11-04-2018, 02:06 PM   #1
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
First M2 Drive

I found an M2 I was possibly interested in and took a bit of a test drive. The car looks great and is a definite evolution over my 135is. However, I expected the M2 to impress me more than it did. Not that it was bad, maybe I overhyped it in my own mind. The throttle input seemed smoother but also the car seemed less eager compared to my car. I do have a Dinan Stage 2 tune. I also felt like the transmission was smoother and felt less like it was banging through the gears like my 135. I also thought the M2 was much quieter and did not sound as sexy as my PE exhaust.

For street use, I felt the handling was very similar, but somewhat smoother in the M2. Not as bouncy as the 135is. Granted I did switch to non run flat Michelins so maybe that’s why. And the smoothness of the M2 probably has more to do with the longer wheelbase and wider track. I also did not push the M2 very hard, but did drive a little spiritedly.

Obviously, the interior is a little more luxurious but part of the appeal of the 135is is more of the back to basics driving experience.

Just curious about any other 135 to M2 converts and their thoughts. Am I missing something? Should I just wait for an M2C?
Appreciate 1
10"4966.00
      11-04-2018, 02:09 PM   #2
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

You overhyped it. Especially coming from Dinan tune.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 02:35 PM   #3
gk09
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1m

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
I found an M2 I was possibly interested in and took a bit of a test drive. The car looks great and is a definite evolution over my 135is. However, I expected the M2 to impress me more than it did. Not that it was bad, maybe I overhyped it in my own mind. The throttle input seemed smoother but also the car seemed less eager compared to my car. I do have a Dinan Stage 2 tune. I also felt like the transmission was smoother and felt less like it was banging through the gears like my 135. I also thought the M2 was much quieter and did not sound as sexy as my PE exhaust.

For street use, I felt the handling was very similar, but somewhat smoother in the M2. Not as bouncy as the 135is. Granted I did switch to non run flat Michelins so maybe that’s why. And the smoothness of the M2 probably has more to do with the longer wheelbase and wider track. I also did not push the M2 very hard, but did drive a little spiritedly.

Obviously, the interior is a little more luxurious but part of the appeal of the 135is is more of the back to basics driving experience.

Just curious about any other 135 to M2 converts and their thoughts. Am I missing something? Should I just wait for an M2C?
You can't compare a Dinan stage 2 in that little rocket compared to a bone stock M2. I do agree with the acceleration. I felt my 240 was way quicker but I think that's bc the M2 is so refined. That being said, I just bought an 18 M2 because the "overall" driving experience was superior. I've also owned 3 135i's and a 1M so I get your struggle. The 1 series was my favourite platform. With the prices here in the GTA(Toronto), the 18 M2's are being given away.

I ended up with a AW M2 with 3,900 Km's for $56. There's also a black 18 out there for $56,400 with only 5,300kms.

I found that after the car was warmed up after a 10km run she really woke up. Maybe you needed to drive it longer.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 02:41 PM   #4
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
It is a damn sexy car, inside and out. Seeing that the M2C isn’t available in Mineral Grey reinvigorated my search for a gen 1 M2. I get they are the same engine, so maybe with an S55 I will have a different opinion. I guess I’d go with white or Hockenheim Silver if I can’t get Mineral Grey.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 03:43 PM   #5
arquitecto
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 MG 6MT, '03 E39

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2003 BMW 530i  [0.00]
Quote:
In order to fully appreciate the duality of the M2 you need to really push it (on track, canyon carving) and then reflect back to how a car that can be that good in those situations can also be so comfortable and usable day in and day out on the street at normal speeds.

It is easy to make a car a great sports car or a great street car but very difficult to make one car excell at both. I often think of this balance as a pendulum with performance on one end and streetability on the other. What you sacrifice on one end gives you more on the other.

The M2 is not the fastest, sharpest, lightest or even the most comfortable but it does have an incredible overall range of capability. The limits of the car are very high in both performance and daily usability.

