BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Trim choices for the M2?

09-07-2014, 11:38 AM   #23
Steven1077
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i

I would imagine it will be much like an M3 inside give or take
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 08:47 PM   #24
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
If it does not have nicer leather and the ability to have full leather dash and trim then it is not an M car by definition.
This is funny...I don't care who you are.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 08:52 PM   #25
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Yep...probably have to go with the Cayman.
Curious as to why you chose a 228 over a cayman.....?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 10:27 PM   #26
The J-Man
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
If anybody is more worried about what trim you are getting over other key areas?
Then perhaps the M2 is not for you...
Please communicate to BMW that we are not impressed with the hard plastic interiors of late. The performance aspects go without saying. There's nothing wrong with wanting a nice interior in a small car like the 2-series.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 10:34 PM   #27
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Mineral White/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Curious as to why you chose a 228 over a cayman.....?
I bought the wife a $40000 SUV last year. Cayman was not financially responsible this time around. The 228i will be going to my daughter when she turns 16 in three years...then Dad gets his Cayman...or M2 if I like the interior.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 02:30 AM   #28
TS135i
piggy in the mirror
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 6MT 135i

Quote:
I bought the wife a $40000 SUV last year. Cayman was not financially responsible this time around. The 228i will be going to my daughter when she turns 16 in three years...then Dad gets his Cayman...or M2 if I like the interior.
You can be sure the Cayman will have leather options for just about anything within the interior, but it sure adds up
      09-08-2014, 06:58 AM   #29
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS135i View Post
You can be sure the Cayman will have leather options for just about anything within the interior, but it sure adds up
Yes it does...Porsche is worse than BMW when it comes to options. I dont plan on going nuts. I dont need every square inch covered in leather. I mean fuse box covered in leather? Who needs that...lol?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 07:39 AM   #30
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Yes it does...Porsche is worse than BMW when it comes to options. I dont plan on going nuts. I dont need every square inch covered in leather. I mean fuse box covered in leather? Who needs that...lol?
If you want a full leather dash, it'll cost you $3000+, which IS nuts (to me anyway). If you go look at the M3/4 guys, not that many people will tick that checkbox.

I'd gladly pay the $10k more for the performance parts that you said weren't going to make a difference, especially if they come straight from the M3/4. I assure you they'll be very noticeable. Brakes, real M EPS, LSD, upgraded suspension parts, M seats (not a huge fan of the way the regular 2er seats look personally). Let me put it this way. You try to do that on your own on your 228i, and tell me how much that'll cost you.

Regardless, I think the interesting part will come down to the pricing. An M2 will already be same price or cheaper than a base Cayman (remains to be seen if they include heated seats and nav like the M3/4), and about $10k cheaper than Cayman S I would think.

I think the M2, if priced right, even with an N55, will be a hell of a bargain for what you get. Fingers crossed they come through with weight savings.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 07:47 AM   #31
UpNcOmINg!
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e82 BMW 135i

I really doubt that Nav and heated/Electric seats will be included to be honest.
I would expect the M2 to have the same standard spec at the m235i, just with Xenons and possibly rear PDC as standard.
Other than that, I foresee everything else being an option. I hope so. Nav and heated seats for what!? I live in SA, its already hitting 30degree's celsius and we just breaking into Spring. Plus its extra weight
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 08:11 AM   #32
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNcOmINg! View Post
I really doubt that Nav and heated/Electric seats will be included to be honest.
I would expect the M2 to have the same standard spec at the m235i, just with Xenons and possibly rear PDC as standard.
Other than that, I foresee everything else being an option. I hope so. Nav and heated seats for what!? I live in SA, its already hitting 30degree's celsius and we just breaking into Spring. Plus its extra weight
Honestly, if I got an M2, it'd be light on options too. The only thing I'd want would be cloth seats from the M3/4 (which should be free anyway), HK sound system, and LED headlights if they offered it (maybe after 2er gets LCI?). I wouldn't mind if nav was standard, but I probably wouldn't pay for it.

P.S. Xenons are already standard on the M235i in the US.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 08:22 AM   #33
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
If you want a full leather dash, it'll cost you $3000+, which IS nuts (to me anyway). If you go look at the M3/4 guys, not that many people will tick that checkbox.

I'd gladly pay the $10k more for the performance parts that you said weren't going to make a difference, especially if they come straight from the M3/4. I assure you they'll be very noticeable. Brakes, real M EPS, LSD, upgraded suspension parts, M seats (not a huge fan of the way the regular 2er seats look personally). Let me put it this way. You try to do that on your own on your 228i, and tell me how much that'll cost you.

