BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Do you generally turn off DSC and/or M Dynamic Mode?

07-17-2018, 03:10 PM   #23
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
DSC OFF shouldn't make a difference for sound unless you were in Sport/Sport + and that likely did it. As to spinning out, driving DSC off on a public road is pretty reckless and really not advisable at all, doesn't matter how good your skills are. I know others out there will disagree and say DSC off always, but all you need is one emergency situation and your dead or you kill someone. Driving in MDM maybe, but never DSC OFF unless I'm at a track. But I digress, you're and adult and you don't need a lecture.

If DSC is off MDM is not on. MDM is only on when it is on. At least that's my experience in the F80.
When you turn dsc off, thw car swtiches to sport mode
DSC off is its own mode, but it's accurate to say it has Sport throttle. Comfort throttle if tpms isn't working I think.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 07:17 AM   #24
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
20 years ago I didn't have access to an almost 400hp car.
So true. Plus if you had an e36 or e46 M3 it was boring and slow as hell in traffic as there was zero torque. Another matter entirely on the track though, that’s when it became amazing. The torque is massive and instant these days. That’s the biggest difference.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 12:35 PM   #25
greasypeanut
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristianS View Post
For those talking about crackles and bangs, I'm pretty sure DSC off is the same as MDM and other sport modes. It's not done for effect, it's there because the car has a turbo charger and anti-lag to stop the turbo stalling between shifts, thereby keeping it more on boost when you're back on the throttle! In comfort mode there's less need to eliminate lag or make the engine more responsive at the limit.
There's a very noticeable difference in mdm and DSC off mode in terms of sound from the crackles and bangs. I'd say DSC off is similar to Sport mode.

It is done for the effect. The way they get the car to make those cracks and bangs is by injecting extra fuel that then ignites in the hot exhaust. Plenty of non turbo charged cars crackle and pop, the f type, corvette, and gt350 come to mind. And our m2 does not have an anti lag system ala wrc rally cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 01:49 PM   #26
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Just use the hidden exhaust mode...

Here is how to enable the hidden exhaust mode and not turn off the nannies.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1277527
Appreciate 0