BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Carbahn Stage 1 tune for a CS - Whos got one?

07-10-2023, 01:03 PM   #1
omak81
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS Black/Black Manual

Carbahn Stage 1 tune for a CS - Whos got one?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
So I gave Chris at Carbahn a call today to chat about the tunes they offer and if it was possible for my post 06/2020 to be tuned, he assured me they can tune them all now.

That was great news for me. Im curious now if this was new info or if im late to the party and am hoping to find someone with this already done to hear some first hand experience.

I am having the AA catted down pipes, AA equal length resonated midpipe, and Eisennman valved exhaust put on this coming weekend.

When it comes to the Carbahn tunes it goes as follows.
Stage 1 is stock to full downpipe + midpipe + catback.

Stage 2 required the heat exchanger.

Stage 3 required the heat exchanger, highly recommended crank hub, and Pure Turbos.

So anyway does anyone have this installed on their CS yet?

EDIT: If you purchase one of their tunes and you want to upgrade to a higher stage later on you only pay the difference.
2020 M2CS 6Speed-Black Sapphire Metallic - Black Style 763M

Last edited by omak81; 07-10-2023 at 03:34 PM.. Reason: Added some key details I forgot.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2023, 01:16 PM   #2
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Interesting that they only recommend the crank hub for stage 3.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2023, 02:53 PM   #3
omak81
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Interesting that they only recommend the crank hub for stage 3.
He brought it up as a possibility for stage 2 as well but it was a must for stage 3.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2023, 02:57 PM   #4
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omak81 View Post
He brought it up as a possibility for stage 2 as well but it was a must for stage 3.
I think that's another interesting point that it was thought of as a must. Wondering if he has an idea around what might cause it. I thought it wasn't the power so much as rapid shock on the drivetrain. If you control the torque delivery would it make this less necessary. Don't get me wrong. I've added things to cars in the past to bulletproof and add piece of mind. I'm just curious if someone thinks they've figured this puzzle out.
Appreciate 1
omak81148.00
      07-10-2023, 03:24 PM   #5
omak81
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I think that's another interesting point that it was thought of as a must. Wondering if he has an idea around what might cause it. I thought it wasn't the power so much as rapid shock on the drivetrain. If you control the torque delivery would it make this less necessary. Don't get me wrong. I've added things to cars in the past to bulletproof and add piece of mind. I'm just curious if someone thinks they've figured this puzzle out.
I am under the same understanding as you as to why it happens. I have also heard putting in a solid crank hub can cause other more serious issues as the BMW crank hub is designed in a way to give to prevent more serious issues.

I think im just going to get the stage 1 or 2 and roll with the stock crank hub.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2023, 03:47 PM   #6
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I see auto rev match on the 6MT as a safety mechanism. Especially on track where you could get over eager and downshift too soon. Super sticky tires won't lose grip and send that shock to the drivetrain. I have auto rev match tuned off in efficient and active in sport and sport+. It takes a lot to relearn when to downshift after you've relied on rev match.

I think you could just as easily spin a hub tuned or not on track. I was taught not to "lightening shift" on track. Hopefully that will help mitigate against a missed shift.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2023, 03:37 AM   #7
aroundelway
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Rev match is off when you turn all the stability control stuff off — which you should be doing on the track.

The various modes are pretty good, but you do end up fighting them and they cook the rear brakes anyway.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2023, 08:09 AM   #8
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundelway View Post
Rev match is off when you turn all the stability control stuff off — which you should be doing on the track.

The various modes are pretty good, but you do end up fighting them and they cook the rear brakes anyway.
I've been running in MDM mode. I thought about going traction full off. I spoke to an instructor at the Performance center about it. He said that traction off isn't necessary if your keeping the car pointed in the right direction. I was sharing my experience with cars that didn't have any nannies and thought it better to start in the M2 with no nannies.

My personal experience has been good in MDM mode. I've rarely seen the traction control light come on while on track and my rear pads look barely used. Unsure it brake coding had anything to do with that.

