BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > M2 Values with M2 Comp Launch

07-21-2018, 09:09 PM   #23
slowestM2
Private
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
If the most interesting thing you can write about on a car, on what is supposedly an enthusiast forum, is how much you saved on it or what it is going to be worth later . . . . . maybe should just buy a Civic.
Better solution... don't post.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 09:11 PM   #24
slowestM2
Private
Rep

Quote:
I'm not telling anyone what to buy; I'm just saying don't perseverate about it too much.

I just bought a car last week; a 2018 Golf R, on which I traded in my 2016 R. The details of what I bought are irrelevant. I scanned the boards for about 15 minutes to get some idea of what was out there, looked at the inventory within reasonable driving distance and time, then contacted 6 or 8 dealers. Only 2 had what I really wanted, however there were some other cars (color choices) I might have accepted. I talked prices with 3 dealers in the end, ruling the others out on the basis of lowball trade offers, terrible online reviews and/or BBB ratings, etc. One dealer stood out with his trade in offer, and was very straightforward on all other aspects. I decided to go with my gut and booked a $100 hotel room online, and arranged the financial details.

I drove out there on Sunday, 300 miles, stayed overnight, exchanged cars and keys with the salesman the next morning, then drove the car home.

I came within $1000 of the best deal reasonably attainable. Everyone was happy; me, the selling salesman, the selling dealership, the hotel I spent $100 on, and the shithole restaurant I ate in on Sunday night.

This process is not brain surgery. People who have the ability to spent $55K or more on a car should know how to prioritize their time, get the best bang for their buck (taking the value of their own time into consideration), buy the damn thing, and move on.

I'm not saying don't put a few hours into the process and don't negotiate. What I am saying is that turning this into a many month's long odyssey trying to save the last nickel, is (I hope) a bad use of your time, and hopefully, you can find more productive things to do with it, like making more money so that you can continue to be able to afford to drive a nice car and live in a nice house.

That is all.

I'm not sure about you but taking 30 seconds to put a simple post up on a forum with people who own them, are putting deposits on them, who work at dealerships is a far better use of my time then spending an hour looking myself.

If we were all paying Idaho cost of living none of us would worry about our car expenses....
Appreciate 1
pz6193277.00
      07-21-2018, 10:12 PM   #25
Slaney
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

I'm selling my 2018 M2 with 15k miles. Mineral grey, Manual. Exec package. Perfect condition. Never tracked. Xpel front end, hood, quarter panels, key areas on doors, trunk area. Ceramic tint. Ordered a 2019 comp. Make an offer!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 11:30 PM   #26
kfscoll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 MG M2 6MT, ‘15 MW X3 35i

Quote:
If some of you people who post in threads like this one, would put half as much effort into making money or advancing in your careers, as you do in trying to save a few thousand dollars on a car, you'd be a lot better shape overall, plus you would lose interest in spending hours and hours on who saved the most in their purchase of this or that automobile.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't try to get a reasonably good deal. But focusing on pennies when you should be looking at dollars is a lifetime losing strategy.
No joke. And while you're waiting on prices to hit rock-bottom you risk having to settle for options you don't want...not to mention the months of summer and fall driving you'll miss.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 11:35 PM   #27
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydesmo View Post
Better solution... don't post.
I agree; you should not
      07-21-2018, 11:38 PM   #28
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm not sure about you but taking 30 seconds to put a simple post up on a forum with people who own them, are putting deposits on them, who work at dealerships is a far better use of my time then spending an hour looking myself.

If we were all paying Idaho cost of living none of us would worry about our car expenses....
Unfortunately, the cost of living in Idaho is accelerating rapidly, because people who live in places like you do, are moving here in droves.

As to relying on internet forum posts made by people you do not know, who post under pseudonyms . . . . you will get information that is worth (approximately) what it costs you.
      07-21-2018, 11:50 PM   #29
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfscoll View Post
No joke. And while you're waiting on prices to hit rock-bottom you risk having to settle for options you don't want...not to mention the months of summer and fall driving you'll miss.
BMW gives its dealers the option to order spec cars (using a term from the home building industry; e.g. a car without a preset buyer) loaded up with options like Christmas trees. And unlike Christmas tree ornaments, these options cost a fortune, and the profit margin for BMW and the dealer is enormous.

People talk on this forum as though the M2 is the next "classic" BMW M-car. Maybe it is, and maybe it isn't. But anyone who knows squat about collectible cars knows that for the collector, the less options on the car, the better. Collectors will pay MORE for a car without a sunroof ("slicktop"), and without most any other option you can think of. All of this added on crap, over time, becomes either obsolete, rattles, leaks, breaks, or in some cases most or all of the above. You can pretty much bank on the fact that many dealers will be loading up their M2C cars with as much fat as they can heap on the chassis, knowing that there is probably someone who will buy it, at least initially.

