BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > know thy enemy well... Audi RS3...

08-23-2014, 12:47 AM   #67
Devon K
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBD

Thanks for relating your experiences with the DCT bradleyland - as a MT-only owner (hell, as a 1-car owner so far) I found them extremely interesting. I'm definitely planning to test drive a DCT prior to deciding on a transmission if I go the M2 route.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 11:02 AM   #68
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Okay, can't we all just hug it out without getting butt-hurt over our differences in preferences? lol.

DCT guys like their DCTs and MT guys like their MTs. Neither is better or worse because we are each looking for a different experience. Just so happens that for me, I find the mechanical connection to be more fun. Others prefer the ability to not have to focus on the (unnecessary via technology) third pedal. Guess what? For the time being (and hopefully long into the future), as long as we choose BMW, we get the choice.

An anecdote that some will understand and some will shake their heads at:
A few years ago before I got my 135i, I was driving a VW Jetta TDI (6MT) and my (now ex) wife had a BMW 328 (AT). Her Bimmer had better acceleration and had better, flatter cornering, but I rarely drove it to work when offered, even though I drove through a hellish stop-and-go Cambridge/Boston commute. I preferred the fun of the MT VW over the better-performing and more luxurious AT BMW, even in stop-and-go traffic. To me the traffic doesn't bother me- that's just driving, in my book, which I love to do. I don't mind the workout my left leg gets (I'm a fitness enthusiast anyway, so more movement is always better in any situation in my opinion).

Conversely, my wife, who could drive a MT skillfully, deliberately chose the AT so as to not have to deal with a clutch in traffic. To each his (or her) own.

(That said, after I got my 135, she was so impressed with it that when her 328 lease was up, she got a 128 MT) ;-)

Dif'rent strokes for dif'rent folks.

All that said, I wouldn't choose the RS3 for two reasons: the lack of a MT, and the fact that I have yet to drive an Audi with as good of a steering feel as a BMW. This one might be different, but all Audis I have driven are too light in the steering - too much boosted assist.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 02:13 PM   #69
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
Okay, can't we all just hug it out without getting butt-hurt over our differences in preferences? lol.
Who is butt-hurt? You're projecting, dude.

Quote:
DCT guys like their DCTs and MT guys like their MTs. Neither is better or worse because we are each looking for a different experience. Just so happens that for me, I find the mechanical connection to be more fun. Others prefer the ability to not have to focus on the (unnecessary via technology) third pedal. Guess what? For the time being (and hopefully long into the future), as long as we choose BMW, we get the choice.
Agree for the most part. Just keep in mind that the preference for DCT isn't always because someone finds the clutch pedal unnecessary. I love working the clutch pedal, but I also love the DCT; just for different reasons.

My next car will be a manual again, but not because I find DCT lacking. I just like to change it up. I can say this much, DCT is the only manu-matic I've driven that I consider an alternative to a manual. VW's DSG just doesn't do it for me, and the dual-clutch in the CLA 45 drove me bonkers.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 01:06 AM   #70
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:

An anecdote that some will understand and some will shake their heads at:
A few years ago before I got my 135i, I was driving a VW Jetta TDI (6MT) and my (now ex) wife had a BMW 328 (AT). Her Bimmer had better acceleration and had better, flatter cornering, but I rarely drove it to work when offered, even though I drove through a hellish stop-and-go Cambridge/Boston commute. I preferred the fun of the MT VW over the better-performing and more luxurious AT BMW, even in stop-and-go traffic. To me the traffic doesn't bother me- that's just driving, in my book, which I love to do. I don't mind the workout my left leg gets (I'm a fitness enthusiast anyway, so more movement is always better in any situation in my opinion).

Conversely, my wife, who could drive a MT skillfully, deliberately chose the AT so as to not have to deal with a clutch in traffic. To each his (or her) own.

(That said, after I got my 135, she was so impressed with it that when her 328 lease was up, she got a 128 MT) ;-)

Dif'rent strokes for dif'rent folks.

All that said, I wouldn't choose the RS3 for two reasons: the lack of a MT, and the fact that I have yet to drive an Audi with as good of a steering feel as a BMW. This one might be different, but all Audis I have driven are too light in the steering - too much boosted assist.
Yes, different strokes! As I said earlier, I was an early adopter of the first mass produced DCT! I remember the quick shifts and mechanical connection over slushboxes of the past but 8 years have passed and I have driven every other type of DCT and still do but I just don't find the satisfaction and connection of the old school MT.