That's not to say that it isn't interfering and I may have adapted to it. MDM allows quite a bit of sideways slip before it steps in so I've been using it as an emergency feature.

Is it obvious when it is interfering with your driving? It raises the question for me whether it has helped me vs hurt me.

If you like rev match, then you could have it coded to be on with traction control off more than likely.
      02-19-2024, 11:37 AM   #9
in867
Lateral G
Rep
Drives: 24 X5 M60i; 20 M2CS

I'm curious if anyone has done any of these Carbahn tunes on their CS. I'm itching for a little bit more, but I'm not loving the options I see on their website. The gains shown on Carbahn's website for the CS are not nearly as impressive as on the M2C.

From their website it looks like stage 1 Power Package only nets about 59 hp and 35 lb. ft. for $3,700 without the warranty or options.

Stage 2 Power Package is 98 hp and 44 lb. ft. for $8,200 without the warranty or options.

Stage 3 is 118 hp and 77 lb. ft. I can't find the Power Packaging pricing for Stage 3, but the crank hub kit is an additional $1k.

All of these options would not include labor.

Has anyone been in any of these Carbahn modded CS's that can speak to the value of the system?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 11:45 AM   #10
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by in867 View Post
I'm curious if anyone has done any of these Carbahn tunes on their CS. I'm itching for a little bit more, but I'm not loving the options I see on their website. The gains shown on Carbahn's website for the CS are not nearly as impressive as on the M2C.

From their website it looks like stage 1 Power Package only nets about 59 hp and 35 lb. ft. for $3,700 without the warranty or options.

Stage 2 Power Package is 98 hp and 44 lb. ft. for $8,200 without the warranty or options.

Stage 3 is 118 hp and 77 lb. ft. I can't find the Power Packaging pricing for Stage 3, but the crank hub kit is an additional $1k.

All of these options would not include labor.

Has anyone been in any of these Carbahn modded CS's that can speak to the value of the system?
Honestly, if your interested in a little more power I'd pull the DME and send it to Enabled
Appreciate 1
M3R12167.00
      02-19-2024, 01:36 PM   #11
JD_M2D2
In the garage
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2CS

59 hp and 35 lb. ft. for $3,700 is crazy
      02-20-2024, 11:36 AM   #12
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD_M2D2 View Post
Especially when the car doesn’t need it and it’s a low production car. Traction is already an issue through 2nd gear. It would help on the track or high speed runs, but I very rarely do either of those.

I’d pick up a used M2C in the high 40s and mod the hell out of it if I was looking for a track monster.
Appreciate 4
Davil6523.00
NPTM357.00
JD_M2D2390.00
m2ss1781.00
      02-20-2024, 01:47 PM   #13
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

Quote:
Honestly, if your interested in a little more power I'd pull the DME and send it to Enabled
Thank you for the tag!
That price is wild!

I'll be happy to coordinate and make any custom tunes for any of you all. I can do remote updates and customizations in any way desired as well.
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 1
JD_M2D2390.00
      02-21-2024, 05:15 AM   #14
NPTM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarrzhp View Post
Especially when the car doesn’t need it and it’s a low production car. Traction is already an issue through 2nd gear. It would help on the track or high speed runs, but I very rarely do either of those.

I’d pick up a used M2C in the high 40s and mod the hell out of it if I was looking for a track monster.
Agree with this 100% - it’s your car and do whatever you want with it at days end, but I think you also have to consider value reduction on the car alongside cost of this upgrade. Future CS buyers are going to pay significantly more for “unmolested” examples…so the actual all-in cost of this “upgrade” could be double or triple the tag you see now.

My gut would be to keep the CS to simple bolt-ons that are easily reversed and do little to impact the longevity / integrity of the vehicle…and mod the living **** out of an OG or M2C if that’s the route you want to take.
Appreciate 2
Davil6523.00
m2ss1781.00
      02-21-2024, 02:51 PM   #15
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPTM View Post
Agree with this 100% - it’s your car and do whatever you want with it at days end, but I think you also have to consider value reduction on the car alongside cost of this upgrade. Future CS buyers are going to pay significantly more for “unmolested” examples…so the actual all-in cost of this “upgrade” could be double or triple the tag you see now.

