BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > CS PPF Poll

View Poll Results: How will you use your CS and what PPF coverage will you have?
Daily/Track: No Coverage 20 14.18%
Daily/Track: Bumper Only 3 2.13%
Daily/Track: Full Front (Bumper, Fenders, Hood, Mirrors, etc) 33 23.40%
Daily/Track: Full Car 27 19.15%
Garage Queen: No Coverage 9 6.38%
Garage Queen: Bumper Only 2 1.42%
Garage Queen: Full Front (Bumper, Fenders, Hood, Mirrors, etc) 18 12.77%
Garage Queen: Full Car 29 20.57%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

01-24-2021, 07:35 AM   #111
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post

Still really glad I got my PPF, but I think I worry about the PPF and ceramic just as much as the paint. So no real feeling of relief from a surface care perspective. Definitely feels good knowing that my car won't get chips though and that the paint stays looking good.
If it gets damaged in any way, there is a good chance your paint underneath is still perfect. Replace the damaged PPF and good as new. You can drive worry free.....as long as you don't worry about your bank account being a little lighter from the ppf investement that is
      01-24-2021, 08:26 AM   #112
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

First bath yesterday after PPF and ceramic. It was nice to have the PPF when I learned the unfortunate way that one of my wiper blades was not clicked on. It blew off and landed on the hood while I was drying the car. No marks left behind. Paint chips on this car would stick out like a sore thumb. Glad I got everything covered right from the start.

I'm learning new things about myself. Paint marrings bother me more than I thought they would. Dirty wheels bother me less. A dirty car bothers me less than I thought it would.

Leaf blower for drying is fantastic. Really trimmed my dry time. I can now jump from 5min of blower to detail spray. I used to pat dry the car in sections. You can buy large drying cloths, but it was really taxing on my back by the time I washed, dried, and detailed. Cutting out a step was noticeable.

It was almost frustrating at the beginning of the wash because the presoak and soap didn't want to adhere to the car. My goal is to get back to more frequent, but quick rinseless washes in the garage, but do the wheels outside.

Anyone run across a drying device like a wheel woolie? If I had something like that I could probably do the wheels inside too.

Sorry for the off topic direction. I thought about putting in the detail section, but a lot of us in this thread are probably thinking about a lot of the same things right now.
Appreciate 1
ptgltw3771.00
      01-24-2021, 01:47 PM   #113
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i | M2 CS | X5 35i

medphysdave Leaf blower? Oh no. Get yourself a proper MetroVac please!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 02:20 PM   #114
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomoM3 View Post
I didn't like the metro vac. Or the other ones on wheels that get plugged in and pulled around. And I needed a new leaf blower .

Ego 650cfm works great. I read lots pros cons etc and got a demo of the metro vac. The only pro to the metro vac was more control of air into the crevices. I get the door jams, trunk, and hood jams quickly with a drying cloths. The maneuvering of the metro vac, cord, and vac hose was a nuisance to me. The pros of the metro are being able to use it in a small garage because of smaller air stream, but it didn't outweigh the difficulty of moving the device around. If someone has the space to mount the MV on the wall and get a longer blower hose, then it becomes more workable in a small space.

Last edited by medphysdave; 01-24-2021 at 02:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 06:48 PM   #115
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

It was almost frustrating at the beginning of the wash because the presoak and soap didn't want to adhere to the car. My goal is to get back to more frequent, but quick rinseless washes in the garage, but do the wheels outside.

Anyone run across a drying device like a wheel woolie? If I had something like that I could probably do the wheels inside too.
What do you use for a pre soak? I use American Detailer rinseless wash. I let it soak in while I do the wheels then rinse it off with the hose and use a pumper to lay down the foam (soap).

By the time I get to the IK 1.5 Foam pumper there really isn't much dirt left. Its more for lubricant than anything else.

I'm currently going thru a trial of about 7 different drying towels but I doubt any will beat my go to drying towel, the Gtechniq MF4 Diamond Sandwich Microfiber towel. It's simply amazing.

