BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > M2 Pricing

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-02-2014, 09:42 PM   #67
Bemo
Captain
Bemo's Avatar
United_States
469
Rep
761
Posts

Drives: Carrera GTS & 3/5 series
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

$55K is M3/4 ED Invoice money. That would be a crazy high price! Then again an MSRP of $55K would mean around $47K for ED Invoice...
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 09:59 AM   #68
W///
Lieutenant General
W///'s Avatar
3980
Rep
10,705
Posts

Drives: 08 E92 M3 /07 Z4MR / 99 E36 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantagesc View Post
I think this is fair. If the M2 only has a few more hp than the M235i and no carbon bits, then the perceived vale is a lot less.

It will all depend on what's offered.
M235i starts at $43k. Add LSD alone, and that's $46k already.

I'd be happy if base MSRP was $51-3k. That means with ED, I'd be able to get a stripper M2 in the high 40s, which I think the car you'll get is pretty good IMHO. Especially when you start comparing it to let's say the Boxster/Cayman, CLA45 AMG ect.... not so much against American muscle.
__________________
Current: E92 M3 Sparkling Graphite/Bamboo Beige/6MT. E36 M3 Techno Violet/Dove/5MT. E85 Z4MR Alpine White/Imola Red/6MT
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 10:26 AM   #69
w3rkn
Banned
9
Rep
390
Posts

Drives: BMW 135is
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mich

iTrader: (0)

$48k starting...
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 12:21 PM   #70
BMW F22
Major General
BMW F22's Avatar
United_States
1400
Rep
9,554
Posts

Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (8)

I'm not sure why you guys are talking about ED invoice on M cars. Perhaps I am mistaken but I thought that all M cars do not get discounted even with ED.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 12:29 PM   #71
BMW F22
Major General
BMW F22's Avatar
United_States
1400
Rep
9,554
Posts

Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (8)

The way I see it, BMW has two ways to go about this.

1. They price is accordingly which means higher than 235i but much lower than the M3/M4. Basically putting it around the price range that most of us are expecting.

2. They are going to price is very close to the M3/M4. If the M2 is going to be just as quick (or just about) with perhaps a little less luxury, it's still going to command a hefty premium over the regular 2 series models. After all, it is an M car and the pricing will reflect that. Forget about how the 1M was only a few thousands more than the 135. Perhaps BMW did not expect that car to sell so well so they didn't price as high as they should have.

If the M2 is going to be a proper M car, then it WILL command a high price and be positioned close to the M3/M4.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 02:13 PM   #72
patbrass
Private First Class
17
Rep
191
Posts

Drives: M2 LBB, 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
I'm not sure why you guys are talking about ED invoice on M cars. Perhaps I am mistaken but I thought that all M cars do not get discounted even with ED.
They are. http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...erYourBMW.aspx

Hover over the M-cars to see the discounts. And from what I can see, the discounts are the same in percentage as the non-M cars.

Last edited by patbrass; 10-04-2014 at 02:19 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 02:21 PM   #73
///MCFC
Second Lieutenant
28
Rep
243
Posts

Drives: M235i
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Flyover state

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpowerLex View Post
These are gonna sell fast!! Better start placing deposits now.
car won't hit our shores for another 18 months...better act fast!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 07:01 PM   #74
BMW F22
Major General
BMW F22's Avatar
United_States
1400
Rep
9,554
Posts

Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by patbrass View Post
They are. http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...erYourBMW.aspx

Hover over the M-cars to see the discounts. And from what I can see, the discounts are the same in percentage as the non-M cars.
Ah interesting. It must be that they are selling at ED MSRP then. So basically just the savings over US MSRP. There is no additional discount off of ED MSRP. Still a good chunk of saving.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 07:31 PM   #75
w3rkn
Banned
9
Rep
390
Posts

Drives: BMW 135is
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mich

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
The way I see it, BMW has two ways to go about this.

1. They price is accordingly which means higher than 235i but much lower than the M3/M4. Basically putting it around the price range that most of us are expecting.

2. They are going to price is very close to the M3/M4. If the M2 is going to be just as quick (or just about) with perhaps a little less luxury, it's still going to command a hefty premium over the regular 2 series models. After all, it is an M car and the pricing will reflect that. Forget about how the 1M was only a few thousands more than the 135. Perhaps BMW did not expect that car to sell so well so they didn't price as high as they should have.

If the M2 is going to be a proper M car, then it WILL command a high price and be positioned close to the M3/M4.



The M4 is irrelevant, the Mustang can beat it.

The whole point of the M2, & why M sales are stinted is because BMW themselves have over priced cars COMPARED to the competition, not against each other.

The M2 has to come in bare around $50k, or it's already a failure. A $60k M2 will leave many looking elsewhere.. while the M235 & M235 R programs piddle because the halo came out flat.

