08-17-2016, 04:53 AM   #23
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by redux View Post

Yes, he's so terrible at reviewing cars that was able to make a living out from it for 30 years. Look at his print work outside of the top gear brand and you may find that his style has been copied by many of our favorite automotive writers today.
Just because his "style" has been copied, and he's been very successful, it doesn't mean his reviews have any merit. He writes to entertain primarily, and changes his mind like the wind. I don't take any notice of what he says about cars.
Appreciate 1
Needsdecaf6510.00
      08-17-2016, 06:27 AM   #24
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat
Quote:

Yes, he's so terrible at reviewing cars that was able to make a living out from it for 30 years. Look at his print work outside of the top gear brand and you may find that his style has been copied by many of our favorite automotive writers today.
Just because his "style" has been copied, and he's been very successful, it doesn't mean his reviews have any merit. He writes to entertain primarily, and changes his mind like the wind. I don't take any notice of what he says about cars.
+1

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 07:16 AM   #25
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Austin Maxi

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinm3 View Post
+1
+ + 1

There's no love coming from me either.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 07:45 AM   #26
weyland
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E9TOU View Post
I don't think Europe gets the GT350. Either way, the Mustang GT is a very capable car -- although I am surprised it made this list since Clarkson seems to have a dislike for American makes.
Don't forget this is a UK feature aimed at a UK audience, and not necessarily at true motoring audience. The Mustang is on the List because it is the first RHD Mustang and because it is cheap for a V8 compared to what we are used to in the UK. To put that in context, he goes on to say that the V8 Mustang was cheaper than a VW Golf that he had spec'd- and that's an everyday normal car over here (though not necessarily at the £30k+ price point).
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 08:13 AM   #27
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: geo metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Does anyone still care what "Jezza" thinks about cars anymore? Did anyone ever?
I think you know the answer to your question, but you personally don't seem to like him.

He is internationally known and broadcast, his shows are continually sold out and have been copied in various countries, he's relevant enough to be placed on Netflix and Amazon Prime, and he's a very contentious reviewer which people regularly cite when talking about car.

By no means is he a very technical reviewer like Chris Harris which spends 90% of his review on tracks but he is also not a dry commentator spewing only facts like Michael Spinelli. Speaking for myself, I like watching him for 1 because he provides a different angle on the review of his cars than others and 2 because he does it in an entertaining way. Case in point: take his review of the RCF, he could have just spun it around the track and commented on the suspension, weight, blah blah but he approaches the review as a compare and contrast to the LFA and what Toyota could have done, the feelings he had when driving the car with all the modes and buttons, and ultimately the unwieldiness of taking it around a short circuit.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 09:22 AM   #28
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Moura View Post
Only in the US. But then, as he would say, you don't really know much about cars on that side of the pond do you?
If we know anything it's how to protect you guys over on that side of the pond

Soon.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 09:23 AM   #29
oceanview
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 335i F31 RWD Autom.

Quote:
I don't think Europe gets the GT350. Either way, the Mustang GT is a very capable car -- although I am surprised it made this list since Clarkson seems to have a dislike for American makes.
Yep we do (as direct import)! Starting around US$ 89K including VAT
On Stock:
http://www.autokunz.ch/cars/ford-mus...ct-coupe-2016/
335i F31 RWD in SB || Powertrain: Active Autowerke Flash Tune Stage 1 | AA Charge Pipe | AA FMIC | GFB DV+ | xHD Trans-Flash | Quaife LSD | Cyba 3.5" Carbon tips || Chassis: 20" 405M | Wiechers Strut Bar | Rear M-Diffusor || Brakes: 18" M-Perf Brake orange 370/345 | EBC YellowStuff pads all around || Various: LED bulbs: Fog-L. front | Turn Signal f&r | Brake L. | Reverse L. | Rear L. | Rear Fog L.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 09:29 AM   #30
outcast
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: M2

That is not from Ford, but an independent import. You can also get an import in Germany, for example from Geiger Cars, for around $90k.

Not cheap anymore!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 09:44 AM   #31
J.M
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 DCT BSM

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534 View Post
If we know anything it's how to protect you guys over on that side of the pond
Actually, now that you mention it, the best cars come from countries that were in the axis! Never thought about it before but Ferraris, Lambos, Bugattis, AMGs, Ms, GT-Rs, NSXs, Paganis, even Koenigsegg (sort of), Porsches, etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 10:40 AM   #32
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: geo metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Moura View Post
Actually, now that you mention it, the best cars come from countries that were in the axis! Never thought about it before but Ferraris, Lambos, Bugattis, AMGs, Ms, GT-Rs, NSXs, Paganis, even Koenigsegg (sort of), Porsches, etc.
Interesting observation but don't forget the allies' marques... Mclaren, Aston Martin, RollsRoyce, Lotus, Jaguar, Bentley, Noble, TVR, Bugatti (not sure why you think it's axis), and then all of Americans... Corvette, Viper, Ford GT, Saleen, MUSCLE CARS haha

Also Sweden (Koenigsegg) was a strong neutrality during WWII, they did on occasion support both western and axis powers. sorry to nerd out on this stuff
Appreciate 1
Adem15342241.00
      08-17-2016, 10:52 AM   #33
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Clarkson is simply the best. Nothing wrong with being entertaining.

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 10:53 AM   #34
Rmsport
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M-Sport

Quote:
I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that more people would say no.

