BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > How have mods affected your resale?

10-23-2017, 10:11 AM   #1
dcmac
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 LCI M2

How have mods affected your resale?

Hi all,

Interested to know feedback from those of you who have modded your car and then sold it. Was it an issue for buyers? Did you feel you had to knock your price down? Did you swap back your stock parts and individually sell your aftermarket parts?

I have a strong desire to mod my M2 (I'm thinking FMIC + full exhaust + tune) but I'm conscious of the fact I'll likely need to move onto something bigger in around 5 years time, should the family expand. As a buyer myself I'd always prefer to buy a stock used car, which is making me reluctant to pull the trigger.

There's also the issue of voiding many elements of my warranty too, particularly if I decide to tune it. But I think I've come to terms with that. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

To preempt a response I am expecting, yes, I totally agree it's a fantastic car to enjoy stock... but with so much potential and fun to be had from some basic mods, I'm not sure if I'm worrying too much over this resale thing years down the track.

In terms of how I will be driving the car... it'll be my daily, and I hope to track it at least 2-3 times a year in the summer, for a bit of fun.

Your thoughts appreciated!
Thanks
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2017, 10:47 AM   #2
iQuiet
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW M2

That's why I go with an ESS tune, it's like stock and can't tell anything, and M performance exhaust definitely will not lower the resale if anything it may bump it up a little as its OEM.

And a FMIC like Wagner, you can't even tell the difference from how it looks, so you'll be fine!

So..
- Wagner Evo 2 Comp FMIC
- M performance exhaust
- ESS Stage 2 tune software
- Aluminium Chargepipes
- Wagner DP if you want to
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 10:51 AM   #3
Dav3
Major
Rep
Drives: G87 M2/E89 35is/F21 M140i/GT4

Err it really depends on how you decide to play it

I'm somewhat in your same boat and this is how I think I will do it

EVO Wagner Intercooler - It apparently is plug&play and doesn't require cutting. Just keep the Stock Intercooler in garage and swap when ready to sell

200 Cell Downpipe - Same logic as above but the new owner get's a barely used stock downpipe. They all throw a CEL down the road so you're doing the future buyer a favour and can even use it in your advantage to play with the sale price, kinda

Tune - 2 Sensor or multi-sensor piggyback. Get a reputable/known brand. JB4 or Dinan. Either will have demand on the used market in the future.

In regard to warranty with this setup you don't need to worry. Install the tune yourself so that you're familiar with removing it when you have to take it for service or repair. Keep the valve's closed when inside the dealership and don't mention or boast about the car being tuned
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2017, 03:21 PM   #4
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Mods rarely if ever add value to the car, a buddy of mine put a fortune into his C6 Vette, coilover suspension, supercharger, meth injection etc and struggled to sell if for low blue book, he ended up finding a dealer who exported high power cars to the middle east and he was able to sell it for wholesale blue book. That is an extreme example because a 600 whp Vette has a pretty narrow market.

In your case you have a couple of things going for you, one is your planned mods are not extreme and are reversible, the other is your talking about the ability to sell the car in 5 years, the value will be much lower at that time so buyers are less risk averse when they are shelling out a smaller amount of money for a 5 year old car.

Since your talking about a 5 year horizon I would just buy and mod the car as you see fit and I wouldn't worry too much about resaleabilty. The guys that get hammered are the ones that dump a ton of money into mods and then trade the car in a year or two later.

Not many mods will add value to a car, I see SEMA show cars that are up for sale all the time for a tiny fraction of what they have into the car so as long as you don't have an expectation of appreciating the value you will be ok.

I do recommend doing the whole front of the car in Xpel and the rockers as well as an expanded area in front of the rear wheels. My car just went over 1 year and 20,000 miles and I was inspecting my xpel and it has protected my car against some terrible things. A 5 year old car in super clean condition with mild mods will likely sell easier than one with a bunch of chips in it that is stock.
Appreciate 1
doug_9992538.50
      10-23-2017, 05:27 PM   #5
MineralGreyMetallic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 BGM M2 6MT

This is a great question.

What about OEM parts that are considered more "invasive" than exhaust. M Performance Coilovers for example. Is the car still considered "not stock" if it has BMW-installed OEM parts? How does that play out at sale / trade in time?

Anyone with first hand experience on this type of thing would be very helpful.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 05:53 PM   #6
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

If you go by the cliche; it's only original once, then doing mods, especially outside of OEM means less value down the road. This normally applies to classic or limited cars, but one can not tell the future of what will become what.

My buddy just spent a fortune on an original exhaust for his E30. Going aftermarket or performance was not even in his mind. Of course that car has become cult-like so he will easily get his money back unless the market demand goes completely under.

Also add in that some people should not even be allowed to touch a wrench because it will be a given that they F something up along the way.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 05:57 PM   #7
STK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralGreyMetallic View Post

What about OEM parts that are considered more "invasive" than exhaust. M Performance Coilovers for example. Is the car still considered "not stock" if it has BMW-installed OEM parts? How does that play out at sale / trade in time?

I think folks in the used car market are looking for signals that the car was treated gently. They want the little old lady that took it to see the grandkids. Or the anal guy that washes it weekly, doesn't drive in the rain, and has expel with a coating on top. Performance mods signal the car was driven hard even if it wasn't. And with a non-approved mod (other than Dinan) that that might have been installed incorrectly by a shop or will cause trouble by throwing codes, etc., you can understand why potential buyers would be wary. Even someone looking for mods will have their own opinions. How many aftermarket exhausts are there? I think half the fun for folks that mid are choosing the mods and installing them themselves if they can.

So long story short, you'll be lucky to not to diminish the car's value. That said, you're going to have the car for five years. Get what you want, return it stock for sale, leave no trace, and sell the stuff in the aftermarket. The mods will depreciate more than the car but you'll get some money and five years of driving the car you want. Just don't go nuts. Anyway, my two cents and good luck!
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2017, 09:08 PM   #8
dcmac
Lieutenant
Rep

All good feedback - thank you.

If I put myself in the used car buyer shoes, I would much rather buy a used M2 with a stock (or MPE) exhaust, for the reasons STK mentions. If I do make the call to mod it, I'd be bolting back on the stock exhaust before selling.

The bigger issue I see is the fact a tune might cause all sorts of issues when it comes to regular servicing and warranty by BMW. But that's another issue!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 09:10 PM   #9
dcmac
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralGreyMetallic View Post

I can only go by personal opinion here... but if I were looking for a used M2, I would actually consider factory (well, port installed if we're being specific) M performance additions like the MPE and the M Performance suspension bonuses.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 09:13 PM   #10
dcmac
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post

I do recommend doing the whole front of the car in Xpel and the rockers as well as an expanded area in front of the rear wheels. My car just went over 1 year and 20,000 miles and I was inspecting my xpel and it has protected my car against some terrible things. A 5 year old car in super clean condition with mild mods will likely sell easier than one with a bunch of chips in it that is stock.
Will definitely be doing this. Colorado roads are horrible for rock chips... my car would be ruined within weeks without it.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 11:37 PM   #11
Ian ///M
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 (DCT)

There will definitely be some sexy hip chips on this car a few years down the road
Appreciate 0