BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > CS PPF Poll

View Poll Results: How will you use your CS and what PPF coverage will you have?
Daily/Track: No Coverage 20 14.18%
Daily/Track: Bumper Only 3 2.13%
Daily/Track: Full Front (Bumper, Fenders, Hood, Mirrors, etc) 33 23.40%
Daily/Track: Full Car 27 19.15%
Garage Queen: No Coverage 9 6.38%
Garage Queen: Bumper Only 2 1.42%
Garage Queen: Full Front (Bumper, Fenders, Hood, Mirrors, etc) 18 12.77%
Garage Queen: Full Car 29 20.57%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

12-20-2020, 10:15 AM   #23
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i | M2 CS | X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Anyone get xpel done through dealership? Curious if there is a cost savings? I noticed it was an option, but did not inquire because I already have something planned.
My dealer offers XPEL PPF packages at very similar pricing to my detailer. I will opt, of course, to take my car to the detailer per usual.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 12:12 PM   #24
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomoM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Anyone get xpel done through dealership? Curious if there is a cost savings? I noticed it was an option, but did not inquire because I already have something planned.
My dealer offers XPEL PPF packages at very similar pricing to my detailer. I will opt, of course, to take my car to the detailer per usual.
I'd do the same regardless of cost. In my experience a detailer who lives and breathes by the reputation of their detailing work and shares it online always provides better quality and value than a dealer when it comes to wrapping, ceramic coating etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 02:15 PM   #25
jlee
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2CS+GTS Targa+RRS SVR

If anyone is ever debating whether to get it, I get scrapes and dings constantly from parking lots. Here is my latest one in a public garage, someone turned into my car and rubbed my bumper.

We took the PPF straight off and reapplied a new one. Good as new.

I get stuff like this on all my cars at some point in their stay with me so I PPF all every single one..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 08:19 PM   #26
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
I voted "Garage Queen: Full Front (Bumper, Fenders, Hood, Mirrors, etc.) " which is a bit of an oxymoron, as if a garage queen then by definition there isn't much driving anticipated. In my case however, I plan to drive her in between some of the other sisters in the stable for the better part of 3 seasons annually, so not a daily, but also don't plan on wrapping her in a bubble, hence not a true 'garage queen' either. In spring time there are still a lot of pebbles on the B-roads which I frequent for spirited drives (as the counties use small river rock vs salt - case of pick your poison) and very easy to get road rash just driving behind someone.

I just did a full PPF on my RS6 this past week (down to stripping all the emblems and double-layers on high impact areas so I can replace those without pulling the film on the entire panel). I went all out as she is definitely a 4-season car, plus being an Audi Exclusive color that pushed me over the ledge...
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 10:04 AM   #27
TCBavarian
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M, M2CS, E46 ZHP, E53 X5

Was at my local PPF place and this customer car just got finished up. Full wrap. He said it was a local guy that bought it from a dealer in WI. Anyone here?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 11:18 AM   #28
sfade
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Don't have CS just the C, but same applies. I just PPF'd the bumper as it will be all chipped if I didn't. Whole car is a bit of money. If my car was over $80k i would consider a small percent to PPF. Bought mine for $55K so $550 seemed worth. I am doing my own high quality ceramic coat on the whole car soon. Lastly, it is sacrificial and many forget that. 5-10yrs and it will have to come off and be reapplied. You could spend maybe $10k in 6-7yrs for film. A new custom paint job might be the better route?? Also, the more PPF the more edges/seems that must be cleaned to keep dirt build up and the seamless look alive. All a matter of money really. I've seen custom wraps, wheels, seats, turbos total cost be more than the actual cars value just as I've seen M2s with enough parts on them to be GT3 or R8 money. Some just love to spend money on their hobbies regardless of fiscal sense.
Appreciate 2
ptgltw3777.50
      12-23-2020, 12:02 PM   #29
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfade View Post
Don't have CS just the C, but same applies. I just PPF'd the bumper as it will be all chipped if I didn't. Whole car is a bit of money. If my car was over $80k i would consider a small percent to PPF. Bought mine for $55K so $550 seemed worth. I am doing my own high quality ceramic coat on the whole car soon. Lastly, it is sacrificial and many forget that. 5-10yrs and it will have to come off and be reapplied. You could spend maybe $10k in 6-7yrs for film. A new custom paint job might be the better route?? Also, the more PPF the more edges/seems that must be cleaned to keep dirt build up and the seamless look alive. All a matter of money really. I've seen custom wraps, wheels, seats, turbos total cost be more than the actual cars value just as I've seen M2s with enough parts on them to be GT3 or R8 money. Some just love to spend money on their hobbies regardless of fiscal sense.
I think it's possible to spend too much on paint protection, however, I'm in the camp that a respray is a last resort proposition. I can tell when a car has been repainted and collectors prefer original paint. Sometimes there is no choice though.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 04:15 PM   #30
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 01 M5, 23 X5 45e

I also voted garage queen-no coverage. I've decided to do full front and roof as I plan to drive more and don't want to worry about rock chips every time I go for a drive.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 04:25 PM   #31
QM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS 6MT

I've asked this question in another thread but now realize I should have asked here. Does the front splitter need to come off for PPF to be applied to it?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 04:33 PM   #32
kyrocks
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by QM View Post
I've asked this question in another thread but now realize I should have asked here. Does the front splitter need to come off for PPF to be applied to it?
This is what I replied on the other thread:

On my M2 CS, I had the front splitter done too. Did not need to come off car. I would recommend that no one takes it off since it's both screwed and glued to the front bumper. Screws are fine but the BMW glue is strong and you can break/damage your front bumper by taking it off.