If you have a bad back, why would you want to hold a leaf blower when you can hold a 30 foot hose. I used a leaf blower years ago but found it hard on my back and shoulders. Also I didn't like having a hard plastic tube close to my paint. I found that a bit un nerving if I lost concentration.

So with the Metro Vac, I take off the nozzle because that kind of concentrated power just isn't necessary with a ceramic coated car.

And if anything it can cause damage to the PPF. The power coming out of the hose itself will fling the water off the surface and from the nooks and crannies.

My car comes back from PPF this week just in time for the snow to fly in Maryland. This weather is putting a damper on my break in mile accumulation.
      01-24-2021, 07:00 PM   #116
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgltw View Post
What do you use for a pre soak? I use American Detailer rinseless wash. I let it soak in while I do the wheels then rinse it off with the hose and use a pumper to lay down the foam (soap).

By the time I get to the IK 1.5 Foam pumper there really isn't much dirt left. Its more for lubricant than anything else.

I'm currently going thru a trial of about 7 different drying towels but I doubt any will beat my go to drying towel, the Gtechniq MF4 Diamond Sandwich Microfiber towel. It's simply amazing.

If you have a bad back, why would you want to hold a leaf blower when you can hold a 30 foot hose. I used a leaf blower years ago but found it hard on my back and shoulders. Also I didn't like having a hard plastic tube close to my paint. I found that a bit un nerving if I lost concentration.

So with the Metro Vac, I take off the nozzle because that kind of concentrated power just isn't necessary with a ceramic coated car.

And if anything it can cause damage to the PPF. The power coming out of the hose itself will fling the water off the surface and from the nooks and crannies.

My car comes back from PPF this week just in time for the snow to fly in Maryland. This weather is putting a damper on my break in mile accumulation.
I rinse with the pressure washer, soak with meguiars gold wash, rinse, soap again with maguiars gold, and then do a multi bucket wash with Wolfgang rinseless in the bucket.

If just going rinseless I've got a spray bottle with wolfgang rinseless mixed in a detail spray concentration, then two bucket method with wolfgang rinseless. Both get followed up with the detail spray. I forget the name of my towels. I like them. Synthetic fiber with long nap. Absorb like crazy and super soft. I haven't tried the ones that came from carpro with my kit.

Leaf blower allowed me to stand upright vs the pat dry method. I like the leaf blower. Lightweight and super quick. I know I'd end up dragging one of those rolling blowers right into my car. I'm by no means advocating that a leaf blower is best, but sharing that it works for me. Was also great on the x5.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 08:09 PM   #117
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I rinse with the pressure washer, soak with meguiars gold wash, rinse, soap again with maguiars gold, and then do a multi bucket wash with Wolfgang rinseless in the bucket.

If just going rinseless I've got a spray bottle with wolfgang rinseless mixed in a detail spray concentration, then two bucket method with wolfgang rinseless. Both get followed up with the detail spray. I forget the name of my towels. I like them. Synthetic fiber with long nap. Absorb like crazy and super soft. I haven't tried the ones that came from carpro with my kit.

Leaf blower allowed me to stand upright vs the pat dry method. I like the leaf blower. Lightweight and super quick. I know I'd end up dragging one of those rolling blowers right into my car. I'm by no means advocating that a leaf blower is best, but sharing that it works for me. Was also great on the x5.
What do you use to soak it with? Foam Cannon? Or pump sprayer?

Yes what's important is the method works for you / me or whomever. More than one way to skin a cat.

Speaking of CarPro I love their Reset soap. It's designed to work with ceramic coatings. You only need like an ounce per bucket of water. Super slick. I use the over the counter retail stuff for my daily's
      01-24-2021, 09:23 PM   #118
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What do you use to soak it with? Foam Cannon? Or pump sprayer?

Yes what's important is the method works for you / me or whomever. More than one way to skin a cat.