Several cars play with this balance but I have found very few cars that can match full range of the pendulum swing (from the performance end of the spectrum to the daily end) that the M2 has right out of the box. It punches well above it’s weight for a car that is this practical and easy to live with.
c1pher4653.50
tranck500.50
      11-04-2018, 07:31 PM   #6
magha
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 AW 6 spd

Went from a tuned 135 that I drove for 9 yrs to an 18M2. The M2 doesn't blow me away in accel but is very smooth and the transmission is fun! Ran a jb4 in the oner so hard to compare but nice to have a smooth accelerating ride

The sound when u go windows down and get it to burble is intoxicating! Gonna get a dp in there soon. Comes alive going in and outta corners!! Wish I had had a LSD in the Oner

All in all great upgrade but I miss the raw steering feel and overall exp in the oner.

Test drove the 1seriesM thought the M2 to be quite close in exp

18 M2 6 Spd AW - VRSF DP / CP & Race FMIC, ER TIC & GFB DV+ with BM3 Stage 2
Retired 09 135 JB4 G5 ISO w/BEF, N54 Tuning Performance DPs, BMS DCI, ER Charge Pipe
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 03:35 PM   #7
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by magha View Post
Went from a tuned 135 that I drove for 9 yrs to an 18M2. The M2 doesn't blow me away in accel but is very smooth and the transmission is fun! Ran a jb4 in the oner so hard to compare but nice to have a smooth accelerating ride

The sound when u go windows down and get it to burble is intoxicating! Gonna get a dp in there soon. Comes alive going in and outta corners!! Wish I had had a LSD in the Oner

All in all great upgrade but I miss the raw steering feel and overall exp in the oner.

Test drove the 1seriesM thought the M2 to be quite close in exp
I didn't even think about the steering, but yeah it felt a little lighter and definitely less NVH compared to the 135is.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 01:28 PM   #8
Tiss'er
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LBB LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by arquitecto View Post
In order to fully appreciate the duality of the M2 you need to really push it (on track, canyon carving) and then reflect back to how a car that can be that good in those situations can also be so comfortable and usable day in and day out on the street at normal speeds.

It is easy to make a car a great sports car or a great street car but very difficult to make one car excell at both. I often think of this balance as a pendulum with performance on one end and streetability on the other. What you sacrifice on one end gives you more on the other.

The M2 is not the fastest, sharpest, lightest or even the most comfortable but it does have an incredible overall range of capability. The limits of the car are very high in both performance and daily usability.

Several cars play with this balance but I have found very few cars that can match full range of the pendulum swing (from the performance end of the spectrum to the daily end) that the M2 has right out of the box. It punches well above it’s weight for a car that is this practical and easy to live with.

This is well said. I find that there are very few if any cars this size that play in this space. Sure, there is the Cayman but I can't throw a bike in the trunk and I can't carry 4 people when the occasion arises. I took a buddy out to Canyon Lake this weekend and he was genuinely shocked by how good the car rode on the freeway, and how it hooked up in the corners when pushing it. He recently had his hip replaced and was totally comfortable for the duration of the drive. He has some very nice cars himself and he was quite complimentary of the M2 and how it plays well on both sides of the spectrum. Perfect car? Nope. But damn if I don't have a smile everytime I'm in it.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 02:27 PM   #9
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiss'er View Post
This is well said. I find that there are very few if any cars this size that play in this space. Sure, there is the Cayman but I can't throw a bike in the trunk and I can't carry 4 people when the occasion arises. I took a buddy out to Canyon Lake this weekend and he was genuinely shocked by how good the car rode on the freeway, and how it hooked up in the corners when pushing it. He recently had his hip replaced and was totally comfortable for the duration of the drive. He has some very nice cars himself and he was quite complimentary of the M2 and how it plays well on both sides of the spectrum. Perfect car? Nope. But damn if I don't have a smile everytime I'm in it.
We own both a 718 and a Stingray and don't really need a back seat (empty nesters). With that said, it is nice to have some extra storage when needed. I may just need to wait for the M2C with S55 motor. I could tune the regular M2 but not sure what real options I have. One thing I like with my Dinan tune on the 135is is that it's flashed and, so far, very reliable with no ill effects on my car. Since Dinan no longer seems to really do that, I kind of feel like that window has closed.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 03:10 PM   #10
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
We own both a 718 and a Stingray and don't really need a back seat (empty nesters). With that said, it is nice to have some extra storage when needed. I may just need to wait for the M2C with S55 motor. I could tune the regular M2 but not sure what real options I have. One thing I like with my Dinan tune on the 135is is that it's flashed and, so far, very reliable with no ill effects on my car. Since Dinan no longer seems to really do that, I kind of feel like that window has closed.
If you tune an M2C it's going to be an absolute animal.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 03:43 PM   #11
OG///M
Always +10MPH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

There are generally two sorts of people in the car enthusiast world.