I recently watched Chris Harris compare the 2015 Golf R and M235i. He said he thought the Golf chassis and suspension were better and the engine more flexible but in the end, he preferred what you can get with a front engine rear wheel drive car. If you think about it a 2.0L turbo making 300hp, all wheel drive and dynamic suspension that is actually good is like the DCT more modern and better, yet Harris chose the less precise chassis etc because rear drive gave him a feeling you can't get with super advanced all wheel drive. This is analogous to the DCT and MT. Something "better," faster, more modern is not more enjoyable for some. So as long as BMW respects my wishes, I feel compelled to vote with my wallet. Sorry Audi!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 01:01 PM   #71
Tony
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

The Clutch pedal is an Archaic device. What will you guys want next? A choke? Hand Crank Starters? I'm sure people complained about the loss of the Hand-Crank Starter. People even bragged that their horse is better than any car.

There's a reason why Lambo and Ferrari told you clutch-pedal guys to take a walk. If it were up to you, we'd be driving cars with 1920's derived transmissions forever. You like old outdated transmissions, I get it. But don't expect everyone to be as stuck in the past as you guys. And I voted with my Wallet, For DCT.

Last edited by Tony; 08-25-2014 at 01:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 01:52 PM   #72
SmallTownBoy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i 6MT PSS BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
The Clutch pedal is an Archaic device.
Eh, Tony, wassamaddaforyou? You no like-a da clutch? You pusha da lef pedal, blip-a da gas anna move-a da stick. Badda Bing, Badda Boom - smood like fettucine alfredo.

Quote:
There's a reason why Lambo and Ferrari told you clutch-pedal guys to take a walk.
And what was that, pray tell? I drive MT because I enjoy it a lot. As long as they make 'em, I'll buy 'em.
      08-25-2014, 02:07 PM   #73
Tony
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownBoy View Post
And what was that, pray tell? I drive MT because I enjoy it a lot. As long as they make 'em, I'll buy 'em.
Ask Lambo or Ferrari. They are the ones who told you clutch pedal guys to take a walk. The list of performance cars that you cannot get with a clutch pedal is staggering.

Now tell me, if the clutch pedal is that good, then why is it excluded on every Ferrari and Lambo? Are those cars not fun? Are those cars boring to drive? I don't think so. Are those cars lacking in involvement? Is a 458 Italia boring? The Clutch pedal is done, and I'm glad to see it go. It isn't needed for performance driving, or to have fun. It's just a cumbersome, archaic device that requires for you to jump through hoops just to shift a gear.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 02:17 PM   #74
SmallTownBoy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Ask Lambo or Ferrari.
Ah, my bad. For a minute I thought you claimed to know something.

What's boring is this incessant "MT is obsolete" bullshit. I don't care if you think it's obsolete and it's not relevant to the discussion.

I also don't care to tell others what they should or shouldn't like, or what options they should or shouldn't have. Enjoy your choice of tranny. Peace out.
      08-25-2014, 02:43 PM   #75
Tony
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ah, my bad. For a minute I thought you claimed to know something.

What's boring is this incessant "MT is obsolete" bullshit. I don't care if you think it's obsolete and it's not relevant to the discussion.
What's boring are you manual guys calling DCT boring. You do it all the time. Guess you can dish it out but you cant take it?

Quote:
I also don't care to tell others what they should or shouldn't like, or what options they should or shouldn't have. Enjoy your choice of tranny. Peace out.
Then why don't you say the same thing to the manual tranny lovers that knock DCT Ad nauseam? I see a little hypocrisy going on with you. Enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 03:12 PM   #76
SmallTownBoy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
What's boring are you manual guys calling DCT boring. You do it all the time. Guess you can dish it out but you cant take it?
Yes, ALL of us are saying the SAME thing, ALL the time. You've got us dead to rights. There's a difference between "enjoy more" and "the alternative is boring." I didn't malign your choice, I just enjoy the MT more. You, however, want to make that choice for "us."

Quote:
Then why don't you say the same thing to the manual tranny lovers that knock DCT Ad nauseam? I see a little hypocrisy going on with you. Enjoy.
I don't have to, and generally their posts are not as noxious as yours.
      08-25-2014, 03:30 PM   #77
Tony
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes, ALL of us are saying the SAME thing, ALL the time. You've got us dead to rights. There's a difference between "enjoy more" and "the alternative is boring." I didn't malign your choice, I just enjoy the MT more. You, however, want to make that choice for "us."
I don't care what choice you make. You can drive a stage coach for all I care. The point I was trying to make is that every time this subject is brought up. Out come the manual lovers attacking DCT. As if they are insecure about something. It never fails. you hear them say; "No manual no sale". Who Gives a F?