Clarkson has always been a great entertainer. But a lousy car reviewer. He's not a good driver very and terrible about reviewing cars from any standpoint. Fun show, but I could give a rats ass what he thinks of the car.
I can appreciate your opinion...but Clarkson is fantastic

Not sure if you've noticed, but its becoming harder and harder to find automotive journalists who actually give their opinion. It's always refreshing when I watch or read one of his reviews.

Sometimes they are serious, sometimes not. I also dont care if he is a good driver or not...he has real love for cars and thats all that matters. There are plenty of other reviews i can read/watch from more skilled drivers if I need a track review. That said, Clarkson certainly has more track time under his belt than the vast majority of car guys (definitely doesn't make him a good driver, just a point). To others he say he changes his opinion, sure you're right..but I like that too. He reviews "in the moment" (also rare). Additionally, I challenge anyone to tell me that they've had the exact same taste in cars for their entire lives.

I'll always value his opinion, passion, and comedy
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 11:19 AM   #35
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Moura
Quote:
Only in the US. But then, as he would say, you don't really know much about cars on that side of the pond do you?
Maybe most people, not me. Have subscribed to
Evo and Car since 1999. Expensive habit, but worth it.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 11:21 AM   #36
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redux
Quote:

Clarkson has always been a great entertainer. But a lousy car reviewer. He's not a good driver very and terrible about reviewing cars from any standpoint. Fun show, but I could give a rats ass what he thinks of the car.

His show wasn't about reviewing cars. It was about making an entertainment show featuring cars.

I liked the show. I watched it. But I never gave a toss about Clarkson's actual opinion on the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 11:23 AM   #37
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Austin Maxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmsport View Post
I can appreciate your opinion...but Clarkson is fantastic

I'll always value his opinion, passion, and comedy
Hand me the Sick Bowl
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 11:24 AM   #38
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahrvergnügen
Quote:
Does anyone still care what "Jezza" thinks about cars anymore? Did anyone ever?
I think you know the answer to your question, but you personally don't seem to like him.

He is internationally known and broadcast, his shows are continually sold out and have been copied in various countries, he's relevant enough to be placed on Netflix and Amazon Prime, and he's a very contentious reviewer which people regularly cite when talking about car.

By no means is he a very technical reviewer like Chris Harris which spends 90% of his review on tracks but he is also not a dry commentator spewing only facts like Michael Spinelli. Speaking for myself, I like watching him for 1 because he provides a different angle on the review of his cars than others and 2 because he does it in an entertaining way. Case in point: take his review of the RCF, he could have just spun it around the track and commented on the suspension, weight, blah blah but he approaches the review as a compare and contrast to the LFA and what Toyota could have done, the feelings he had when driving the car with all the modes and buttons, and ultimately the unwieldiness of taking it around a short circuit.
You assume incorrectly. I like Clarkson. I watched Top Gear and missed it. It was a very entertaining show.

But his opinion on cars is so driven by what he personally likes, and what image he thinks a car is going to portray, that I could care less what he thinks a list of awesome / amazing / best cars are.

Now, if you read Evo's Car of the Year, that's a list I can get behind. Those are journalists that tell you what a car's about. Not whether owning it makes you a cock.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 11:35 AM   #39
redux
WTF does Stage 1 mean?
Rep
Drives: Bwm and such

Garage List
2011 1M  [9.35]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post
Everyone writes to entertain, he just happens to be better at it than most. And it also seems if you are confusing the writer Jeremy Clarkson with the character Jeremy Clarkson. Anyway, you might want to take notice, he's one the few journalist that can speak openly about cars without axe of lost advertising revenue being swung at their neck.

Quote:
His show wasn't about reviewing cars. It was about making an entertainment show featuring cars.

I liked the show. I watched it. But I never gave a toss about Clarkson's actual opinion on the car.
..... see the second sentence in my reply above. People will be spouting the same shit about Chris Harris in 5 years (some are already starting to do it now) without realizing the talent he put down on paper before his tv persona was molded to fit a niche. Evo's taken a bit of a dive since Henry left, that last car of the year was garbage.

Last edited by redux; 08-17-2016 at 12:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 01:15 PM   #40
K_style
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EALm4 View Post
He obviously has no consideration for pedestrians/other people if he put a Mustang on there. Rude.
      08-17-2016, 01:28 PM   #41
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
"Lamborghini Aventador: Nice and subtle" hahahah
      08-17-2016, 02:39 PM   #42
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

Quote:
He loves Ford though.
Clarkson bought a Ford GT (but returned it because of aftermarket alarm system problems.)
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 02:45 PM   #43
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

Quote:
You assume incorrectly. I like Clarkson. I watched Top Gear and missed it. It was a very entertaining show. ...
Most people think of the Clarkson-era Top Gear as being a "car show."
It's not. It's a show about three guys who happen to be different types of gearheads.
There are plenty of such triumvirate-driven TV and movie series.
(Star Trek: Kirk, Spock, McCoy. Star Wars original trilogy: Luke, Leia, Han ...)
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 05:09 PM   #44
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahrvergnügen View Post
Interesting observation but don't forget the allies' marques... Mclaren, Aston Martin, RollsRoyce, Lotus, Jaguar, Bentley, Noble, TVR, Bugatti (not sure why you think it's axis), and then all of Americans... Corvette, Viper, Ford GT, Saleen, MUSCLE CARS haha

Also Sweden (Koenigsegg) was a strong neutrality during WWII, they did on occasion support both western and axis powers. sorry to nerd out on this stuff

If I may play devil's advocate here, Bugatti is more akin to Vichy France (Axis) while Renault is Free France (Allies).

Of course that would render Bentley and Rolls-Royce Axis as well, but that also falls in line with history (Channel Islands).

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 0