BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Hands on review and test drive of the M2 CS literally just off the delivery truck

01-02-2021, 01:44 PM   #45
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedomn View Post
IMHO, I highly doubt this will be "an absolute future classic". The reason the 1M is so desired is because the msrp at 54k was a bargain and I think the Pyrat Rum story behind it (engineers working at nights and weekends) just doesn't happen at large auto manufacturers. A nice 1M can be bought in the 50's. With that said I love the M2 as I had an OG 2016. I was offered a CS but passed. The M4 GTS was a flop and the M3CS can be bought cheap now. Again it's just my opinion that BMW uses the "CS" marking to jack up the price with some alcantara and carbon fiber. Huge money maker for them per unit. The car is great but the price is ridiculous. I just picked up a barely used GT3 for similiar money.
What makes for a future classic is hugely enthusiastic fans and a beautifully engineered and designed car. Every classic has a narrative. The 1M narrative as a parts bin skunkworks is compelling. The F87 CS narrative is that it was purpose engineered to be the best of the best with nothing given to the M3 and at a time when BMW was losing its design mojo (BMW's first time EVO COTY just as fans, motor press and public were giving up on BMW design). No doubt there will be another Karim Habib and BMW's design flag will wave again. The F87 CS will be the car that goes down as the one that held the torch during the night.
Appreciate 8
Bimmed Out1908.50
Moflow2484.50
Davil6467.50
MomoM3984.00
Reedomn678.00
      01-03-2021, 06:11 AM   #46
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz View Post
Quote:
IMHO, I highly doubt this will be "an absolute future classic". The reason the 1M is so desired is because the msrp at 54k was a bargain and I think the Pyrat Rum story behind it (engineers working at nights and weekends) just doesn't happen at large auto manufacturers. A nice 1M can be bought in the 50's. With that said I love the M2 as I had an OG 2016. I was offered a CS but passed. The M4 GTS was a flop and the M3CS can be bought cheap now. Again it's just my opinion that BMW uses the "CS" marking to jack up the price with some alcantara and carbon fiber. Huge money maker for them per unit. The car is great but the price is ridiculous. I just picked up a barely used GT3 for similiar money.
What makes for a future classic is hugely enthusiastic fans and a beautifully engineered and designed car. Every future classic has a narrative. The 1M narrative as a parts bin skunkworks is compelling. The F87 CS narrative is that it was purpose engineered to be the best of the best with nothing given to the M3 and at a time when BMW was losing its design mojo (BMW's first time EVO COTY just as fans, motor press and public were giving up on BMW design). No doubt there will be another Karim Habib and BMW's design flag will wave again. The F87 CS will be the car that goes down as the one that held the torch through the night.
Very very well said!

Bringing up the 1M, CSL or other rare models wasn't to compare them to each other, but as a new entry to the ranks of the special cars.

There are a few 1Ms in my area and my head is on a swivel every time I see one go by.

The CS has something.. special.. its like 1 + 1 + 1 = 4 when driving it. Its easy to point out the differences, slightly different tune, or suspension, or other slight tweaks. Its all of that added up that makes it special.

Its still a car.. will have its leaks, foibles and issues.. but there is some design magic in it for sure.
'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread
Appreciate 4
Jimjamz4565.00
Hedoniste3820.50
Bimmed Out1908.50
Reedomn678.00
      01-03-2021, 07:53 AM   #47
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Quick math:

2200 X $25k = $55m (I think)
Reedomn678.00
      01-03-2021, 08:07 AM   #48
Bimmed Out
There Is No Substitute
Rep
Drives: Several 911's

Quote:
The car is great but the price is ridiculous. I just picked up a barely used GT3 for similiar money.
Sure, because you bought someone else's 991.1 GT3. To each his own, but the 991.1 GT3 was the only iteration that was an easy pass for me...and that was before the engines started catching fire. Based on how the 991.1 GT3 has done, it appears I'm not the only one who took a pass. It has already dropped to to 997 values and the trajectory continues to point down. Lots of M2 CS buyers could have easily chosen a used 991.1 GT3 ... and yet here we all are. With this said, I hope you enjoy your new (to you) ride!
Appreciate 2
Reedomn678.00
      01-03-2021, 08:08 AM   #49
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, X5 45e, i3, Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBimmeRad View Post
Quick math:

I went through this a bit on a different thread, the manufacturer itself probably only sees a percentage of that. Dealer and distribution take a bunch.

Then you have to figure in development costs etc. Safety certification etc cost quite a bit. Shipping it with the front splitter and diffuser on it instead of as PIA makes a difference and they have to recertify. There were hold ups on US cars for EPA paperwork as well, all things that cost money to do too. Just the tooling alone for the carbon roof and tunnel which is unique and likely in millions of dollars. Add in marketing budget etc...