If the purchase of an M2/M2C is such a head-scratcher for you, then maybe your gut is telling you that you shouldn't buy it. Getting over-extended on an elective car purchase, especially if we go into recession, is not a good position to be in.
      07-22-2018, 12:42 AM   #30
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfscoll View Post
Winter...what’s that?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 09:58 AM   #31
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

I followed the used M5 market in Canada and I observed a noticable drop since the new Gen M5 hit the street.

Prime exemple seem less affected but the higher mile cars or with accident history dropped a couple of K's faster in the last 2 months than all previous year.

Personnaly I'm just waiting for the used M2's to drop in the 40's. (CAD) to grab one.
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 03:50 PM   #32
mbchris
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Volvo S90

Even with the current savings for the 2018s, the 2019 M2C is going to land in my garage because:

1. It's about the cost of ownership. Not what you paid. That difference I think will be considerably less than $10K. Perhaps $5K (or less with European Delivery).

2. The M2C should be the better car. I will be thinking "what if" every time I see one.

3. I always want to buy the best car I can, balancing budget, needs, and desires. The M2C fits that bill for me. Discount is secondary - at least for my fun car. For my DD, cost of ownership is top, or near top.

4. The M2C SHOULD be better for modding, tracking, etc. - in case I ever want to go that route.

5. I rarely factor the price I paid into what a car will be worth. It's like a stock - value is what I can sell it for now, not what I paid for it. Different stocks, different values - different cars, different values.

The above are just what I think for myself. Naturally, the folks who got a 2018 thought differently.

Bottom line is - we should all be happy. Because anyone buying now is in a great position to choose whichever car they want - a 2018 off the lot at discount, or a 2019 M2C to order. And once the 2018s are gone, you can get something used if you really want a 2018 (or 2019 at discount).

Bottom line 2 - once you get a car, you should avoid threads like this. Because your options suddenly have become more costly. I never really understood why people ask "how did I do?" - you're really inviting some in the mirror feedback. There will ALWAYS be someone who got a better deal, or disagreed with what you did. Not entirely useful.
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8710.00
      07-28-2018, 09:30 AM   #33
Nes718
Rep
Drives: Sentra

Quote:
Wait till Comp launches, scoop a discounted new or CPO'd one optioned how I like that someone traded in on a new one for cheap.

Thats my goal, get a Grey Car, DCT, Exec Package for like 45 or so in 2-3 months
I’m waiting for that same exact build for around that same price. This will be my first time buying, please let me know if and when you see them going around that price. I’ll try to do the same.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 04:05 PM   #34
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nes718 View Post
I’m waiting for that same exact build for around that same price. This will be my first time buying, please let me know if and when you see them going around that price. I’ll try to do the same.
I've bought a lot of slightly used BMWs at the 2 and 3 year mark, and finding a lightly used car optioned the way you would have bought it is usually a lot harder than it seems it would be.
      07-28-2018, 04:15 PM   #35
Nes718
Rep
Drives: Sentra

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nes718 View Post
I'm waiting for that same exact build for around that same price. This will be my first time buying, please let me know if and when you see them going around that price. I'll try to do the same.
I've bought a lot of slightly used BMWs at the 2 and 3 year mark, and finding a lightly used car optioned the way you would have bought it is usually a lot harder than it seems it would be.
I'm open to other color ways. Mineral grey is just my favorite. There aren't that many options with the M2 anyway so I don't think it will be too bad. All I really need is DCT
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 10:44 PM   #36
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
I'm not telling anyone what to buy; I'm just saying don't perseverate about it too much.

I just bought a car last week; a 2018 Golf R, on which I traded in my 2016 R. The details of what I bought are irrelevant. I scanned the boards for about 15 minutes to get some idea of what was out there, looked at the inventory within reasonable driving distance and time, then contacted 6 or 8 dealers. Only 2 had what I really wanted, however there were some other cars (color choices) I might have accepted. I talked prices with 3 dealers in the end, ruling the others out on the basis of lowball trade offers, terrible online reviews and/or BBB ratings, etc. One dealer stood out with his trade in offer, and was very straightforward on all other aspects. I decided to go with my gut and booked a $100 hotel room online, and arranged the financial details.

I drove out there on Sunday, 300 miles, stayed overnight, exchanged cars and keys with the salesman the next morning, then drove the car home.

I came within $1000 of the best deal reasonably attainable. Everyone was happy; me, the selling salesman, the selling dealership, the hotel I spent $100 on, and the shithole restaurant I ate in on Sunday night.

This process is not brain surgery. People who have the ability to spent $55K or more on a car should know how to prioritize their time, get the best bang for their buck (taking the value of their own time into consideration), buy the damn thing, and move on.

I'm not saying don't put a few hours into the process and don't negotiate. What I am saying is that turning this into a many month's long odyssey trying to save the last nickel, is (I hope) a bad use of your time, and hopefully, you can find more productive things to do with it, like making more money so that you can continue to be able to afford to drive a nice car and live in a nice house.

