BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > BMW is going full electric and FWD ? What are we going to buy next ?

07-21-2018, 06:38 PM   #1
BM Creeper
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 MY17 (March 2017)

https://www.bmwblog.com/2018/07/21/b...ctric-by-2030/

Scary or rather sad...
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 06:47 PM   #2
Yiruna
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, C63s, 718 Cayman GT4

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM Creeper View Post
Where does it even say FWD.
      07-21-2018, 06:55 PM   #3
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiruna View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM Creeper View Post
Where does it even say FWD.
Fake news!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 02:03 AM   #4
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Be aware that car ownership is on its way out and that full autonomous driving is around the corner.

The speed in which the engineers are coming up with new autonomous techniques and the youngsters in big cities are not buying cars anymore is astonishing. As an example, in Japan large groups of younger people are not getting a drivers license anymore.

For those of you who want to drive their "old" bimmer in the future (let's say 30 years from now) they need to put it on an autonomous flatbed to a racetrack or a mountain pass where they can drive it.

MR
Appreciate 3
ORIGIN M.3159.50
ChrisK4449.00
Yiruna393.50
      07-22-2018, 03:37 AM   #5
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Be aware that car ownership is on its way out and that full autonomous driving is around the corner.

The speed in which the engineers are coming up with new autonomous techniques and the youngsters in big cities are not buying cars anymore is astonishing. As an example, in Japan large groups of younger people are not getting a drivers license anymore.

For those of you who want to drive their "old" bimmer in the future (let's say 30 years from now) they need to put it on an autonomous flatbed to a racetrack or a mountain pass where they can drive it.

MR
Hopefully not, but this does seem like the way its headed.. hopefully by then ill be wealthy enough to retire in a rural region with my own track
      07-22-2018, 04:29 AM   #6
Peasley
General Moron
England
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI MT & E30 Drift Slag

I feel more sad for my kids (if I have kids). They may never experience what we have. The whole concept of autonomous driving leaves me feeling numb
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 08:54 AM   #7
Bt12
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5,2018 m2, 2018 x1

Eh hem. My x1 is fwd
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 09:40 AM   #8
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:

MR

You know, I keep hearing this. But I think people who make the claim that it's "around the corner" haven't considered that the entire world is not L.A. and the entire world is not London. There are extreme challenges to even beginning to think about autonomous driving in Canada, for example. You cite Japan like their cities aren't already hyper-dense and designed for walking--where people live incredibly close to their workplace. Lifestyles aren't the same in every country.

I mean isn't the most sold vehicle in the entire world an F-150? If we were "just around the corner" you'd think that wouldn't be the case but it is due to the vast majority of car owners not living in places where you can up and convert to autonomous. The computing power and machine learning required to drive in winter, or adverse conditions, with 0% chance of programming or hardware errors (looking at you, Uber) are staggering and certainly not around the corner.

It'll be a while. Not our lifetimes at least. I mean maybe you'll see an uptake in extremely dense cities.
      07-22-2018, 09:46 AM   #9
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

While I am certain most if not all manufacturers will try to offer electric vehicles and shift volume away from ICE over the next decade I can't help but wonder if the transition will be slower than people expect.

Right now electric vehicles are a tiny blip on the map, they're a gnat on the back of an elephant in terms of oil demand impact. But look forward 10 years and imagine that electric vehicles are actually creating a noticeable impact - there are countries which, unlike the USA, live and die by oil exports and which will not hesitate to throw supply agreements out the window and open the spigot if demand starts to fall. Electric vehicles look interesting with oil at $70 per barrel like it is now, and they look downright necessary with oil at $120 like it was just 6 years ago. But how compelled will people be to buy a Tesla with oil at $25 per barrel and gas selling for $1.20 per gallon? The US drilling industry goes completely bankrupt well before we get to $25 per barrel but the OPEC countries can survive at that price level no problem, they will just keep pumping. Things get tougher for Russia below $30 per barrel but they'll keep pumping it out too. Venezuela has no choice but to keep pumping.

Electric vehicles seem like the wave of the future, but there's a lot of oil out there that will not only be looking for a buyer, but will be pumped out by countries that literally won't eat without oil sales. They will flood the market and push gas prices back to $1 per gallon before they allow themselves to starve.

Anybody here work in oil services? It'd be nice to get some color from someone in the know.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 10:25 AM   #10
TMR013
Opus Angelus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2 Coupe

Like most petrolheads, the idea of electric vehicles is not something that excites me. I think ICE's still have a lot of room to gain efficiency. But I think the problem may be when somebody says electric or hybrid. It conjures images of Prius' and i3's. I have a feeling that what they are talking about at M is more 918 Spyder or LeFerrari. There are a lot of advantages to electric in performance. Massive torque that makes our M2's look like Prius's for one.
Not too concerned. I'm sure what they come up with will still put a smile on my face. And if I save on gas, bonus!
Appreciate 2
bobert858.50
AndrewC198910903.50
      07-22-2018, 10:44 AM   #11
ShelJW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 MG BMW M2