Quote:
I don't have to, and generally their posts are not as noxious as yours.
noxious? That's what you call posts that you don't agree with? I got it now.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 03:48 PM   #78
SmallTownBoy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I don't care what choice you make. You can drive a stage coach for all I care. The point I was trying to make is that every time this subject is brought up. Out come the manual lovers attacking DCT. As is they are insecure about something. It never fails. you hear them say; "No manual no sale". Who Gives a F?
You do. You care. A lot. Just go back and read your post #71. Nothing but slanging against MT and MT drivers, as a class. Enjoy your DCT, and thanks for your opinion about the future of MT. If you ever find out the reason why Lambo and Ferrari "sent me a message", get back to us, ok?

Quote:
noxious? That's what you call posts that you don't agree with? I got it now.
No, that's what I called your posts in this thread.
      08-27-2014, 01:49 PM   #79
Tony
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You do. You care. A lot. Just go back and read your post #71. Nothing but slanging against MT and MT drivers, as a class. Enjoy your DCT, and thanks for your opinion about the future of MT. If you ever find out the reason why Lambo and Ferrari "sent me a message", get back to us, ok?
I don't care. I'm just slinging the mud back that was slung at us. If you want to look like you are having a convulsion just to accomplish a gear shift, be my guest. Not sure why I would care about that.

Quote:
No, that's what I called your posts in this thread.
You are clearly a one-sided hypocrite that refuses to acknowledge that the manual lovers bash DCT (they started it). Later.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 02:26 PM   #80
Cope
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' VO 1M, 17' LBB M2

Quote:
If you want to look like you are having a convulsion just to accomplish a gear shift, be my guest.
Convulsion? Good use of hyperbole. Unless you actually are convulsing, then I would see a licensed health professional because there's something wrong.

Quote:
You are clearly a one-sided hypocrite that refuses to acknowledge that the manual lovers bash DCT (they started it).
No you started it!

But in all seriousness, just buy what you want and get over it.
      08-27-2014, 03:36 PM   #81
Tony
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cope View Post
Convulsion? Good use of hyperbole. Unless you actually are convulsing, then I would see a licensed health professional because there's something wrong.
OK how about looking like you are having an Epileptic Seizure to accomplish a gear shift? LOL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cope View Post
No you started it!
These 2 quotes are from folks here (in quotes below). Keep in mind at this point no one had weighed in or even mentioned DCT. These posts were well in advance of mine. But I started it? LOL! Whatever dude. Now watch you say something like I escalated it. I responded. Big difference.

“Many of us that prefer manual transmissions because of the way they drive are constantly confronted by the automatic fans that cling rapaciously .1 or .2 second faster 0-60 time saying things like "you'll end up in the slow lane with a manual.”

“RS3 is irrelevant and not worthy of consideration because they are making it auto only (and yes, DCT still counts as an auto).”
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 04:31 PM   #82
SmallTownBoy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

You either (i) have serious reading comprehension and reasoning deficits or (ii) are a troll. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and go with the latter.

Last edited by SmallTownBoy; 08-27-2014 at 04:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 07:06 PM   #83
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

ANYONE who argues MT vs DCT is a troll. You guys ruined yet another thread (not that it was a very good one anyway).
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 11:09 PM   #84
Cope
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' VO 1M, 17' LBB M2

Quote:
OK how about looking like you are having an Epileptic Seizure to accomplish a gear shift? LOL!!
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=hyperbole

08-28-2014, 10:01 AM   #85
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

Jesus, people, let go of the whole MT/DCT thing (which is especially irrelevant here, since the RS3 doesn't have a MT and the 235 doesn't have a DCT - it's an AT). It's a personal preference thing and fortunately we still have the choice.

It's like arguing whether chocolate or vanilla ice cream is better - it's a dumb thing to fight over when there is no right or wrong answer.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 10:33 AM   #86
Tony
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You either (i) have serious reading comprehension and reasoning deficits or (ii) are a troll. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and go with the latter.
And I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and tell you to KMA.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 11:29 AM   #87
sgrinavi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 911GTS & 2014 X1

Garage List
Quote:
Jesus, people, let go of the whole MT/DCT thing (which is especially irrelevant here, since the RS3 doesn't have a MT and the 235 doesn't have a DCT - it's an AT). It's a personal preference thing and fortunately we still have the choice.

It's like arguing whether chocolate or vanilla ice cream is better - it's a dumb thing to fight over when there is no right or wrong answer.
I think people get that, but it's our duty to defend our position regardless of how pointless it is.

Oh ya - Chocolate is better, lets fight.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 12:49 PM   #88
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrinavi View Post
I think people get that, but it's our duty to defend our position regardless of how pointless it is.

Oh ya - Chocolate is better, lets fight.
Chocolate? Are you kidding me?!?! You must be an IDIOT!!!!
Appreciate 0