BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Engaging Second Gear - Rev Match Off

10-21-2018, 05:18 PM   #1
m34m
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Engaging Second Gear - Rev Match Off

The single most aggravating thing about this car is the inability to shut off rev match without disengagement of nannies and risking your life. I can't understand the reasoning and BMW doesn't have the balls to answer the question every time I ask it on social media.

Anyway had a new experience today. I had DSC off so I could rev match on my own like a proper driver. I was doing around 80km/h in third gear at 4000 rpm. I approached a corner and set up for the downshift when.....the bloody thing refused to go to second. I mean the lever would not slot into second. I thought this must've been an anomaly so I tried this exact manoeuvre two more times with the same result. So I don't think there is a problem with my gearbox, this is likely yet another stupid BMW intervention in an attempt to prevent an over rev (money shift). In other words more idiot proofing. If they are going to do this to manuals then just go all DCT or slush boxes and get it over with. Fuck you and your bullshit BMW just fuck you. I'm sick of the bullshit.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 05:22 PM   #2
kpaso
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

This happened to me yesterday as well!

On two separate occasions, I haven't been able to shift into 2nd gear while doing a run in the canyons. It happens as I'm approaching a very off-camber, tight U-turn so it's extremely frustrating to say the least.

One time there was a car on my ass trying to keep up with me (didn't know him). He almost rear ended me.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 01:18 AM   #3
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Eh, I've had the opposite happen to me recently. At the track, when I go to shift from 3rd to 4th, and it slides into 2nd. I start to let out the clutch, but I feel and hear the engine revving, and immediately slam the clutch back in (luckily I don't think it went past red line). When I try to put it into 4th again, it then slides back into 2nd once more. On my third try it finally goes into 4th.

So I don't think there really is a lock out :shrug:
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 06:29 AM   #4
randyt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 MGM 6MT M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
I had issues shifting for the first time this past Sat.

Downshifting from 4 to 2 on the street it wouldn't drop into second. I was probably doing 20mph so shouldn't have been any issue.

Tried to go to 3rd, and then 4th. No luck on any. Took me probably 8 seconds to get it back into gear, any gear, and by then I was all but stopped.

To me, it felt like the shift linkage just got bound up. Will keep definitely keep an eye on this.

~5,100 mi, no clutch stop.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 09:11 AM   #5
james33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 Lotus Evora

Don't have my M2 yet, but does it have a reverse lock out collar? My FR-S refused to go into 2nd without massive amount of jiggling and nudging. It was the reverse lock out collar that had got stuck half engaged. Easy fix, but that doesn't quite sound like what's happening with y'all.
2015 Scion FR-S
Coming soon - 2019 M2 Competition
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 09:33 AM   #6
GTIGUY1992
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyang92 View Post
Eh, I've had the opposite happen to me recently. At the track, when I go to shift from 3rd to 4th, and it slides into 2nd. I start to let out the clutch, but I feel and hear the engine revving, and immediately slam the clutch back in (luckily I don't think it went past red line). When I try to put it into 4th again, it then slides back into 2nd once more. On my third try it finally goes into 4th.

So I don't think there really is a lock out :shrug:
Lockout for any gear besides reverse is not common in any car I owned, it is usually syncros keeping you from money shifting. If you went to make that money shift (unintentionally) you'd have to hold the shifter right at the gate until eventually the input shaft of your transmission would speed up enough to allow you to engage the gear fully. What RPM & speed were you shifting at?

Unless you really jam/force your gears in, I can't imagine how your syncros are going to overcome that speed differential... Unless 2nd gear is also un-synchronized on the M2? Very strange, but worth a trip to the dealer. Have you been able to repeat the issue?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 06:18 PM   #7
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTIGUY1992 View Post
Lockout for any gear besides reverse is not common in any car I owned, it is usually syncros keeping you from money shifting. If you went to make that money shift (unintentionally) you'd have to hold the shifter right at the gate until eventually the input shaft of your transmission would speed up enough to allow you to engage the gear fully. What RPM & speed were you shifting at?

Unless you really jam/force your gears in, I can't imagine how your syncros are going to overcome that speed differential... Unless 2nd gear is also un-synchronized on the M2? Very strange, but worth a trip to the dealer. Have you been able to repeat the issue?
All I can say (and from what I remember) is that it slotted right in to 2nd, very easily. I was shifting at near red line (~6500) and probably 70-80 mph (tbh not sure - substitute the appropriate speed in 3rd gear). Luckily I wasn't slamming the clutch out as I was going around a long sweeping corner, so the revs had a few moments to drop + I was engaging it more smoothly, so I had time to react to the revs going up and the car being unsettled slightly in the rear.

The fact it happened again immediately after did concern me - it popped in very easily.

That was the first time it happened, and hasn't happened since - 3rd to 4th is a very easy shift, so I'm not sure what happened.

If it does happen again, I'll definitely bring it to the dealer to check it out, although I'm pretty sure they'll say it's user error (Not gonna rule that out)
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 02:27 PM   #8
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

I know that some of the guys racing E36 (I think it was that series) had problems like this, and they'd use some kind of crazy chain mounting reinforcement system. Apparently the squishy motor mounts twist things around to where either the linkage binds up or the shifter doesn't go into the correct gates, or something like that. Maybe this is related.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 1
eeyang92318.50
      11-08-2018, 08:05 AM   #9
XProject
Private
Rep
Drives: Car

m34m why not code it off to turn off rev match?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 11:35 AM   #10
bmxcamel
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI, G01 m40i, E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m34m View Post
The single most aggravating thing about this car is the inability to shut off rev match without disengagement of nannies and risking your life. I can't understand the reasoning and BMW doesn't have the balls to answer the question every time I ask it on social media.

Anyway had a new experience today. I had DSC off so I could rev match on my own like a proper driver. I was doing around 80km/h in third gear at 4000 rpm. I approached a corner and set up for the downshift when.....the bloody thing refused to go to second. I mean the lever would not slot into second. I thought this must've been an anomaly so I tried this exact manoeuvre two more times with the same result. So I don't think there is a problem with my gearbox, this is likely yet another stupid BMW intervention in an attempt to prevent an over rev (money shift). In other words more idiot proofing. If they are going to do this to manuals then just go all DCT or slush boxes and get it over with. Fuck you and your bullshit BMW just fuck you. I'm sick of the bullshit.
$27 for bimmercode, enable the "start car without clutch" and your rev matching is disabled. Problem solved
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 01:14 PM   #11
eatingpizzainthef87rules
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Have done about 1900km of track driving and not had a 2nd gear lockout issue - sometimes mis-shift into 3rd but thats all.

Maybe a mechanical issue with your car?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 01:20 PM   #12
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
On occasion, I've also been unable to downshift into 2nd also. It's not a safety net feature because I was well below the 55-60 mph 2nd gear redline threshold.

It seems to be an intermittent problem for a lot of us. BMW gearbox fuckup.
Appreciate 0