BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > CS PPF Poll

View Poll Results: How will you use your CS and what PPF coverage will you have?
Daily/Track: No Coverage 20 14.18%
Daily/Track: Bumper Only 3 2.13%
Daily/Track: Full Front (Bumper, Fenders, Hood, Mirrors, etc) 33 23.40%
Daily/Track: Full Car 27 19.15%
Garage Queen: No Coverage 9 6.38%
Garage Queen: Bumper Only 2 1.42%
Garage Queen: Full Front (Bumper, Fenders, Hood, Mirrors, etc) 18 12.77%
Garage Queen: Full Car 29 20.57%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

01-16-2021, 07:54 PM   #89
f80_MG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 ZCP MPE `17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgltw View Post
Apparently it needs to be wetsanded off. I don't blame you for not getting it applied directly onto paint surfaces. An expert wet sander isn't easy to find.
Thank you. Was really hoping my information was incorrect.
Not planning on full PPF, will just stick to CSL then.
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2021, 07:44 AM   #90
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M's

And here we have
Attached Images

MomoM3987.00
2taCoS279.00
Davil6524.50
      01-21-2021, 10:59 AM   #91
AxM2CS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E28 535i >E39 528iT >E39 540i6

lmao! Those mitts looks safe for buffing the beamer .. wonder what Bernie's going rate is
Appreciate 1
ptgltw3777.50
      01-21-2021, 11:59 AM   #92
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxM2CS View Post
lmao! Those mitts looks safe for buffing the beamer .. wonder what Bernie's going rate is
Lol. I just left our cars. I didn’t know you were doing a Matte wrap (Xpel stealth) on yours kidding

We are looking good!
      01-21-2021, 02:20 PM   #93
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Final question for everyone here on PPF? Which is considered better, Suntek Ultra or XPEL, especially for Black Sapphire Metallic.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 02:31 PM   #94
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
Final question for everyone here on PPF? Which is considered better, Suntek Ultra or XPEL, especially for Black Sapphire Metallic.
I'd base it on the installer. I don't think you can go wrong with either. Llumar Platinum Is the same as Suntek Ultra and it's what I have on mine. Suntek/Llumar does have the template for the rear diffuser, which is new for them.

Is the installer going to paint correct prior to install?
Template or custom?
If template, will they expand the template to wrap edges?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 02:45 PM   #95
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Xpel ultimate is best film period. People who install Suntek only do so because they can't get Xpel accounts because of territory rights....(oh I just started something, sorry).

Seriously thou. You find the installer then use what they know how to lay down. Like Dave said, template or custom or enlarged template etc..

My guy takes off everything and ppf's under it. Door handles, spoiler, mirrors, side badges, rear badges, hood inset, taillights, etc..no cut arounds here. I pay a premium for it thou.

Most places are used to installing one brand of film and that's what they know. I would never ask my guy to install a film her isn't familiar with as a lot can go wrong. So I say find the installer first, then lay down whatever he suggests. This is like an oil question, what oil to use...however it really doesn't matter what tech changes your oil...here it does matter.

Look on Xpel sight and find an installer in your area then ask him if they do custom or templates etc... I'm paying about $9000 for my full wrap + Paint correction + Ceramic Coating + Window Tint + side skirt install + Front side marker Delete + rear marker delete + Sliplo install. I'll be working to pay this bill off for a long time! This car isn't going anywhere. I'll let one of my E30 M3's go before this one. Everyone needs a modern classic in their garage.

Hope that helps.
ScullyD5165.50
      01-21-2021, 03:01 PM   #96
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Quote:
Xpel ultimate is best film period. People who install Suntek only do so because they can't get Xpel accounts because of territory rights....(oh I just started something, sorry).

Seriously thou. You find the installer then use what they know how to lay down. Like Dave said, template or custom or enlarged template etc..

My guy takes off everything and ppf's under it. Door handles, spoiler, mirrors, side badges, rear badges, hood inset, taillights, etc..no cut arounds here. I pay a premium for it thou.