Yeah... once cars are all electric, BMW will probably have to pipe in fake "engine sounds" into the cabin, to replicate the effects we now have....

um... wait a minute!
Appreciate 1
McGary911467.00
      07-22-2018, 11:21 AM   #12
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Not sure what part of this is a surprise to anyone. Government regulations are forcing the electrification of cars so eventually all cars will have to go this way. Moral of the story is the keep the cars you love and then this isn't much of a problem. Eventually we will be like the people who still ride horses.
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2018, 01:27 PM   #13
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR013 View Post
Like most petrolheads, the idea of electric vehicles is not something that excites me. I think ICE's still have a lot of room to gain efficiency. But I think the problem may be when somebody says electric or hybrid. It conjures images of Prius' and i3's. I have a feeling that what they are talking about at M is more 918 Spyder or LeFerrari. There are a lot of advantages to electric in performance.
Was thinking the same - with M cars it'll be used as much as a performance enhancement as for enhancing efficiency. While I have no need for (or real interest in) such enhancements to the performance cars that I like & might buy in the future, I don't think they'll necessarily turn me off to such cars either. The lack of a stick shift option will do that for me, however, and my other concern, esp when it comes to electrification, is increasing weight - I have no interest in heavy cars (the 'OG' M2 is already at the upper limit of my personal weight tolerance - blame 19+ years & counting of enjoying a 2300 lb Miata ).
      07-22-2018, 05:11 PM   #14
BM Creeper
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 MY17 (March 2017)

One more reason to take good care of our present M cars. I am certainly planning to keep mine running for as long as I can ! It's gonna be a collector earlier than I thought.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 02:54 AM   #15
Nahlem
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: None atm

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 m50  [10.00]
If you look at the trend beyond the bimmer forums, you will notice that most people think it is annoying to drive a car and would rather have a driver or in this case autonomous driving to work and back etc...so this is no surprise to me, you have to think outside of bimmerpost forums that a lot of people only see their cars as a tool to get from point A to point B and back again.

For example in my family the only person who likes driving my own car is me, but the rest hates to drive cars they don't like stopping to fuel up and just in general would have an autonomous vehicle so they can spend time in the car working or doing something else like catching up on sleep after that horrific Sunday night sleep cause you slept far to long during from Saturday to Sunday and now Monday is ruined because you got to bed all to late for your own good.

This is the prime example in my family and they hate needing to focus and concentrate on driving and not to mention needing to stop to fuel up. So for my own family except me they prefer electric vehicles so you can plug them in to an outlet and just charge them while you are at work and home and never needing to stop for fuel. And also they hate driving whether it be the BMW i8 or a BMW 120d it is all the same to them, they just don't care about cars enough.

And this goes for most people that is not a driving enthusiast, so of-course the market is going to change to adapt to them witch is fine for me, i guess i my self would love to keep driving for my self as long as possible. But this is the future we are heading for and hopefully when most people have switched to electric cars and autonomous cars those of us who are of the type that loves to drive on our own won't be such a gigantic target by environmentalist groups and governments cause the Co2 released by us will be minimal then compared to other industry's. And we will be left alone to be able to keep driving our own cars.

So if you know people like my family encourage them to switch to electric cars if possible the more that switch to that the faster the target on our backs who likes cars will be reduced. And we will be left alone i hope.

//Cheers.

Last edited by Nahlem; 07-23-2018 at 04:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 03:56 PM   #16
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

Quote:

MR
It pains me to say this, but in 30 years, all of you on this forum as well as myself, will be safer if I'm in an autonomous vehicle
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 04:14 PM   #17
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

I got my eye on this...
Attached Images

07-23-2018, 08:21 PM   #18
PAC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR013 View Post
Like most petrolheads, the idea of electric vehicles is not something that excites me. I think ICE's still have a lot of room to gain efficiency. But I think the problem may be when somebody says electric or hybrid. It conjures images of Prius' and i3's. I have a feeling that what they are talking about at M is more 918 Spyder or LeFerrari. There are a lot of advantages to electric in performance. Massive torque that makes our M2's look like Prius's for one.
Not too concerned. I'm sure what they come up with will still put a smile on my face. And if I save on gas, bonus!
Pretty much this. Right now ICE's are still the most efficient mode of powering a vehicle. I don't mind hybrid technology to assist with HP and save gas. I do have an issue with people not understanding that a powerplant still has to create emissions to charge the battery in your electric car. And as someone else said people don't get that the United States and many other places in the world have giant stretches of road where an electric car will simply not be able to cover the distance.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 08:40 PM   #19
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden_88M View Post
not to mention needing to stop to fuel up. So for my own family except me they prefer electric vehicles so you can plug them in to an outlet and just charge them while you are at work and home and never needing to stop for fuel.

//Cheers.
I mean to be fair do any of us like having to stop for fuel or wonder about the price of gas based on what is going on in some other part of the world? Not being dependent on oil so much and being able to "fuel up" at home or work seems like a good perk. Also hypothetically if there were fun electric cars, one upside would be not having to warm it up before flogging it!.
Appreciate 0