ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]

Both of these youtubes seem to sound better than the Akrapovic.
Appreciate 2
f80_MG563.50
Jimjamz4581.50
      01-25-2021, 12:08 AM   #68
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i | M2 CS | X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb804 View Post
I think you’re talking about titanium Akrapovic tips. Those are the ones referred to earlier in this thread. No issues with the MPE.
This might settle it that the MPE is the way i'd go.
Damn I know. The cost though wow. Also I don't necessarily want anything over the top loud as can be but this being OEM is very appealing to me.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 12:25 AM   #69
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomoM3 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I think you're talking about titanium Akrapovic tips. Those are the ones referred to earlier in this thread. No issues with the MPE.
Damn I know. The cost though wow. Also I don't necessarily want anything over the top loud as can be but this being OEM is very appealing to me.
MPE sounds great, but it's pretty sad that I have to pay BMW $6k so the car can sound and look like it should have when it left the factory
Appreciate 2
MomoM3987.00
      01-25-2021, 02:37 AM   #70
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Curious, anybody looked into armytrix at all?

Stainless, with a number of tip options and remote valve control (love the term “beast mode”)
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2021, 04:22 AM   #71
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hol' up, so the MPE titanium muffler and tips at $6,300 will not stay polished and shiny but will instead blue/yellow/darken? Eh...

cb804 how has yours held up?
I think you're talking about titanium Akrapovic tips. Those are the ones referred to earlier in this thread. No issues with the MPE.
How loud is the MPE? Any drone? Hard to tell via clips online.
The MPE I had on the F80 sounded excellent and looked the business (attaching some pics). If it's titanium for the CS and available in Aus I may well go that way. I like the idea of having as much of the car original BMW if possible. I should confirm Australian availability by Wednesday I'm hoping. My parts guy is off today on a long weekend but is onto it Wednesday first thing.

That said, going Remus or Akra can also work, particularly if you're going to part out at the end. The CS however is the first car I've bought which I am thinking I may not sell. Who'd have thunk it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
MomoM3987.00
      01-25-2021, 04:28 AM   #72
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Your M3 Comp was grey yeh?
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2021, 04:56 AM   #73
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
MPE sounds great, but it's pretty sad that I have to pay BMW $6k so the car can sound and look like it should have when it left the factory
I like how it sounds. Open your window. It's going to be really really nice in a few thousand more km.
Appreciate 2
Jimjamz4581.50
      01-25-2021, 05:31 AM   #74
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine* View Post
Your M3 Comp was grey yeh?
A great car. Mineral grey.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Alpine*1282.00
Davil6524.50
      01-25-2021, 06:40 AM   #75
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Brothers from another lol

Macau Blue 30 Jahre
Attached Images

Last edited by Alpine*; 01-25-2021 at 06:46 AM..
Appreciate 2
Jimjamz4581.50
      01-25-2021, 07:16 AM   #76
cb804
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340 xDrive, M2C

Here's a quick iphone video of the MPE on my M2C... not the best quality but it gives you the idea... much deeper and louder sound than stock exhaust.

Appreciate 3
f80_MG563.50
Rev_Hi296.50
Jimjamz4581.50
      01-25-2021, 07:23 AM   #77
f80_MG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 ZCP MPE `17

Quote:
Quite restrained in Comfort, but if you're neighbors are close, they will hear the cold start EVERY time. It's a running joke in my neighborhood!

Quote:
True, should have been included on the CS (like it was for the GTS). You would pay about 5.5k if your dealer adds it at cost, and likely closer to 4.7 if you buy it afterwards (could also sell the OEM and recoup a little bit of the cost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz View Post
The MPE I had on the F80 sounded excellent and looked the business (attaching some pics). If it's titanium for the CS and available in Aus I may well go that way. I like the idea of having as much of the car original BMW if possible. I should confirm Australian availability by Wednesday I'm hoping. My parts guy is off today on a long weekend but is onto it Wednesday first thing.

That said, going Remus or Akra can also work, particularly if you're going to part out at the end. The CS however is the first car I've bought which I am thinking may not sell. Who'd have thunk it.
Mineral grey here too!!!

And yes, the exhaust construction is titanium, same as the M3 version. Only thing different I see so far is the construction of the CF tips (the attachment screws and length of the CF part are different).

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  589.2 KB
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2021, 07:31 AM   #78
f80_MG
Lieutenant
Rep

Left is a stock image and right is with the MPE
Name:  Exhaust Comparison-01.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  169.0 KB

Also forgot I had this from transport. All pretty much at idle, so not super interesting.