Most places are used to installing one brand of film and that's what they know. I would never ask my guy to install a film her isn't familiar with as a lot can go wrong. So I say find the installer first, then lay down whatever he suggests. This is like an oil question, what oil to use...however it really doesn't matter what tech changes your oil...here it does matter.

Look on Xpel sight and find an installer in your area then ask him if they do custom or templates etc... I'm paying about $9000 for my full wrap + Paint correction + Ceramic Coating + Window Tint + side skirt install + Front side marker Delete + rear marker delete + Sliplo install. I'll be working to pay this bill off for a long time! This car isn't going anywhere. I'll let one of my E30 M3's go before this one. Everyone needs a modern classic in their garage.

Hope that helps.
Thanks, yeah i have a shop in NJ that i've worked with before in Mahwah called Eurotech that does Xpel for alot of high end cars (Ferraris, Lambos, etc) and have done M2's before also. I stored my winter tires with them for a while and trust the quality of cars i see with them. Not sure if anyone else can vouch for them on here who's from NJ. I just pushed my appointment back to Feb 15 cause of snow.

I think my whole hesistancy here has been that i remember hearing about a bad batch of Xpel years back that ruined people's paint and yellowed the cars.
Appreciate 1
M3R12168.50
      01-21-2021, 03:14 PM   #97
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, yeah i have a shop in NJ that i've worked with before in Mahwah called Eurotech that does Xpel for alot of high end cars (Ferraris, Lambos, etc) and have done M2's before also. I stored my winter tires with them for a while and trust the quality of cars i see with them. Not sure if anyone else can vouch for them on here who's from NJ. I just pushed my appointment back to Feb 15 cause of snow.

I think my whole hesistancy here has been that i remember hearing about a bad batch of Xpel years back that ruined people's paint and yellowed the cars.
Xpel has changed also. When I did my 993 Widebody 5 years ago they didn't have the plus and while it was good, it wasn't as good as the plus is today. It had more orange peel. That's the only knock on Xpel I hear today. No one says it yellows over time. Other compliments I hear about the other films are more clear...the negatives I hear are yellows over time.

I've only had Xpel ultimate and ultimate plus so I can't vouch for the others.

You should have many shops within a 30 mile drive of your home living around that area.
      01-21-2021, 03:25 PM   #98
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Quote:
Xpel has changed also. When I did my 993 Widebody 5 years ago they didn't have the plus and while it was good, it wasn't as good as the plus is today. It had more orange peel. That's the only knock on Xpel I hear today. No one says it yellows over time. Other compliments I hear about the other films are more clear...the negatives I hear are yellows over time.

You should have many shops within a 30 mile drive of your home living around that area.
Yeah there is so may shops in NJ, its tough to figure out who's good without anedoctes or yelp reviews.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 05:05 PM   #99
DealMan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Quote:
I have had multiple black vehicles (and now my HSM M2 CS) with SunTek PPF, and IMHO the clarity is superior to XPEL. My installers have access to both manufacturers, so they will install either.
      01-21-2021, 05:19 PM   #100
AxM2CS
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Lol. I just left our cars. I didn’t know you were doing a Matte wrap (Xpel stealth) on yours kidding

We are looking good!
DON'T scare me like that!! Stealth looks very cool (recall someone in Euro-land did it with an MB CS), but def not what I'm going for with this car.

Hope he's figuring everything out on your car, and putting that newfound knowledge to work on mine
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 05:30 PM   #101
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
DON'T scare me like that!! Stealth looks very cool (recall someone in Euro-land did it with an MB CS), but def not what I'm going for with this car.