A $55k M2 means a lot of people will grab a C7. The only people who have loyalty to BMW is those who still think BMW races on the weekends.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 07:42 PM   #76
m2ruder
Brigadier General
m2ruder's Avatar
United_States
1077
Rep
3,146
Posts

Drives: '15 Alfa Romeo 4c coupe
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Charlotte

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by w3rkn View Post
The M4 is irrelevant, the Mustang can beat it.

The whole point of the M2, & why M sales are stinted is because BMW themselves have over priced cars COMPARED to the competition, not against each other.

The M2 has to come in bare around $50k, or it's already a failure. A $60k M2 will leave many looking elsewhere.. while the M235 & M235 R programs piddle because the halo came out flat.

A $55k M2 means a lot of people will grab a C7. The only people who have loyalty to BMW is those who still think BMW races on the weekends.
The M3 (4 door) base is what...62K and the M4 (2 door) base is I think 64.2k? So if the M2 had the same power as the 3/4 and is much more nimble & sporty I think they would sell the hell out of it at close to the others price point.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 07:51 PM   #77
w3rkn
Banned
9
Rep
390
Posts

Drives: BMW 135is
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mich

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehagerty View Post
The M3 (4 door) base is what...62K and the M4 (2 door) base is I think 64.2k? So if the M2 had the same power as the 3/4 and is much more nimble & sporty I think they would sell the hell out of it at close to the others price point.
The M4 is irrelevant, it is a luxury bomber, not a track car. How well the M2 performs on the track has nothing to do with the M4 ability to blast down a runway and chase 911's.

The M4 will never be able to achieve what the M2 is capable of, because their focus are different.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 08:22 PM   #78
gtr
Lieutenant
gtr's Avatar
United_States
215
Rep
566
Posts

Drives: GT3 Touring M2C
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (0)

The M2 will be priced close to the CLA45 like the C63 will be priced close to the F80.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 05:48 AM   #79
m2ruder
Brigadier General
m2ruder's Avatar
United_States
1077
Rep
3,146
Posts

Drives: '15 Alfa Romeo 4c coupe
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Charlotte

iTrader: (6)

Shit.....if it comes in that low it will make me 2nd guess my purchase but I have a feeling a comparable to my 235 spec'd M2...of course built as a true M bloodline......will be around 64k which is over my budget even for a true M

I my ride
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 06:34 AM   #80
Steven1077
Lieutenant Colonel
England
205
Rep
1,700
Posts

Drives: M140i
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: London England

iTrader: (0)

I think this will be another car thats no worth the extra money over an M235i, a bit like the M4 over a 435i, yes it's a bit faster and handles a little better, but in the real world is it worth another $15k?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 08:58 AM   #81
W///
Lieutenant General
W///'s Avatar
3980
Rep
10,705
Posts

Drives: 08 E92 M3 /07 Z4MR / 99 E36 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven1077 View Post
I think this will be another car thats no worth the extra money over an M235i, a bit like the M4 over a 435i, yes it's a bit faster and handles a little better, but in the real world is it worth another $15k?
Completely different cars. On paper, you'd think they are similar cars, but they are completely different animals. The brakes, the steering, the power...

So yes, it's worth it IMO
__________________
Current: E92 M3 Sparkling Graphite/Bamboo Beige/6MT. E36 M3 Techno Violet/Dove/5MT. E85 Z4MR Alpine White/Imola Red/6MT
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 11:23 AM   #82
Adem1534
Colonel
Adem1534's Avatar
United_States
2166
Rep
2,373
Posts

Drives: '16 M2
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Alex from the United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
The M2 will be priced close to the CLA45 like the C63 will be priced close to the F80.
So many people are saying mid 50's. I think they're a little off.

Why? Because if BMW really wants to market this car to a younger generation, they can't have a starting msrp that high. Lets be real, an M car that starts at 55k will bring new buyers into the M brand, but not an overwhelming amount.

That's because when you hover around 50k, it tends to be an area where a lot of young people draw the line in terms of the price they're willing to pay for a car. That 50k mark is the cut off for a lot of younger buyers.

With that said I'm expecting a base price of about 49k. The CLA AMG starts just over 47k. Starting the car in the mid 50's would be defeating the purpose.

I'm thinking 49k base. With a decent amount of options - around 59k. It's the only way BMW can really make this car for younger buyers like myself. If the msrp is over 53K starting, I go back to looking at other options. It's hard to price cars on the higher side of this bracket, now that American companies are actually starting to put out performance cars that offer insane bang for the buck.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 12:05 PM   #83
pikcachu
Brigadier General
pikcachu's Avatar
883
Rep
4,667
Posts

Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: undisclosed

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534 View Post
So many people are saying mid 50's. I think they're a little off.

Why? Because if BMW really wants to market this car to a younger generation, they can't have a starting msrp that high. Lets be real, an M car that starts at 55k will bring new buyers into the M brand, but not an overwhelming amount.

That's because when you hover around 50k, it tends to be an area where a lot of young people draw the line in terms of the price they're willing to pay for a car. That 50k mark is the cut off for a lot of younger buyers.