I'd assume it was net positive, but it isn't unheard of at all for them to be negative. I'd wager more like 5-10M. Projects/cars like this are much more about the marketing ROI than the actual sales value.
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 3
      01-03-2021, 08:19 AM   #50
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz View Post
Quote:
What makes for a future classic is hugely enthusiastic fans and a beautifully engineered and designed car. Every classic has a narrative. The 1M narrative as a parts bin skunkworks is compelling. The F87 CS narrative is that it was purpose engineered to be the best of the best with nothing given to the M3 and at a time when BMW was losing its design mojo (BMW's first time EVO COTY just as fans, motor press and public were giving up on BMW design). No doubt there will be another Karim Habib and BMW's design flag will wave again. The F87 CS will be the car that goes down as the one that held the torch during the night.
Could not agree with you more, fans; bang on!

Every legendary story has its alluring core premise captivating the fans for generations on.

Ford GT in the late 60s was by all means not a great piece of machinery in many ways but Shelby and Miles made it an epic story which will outlive time itself.

1M is one of those freaks of ingenuity; for sure, no debates there. It's a great story sure, but it isn't the only car with a story.

I've lived in an era where we came from having to pay extra for rear seatbelts, to witnessing some of the most amazing cars made over the last four decades or more. But I have not yet seen the level of enthusiasm for a car as much as I have the M2CS, enthusiasm that's driven not by the story attached to the car, but the richness and epic character that M2CS screams from miles away.

different horses, different courses, same pleasure
Jimjamz4565.00
      01-03-2021, 08:23 AM   #51
kyrocks
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmed Out View Post
Quote:
The car is great but the price is ridiculous. I just picked up a barely used GT3 for similiar money.
Sure, because you bought someone else's 991.1 GT3. To each his own, but the 991.1 GT3 was the only iteration that was an easy pass for me...and that was before the engines started catching fire. Based on how the 991.1 GT3 has done, it appears I'm not the only one who took a pass. It has already dropped to to 997 values and the trajectory continues to point down. Lots of M2 CS buyers could have easily chosen a used 991.1 GT3 ... and yet here we all are. With this said, I hope you enjoy your new (to you) ride!
Can you show me a 991 GT3 for $85k?
Appreciate 2
Bimmed Out1908.50
Reedomn678.00
      01-03-2021, 08:30 AM   #52
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhotwn View Post
Quote:
Quick math:

I went through this a bit on a different thread, the manufacturer itself probably only sees a percentage of that. Dealer and distribution take a bunch.

Then you have to figure in development costs etc. Safety certification etc cost quite a bit. Shipping it with the front splitter and diffuser on it instead of as PIA makes a difference and they have to recertify. There were hold ups on US cars for EPA paperwork as well, all things that cost money to do too. Just the tooling alone for the carbon roof and tunnel which is unique and likely in millions of dollars. Add in marketing budget etc...

I'd assume it was net positive, but it isn't unheard of at all for them to be negative. I'd wager more like 5-10M. Projects/cars like this are much more about the marketing ROI than the actual sales value.
You're totally right.

Look at LFA; they lost packet loads of money for every single car they sold. Lexus loved the car and prided themselves in their creation.

I suspect the motivation behind this iteration of the F87 Empire, would not have been just dollars.

It's easy to replay every commentary by Masters of the BMW Universe many of whom are on record saying how M2CS is their favourite car of recent era. I think there's more to this car than meets the eye just yet.

The truth is out there
Reedomn678.00
Jimjamz4565.00
      01-03-2021, 11:51 AM   #53
lnwlf7
Enlisted Member
Monaco
Rep
Drives: M3 E90 JB 6MT, M2 MG DCT, 525d

Garage List
2002 BMW 525i  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine* View Post
Lol no, the prices here made buying one GTS ridiculously expensive.
we have 3 GTS's listed in switzerland mint condition for 100k US dolars.
(i think US imports but however)

I think taxes kill the deals in Oceania right?
Appreciate 1
Reedomn678.00
      01-03-2021, 12:25 PM   #54
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
It's easy to replay every commentary by Masters of the BMW Universe many of whom are on record saying how M2CS is their favourite car of recent era. I think there's more to this car than meets the eye just yet.

The truth is out there
One interesting thing to note is that in past eras, “motoring press” referred to magazines, most of which are not accessible to the everyday person. A bigger and bigger percentage of that industry now resides on YouTube, a platform that I’d assume will continue to be available and archived over the next 25 years or so. I can’t just check out old reviews of an E46. I know it was generally well received, but nothing specific. However I bet that 15+ years from now, I’ll still be able to watch old M2 reviews on the internet for free.

Generally speaking, I think the M2 was already an old school car when it came out. Assuming it really is one of the last cars of its type, nostalgia should be pretty high for the model in general. I have a hard time believing the ultra rare, high performance edition of a very well received machine that was already tugging at everyone’s nostalgia strings will do anything but really well in the collector market.

It’s also important to remember that the M2 comp and by extension CS have their own cool origin story involving European emission laws and the N55/S55 engines. BMW clearly didn’t want the car to eclipse the M4 but were then essentially forced by law to do the thing they didn’t want to do and gave the car the same drivetrain as the M4. Us M2 comp guys still got a detuned engine, but you CS guys didn’t. Very unique situation/origin story.
Appreciate 5
Reedomn678.00
Jimjamz4565.00
Bokke573.50
      01-03-2021, 02:27 PM   #55
mbanck
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 320ci, BMW F34 330dx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
One interesting thing to note is that in past eras, “motoring press” referred to magazines, most of which are not accessible to the everyday person. A bigger and bigger percentage of that industry now resides on YouTube, a platform that I’d assume will continue to be available and archived over the next 25 years or so.
That's a good one, are you familiar with https://killedbygoogle.com/?