That is all.
totally agree. but you have to remember most people don't seem to act with their heart or minds. they seem to act based on "what's right" and that's usually wrong! lol.

when i bought my 1M i had 12 cars to choose from in all of the U.S. I narrowed it down to 2 cars and started driving to the one i wanted most 2 hours away. On that drive i called the 'other' one i was interested in and said "hey listen i'm driving to buy a 1M; what's the best you can do on yours". This resulted in a massive negotiation war on the phone between 2 dealers and eventually i ended up buying the one i wanted most (the one i was driving to) after driving the price down by phone....it was one of THE most enjoyable days for me....just dream-like to get what i really wanted and to get it so free of drama. Within 24 hours i had made a decision to buy it, got on the road with no definite or pre-determined plan, and ended up buying the car i loved and drove it home. A perfect day really.

buying cars should be enjoyable as much as it should be financially practical. If someone sits around wondering so much; it's just time wasted really. Life is short----enjoy whatever parts of it you can.

my advice for living in the moment???? the M2 is NOT rare. it won't ever make you any money. you want one? GO BUY ONE you can afford. drive the shit out of it. Enjoy it....deal with tomorrow when tomorrow comes.

Last edited by 10"; 07-28-2018 at 10:49 PM..
Appreciate 2
kfscoll208.50
champignon1565.50
      07-31-2018, 10:39 PM   #37
slowestM2
Private
Rep

I think lots of people took this post the wrong way.

IDGAF what the car is worth in 1, 2, 5, 10 years, 5 ,10 100k miles later, I just wanted to know how quickly and how severely you thought the prices on M2's would be effected by the M2C.

I have been offered a brand new M2 for sub 53k, so I'm going to find the car I want, loaded with sub 20k miles in the net few months for around that 40-45 mark and I'm stoked about that
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 11:33 AM   #38
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
I think lots of people took this post the wrong way.

IDGAF what the car is worth in 1, 2, 5, 10 years, 5 ,10 100k miles later, I just wanted to know how quickly and how severely you thought the prices on M2's would be effected by the M2C.

I have been offered a brand new M2 for sub 53k, so I'm going to find the car I want, loaded with sub 20k miles in the net few months for around that 40-45 mark and I'm stoked about that
This is just my personal opinion, but I think it's going to take a pretty big hit in the coming months. No way to predict the future but I don't think mid 40s is unrealistic for the amount of miles you quoted.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 01:52 PM   #39
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
This is just my personal opinion, but I think it's going to take a pretty big hit in the coming months. No way to predict the future but I don't think mid 40s is unrealistic for the amount of miles you quoted.
I see the 16’s being an upper $30k range car in next 6 months. Essentially the used car market is driven by auction prices and trade in values. Then dealers price their cars from there to make a certain profit. Realistically right now, dealers at most will give $35-$37k on trade in for 2016(average mileage example). I definitely see this trending downward in coming months.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 07:29 PM   #40
AngryBaby
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Works

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
Quote:
I see the 16's being an upper $30k range car in next 6 months. Essentially the used car market is driven by auction prices and trade in values. Then dealers price their cars from there to make a certain profit. Realistically right now, dealers at most will give $35-$37k on trade in for 2016(average mileage example). I definitely see this trending downward in coming months.
Unless of course M2C is also difficult to get and so M2 prices stabilize. This could bethe worst possible time to sell an M2.

We'll have to wait and see how the demand is for the competition.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 08:17 PM   #41
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryBaby View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
Quote:
I see the 16's being an upper $30k range car in next 6 months. Essentially the used car market is driven by auction prices and trade in values. Then dealers price their cars from there to make a certain profit. Realistically right now, dealers at most will give $35-$37k on trade in for 2016(average mileage example). I definitely see this trending downward in coming months.
Unless of course M2C is also difficult to get and so M2 prices stabilize. This could bethe worst possible time to sell an M2.

We'll have to wait and see how the demand is for the competition.
The thing is if you want a new M2 from now on you have no choice but to buy a M2c..
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 08:25 PM   #42
AngryBaby
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Works

Yeah I'm talking about used M2 values.
Appreciate 1
Nes7182.50
      08-02-2018, 07:43 AM   #43
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep
Drives: F80, F86

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryBaby View Post
Yeah I'm talking about used M2 values.
no questions, that holds true for any brand. Newer model comes out with diff engine will put pressure on the previous model year in term of value/price.
That's why it's silly to compare M2 to 1M, the latter never gets an updated engine (if it did, the older 1M would drop in value as well).
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 08:37 AM   #44
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPIA4v2 View Post
no questions, that holds true for any brand. Newer model comes out with diff engine will put pressure on the previous model year in term of value/price.
That's why it's silly to compare M2 to 1M, the latter never gets an updated engine (if it did, the older 1M would drop in value as well).
I don't think this is true, because if there were to be a newer 1M with a new engine, BMW would also engineer out about 2/3 of the fun and driver connectedness in the process. Just compare the 1M and the M2, and this is obvious to anyone who has owned or owns both.