BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2 transmission: do you prefer manual or M-DCT ?

View Poll Results: M2 transmission: do you prefer manual or double-clutch ?
Manual transmission 451 61.61%
M-DCT Drivelogic 281 38.39%
Voters: 732. You may not vote on this poll

09-11-2017, 08:19 PM   #375
six-n-twins53
Amateur Tattoo Artist
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=24

"I think your daughter is much better off learning on an ACTUAL manual car like the Mini Cooper or the 1M. ( the 1M *does* have hill holder , so if the Mini doesn't .. then the Mini is the best " school car " in your household)

That way she actually learns what a clutch friction point is, and how to modulate a clutch."

The NOT actual manual car that is being referred to here is the 6MT M2......

Rev matches for you, hill hold, gets the car started for you in first from a stop, anti stall feature according to that thread. So is it driving for you? Is that the manual transmission you know and love for your "I feel so connected to the car because I'm actually driving" experience?

Picking your own gear is pretty much all you're doing with the default settings on the 6MT..... wow
I think you're replacing actual experience with internet forum education. The assist devices do very little. And just picking your own gear? I assume from your post you don't know how to drive a manual as evidence by your silly last sentence. Relax and enjoy your automatic!
Appreciate 1
amw896582.50
      09-11-2017, 08:56 PM   #376
mtoosexy
Captain
Rep
Drives: It like I stole It.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by six-n-twins53 View Post
I think you're replacing actual experience with internet forum education. The assist devices do very little. And just picking your own gear? I assume from your post you don't know how to drive a manual as evidence by your silly last sentence. Relax and enjoy your automatic!
I bet he thinks microwaves are better than ovens; or gas grills are better than charcoal grill ; or glamping is better than tent camping. Yes, push-button-go-fast/easy is nice but...
If someone needs an explanation of manual transmission connectivity...the point is lost.
      09-11-2017, 10:11 PM   #377
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB DCT (LCI) | X3 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtoosexy View Post
I bet he thinks microwaves are better than ovens; or gas grills are better than charcoal grill ; or glamping is better than tent camping. Yes, push-button-go-fast/easy is nice but...
I think that the reason so many folks are passionate, one way or the other on the transmissions, is that they are both very very good.

We've got (or admire) a car that is seriously capable, and one very important part of that is that BMW have given us the choice to enjoy the car in a variety of ways.

My opinion only, but there are no loosers here with their transmission choice: we're all winners
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 10:14 PM   #378
mtoosexy
Captain
Rep
Drives: It like I stole It.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Smurf
Quote:
I think that the reason so many folks are passionate, one way or the other on the transmissions, is that they are both very very good.

We've got (or admire) a car that is seriously capable, and one very important part of that is that BMW have given us the choice to enjoy the car in a variety of ways.

My opinion only, but there are no loosers here with their transmission choice: we're all winners
: truth!
      09-11-2017, 10:43 PM   #379
M2-007
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 - April 2018 Delivery

For me, part of the fun in driving is playing with the manual transmission. So I must have MT to enjoy driving to the fullest. There are only 2 situations where I want to drive an automatic.

1. Daily driving in heavy stop and go traffic
2. When it is more fun to hold the hand of the girl sitting in the passenger seat than holding the stick shift
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 11:59 PM   #380
430409M2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ///M2 PE

As much as I love driving a manual, I've never tested a modern turbo car that felt as visceral as a manual mated to a N/A motor. I haven't test terribly many cars to be frank, but I assume that Porsche is getting rarer in the category of sweet manual boxes. The box in the m235i was very disconnected and soft.
1991 e30 318is || Alpine White || Manual ||
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 12:08 AM   #381
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Smurf View Post

I'm very impressed by this comment... sums up the situation perfectly.

I'm personally going with 6MT, but even though my car is now in production, I'm still unsure if I made the right choice.

I've driven manual all my life apart from my current and soon to be replaced car, which has a ZF 6-speed which is the predecessor to, and is nearly as good as the well regarded ZF 8-speed in a lot of BMWs today.

When visiting my parents in June this year (back in England), I borrowed my father's manual transmission car. His car is anything but sporty, but it reminded me how much I enjoyed manual, and I therefore placed my order that way.

Having said that, the DCT box is really really good, and I do see the trend that in regions where manual has been dominant and customers have been reluctant to buy auto boxes for years (like the UK), DCT is being seen as finally an acceptable alternative to manual, most likely because it is quicker, and still entertaining. In regions where auto boxes are dominant and have been for years (like the US), enthusiasts see DCT as still automatic, and the manual sales are higher.

Both opinions are correct, and that's perhaps why, along with the fact that I'm a Brit living in the US, that I'm conflicted about my order.

But hey... if I don't like 6MT, I can probably sell it and order a new DCT in a year without loosing too much on it!

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 1
V.Smurf163.00
      09-12-2017, 12:37 AM   #382
M2Gezr
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2

Nezil - I just picked up a 2018 M2 6MT on Saturday unexpectedly when the original person backed out of the deal. Being a Brit too living in LA, I have always driven stick except for recently in my Jeep/500e vehicles. I will say the 6 speed transmission on this car is awesome and its great to be driving a manual car again. I test drove a DCT and was very impressed however I knew going in that I wanted a 6 speed. You will not be disappointed!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 12:53 AM   #383
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Gezr View Post
Nezil - I just picked up a 2018 M2 6MT on Saturday unexpectedly when the original person backed out of the deal. Being a Brit too living in LA, I have always driven stick except for recently in my Jeep/500e vehicles. I will say the 6 speed transmission on this car is awesome and its great to be driving a manual car again. I test drove a DCT and was very impressed however I knew going in that I wanted a 6 speed. You will not be disappointed!
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I have to say that coming from someone who lives in LA, your traffic is far worse than ours up here in NorCal, so if it's OK for you, I should be fine!

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 03:46 PM   #384
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

Quote:
Originally Posted by six-n-twins53 View Post
He just likes stirring the pot, which is okay, nothing wrong with getting people riled up a bit.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 03:53 PM   #385
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

Quote:
If someone needs an explanation of manual transmission connectivity...the point is lost.
The point has been lost along time ago, and this will happen at every generation change. Time is the equalizer of just about everything. Not getting it works both ways a as well, accepting change is easier for some than others and many will fight hard to argue which system is better. Being open minded and keeping up and relevant is key, but is getting tougher as time accelerates beyond comprehension.

In the end, what is the right tool for the job?....and do you have the time?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 04:48 PM   #386
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
I'm very impressed by this comment... sums up the situation perfectly.

I'm personally going with 6MT, but even though my car is now in production, I'm still unsure if I made the right choice.

I've driven manual all my life apart from my current and soon to be replaced car, which has a ZF 6-speed which is the predecessor to, and is nearly as good as the well regarded ZF 8-speed in a lot of BMWs today.

When visiting my parents in June this year (back in England), I borrowed my father's manual transmission car. His car is anything but sporty, but it reminded me how much I enjoyed manual, and I therefore placed my order that way.

Having said that, the DCT box is really really good, and I do see the trend that in regions where manual has been dominant and customers have been reluctant to buy auto boxes for years (like the UK), DCT is being seen as finally an acceptable alternative to manual, most likely because it is quicker, and still entertaining. In regions where auto boxes are dominant and have been for years (like the US), enthusiasts see DCT as still automatic, and the manual sales are higher.

Both opinions are correct, and that's perhaps why, along with the fact that I'm a Brit living in the US, that I'm conflicted about my order.

But hey... if I don't like 6MT, I can probably sell it and order a new DCT in a year without loosing too much on it!
As someone who is also conflicted over transmission, and made the same choice as you, I hope I don't regret it.

My current car is 6MT but it's a bad gearbox and weird clutch; it has put a bad taste in my mouth for manuals.

My previous car was a VW DCT and not only did I never have any problems with it, the launch control was fun, feeling like a rally driver was fun, I could focus more on braking points and weight balance at HPDEs, and I didn't mind getting stuck in traffic nearly as much... but my left leg did get kind of bored and I missed driving a manual, which is why I got into the car I have now.

I'm hoping that between the BMW manual being overall better than my current manual, plus having the bonus of auto rev-matching (I can do it myself, but if the car is better at it than me I'd rather have the car do it), I won't be regretting my choice. If the DCT was only a $500 option, I probably would've taken it, but I didn't want to pay $2900 for the more-complicated and more-prone-to-failure system.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 07:59 PM   #387
clemsonkev
OOOO another former Audi B5 S4 owner OOOO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 997 Carrera S (sold the M2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
The manual does drive for you, it has rev match. If you would prefer to do it all yourself, buy a different car.
LOL...
turn off all the nannies you softie.
      09-12-2017, 09:40 PM   #388
look585
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrickid View Post
People living in the past want the manual transmission!
And people living in the present want to be spoon fed and lazy.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 10:32 PM   #389
clemsonkev
United_States
Rep

Manual > DCT > self driving cars
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 07:28 AM   #390
3Si
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 M2, 16 Macan S, 08 Elise SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Smurf View Post
But there's one clear loser when both cars are on a drag strip.

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 07:35 AM   #391
clemsonkev
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Si View Post
But there's one clear loser when both cars are on a drag strip.
Drag strip? LMAO... you bought an M2 for the drag strip?! Heard of a Hellcat?

The clear loser is the automatic on the back twisty country road where the manual shines..... and the reason most of us bought ours: driver engagement!

Have fun letting the computer shift your gears for you. Your welcome to borrow my son's Xbox too. About the same thing.
      09-13-2017, 07:41 AM   #392
clemsonkev
United_States
Rep

Chris Harris in the M2: "you can have a paddle shifter if you want to. trust me you dont!"

09-13-2017, 08:25 AM   #393
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

There should be an "I don't know how to drive manual" option.
      09-13-2017, 08:53 AM   #394
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

09-13-2017, 09:27 AM   #395
3Si
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 M2, 16 Macan S, 08 Elise SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonkev View Post
Drag strip? LMAO... you bought an M2 for the drag strip?! Heard of a Hellcat?

The clear loser is the automatic on the back twisty country road where the manual shines..... and the reason most of us bought ours: driver engagement!

Have fun letting the computer shift your gears for you. Your welcome to borrow my son's Xbox too. About the same thing.
Sorry, DCT will still beat manual in the back twisty country roads.

I feel just as engaged driving a DCT on the track as a manual. I do however feel much more engaged driving my Lotus than the M2, and it's NOT because of the transmission. There's much more to "driver engagement" than the transmission. Please don't talk to me about computer shift when your transmission will heel/toe for you.

And while I didn't beat a Hellcat, I was happy to beat a GT350 at the drag strip.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 09:33 AM   #396
clemsonkev
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Si View Post
Sorry, DCT will still beat manual in the back twisty country roads.

I feel just as engaged driving a DCT on the track as a manual. I do however feel much more engaged driving my Lotus than the M2, and it's NOT because of the transmission. There's much more to "driver engagement" than the transmission. Please don't talk to me about computer shift when your transmission will heel/toe for you.

And while I didn't beat a Hellcat, I was happy to beat a GT350 at the drag strip.
you mad bro?

you too can trade for a manual..... after you learn how 2 use