As long as youtube generated revenue it's safe of course, but as soon as it doesn't anymore...
Appreciate 1
Reedomn678.00
      01-03-2021, 05:59 PM   #56
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnwlf7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine* View Post
Lol no, the prices here made buying one GTS ridiculously expensive.
we have 3 GTS's listed in switzerland mint condition for 100k US dolars.
(i think US imports but however)

I think taxes kill the deals in Oceania right?

In Australia you pay taxes for luxury cars advice other taxes
  • Import Duty - varies but around 5%
    GST - Goods & Services Tax - 10%
    LCT - Luxury Car Tax - 33% (after the above two races are levied)
    SD - Stamp duty - State tax - varied from state to state. it starts at 4% and goes up to (I think) 10% depending on the price of the car
    Registration and CTP insurance - Based on engine size - 6-cyl usually around $1000

The enclosed image should give you an idea

The M2CS base model in US starts around $83k - here it starts at $140k (exchange rate: USD$0.77 = AUD$1).

By the time it's registered and ready to drive off with, it's likely to have cost close to $155k which would be around USD$120
Attached Images

Reedomn678.00
      01-03-2021, 06:29 PM   #57
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanck View Post
That's a good one, are you familiar with https://killedbygoogle.com/?

As long as youtube generated revenue it's safe of course, but as soon as it doesn't anymore...
Hahah fair enough. I’d bet on it being around for at least another 15-20 years, and I’d expect videos to still be archived beyond that, but who’s to say how accessible they’ll be (or even if I’m right.)

Only time will tell of course.
Appreciate 1
Reedomn678.00
      02-14-2021, 08:52 PM   #58
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
I heard BMW Seattle was down to their last CS a week ago, (could be gone already) with no more available.

If you are thinking about getting one, time is running out.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 08:58 PM   #59
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Just the worst sound ever for such a wonderful car. Biggest ball-drop aside from not producing the E46 CSL in 6MT.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 04:57 AM   #60
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Just the worst sound ever for such a wonderful car. Biggest ball-drop aside from not producing the E46 CSL in 6MT.
Car sounds amazing.
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2021, 06:36 AM   #61
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Car sounds amazing.
I think it sounds good, albeit a bit too quiet. I'm glad it's not raspy like my E46 M3 was and even my F80 Comp when it's cold. The rasp in the F80 seems to go away once it warms up.

The CS definitely sounds better being pushed on the road than just revving it in the parking lot. I've watched at least a dozen YouTube reviews and the exhaust seems to be the most common letdown about the CS. However most say it's nowhere near a dealbreaker and the ones that do, agree that an easy after market exhaust will put that worry to bed.

I don't think I'll upgrade my exhaust, at least not for a few years.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 09:10 AM   #62
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Yeah yeah yeah.. I have heard (restrospectively) all the criticism of the 1M's (as unplanned bolted together and not that great) but I still want one.

Same thing here.. I wish I could pick up this CS as I know I am going to regret not owning one.
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2021, 09:20 AM   #63
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW DIY Guy View Post
Yeah yeah yeah.. I have heard (restrospectively) all the criticism of the 1M's (as unplanned bolted together and not that great) but I still want one.

Same thing here.. I wish I could pick up this CS as I know I am going to regret not owning one.
“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.” Albert Einstein
f80_MG562.50
      02-16-2021, 09:22 AM   #64
Bokke
Major
Rep
Drives: E90M3/991.2GT3/G82M4CSL/9YOTGT

one of my biggest "car" mistakes was not buying a used 1M I stumbled accross at a VW dealers because it was priced at $60k dollars - nuts to pay over msrp for a used car. Duh!!

on the other hand, my "best" decision was dumping my M4GTS with 57 miles for $140,000 and making money!
23 G82 ///M4CSL | AW | Race Buckets |
24 9YO Cayenne TGT | QGM| Burgundy | Neodyne / PCCB
Appreciate 3
mfarrzhp1491.00
      02-16-2021, 09:25 AM   #65
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokke View Post
one of my biggest "car" mistakes was not buying a used 1M I stumbled accross at a VW dealers because it was priced at $60k dollars - nuts to pay over msrp for a used car. Duh!!

on the other hand, my "best" decision was dumping my M4GTS with 57 miles for $140,000 and making money!
You probably are the only soul on the planet who made money on the M4GTS; I bow to you

Bokke573.50
      02-16-2021, 09:33 AM   #66
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokke View Post

Back in 2014-2015, I found a used 1M with 34K miles for about $48K. I offered $46K, and walked away when they said no. It still pains me to this day, so I didn't even ask for a lower price on the CS.

Nice move on the GTS!
Appreciate 2