Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2C89 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TemjinX2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRAVE View Post
I would like to believe the used marked follows closely to that of the e9x M3. Production numbers are lower, especially factoring in the 3 variants of the M3.

To me, the allure of the the M2 is the small form factor, light weight, styling and perfect engine. I've had the F80 M3 and thought it was too much power. I can only imagine what that would be like on an M2. Increased weight plus what I believe to be worse looking, I'd stick with the OG.
Well the M2c and the new coming M2 CS will always push the M2 OG down...just wondering what the delta will be between the bottom price of a CPO m2 OG and a slightly used M2c.

If the delta is only like 7k it might be worth it just to get the M2c with the s55 engine and m4 seats.

I'm hoping the M2 OG will follow the e92 m3 depreciate scale but i think the depreciation line won't be as steep as the e92 since the M2 2016-2017 supply seems kinda low compared to early e92 m3 numbers.
I don't think the demographic of the people interested in buying these cars used in 5-10 years is going to care about production numbers. As in, they're not going to seek out an OG M2 specially for that reason. Those people are probably looking to get into an M2 at the cheapest price point possible because it's now fallen into their budget range.

This isn't the type of car which is going to appreciate in value, unless you're talking in 20-30 years and the car is in mint condition, THEN you might have a negligible interest from super enthusiasts.
It for sure won't appreciate. I also don't think people are looking for it because of low production numbers. Low production numbers drive up price because inventory is low and it's hard to find what you want. E9x are starting to get old, high mileage, and the engine has poor reliability. The people in the market for the E9x will slowly shift over to buying a used M2. I was actually in the market for one but with the discount on a 2018, I wasn't ready to deal with the older technology and possible engine maintenance.

Look for a used E92 and you'll find it a bit difficult to find exactly what you want with low miles. While the low amount of options, only 1 interior, and 4 color options may make it easier to find inventory, I think the 2018 OG LCI is what people will look for. The 2018 is produced in limited numbers as people stop ordering them as they waited for the 2019.

No car should be purchased in the hopes of appreciation. That takes years unless you buy a car with production numbers below 500 like the 1M. But even then with interest and insurance, your at best breaking even. On top of that your worried to drive the car because you don't want to put miles on it.

I would say 6-7 year before we see any M2s dropping below 30k.
Current 2020 X7 50i
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 03:36 AM   #24
goku7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C ED 08/2019

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TemjinX2 View Post
Quote:
I would like to believe the used marked follows closely to that of the e9x M3. Production numbers are lower, especially factoring in the 3 variants of the M3.

To me, the allure of the the M2 is the small form factor, light weight, styling and perfect engine. I've had the F80 M3 and thought it was too much power. I can only imagine what that would be like on an M2. Increased weight plus what I believe to be worse looking, I'd stick with the OG.
Well the M2c and the new coming M2 CS will always push the M2 OG down...just wondering what the delta will be between the bottom price of a CPO m2 OG and a slightly used M2c.

If the delta is only like 7k it might be worth it just to get the M2c with the s55 engine and m4 seats.

I'm hoping the M2 OG will follow the e92 m3 depreciate scale but i think the depreciation line won't be as steep as the e92 since the M2 2016-2017 supply seems kinda low compared to early e92 m3 numbers.
I don't think the demographic of the people interested in buying these cars used in 5-10 years is going to care about production numbers. As in, they're not going to seek out an OG M2 specially for that reason. Those people are probably looking to get into an M2 at the cheapest price point possible because it's now fallen into their budget range.

This isn't the type of car which is going to appreciate in value, unless you're talking in 20-30 years and the car is in mint condition, THEN you might have a negligible interest from super enthusiasts.
It for sure won't appreciate. I also don't think people are looking for it because of low production numbers. Low production numbers drive up price because inventory is low and it's hard to find what you want. E9x are starting to get old, high mileage, and the engine has poor reliability. The people in the market for the E9x will slowly shift over to buying a used M2. I was actually in the market for one but with the discount on a 2018, I wasn't ready to deal with the older technology and possible engine maintenance.

Look for a used E92 and you'll find it a bit difficult to find exactly what you want with low miles. While the low amount of options, only 1 interior, and 4 color options may make it easier to find inventory, I think the 2018 OG LCI is what people will look for. The 2018 is produced in limited numbers as people stop ordering them as they waited for the 2019.

No car should be purchased in the hopes of appreciation. That takes years unless you buy a car with production numbers below 500 like the 1M. But even then with interest and insurance, your at best breaking even. On top of that your worried to drive the car because you don't want to put miles on it.

I would say 6-7 year before we see any M2s dropping below 30k.
I am thinking it will follow the resale for e36 m3. Difficult to find clean examples. Easy to find abused or high mileage ones.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 10:55 AM   #25
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

Quote:

i'm talking about low productions numbers in regards to supply for the market. Low supply will reduce the amount of depreciation. The e9x m3 was the highest selling M car BMW has ever had until the f8x series of M cars.

Therefore more then likely a lot more supply of e9x m3 cars in the used market initially, so i have doubts it that the OG m2 will follow the e9x m3 depreciate curve. Since 2016 was a short production year and BMW quickly transitioned to the 2017, but i'm hoping i'm wrong.

my statement has no regards to appreciation or classic status in cars. If i was good at that i would've bought up all the porsches 10yrs ago..lol
Appreciate 0