Speaking of CarPro I love their Reset soap. It's designed to work with ceramic coatings. You only need like an ounce per bucket of water. Super slick. I use the over the counter retail stuff for my daily's
Foam cannon. Haven't used the carpro stuff yet. Detailer said to use it once every four washes and stick to my current program.
Appreciate 1
ptgltw3771.00
      02-08-2021, 11:17 AM   #119
M2CSforthewin
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F250, X5, 328i, 228i, M2CS

Quote:
I'd base it on the installer. I don't think you can go wrong with either. Llumar Platinum Is the same as Suntek Ultra and it's what I have on mine. Suntek/Llumar does have the template for the rear diffuser, which is new for them.

Is the installer going to paint correct prior to install?
Template or custom?
If template, will they expand the template to wrap edges?
Medphysdave, do you have any more information on the Suntek/Llumar template for the diffuser? My installer doesn't see anything specific to the CS in his system. Not sure that I want to proceed with covering the diffuser as I can't imagine that it's very vulnerable, but would like to have a quote to think about.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 11:24 AM   #120
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2CSforthewin View Post
Medphysdave, do you have any more information on the Suntek/Llumar template for the diffuser? My installer doesn't see anything specific to the CS in his system. Not sure that I want to proceed with covering the diffuser as I can't imagine that it's very vulnerable, but would like to have a quote to think about.
Only that it was newly added into the system. My thought is that they added the m-performance diffuser in there somewhere. Unsure if Suntek and Llumar share templates or if as a business they do things a little different.

I can't imagine the diffuser being at any major risk with the factory udder shield in place to protect it.
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2021, 09:07 AM   #121
ROASTM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C; '06 M3; '07 JKU

Quote:
First bath yesterday after PPF and ceramic. It was nice to have the PPF when I learned the unfortunate way that one of my wiper blades was not clicked on. It blew off and landed on the hood while I was drying the car. No marks left behind. Paint chips on this car would stick out like a sore thumb. Glad I got everything covered right from the start.

I'm learning new things about myself. Paint marrings bother me more than I thought they would. Dirty wheels bother me less. A dirty car bothers me less than I thought it would.

Leaf blower for drying is fantastic. Really trimmed my dry time. I can now jump from 5min of blower to detail spray. I used to pat dry the car in sections. You can buy large drying cloths, but it was really taxing on my back by the time I washed, dried, and detailed. Cutting out a step was noticeable.

Sorry for the off topic direction. I thought about putting in the detail section, but a lot of us in this thread are probably thinking about a lot of the same things right now.
I have a nice new set of wheel woolies - think I bought them from "Detail King". My understanding is that they are all about the same and Wheel Woolies brand, but I went with the vendor that was the cheapest (those things are ridiculously expensive for what they are!). Also, while they are great, they are still a PITA to use at least on the M2C's 788m's, imagine it'll be a better tool for the 763s.

For your rinseless washes in the garage with PPF, imagine you are using ONR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomoM3 View Post
Also agree on the MetroVac - I have the SideKick and it's by far my favorite piece of detailing equipment.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 11:22 AM   #122
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROASTM View Post

Also agree on the MetroVac - I have the SideKick and it's by far my favorite piece of detailing equipment.
I always thought my metrovac was the way to go...then I see highly regarded detailers dry their own cars with leaf blowers....

I'm now a believer in leaf blowers now as well. Just need to find the right one. Maybe shorter tube? LIghtweight? Long battery?

Last edited by ptgltw; 02-09-2021 at 11:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 11:33 AM   #123
AxM2CS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E28 535i >E39 528iT >E39 540i6

Mike - I used my leaf blower after cleaning the car Sunday. I first cleaned the grime out of the snout (collects there in vacuum mode). Ours is a home depot purchase a couple years ago, nothing special. But when you take off all the hoses/extenders it's very compact and has excellent grip points for wielding at all angles and overhead. It worked well, and I was surprised how much water was blown out of the CF and other external parts (e.g., antenna) - especially from under the spoiler. Glad I got it all out of there so there is no freezing between body panel and parts, and minimal chance for debris collecting in the nooks and crannies.
Appreciate 1
ptgltw3771.00
      02-09-2021, 04:48 PM   #124
gemini.m3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive comp

I went full PPF on mine. I went extra and had the installer add a sacrificial layer of PPF on top of the first layer in the rear high impact area.

This way it’s double protection and once it’s disgusting I can just replace that versus the entire quarter panel- it’s nearly invisible too

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 06:12 PM   #125
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deceptiv.M3 View Post
I went full PPF on mine. I went extra and had the installer add a sacrificial layer of PPF on top of the first layer in the rear high impact area.

This way it’s double protection and once it’s disgusting I can just replace that versus the entire quarter panel- it’s nearly invisible too

That's a great idea for sure. What film and coating did you go with?
      02-09-2021, 07:37 PM   #126
gemini.m3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive comp

Quote:
That's a great idea for sure. What film and coating did you go with?
Xpel
Ultimate plus and gyeon I believe
Appreciate 1
ptgltw3771.00
      02-09-2021, 09:06 PM   #127
JoeMatt
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
Full PPF + Ceramic 5 year.

$7k.

Daily and tracking planned.

I also got an after-market insurance on the wheels, but I live in a toxic environment so all this is worth it for me. New York City is salt, humid heat, pot holes, high curbs, shitty asshole Parkers and vandalism.

I’d pay $20k for a force field.
CarJunkie2615.50
ROASTM162.50
      02-11-2021, 07:39 AM   #128
NYNick
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 74 tii 78 SC 20 M2CS

What parts do you guys normally PPF and at what cost? I'm getting quoted $2700 for 3M Front bumper, Hood, Roof, Mirrors, Top of back bumper, Door cups and Door Trim.
Thx
Nick
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 07:51 AM   #129
f80_MG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 ZCP MPE `17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNick View Post
What parts do you guys normally PPF and at what cost? I'm getting quoted $2700 for 3M Front bumper, Hood, Roof, Mirrors, Top of back bumper, Door cups and Door Trim.
Thx
Nick
In my experience most installers will have:

A) Track Pack or an equivalent - Complete front hood, complete front fenders, mirrors, front bumper, A-pillar and leading section of roof, rocker panels, +/- rear wheel arches - ranging from 2k to 3k

B) Full car - anywhere from 4.5k to 7k (depending on where in the country you are)

These have been the prices I have seen for Xpel Ultimate Plus, midwest and NE.

Of course you can customize it to whatever areas you want, if not getting the full car and adjust price accordingly.
Appreciate 1
MomoM3981.00
      02-11-2021, 07:59 AM   #130
eric giles
Private
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNick View Post
Thx
Nick
I had the XPEL Ultimate Plus PPF on the full front....bumper, fenders, hood, roof, mirrors, A pillars, top of rear bumper, door cups and edges for $2295. They also installed XPEL ceramic 30% window tint for an additional $200, which was discounted somewhat due to me having the PPF done, as well as having him do my friends M2 CS at the same time. So $2495 total, with window tint.

In addition, the detailer they work in conjunction with next door is doing a full ceramic coating using Angelwax Genesis for $600. Luckily, I needed no paint correction so the price was less.
      02-11-2021, 09:18 AM   #131
ROASTM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C; '06 M3; '07 JKU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
Yeah there is so may shops in NJ, its tough to figure out who's good without anedoctes or yelp reviews.
While, not sure how close you are in NJ - but if I was anywhere near Detailer's Domain, that's the place I'd undoubtedly take it.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 01:25 PM   #132
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f80_MG View Post

B) Full car - anywhere from 4.5k to 7k (depending on where in the country you are)

These have been the prices I have seen for Xpel Ultimate Plus, midwest and NE.
I paid $8500 for full custom wrap. That's take apart and wrap edges where possible. Door handles, lights, side trim, markers, rear quarter glass trim.

Coating and Single Stage correction was another $2000

Windows and windshield another $1200

Wheel coating $500

Plus misc stuff I had them do. About $14k all in