BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Bedding In Carbon Ceramic Pads Over Stock Pads?

07-13-2018, 01:30 PM   #1
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Bedding In Carbon Ceramic Pads Over Stock Pads?

Title may be a bit confusing, but basically I just got the Powerstop Z23 street pads, mainly for less brake dust. My usual procedure to "clean" my rotors is to run my track pads cold for a day to scrape off the old material before putting on the new ones.

I'm wondering if this is even necessary? If I properly bed in the the new pads, would that be fine? Or would the new pad be too soft to scrape off the old transfer layer? (I assume it's softer since it's braking ability is less according to reports, although this may not necessarily be true since it's a different compound)

I am heading to the track in the next few months so I can put off installing the new pads till after - not a big deal either way.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 12:16 PM   #2
425M2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 - Mineral Gray

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteM2 View Post
Yes,bed them in exactly as powerstop advise. I had the Z26 version and bedded them in as advise and they worked fine. HOWEVER!! They clunked like mad when going into reverse or coming to a stop to reverse. So pulled them out. Im interested to see if you get any clunking from the Z23.

I have the Z26 pads now, installed them recently. Havent heard a single clunk from mine. In the morning, backing out of the garage, the first stop or two does produce a loud squeal though.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 12:46 PM   #3
425M2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 - Mineral Gray

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteM2 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Strange mine do. Did you grease or no grease?

We tried both ways and still clunk clunk
No grease, I just popped the old pads out and slid the new ones in. Then I followed the manufacturers instructions for bedding them in.

Did you just do pads? Or did you also do the lines? When I put the new pads in, they were pretty snug in there. Maybe try topping off your brake fluid to ensure proper pressure? Not sure if that would help or not.
Appreciate 1
M2C_PLUS1774.00
      07-16-2018, 04:00 PM   #4
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

My pads rattle (clunk) in the calipers also....they have on the last 3 BMW's I replaced pads in. Z16 in the 1 series and M235, Z23 in the M4 & M2

Just so you know the Z23 & Z26 share the same pad. The only difference it the backing shim. The Z23 has a rubberized backing shim to dampen more noise the Z26 has just a different thickness non rubberized shim to increase its resistance to heat that larger cars or higher HP cars can generate on the pads but it is the exact same pad & material.

Their pads are great and quite affordable that is why I continue to use them...but then I don't officially track. I am going to try out a set of Z26's to see if the different backing shim causes additional noise. The Z23's have always given me a shout when backing out of the garage.....my wife just loves it in the morning when she is sleeping

Last edited by horsepower_and_hounds; 07-16-2018 at 05:01 PM..
Appreciate 1
M2C_PLUS1774.00
      07-17-2018, 02:16 AM   #5
eeyang92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2ruder View Post
My pads rattle (clunk) in the calipers also....they have on the last 3 BMW's I replaced pads in. Z16 in the 1 series and M235, Z23 in the M4 & M2

Just so you know the Z23 & Z26 share the same pad. The only difference it the backing shim. The Z23 has a rubberized backing shim to dampen more noise the Z26 has just a different thickness non rubberized shim to increase its resistance to heat that larger cars or higher HP cars can generate on the pads but it is the exact same pad & material.

Their pads are great and quite affordable that is why I continue to use them...but then I don't officially track. I am going to try out a set of Z26's to see if the different backing shim causes additional noise. The Z23's have always given me a shout when backing out of the garage.....my wife just loves it in the morning when she is sleeping
Yep, I got the Z23's strictly for street, and the price is extremely reasonable (compared to stock pads) with less brake dust.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 01:51 PM   #6
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY18 X3 M40i, MY18 M3 ZCP

Any pad change is ideal to be accompanied with light sanding of rotor for better bedding of the pad to the existing rotor (unless you change rotor along with pads).

All pads leave its own wear on the rotor. Wear that has been resulted from using one pad will most likely to result in unsafe and reduced performance at the same time.

This videos will give you a good idea of the reason and the procedure.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 12:49 PM   #7
mdriverSD
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2 6MT LBB

which Powerstop pads are better for the M2???

I see some on here are using the Z23 and some have the Z26?? I would think the Z26 would be a better option for the M2? hmmm
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 03:17 PM   #8
eeyang92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriverSD View Post
which Powerstop pads are better for the M2???

I see some on here are using the Z23 and some have the Z26?? I would think the Z26 would be a better option for the M2? hmmm
The Z26 is a newer compound, and it is likely slightly better than the Z23. However, some people reported it squeals a bit more but I think that can probably be fixed with proper application of brake lubricant.

At the end of the day though, I wanted dustless pads for the street, so a small difference in stopping power doesn't make a difference to me - I can still engage ABS so I am still traction limited either way. I think the Z23's were a tad cheaper too.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 02:26 PM   #9
mdriverSD
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2 6MT LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyang92 View Post
The Z26 is a newer compound, and it is likely slightly better than the Z23. However, some people reported it squeals a bit more but I think that can probably be fixed with proper application of brake lubricant.

At the end of the day though, I wanted dustless pads for the street, so a small difference in stopping power doesn't make a difference to me - I can still engage ABS so I am still traction limited either way. I think the Z23's were a tad cheaper too.
ahh ok cool thanks. I wonder how the Z23's compare to the new Hawk 5.0 pads that are also supposed be be a low dust pad.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 11:04 PM   #10
MiStR StEvO
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

I want to go with aftermarket pads as well for mainly less brake dust. The issue I have had with previous cars with going aftermarket is the click it makes after reversing the car then going forward using the brakes the first time makes a loud click. Same applies to applying the brakes the first time when going into reverse. I guess it's the pad moving upwards/downwards within the caliper. Basically pad hitting the interior wall of the caliper. Is there a way to not have this happen? Also would love to see Hawk HPS but I think they only have HPS 5.0
2018 LBB M2 DCT
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2018, 07:09 AM   #11
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

I don't pay any attention to the clicking....

they create very minimal dust, easy on the rotors, brake well, and seem to have slightly less heat fatigue fade.

They do screetch every now and then and they click

I love mine and the first thing I change out on my last 3 M cars

Last edited by horsepower_and_hounds; 09-01-2018 at 07:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 01:41 PM   #12
eeyang92
Captain
Rep

After running Z23's for a month or so now, no clicks so far, but as m2ruder just mentioned, I do get occasional (very loud) squeals when the brakes are cold. It goes away after 2-3 normal braking cycles, but it was surprising the first time I heard it.

When I first installed it I didn't have any squealing, so not sure what changed. Maybe I power washed my wheels too hard and washed away my brake lubricant?
Appreciate 0