1. People who understand that proper power is better than more power. And straight line speed is a distant second from a properly balanced chassis which translates to handling bliss.
2. People who put straight line speed and more power over all else and chassis/overall car balance second.

if you are number 1 get the M2
if you are number 2 get the M2C

The beauty of the M2 is not the abundance of power but the balance of power. This includes how the power and torque is delivered.

I do agree that for this character to really shine through, take it to the track at least once.

If you're looking for a hp/tq monster, you should not get the OG M2
Appreciate 5
      11-06-2018, 03:46 PM   #12
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower_FS View Post

1. People who understand that proper power is better than more power. And straight line speed is second from a properly balanced chassis which translate to handling bliss.
2. People who put straight line speed and more power over all else and chassis/overall car balance second.

The beauty of the M2 is not the abundance of power but the balance of power. This includes how the power and torque is delivered.

I do agree that for this character to really shine through, take it to the track at least once.

I understand what you're saying, and not to bash on the OG M2, but several reviews say the S55 power was what was missing from the OG M2 and the chassis does not feel overpowered. However, a nice little tune on the M2 would be fine with me along with not adding any extra weight.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 03:51 PM   #13
OG///M
Always +10MPH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:
I understand what you're saying, and not to bash on the OG M2, but several reviews say the S55 power was what was missing from the OG M2 and the chassis does not feel overpowered. However, a nice little tune on the M2 would be fine with me along with not adding any extra weight.
Respect your opinion. We all have different standards.

Perfect amount of power for me may not mean the perfect amount for you.

But I'll leave you with this.

The fact that they increased the power and weight of the M2C but made no changes to the wheel base, suspension or chassis, do you think it's still balanced the way it was originally designed to be?

I'd say the aforementioned reviews are from the type 2 people where they appreciate the extra power and there's nothing wrong with that.
Appreciate 1
termigni1080.00
      11-06-2018, 06:55 PM   #14
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:

Years ago I had a 135i loaner for about 10 days and it was a hoot. I am sure that your 135 with the great mods that you have makes it a blast. Hard to compare a substantially modified car to a factory spec car. I suspect if you were to track them back to back the M2 would shine a bit more. Having said that most of use don't primarily drive on the track.

Hard to compare a two good cars when you have lived with and loved one for years and driven the other on a short test drive. The M2 gets a lot of hype but I think much is earned. Of course if your coming from a solid performer it will be difficult to meet 3 years of media hype.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 07:34 PM   #15
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Quote:

1. People who understand that proper power is better than more power. And straight line speed is a distant second from a properly balanced chassis which translates to handling bliss.

cool dude, nice way of putting it,

makes me happy i did dinan stage 4 to OG
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 07:36 PM   #16
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Quote:
yea keeping the og weight and adding tune is good combo
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 11:42 PM   #17
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Respect your opinion. We all have different standards.

Perfect amount of power for me may not mean the perfect amount for you.

But I'll leave you with this.

The fact that they increased the power and weight of the M2C but made no changes to the wheel base, suspension or chassis, do you think it's still balanced the way it was originally designed to be?

I'd say the aforementioned reviews are from the type 2 people where they appreciate the extra power and there's nothing wrong with that.
I guess I always thought BMW put the N55 in the M2 because they wanted a clean slot below the M3/4 and then even with the S55, they detuned it because it would otherwise outshine the M3/4.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 01:41 AM   #18
GerardzM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Most likely didn't shove the s55 in the first place because they had no idea how the M2 would do sales wise.

N55 is cheaper then the S55 so if it flopped...oh well, they could have just made it another parts bin unicorn like the 1M.

The car is the exact opposite of what is currently trending in the automotive world.

Low and behold, the hype, praise and success of the "OG" has lead us to where we are now.

.....with more to come!
Appreciate 1