Hope he's figuring everything out on your car, and putting that newfound knowledge to work on mine
That was funny
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 08:26 PM   #102
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
A good question. I know you have BSM and I've heard it matters less there. For those with HS or AW I've heard XPEL doesn't yellow over 5-10 years unlike other wraps.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 01:18 AM   #103
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i | M2 CS | X5 35i

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah there is so may shops in NJ, its tough to figure out who's good without anedoctes or yelp reviews.
I like DetailersDomain's work so much I'm shipping my M2 CS to them from 100 miles west. They're up in Bergen County NJ. Mine might be the 3rd CS in his queue at the moment. I will have done 3 cars with them. Highly recommend.
Appreciate 1
M3R12168.50
      01-22-2021, 05:52 AM   #104
eric giles
Private
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C

I've got an appointment with my local Xpel dealer for a full front and roof/A pillar PPF installation on February 2nd. He states he only uses Xpel's best film with the 10 year warranty. I initially balked at the cost before I picked up the car and decided I didn't need it....but now I'm so worried about a rock chip or similar that I haven't driven it in a week. So hopefully this will take away the anxiety when I drive it...so that I can enjoy it.

I'm also having him lightly tint the windows with Xpel window tint.
Appreciate 1
MomoM3987.00
      01-22-2021, 08:41 AM   #105
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric giles View Post
I've got an appointment with my local Xpel dealer for a full front and roof/A pillar PPF installation on February 2nd. He states he only uses Xpel's best film with the 10 year warranty. I initially balked at the cost before I picked up the car and decided I didn't need it....but now I'm so worried about a rock chip or similar that I haven't driven it in a week. So hopefully this will take away the anxiety when I drive it...so that I can enjoy it.

I'm also having him lightly tint the windows with Xpel window tint.
Which Xpel window tint? If you live in the south you might want to get the Prime Plus. Blocks out a lot of heat.
      01-22-2021, 08:42 AM   #106
eric giles
Private
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C

Quote:
Which Xpel window tint? If you live in the south you might want to get the Prime Plus. Blocks out a lot of heat.
It is Prime Plus.
      01-22-2021, 06:15 PM   #107
DealMan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Another consideration when specifying PPF variant is whether it can be corrected/polished when scratches/swirls appear, which is a risk even with 'self-healing' film. As an example, I did not select SunTek Ultra (longer warranty and newest) because the detailer indicated it can't be corrected like 'regular' SunTek. This is likely due to the extra layer of coating in the PPF. The equivalent is XPEL Ultimate Plus. A competent detailer can correct/polish PPF that doesn't have the extra layer, but it seems the newer variants (that have longer warranties) require replacement pieces if the PPF is marred.
      01-23-2021, 02:37 PM   #108
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Super impressed with the ceramic coated wheels. Pic before rinse, and after rinse with pressure washer. Nothing applied to wheel.

Appreciate 3
MomoM3987.00
ptgltw3777.50
cncmastr1590.00
      01-23-2021, 07:00 PM   #109
AxM2CS
Lieutenant
Rep

Looking forward to those easy-clean wheels! It's gonna be like receiving the M2CS all over again for me .. been without it 9 days now and scheduled to pick it up from PPF/ceramic/tint - everything next Tues or Wed. Will have been gone longer than I had it before dropping it off.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 08:00 PM   #110
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Looking forward to those easy-clean wheels! It's gonna be like receiving the M2CS all over again for me .. been without it 9 days now and scheduled to pick it up from PPF/ceramic/tint - everything next Tues or Wed. Will have been gone longer than I had it before dropping it off.
My wife asked me after I was done if I thought that the CCB option would have saved me more time. Honestly, no. I would have still washed the entire wheel with the woolies since they would still have dirt on them from the road. The CCB will keep your wheels from going dark though. The dust bothers me far less than I thought it would. Ceramic is a must for me. It was sooooo easy to clean.

Still really glad I got my PPF, but I think I worry about the PPF and ceramic just as much as the paint. So no real feeling of relief from a surface care perspective. Definitely feels good knowing that my car won't get chips though and that the paint stays looking good.

Certainly shiny and reflective. Don't worry, I cleaned up those few water spots.

Last edited by medphysdave; 01-23-2021 at 08:05 PM..
Appreciate 0