BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > New equal length AA Exhaust?

Closed Thread

01-25-2021, 08:58 PM   #419
pawelczyk7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 bmw m2 comp 6spd

wow i have agree the rice burner quote was spot on ,,,, needs to be a fix for that
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 09:01 PM   #420
MyM2See
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2C_jondagger View Post
2k rpms is hell even with resonator. Good luck
I switched to resonated EL, rasp is quiet but still there and annoying. I think the only thing thats good with EL is stock DPs.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 09:03 PM   #421
M2C_jondagger
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelczyk7 View Post
wow i have agree the rice burner quote was spot on ,,,, needs to be a fix for that
Yup, rice city now on a 70k car woopie
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 09:49 PM   #422
pawelczyk7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

this is great info for people ( like myself ) who were considering changing out the DP.. I feel bad you have to deal with this and what should of been an exciting mod ( adding some HP and Sound) turned into deciding what your next steps are ,,, good luck and keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 09:52 PM   #423
pawelczyk7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

have you tried the AA single mid pipe vs the EL ?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 10:44 PM   #424
M2C_jondagger
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Yup absolutely blows that I either take the loss/resell and go stock, or try another midpipe that may not work either now. Who knows anymore...

Most clips online show the car WOT but this is a daily driver which usually needs to be driven at moderate RPMs. For daily use, the catless DP on EL exhaust (res or nonres) is a NOGO. Single midpipe idk but I need some cruising clips, not full throttle or stand still reving to know forsure. The issue is when rolling at low rpms, it's absolutely embarrassing sounding.

My buddy with same setup doing 2k rpms cruising, not gassing...
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 11:06 PM   #425
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
Hmm. Anyone seen clips that show whether this happens with stock DPs? Agreed most clips seem to focus on revs or WOT and now can't remember if I've seen normal 2k/cruise clips.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 11:14 PM   #426
Driver87
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2CS

Quote:
Quote:
Yup absolutely blows that I either take the loss/resell and go stock, or try another midpipe that may not work either now. Who knows anymore...

Most clips online show the car WOT but this is a daily driver which usually needs to be driven at moderate RPMs. For daily use, the catless DP on EL exhaust (res or nonres) is a NOGO. Single midpipe idk but I need some cruising clips, not full throttle or stand still reving to know forsure. The issue is when rolling at low rpms, it's absolutely embarrassing sounding.

Got damn that sound worse than a 93 straight piped civic. My EQ/CB will be here anytime now, this isn't encouraging. I have stock dp's, hopefully ok.
      01-26-2021, 12:48 AM   #427
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C - X3M - Turbo E46 M3 - 45E

Quote:
Quote:

Sounds like installation error...metal on metal rattle is very clear here imo.
      01-26-2021, 07:28 AM   #428
M2C_jondagger
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Sounds like installation error...metal on metal rattle is very clear here imo.
Unfortunately , not an installation issue. My friends setup is identical to mine. And I found another on FB , same sound. It could be the OEM rear box (I HOPE) that is causing the issue as this frequency at 2k rpms; throws the valves in high vibrate mode. This is only a hunch but if I can't solve it with Active by next week, my exhaust is up for sale forsure...
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 11:05 AM   #429
MyM2See
Private First Class
Rep

The only way to avoid the rasp is to keep stock DPs (with res or non res EL)

Another way is to possibly run aftermaket exhaust (with resonated EL mid, catless dp)
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 11:07 AM   #430
M2C_jondagger
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyM2See View Post
The only way to avoid the rasp is to keep stock DPs (with res or non res EL)

Another way is to possibly run aftermaket exhaust (with resonated EL mid, catless dp)
In what sense aftermarket exhaust? The open valves would be designed in the same way as OEM muffler , meaning both straight piped in sport. Or is something wrong with the geometry of the OEM muffler that I'm not catching
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 11:33 AM   #431
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:

I have a stock rear section and the single midpipe. I'd be willing to trade for the EL midpipe.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 01:06 PM   #432
MyM2See
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
In what sense aftermarket exhaust? The open valves would be designed in the same way as OEM muffler , meaning both straight piped in sport. Or is something wrong with the geometry of the OEM muffler that I'm not catching
It's hard to say, im only guessing. Maybe its the muffler but i doubt it.
Either way it shouldnt sound this raspy.
Im in south FL, Im going to reach out to them, hopefully AA will try to figure this out because we cant be driving like this

edit: spelling

Last edited by MyM2See; 01-26-2021 at 09:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 07:54 PM   #433
n8dgr84
572whp Stock Turbos/DP E60 Tune by Tier1Tuning
Rep
Drives: M2C - 6MT - Flex Fuel

revs @4:22
Appreciate 1
Moris3.00
      01-26-2021, 08:22 PM   #434
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Talking

revs @4:22 Sounds great to me under load. That's more of the sound im after, which seems achievable with just the midpipe.

Last edited by medphysdave; 01-26-2021 at 08:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 08:51 PM   #435
AUSf22
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS & Ferrari Roma

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyM2See View Post
It's hard to say, im only guessing. Maybe its the muffler but i doubt it.
Either way it sound this raspy.
Im in south FL, Im going to reach out to them, hopefully AA will try to figure this out because we cant be driving like this
I hope you get it fixed, judging by the video it does sound horrendous ..

Keep us updated !
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 11:31 PM   #436
n8dgr84
572whp Stock Turbos/DP E60 Tune by Tier1Tuning
Rep
Drives: M2C - 6MT - Flex Fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
revs @4:22 Sounds great to me under load. That's more of the sound im after, which seems achievable with just the midpipe.
The car in the video has catless downpipes, resonated EL midpipe and stock rear M3 CS muffler.

The catless dp seems to provide that top end "sizzle".

Stock DP and resonated EL midpipe should be quite a bit smoother - which is what I'm doing.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 06:28 AM   #437
Ollie RS
Private
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsnice View Post
Installed mine, it paired up to my Remus Race axleback and stock downpipes. With the valves closed it’s quiet with a nice deep smooth tone. Valves open it sounds like a completely different animal.
Videos don’t do this setup justice.
Do you have any videos of this setup ?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 10:26 AM   #438
ONLYACTIVE
Private
Rep
Drives: RAPTOR

Quote:
Unfortunately , not an installation issue. My friends setup is identical to mine. And I found another on FB , same sound. It could be the OEM rear box (I HOPE) that is causing the issue as this frequency at 2k rpms; throws the valves in high vibrate mode. This is only a hunch but if I can't solve it with Active by next week, my exhaust is up for sale forsure...
We are addressing the issue now, however it may take some time as the space for the size resonators is very limited. We currently have other resonators of similar size but different internals being made which we hope to address the issue. As of now we will be halting the sale of all resonated EL M2C mid pipes. Please be patient as we will not ignore any issues with our products, we designed a one of a kind product and we will do our best to make it better as we have done with many of our past products over our 40 years being in business. We will keep you updated to our progress. Thank you.
Appreciate 2
      01-27-2021, 10:43 AM   #439
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONLYACTIVE View Post
We are addressing the issue now, however it may take some time as the space for the size resonators is very limited. We currently have other resonators of similar size but different internals being made which we hope to address the issue. As of now we will be halting the sale of all resonated EL M2C mid pipes. Please be patient as we will not ignore any issues with our products, we designed a one of a kind product and we will do our best to make it better as we have done with many of our past products over our 40 years being in business. We will keep you updated to our progress. Thank you.
Thanks for acknowleding the issue! As far as you're aware, this 2k rpm issue is only applicable to people that have catless DPs?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 11:07 AM   #440
MyM2See
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONLYACTIVE View Post
Thank you. What about those who already have the resonated version? Can we exchange for whatever the solution is?
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread