Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by natmad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Didn't edit substance just refined points haha. Admittedly the original link was a unique example. And I didn't say he wasn't a knowledgeable poster. But given my first hand knowledge on this one, I had to step in on what was pseudo facts based on an absence of personal experience and not because he is an engineer or tech at BMW. Just because someone posts a lot and seems knowledge doesn't mean they are infallible. I sure as shit have been wrong before.
I was hoping to see something, for the very first time on the internet...

Someone admitting that someone else is a little more correct than they are.

But, nobody's ever 'wrong' on the internet.

it sure is entertaining sometimes, though.

I feel that. Although I have found myself admitting I was wrong more and more in the past when it's clear I'm not. It's just easier on the noob who joins and doesn't know any better. And to be completely honest, for some reason some of the guys on the F80/2 forums are more willing to admit they may be wrong than on the F87 one. Someone should do a case study on that. I have seen the wildest shit on this forum, from a poster who felony level vandalizes cars who park in his driveway to posters throwing discount tires on an M2. I'm sure those guys exist on the F80/2 forums, but I've "noticed" it more here for some reason. Reminds me of the Camaro6 forums when I took my very brief detour with an American car.

Okay... rambling done.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 2
natmad667.00
AUSf222689.50
      06-13-2019, 06:44 PM   #24
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroFx View Post
Can they detect tuning boxes such as JB?
If they have to eat the cost of a 30k engine they will investigate as best they can for some kind of tune.
Appreciate 1
natmad667.00
      06-13-2019, 07:22 PM   #25
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

No need to get personal and psychoanalyze any member here for their beliefs. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. All my money still stays in my account and the sun will still rises in the east tomorrow.

I have Geico mechanical breakdown coverage to supplement my warranty anyway, so I'm not bias or couldn't give a rats ass if they deny my claim for a piggyback. However, I know from personal experience and logical reasoning; an external ECU can't be detected when removed.

If someone wants to rebut and prove me wrong that a removed piggyback can still be detected, just supplied some official proof, not just anecdotal, contaminated information. I will be happy to change my opinion. Other than that, it's just an ignorant fear.

All the same to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 07:37 PM   #26
natmad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, M3C Build Week 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
No need to get personal and psychoanalyze any member here for their beliefs. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. All my money still stays in my account and the sun will still rises in the east tomorrow.

I have Geico mechanical breakdown coverage to supplement my warranty anyway, so I'm not bias or could give a rats ass if they deny my claim for a piggyback. However, I know from personal experience an external ECU can't be detected when removed.

If someone wants to rebut and prove me wrong that a removed piggyback can still be detected, just supplied some official proof, not just anecdotal, contaminated information. I will be happy to change my opinion. Other than that, it's just an ignorant fear.

All the same to me.
Nobody got personal... I called you a knowledgeable poster.

So, as it stands then.

One party to the discussion doesn’t know anyone who has been denied warranty coverage, under the described circumstances.

Another party to the discussion knows two people who have been denied warranty coverage, under the described circumstances.

So, it’s a draw.

Next topic for $1,000 Alex.

BTW... My M2C is on the way to Bremerhaven.

Yes!

Edit: I feel like Artemis, the moderator. Haha
Appreciate 1
Thescout134947.00
      06-13-2019, 07:40 PM   #27
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Attached Images

Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 1
natmad667.00
      06-13-2019, 07:42 PM   #28
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I have Geico mechanical breakdown coverage to supplement my warranty anyway, so I'm not bias or could give a rats ass if they deny my claim for a piggyback. However, I know from personal experience an external ECU can't be detected when removed.

All the same to me.

So, as it stands then.

One party to the discussion doesn't know anyone who has been denied warranty coverage, under the described circumstances.

Another party to the discussion knows two people who have been denied warranty coverage, under the described circumstances.

So, it's a draw.

Yes!

Edit: I feel like Artemis, the moderator. Haha
Congrats dude!! Hope you love the car. Please post tons of pics and your impressions after you get it. Look forward to it!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 07:44 PM   #29
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

All the same to me.

So, as it stands then.

One party to the discussion doesn't know anyone who has been denied warranty coverage, under the described circumstances.

So, it's a draw.

Yes!
Congratulations on the new car, you must be on Cloud Nine.

Do you have proof like a link of the claims you made regarding folks who where denied coverage?

I bet you a full tank of gas I could find the reason for their denial other than a JB4.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 07:46 PM   #30
natmad
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Congratulations on the new car, you must be on Cloud Nine.

Do you have proof like a link of the claims you made regarding folks who where denied coverage?

I bet you a full tank of gas I could find the reason for their denial other than a JB4.
I made no claims.

I’m the moderator wanna be!

Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      06-13-2019, 08:06 PM   #31
ZeroFx
Major
Rep
Drives: M4x

I did read that the new ecu can detect out of spec readings which can show a piggy back. But as usual no hard evidence. Given how smart cars are now I'd hate to be the proof they can when I blow a tranny
Appreciate 1
natmad667.00
      06-13-2019, 08:10 PM   #32
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroFx View Post
I'd hate to be the proof they can when I blow a tranny
Probably poor choice of words.
Appreciate 12
natmad667.00
cptobvious2531.50
Supernaut391.00
pz6193278.50
gmazet308.00
Defiant2282.50
AndrewC198910932.50
Davil6558.50
hz101171.00
epic133.50
BAN_M2C4185.00
      06-13-2019, 08:16 PM   #33
natmad
First Lieutenant
Rep

Buhuwahahaha!!!

This place is entertaining!

I knew what he meant.
Appreciate 2
cptobvious2531.50
gmazet308.00
      06-13-2019, 08:51 PM   #34
Chopper731
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if you're doing something to the vehicle that you feel the need to hide in the event it needs repairs then you are committing fraud.
      06-13-2019, 08:56 PM   #35
aerokubectl
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper731 View Post
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if you're doing something to the vehicle that you feel the need to hide in the event it needs repairs then you are committing fraud.
Eh. People remove mods to limit the amount of stupid questions and avoid invalid denials of warranty.

It's like the dealer denying you engine warranty because you added a new cat back.

If your engine blows after you add a tune, then yes it's fraud. It doesn't matter if it's rods or the tranny...you're adding variables that the manufacturer did not certify or account for. Want a warranty? Use the spec that was sold to you.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 09:06 PM   #36
ZeroFx
Major
Rep
Drives: M4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Probably poor choice of words.
LOL genius
Appreciate 1
natmad667.00
      06-13-2019, 11:16 PM   #37
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Well. Entertaining thread on many levels.

I've never been into tuning, but I'm surprised Dinan doesn't offer a tune for the M2C. Anyone know why?
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 12:10 AM   #38
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Well. Entertaining thread on many levels.

I've never been into tuning, but I'm surprised Dinan doesn't offer a tune for the M2C. Anyone know why?
With the popularity and availability of flash tunes, at this time, I don't think they see it as being a worthwhile investment to make a Dinantronics unit specific to the M2C.

Someone here claims that the tune for the M4 works for the M2C but I know Dinan makes their units specific to each individual vehicle's stock mapping (base, CP, CS, MPPK, etc) so I don't really trust that suggestion unless it's official.
Appreciate 1
KevinM2935.50
      06-14-2019, 11:08 AM   #39
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:

I have Geico mechanical breakdown coverage to supplement my warranty anyway, so I'm not bias or couldn't give a rats ass if they deny my claim for a piggyback. However, I know from personal experience and logical reasoning; an external ECU can't be detected when removed.

All the same to me.
The external ECU or your piggyback will not be detected after it is removed. The difference in engine behavior during the time that it was connected will be recorded. As the expert from BM3 stated, the car has over 30 ECUs recording data. If there is a catastrophic engine failure maybe BMW will catch you out, maybe not.
Appreciate 1
natmad667.00
      06-14-2019, 11:32 AM   #40
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
Quote:

All the same to me.
The external ECU or your piggyback will not be detected after it is removed. The difference in engine behavior during the time that it was connected will be recorded. As the expert from BM3 stated, the car has over 30 ECUs recording data. If there is a catastrophic engine failure maybe BMW will catch you out, maybe not.
The ECU has set parameters that when it's not in-sync with each other, it triggers a shadow code: 201101 DME.

For instance, a request for 30lbs of boost and not enough fueling or timing to support the demand. The ECU interpret these abnormalities as a device being used to manipulating its set data, as it was design to do and in turn leaves a permanent etching noting this event.

It has the same the same program for usage of a "mileage blocker" (self-explanatory) to detect abnormalities in the mileage count and distance traveled.

The most aggressive piggyback on the market only targets the most 4lbs of boost, which is within the realm of safety "plausibility" margin the manufacture built in for normal operation. And some advance piggybacks like Dinan adjust for fuel and timing also so there is no mismanage power in the first place, to trigger a code.

Not to keep going but I know for a fact if there is no "shadow codes" and you disconnect the piggyback and reset the adaptions; it will be like it was never there in the first place.

All this fear-mongering is related to ignorance of how a actually works and a few idiots who leave other evidence of tampering, so the dealer finds and puts two and two together and deny the claim but not considering the 1,000s who use them successfully.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 12:05 PM   #41
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

I just don't want to broadcast a false sense of security to someone who runs a piggyback thinking that there is zero risk that BMW will find out about it. There is risk. Granted a catastrophic engine failure is rare but some people can't afford a $20k engine (very conservative estimate.)

Last edited by AlpsRider; 06-14-2019 at 12:59 PM..
Appreciate 1
natmad667.00
      06-15-2019, 05:29 PM   #42
aerokubectl
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C

I have no clue how an ECU is programmed internally but as a software developer I can tell you one thing for sure. We log as much as feasibly possible so we can fix issues in the future. I'd be very very surprised if the logs on the ECU don't show logs that are out of spec.

The question is, does the dealer know how to pull internal logs and can he decipher tbem(my answer is likely not)

Anyone thinking a piggyback can't be detected either thinks BMW software devs are noobs or doesn't understand software.
Appreciate 1
Thescout134947.00
      06-15-2019, 05:35 PM   #43
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetsnazos View Post
I have no clue how an ECU is programmed internally but as a software developer I can tell you one thing for sure. We log as much as feasibly possible so we can fix issues in the future. I'd be very very surprised if the logs on the ECU don't show logs that are out of spec.

The question is, does the dealer know how to pull internal logs and can he decipher tbem(my answer is likely not)

Anyone thinking a piggyback can't be detected either thinks BMW software devs are noobs or doesn't understand software.
This. This has been my point all along.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 05:53 PM   #44
Poochie
United_States
Rep

While you guys keep speculating and worrying about unfounded assumptions, I'll keep successfully and gleefully keep using my Dinan piggyback.

Love the linear power + throttle response it adds and as far as warranty is concerned; Dinan just recently paid to tens of thousands of dollars to replace a customer's motor, without a hitch, when the dealer told him to go kick rocks.

I had a Dinantronics tune on two separate vehicles for many years and I'm 100% satisfied. Looking forward to using it in any of my future vehicles.

Engine warranty void by BMW, DINAN covers. https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1614332

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=24915048
Appreciate 0