I added the M performance carbon front splitter to my HS M2C and put it on myself. I used the supplied hardware and instead of the BMW glue I used 3M double sided tape in case I ever wanted to take it off. The factory and port use the glue and not the double sided tape.
Appreciate 2
QM287.00
      12-23-2020, 05:18 PM   #33
ohnnyj
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

I'm debating whether or not to go with Xpel Stealth.
Anyone know if ceramic coating for a matte wrap would introduce shine?
Is ceramic really necessary with a full wrap? What does it add?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 10:47 AM   #34
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Lightbulb

Back to the shop to upgrade from front ppf to full car PPF and my CS found a friend.

QM287.00
Davil6523.00
      01-04-2021, 10:54 PM   #35
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I need to change my vote as I have had a change of heart. I just completed a full PPF on my RS6 as it is a 'daily' and was planning to do a high-impact / partial PPF on the M2 CS, but got reminded driving it off the lot that these Cup 2s literally pick up everything and spray it about.

Going the full PPF route now...
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 10:59 PM   #36
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX  [0.00]
Going full XPel + Ceramic on Feb 1st. For wrapping the trunk, should i get a new rear badge and have them that the only one off in order to properly wrap the trunk?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 11:21 PM   #37
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
Going full XPel + Ceramic on Feb 1st. For wrapping the trunk, should i get a new rear badge and have them that the only one off in order to properly wrap the trunk?
My recommendation is - absolutely yes - take the old badges, have them wrap the surface entirely (vs a pre-cut template that goes around the emblems). Keep your 'old ones' as garage art, and buy new ones if you want to put the emblem back.

If you are anal, the template around the emblem will bother you as you will see he edges (and over time you will always get some dust - enough to notice and annoy you). If you want to put back the emblems, and want to continue the black out theme (as there really isn't chrome on the car), you can opt for the black ones from IND.

I actually ended up liking the complete debadge look after my PPF on the Audi (as per below), and even though I got new rings and model emblem, I am not putting it back. Something to be said about a clean and smooth look IMO (which btw is what most ///M / RS / AMG cars in Europe go - full debadge mode).
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
QM287.00
      01-06-2021, 09:42 AM   #38
AxM2CS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E28 535i >E39 528iT >E39 540i6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
My recommendation is - absolutely yes - take the old badges, have them wrap the surface entirely (vs a pre-cut template that goes around the emblems). Keep your 'old ones' as garage art, and buy new ones if you want to put the emblem back.
Why replace the badges? Do they get damaged during the deinstall or reinstall?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 10:50 AM   #39
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
I wish to seek some advice from my esteemed friends here especially those from Australia

Has anyone had any dealings with Stek DynoLite PPF?

I'm told it's Korean and really Supa Doopa

I've booked my car to get the full-body treatment in Melbourne but the outlet that I've been recommended to use only uses the Stek products which I know so very little about (in fact, nothing other than what they told me)

Thanking you in advance
MBR
      01-06-2021, 11:00 AM   #40
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBimmeRad View Post
I wish to seek some advice from my esteemed friends here especially those from Australia

I've booked my car to get the full-body treatment in Melbourne but the outlet that I've been recommended to use only uses the Stek products which I know so very little about (in fact, nothing other than what they told me)

Thanking you in advance
MBR
I’m told Stek looks good for the while then you won’t be happy as it ages. Same applies for Suntek. Source? My Xpel installer. With that said all good questions to ask before spending $$
      01-06-2021, 11:10 AM   #41
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxM2CS View Post
Why replace the badges? Do they get damaged during the deinstall or reinstall?
In order to do a full wrap, i think you need to remove all badges. It will even be tough on this car to do the front with the lip splitter.

Does the Roundel on the hood and trunk need to be removed, as well as the kidney grill? I only ask, if thats the case, i may just get an IND Painted Roundel and a carbon kidney grill also.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 05:01 PM   #42
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgltw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBimmeRad View Post

Thanking you in advance
MBR
I’m told Stek looks good for the while then you won’t be happy as it ages. Same applies for Suntek. Source? My Xpel installer. With that said all good questions to ask before spending $$
Thanks for the feedback. You're absolutely right, I'll be keeping this car forever just about and doubt want to pay thousands and end up with something inferior.

I just have find the right detailer and because I'm doing it in another city I don't know anyone there as such.

Time for further investigation

many thanks
MBR
      01-06-2021, 09:55 PM   #43
AxM2CS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E28 535i >E39 528iT >E39 540i6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
In order to do a full wrap, i think you need to remove all badges. It will even be tough on this car to do the front with the lip splitter.

Does the Roundel on the hood and trunk need to be removed, as well as the kidney grill? I only ask, if thats the case, i may just get an IND Painted Roundel and a carbon kidney grill also.
I get the need for the removal and replacement (if you desire) - but wondering why not reuse the badges that were removed rather than replacing them with new ones?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 07:26 AM   #44
maxxfish
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxM2CS View Post
I get the need for the removal and replacement (if you desire) - but wondering why not reuse the badges that were removed rather than replacing them with new ones?
You can absolutely reuse badges, you need about 10 cents worth of 3M trim tape and 5 minutes of your time.
Appreciate 1