Regardless, I think the interesting part will come down to the pricing. An M2 will already be same price or cheaper than a base Cayman (remains to be seen if they include heated seats and nav like the M3/4), and about $10k cheaper than Cayman S I would think.

I think the M2, if priced right, even with an N55, will be a hell of a bargain for what you get. Fingers crossed they come through with weight savings.
You and I have different needs in our cars. Those performance options are of no use to me. I want my luxury car to feel like a luxury car while handling well in real world driving. I would not opt for the Cayman S, the 2.7 has more than enough power for me. Full Leather is a requirement as well as Infotainment with NAV. I would spring for the PASM as I would think it would help with driving comfort in some way. Yes I could see me getting well into the 70s with a Cayman, while I am sure any M2 I would purchase would be well into the 60s. Can't predict the future, for me its 3 years from now so maybe my needs will change or financially I may not be prepared to get either. Things happen, unexpected expenses pop up and luxuries have to be put on hold.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 09:02 AM   #34
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
You and I have different needs in our cars. Those performance options are of no use to me. I want my luxury car to feel like a luxury car while handling well in real world driving. I would not opt for the Cayman S, the 2.7 has more than enough power for me. Full Leather is a requirement as well as Infotainment with NAV. I would spring for the PASM as I would think it would help with driving comfort in some way. Yes I could see me getting well into the 70s with a Cayman, while I am sure any M2 I would purchase would be well into the 60s. Can't predict the future, for me its 3 years from now so maybe my needs will change or financially I may not be prepared to get either. Things happen, unexpected expenses pop up and luxuries have to be put on hold.
And there's nothing wrong with that, we for sure have different priorities as soon as you said what makes an M car is a full leather dash. I think most people here would agree that we want the M2 to be back to basics M car. Don't get me wrong, I really like the F80 a lot, and you can load the car up to the brim with all the newest tech, but I think we want the M2 to be the complete opposite to that.

I think if you want an M2, with adaptive suspension and NAV, it can be had for right under $60k (full leather dash for sure will not be an option). Just a hunch. Whereas base Cayman, with full leather and Nav will be over $60k, and that's with the cheapest wheels possible and none of the crazy colors.

Personally, i think it's going to be so interesting when there are comparisons. The M2 will have the more powerful engine and better bang for your buck (and practicality), while the Cayman will be the purer drivers car. Can't wait.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 09:25 AM   #35
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
And there's nothing wrong with that, we for sure have different priorities as soon as you said what makes an M car is a full leather dash. I think most people here would agree that we want the M2 to be back to basics M car. Don't get me wrong, I really like the F80 a lot, and you can load the car up to the brim with all the newest tech, but I think we want the M2 to be the complete opposite to that.

I think if you want an M2, with adaptive suspension and NAV, it can be had for right under $60k (full leather dash for sure will not be an option). Just a hunch. Whereas base Cayman, with full leather and Nav will be over $60k, and that's with the cheapest wheels possible and none of the crazy colors.

Personally, i think it's going to be so interesting when there are comparisons. The M2 will have the more powerful engine and better bang for your buck (and practicality), while the Cayman will be the purer drivers car. Can't wait.
Yep..I was hoping the M2 would have all the options the M4 has, but that may not be the case. I know M4s start in the low 60s but if you go to the lot the cheapest optioned ones you will find are in the upper 70s and the average being around 80,000. I figured all things being equal the M2 would be 10-12 grand less. Things may not be equal though, they may stick to the M1 type builds.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 06:32 AM   #36
BLU135i
Senior Chief Petty Officer USN
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossifumi View Post
It is an individual option that is available as "standard" on M cars, so I guess it is a matter of definition. But since the factory can't add this item on regular cars I find it highly unlikely it will on the M2.

Just look at this post from SCOTT26, http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showp...&postcount=207" rel="ugc" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://www.2addicts....tcount=207</a>
If it does not have nicer leather and the ability to have full leather dash and trim then it is not an M car by definition. All M cars have these upgrades. If the M2 is not going to have these things there is really no reason to purchase one over an M235i, just for a little more horse power and torque. There will be nothing to differentiate aesthetically from the M235i other that color and maybe a carbon fiber roof. I really think at this point it is all speculation, nobody knows for sure any of this, we are just guessing at this point. I would not buy an M car that had VW plastic dashboard.
Really? It's the interior that defines it as an M car? How about suspension? An M car should be about the driving experience, not if it has a leather dash. In my opinion you can keep all that crap if the car handles and performs well.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 09:23 AM   #37
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

As far as I'm concerned I'll gladly take an m235i interior. The extra $$$ is for the upgraded driving dynamics and fun factor.

I'd even pass on the nav if given the option (looks like its standard in the m3/4).
Appreciate 0