My gut would be to keep the CS to simple bolt-ons that are easily reversed and do little to impact the longevity / integrity of the vehicle…and mod the living **** out of an OG or M2C if that’s the route you want to take.
Definitely think about your end goal. I drive mine as a DD, on track, etc. I don't plan to sell it. Modding it will likely save me money in the long run. For me, my joy is primary and not concerned about the potential next person in line. However, if someone wants to keep theirs collectible they may want to limit the mods.
That said I've seen some highly modified "collectible" models fetch big sums years down the road.
      02-21-2024, 06:20 PM   #16
NPTM
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Definitely think about your end goal. I drive mine as a DD, on track, etc. I don't plan to sell it. Modding it will likely save me money in the long run. For me, my joy is primary and not concerned about the potential next person in line. However, if someone wants to keep theirs collectible they may want to limit the mods.
That said I've seen some highly modified "collectible" models fetch big sums years down the road.
I hear you there, trust me. I just think the more people strip out what makes a CS a CS, then why not just get an M2C and build that…if you’re not concerned about future value that sounds much cheaper in the end. Can likely fund the full build with the profit on swap. People start doing tune, suspension, exhaust, wheels, then it eventually gets to the point where a bulk of what made the car special over over a comp is gone…to each his own, trust me you can paint your CS pink and drill holes in the rear bunper if you want to and I couldn’t care less…just feels like the practical thing to do if heavy modding is on the docket is to get an M2C and take the 30k+ delta and plow that into your build…
Appreciate 2
Davil6523.00
      02-21-2024, 06:28 PM   #17
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPTM View Post
I hear you there, trust me. I just think the more people strip out what makes a CS a CS, then why not just get an M2C and build that…if you’re not concerned about future value that sounds much cheaper in the end. Can likely fund the full build with the profit on swap. People start doing tune, suspension, exhaust, wheels, then it eventually gets to the point where a bulk of what made the car special over over a comp is gone…to each his own, trust me you can paint your CS pink and drill holes in the rear bunper if you want to and I couldn’t care less…just feels like the practical thing to do if heavy modding is on the docket is to get an M2C and take the 30k+ delta and plow that into your build…
It's a fare point for sure. My biggest hang up was the interior difference between the C and CS. I also liked the added exclusivity of this model. If you were to get the the point of pulling the seats and interior I think that it would probably be best to start with a C. I'm not shy about where I'll land with mine, and it'll be right at 120k. So +35k on top of what I paid. A large chunk was PPF 7k. Exhaust 5k. 3.5k for another set of wheels and tires. 2.5k for suspension and brake parts. I expect another 13k in suspension (nitrons and adjustable arms, etc).
      02-21-2024, 08:44 PM   #18
NPTM
Private First Class
Rep

Yes interior is night and day - I drove 2 hours in my M2C to swap it for my CS, then two hours home in that. The back to back experience was really informative. Suspension feel and interior quality were massively improved and changed the car materially, to the point where those two things alone just made the car feel so special and fixed most of what I felt was deficient in my M2C that kept me lusting for a Porsche. Since the CS entered the garage, that Porsche craving is gone (mostly, haha!).
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 09:07 PM   #19
gmhl10
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Not a M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD_M2D2 View Post
Holy cow. I know some 992 Turbo tunes that aren't even that expensive!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 10:14 AM   #20
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

This guy got one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP_M2C View Post
CarBahn just replaced my motor under warranty. I had their tune and warranty and got rod knock. They just replaced my entire motor with their stage 1 s55 for FREE!! CarBahn for the win!!!!!
Appreciate 1
Enabled1406.00
      02-23-2024, 11:34 AM   #21
JD_M2D2
In the garage
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2CS

Yikes. That is a bit concerning.