Appreciate 1
      01-25-2021, 08:54 AM   #79
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by f80_MG View Post
Left is a stock image and right is with the MPE
The exhaust on the left car looks so crooked... I had the same issue with my M4. Fixed it by getting an AWE exhaust. I don't know wtf is up with BMW quality control, but c'mon thats bad. I won't even mention the shitty paint job they put on my car.
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2021, 09:00 AM   #80
f80_MG
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wah View Post
The exhaust on the left car looks so crooked... I had the same issue with my M4. Fixed it by getting an AWE exhaust. I don't know wtf is up with BMW quality control, but c'mon thats bad. I won't even mention the shitty paint job they put on my car.
I've seen/hallucinated that crookedness on a few comps but no clue how it could be because the U clamps are not adjustable.
Maybe just an illusion
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2021, 09:07 AM   #81
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by f80_MG View Post
I've seen/hallucinated that crookedness on a few comps but no clue how it could be because the U clamps are not adjustable.
Maybe just an illusion
I'm pretty certain it is not unfortunately. My M4 muffler hung the same way with the driver side lower than the passenger side. My guess is poorly positioned exhaust hangers welded on muffler itself although I think maybe my AWE exhaust might have been slightly off kilter as well. It just wasn't as noticeable since the muffler itself was narrower, and the tips were adjustable (and I really didn't want to know).
Appreciate 1
f80_MG563.50
      01-25-2021, 10:01 AM   #82
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
The MPE hangs down like the stock exhaust. It's saving grace is that it's smooth, polished, and says m performance where you can see it. Its better than stock, but wonder why they didn't tuck it up higher. I don't mind it and think it looks good. Almost every other solution looks better though.
Here you go:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Today I was with the M2 project lead of BMW M and he explained to me the reason for the ugly exhaust bulge hanging under the back of the car.
The reason is crash safety of the rear end of the car. The main reason it is hanging so low is that when you have a rear impact from someone else driving into the back of you, the exhaust slides downwards and not upwards plus inwards.
This was the official reason to hang the rear muffler so low, while we all know there is a lot of space above the rear muffler. They could have put it higher into the bodywork, but crash safety stopped them from doing it.
Clear answer if I say so myself...
MR
Quote:
It's also why most cars have the exhaust hidden behind fake exhaust ports now as well. Low speed rear end collisions.
Everything you suggests cost additional money and effort, while they have to cut cost levels and not make the car more expensive.
Painting mufflers is not something I have seen a car marker do. I wonder how reliable that is on the long run.
M Performance still hangs quite low in comparison to other systems and is only homologated in the US. Doesn't cover the whole world, a stock exhaust should...
MR
Trivia:
Quote:
I met up with the project lead of the BMW M2 series, and I had the chance to ask him everything. Of course, he could not answer all, but shared a lot of information about the M2 CS that many of you guys might not know yet. (Or maybe do...)
[...]
4. The exhaust on the CS has two changes from the M2C. It has a new mid damper and larger CS style tailipes for an enhanced sound volume. I heard the car and the sound is not that different from the M2C. It is a notch louder.
Jimjamz4581.50
      01-25-2021, 10:58 AM   #83
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Here you go:

Trivia:
Something to consider if swapping the exhaust. 1. How is my safety impacted? 2. Could this result in a total loss vs a repairable accident in the event of a rear-end collision? My thought is that #2 could be the more prominent and real issue. Something to consider when you can't get another one.
      01-25-2021, 02:46 PM   #84
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Something to consider if swapping the exhaust. 1. How is my safety impacted? 2. Could this result in a total loss vs a repairable accident in the event of a rear-end collision? My thought is that #2 could be the more prominent and real issue. Something to consider when you can't get another one.
Well, if it were a fuel tank and the cars gets rear-ended:

01-25-2021, 03:06 PM   #85
MinionM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 // 2020 M2CS

With MPE are you having to cut the stock system or is it a full replacement?

Current Garage:
2012 M3 ZCP, Mineral White, DCT: Track Build
2020 M2CS, Misano Blue, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 03:18 PM   #86
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Quote:
Do these questions matter even for MPE? I'd hope BMW crash tested, or at least designed the MPE to act the same way as the stock exhaust.
Appreciate 1
MomoM3987.00
      01-25-2021, 03:20 PM   #87
f80_MG
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinionM3 View Post
Cut after the sec cats.
Also fully emissions compliant

Quote:
Do these questions matter even for MPE? I'd hope BMW crash tested, or at least designed the MPE to act the same way as the stock exhaust.
It doesn't matter for the MPE because it hangs low as well, similar to the stock exhaust. Just looks different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Well, if it were a fuel tank and the cars gets rear-ended:

thank you for the comic relief as always!
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2021, 03:25 PM   #88
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinionM3 View Post
You have to cut it.

Appreciate 0