With that said I'm expecting a base price of about 49k. The CLA AMG starts just over 47k. Starting the car in the mid 50's would be defeating the purpose.

I'm thinking 49k base. With a decent amount of options - around 59k. It's the only way BMW can really make this car for younger buyers like myself. If the msrp is over 53K starting, I go back to looking at other options. It's hard to price cars on the higher side of this bracket, now that American companies are actually starting to put out performance cars that offer insane bang for the buck.
CLA delivered is 48.5k

M235 starts at 44k
now add..

+ LSD 2.5k
+ M susp 2k
+ M brakes 1k
+ engine tuning and exhaust 2k
+ wider body panels and wheels 1k

8.5k total 52.5k
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 12:44 PM   #84
Adem1534
Colonel
Adem1534's Avatar
United_States
2166
Rep
2,373
Posts

Drives: '16 M2
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Alex from the United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
CLA delivered is 48.5k

M235 starts at 44k
now add..

+ LSD 2.5k
+ M susp 2k
+ M brakes 1k
+ engine tuning and exhaust 2k
+ wider body panels and wheels 1k

8.5k total 52.5k
You may be right. I'd be happy with that.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 02:10 PM   #85
BMW F22
Major General
BMW F22's Avatar
United_States
1400
Rep
9,554
Posts

Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by w3rkn View Post
The M4 is irrelevant, the Mustang can beat it.

The whole point of the M2, & why M sales are stinted is because BMW themselves have over priced cars COMPARED to the competition, not against each other.

The M2 has to come in bare around $50k, or it's already a failure. A $60k M2 will leave many looking elsewhere.. while the M235 & M235 R programs piddle because the halo came out flat.

A $55k M2 means a lot of people will grab a C7. The only people who have loyalty to BMW is those who still think BMW races on the weekends.
I disagree. The C7 is a completely different car. Sure if the buyer is looking for a fast car then the C7 is a great option. However, it is two seater, complete sported out car. It's not practical. I don't see many people cross shopping a C7 and any BMW coupes.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 03:58 PM   #86
vantagesc
First Lieutenant
43
Rep
365
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

While you can get a base CLA45 for $47k (many basic items are standard), it's pretty easy to option it up to $59k with things like leather dash, carbon fiber trim, Recaro seats, AMG performance suspension, AMG performance exhaust, premium package, etc.

I hope BMW provides options like full-leather (dash included) and carbon trim on the M2. Makes the interior look so much nicer. This way everyone can configure their M2 the way they want and the pricing remains flexible.

Last edited by vantagesc; 10-05-2014 at 04:05 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 04:39 PM   #87
gtr
Lieutenant
gtr's Avatar
United_States
215
Rep
566
Posts

Drives: GT3 Touring M2C
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
CLA delivered is 48.5k

M235 starts at 44k
now add..

+ LSD 2.5k
+ M susp 2k
+ M brakes 1k
+ engine tuning and exhaust 2k
+ wider body panels and wheels 1k

8.5k total 52.5k
The strange thing is that manual transmission is a $0 cost option. On the M3/M4 this tranny is standard. The reality is that BMW really should discount the M235 if you choose manual but decided to make more $$ if you choose to do so. I predict the M2 will cost under $50k with cloth seats and manual tranny as standard. The $2900 dual clutch tranny will bring the auto base car a tad under 52k. If the M2 is not as profitable I'm sure it will arrive in smaller numbers to fill in the gap, to compete against the CLA45 and the upcoming RS3.

Because of this problem the M235 will feel overpriced. Due to the competition, BMW should reduce the M235's price or strip it down to a 235is or something. Just my thought and we wills see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 07:08 PM   #88
David1
Brigadier General
David1's Avatar
United_States
513
Rep
3,664
Posts

Drives: 09 E92 09 X5
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Columbus, OH

iTrader: (0)

There is no discount for a manual transmission because it still has to be emissions certified at the same cost to do so as the auto. BMW has to get a return back on the manuals since even on the M2 most will be auto/dct. I know I no longer want a manual especially after driving a 911 Carrera S with the pdk for 1300 miles.
__________________
2017 M2 Alpine White|Black with Blue Stitching Dakota Leather|Executive Pkg|DCT
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
2015 bmw m2, 2015 m2, 2016 bmw m2, 2016 m2, bmw f22 m2, bmw f87 m2, bmw m2, bmw m2 coupe, bmw m2 coupe news, bmw m2 engine, bmw m2 f22, bmw m2 f87, bmw m2 forum, bmw m2 forums, bmw m2 motor, bmw m2 n55, bmw m2 n55 engine, bmw m2 news, bmw m2 render, bmw m2 rendering, bmw m2 renders, bmw m2 rumors, bmw spy pic, bmw spy shot, bmw spyshot, f87, f87 m2, m2 coupe, m2 f87, m2 forum, m2 forums, m2 n55, m2 news, m2 rumors, n55 bmw m2, n55 m2

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:16 PM.




m2
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST