BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Airbag Recall Updates

05-19-2019, 11:36 AM   #221
mhanism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Although my CA hasn't given me much, I feel reasonably optimistic based on this thread and a couple others, that a fix has been found and is on the way - with a May 27th date being key. I feel everyone's pain here, but I'm guessing we'll hear more on the logistics and details of the fix this coming week.
MY14 335i M Sport (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 12:16 PM   #222
phantom7835
Professional Nostalgist
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C, 92 Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwan5998 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom7835 View Post
It's time to have a hard talk with the dealer. I think luongo is right. It's been two weeks with zero information or updates. If they can't tell me something tomorrow I'm out
Let me know how it goes, Did your dealer tell you something about May 27?
They told me the flier was not from BMW and they still had no date

So basically no they told me nothing
2002 325i/5, Tiag - sold
1998 M3/4/5, Cosmo - scrapped
1992 Miata, Brilliant Black, STS - on the island of misfit toys
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 12:33 PM   #223
Luongo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Carrera T

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It's time to have a hard talk with the dealer. I think luongo is right. It's been two weeks with zero information or updates. If they can't tell me something tomorrow I'm out
Let me know how it goes, Did your dealer tell you something about May 27?
They told me the flier was not from BMW and they still had no date

So basically no they told me nothing
The flier says parts are arriving on May 27th which is memorial day! I highly doubt anything will be arriving on 27th and also doubt that the filer is official.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 12:38 PM   #224
M2C89
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

I don't know about you guys but as annoying as it is, I'm not going to call it quits over a few weeks delay. It's been over 9 months since I gave my first deposit to be placed on the waiting list for an allocation, with no ETA in sight. This delay pales in comparison in the big picture, to the whole process. I just wish there was better communication. Don't think it's the dealers fault as they know nothing. This is on BMW AG.

Besides, I don't know what other car I'd get that could compare in the same price range.
Appreciate 1
mhanism277.00
      05-19-2019, 12:48 PM   #225
jwan5998
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 440I

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2C89 View Post
I don't know about you guys but as annoying as it is, I'm not going to call it quits over a few weeks delay. It's been over 9 months since I gave my first deposit to be placed on the waiting list for an allocation, with no ETA in sight. This delay pales in comparison in the big picture, to the whole process. I just wish there was better communication. Don't think it's the dealers fault as they know nothing. This is on BMW AG.

Besides, I don't know what other car I'd get that could compare in the same price range.
I just feel like every dealer has different information. Some said that it would start arriving may 27th, some said that there is not updates....Mine said that they ordered the part but part is not available.....

I am at the same boat, I am not sure what I would get beside the 440i Convertible. I am thinking of Benz SLC45. Do you have any recommendation? maybe proche 718 ?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 12:51 PM   #226
mhanism
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2C89 View Post

Agree, and my good buddy who's a CA is back tomorrow, so might see what intel I can get to confirm what others have said.
MY14 335i M Sport (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 01:37 PM   #227
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
The problem is that dealerships like to overpromise which usually results in under delivering. I can't speak on the validity of that document that was posted about parts arriving May 27th, but it looks highly suspect - something the dealer drew up just to give something to the customer to keep them "informed". BMW bulletins and information sheets arrive on proper letterhead/format and rarely give specific dates because they can't control logistics/supplier of parts especially when this stop recall affects many vehicle models and VIN's.

There is a reason why there was never a specific date for the Takata airbag recall to be performed - BMW was just sending airbags when they could. Audi has the same problem with fixing diesel models. There is no ETA of parts, they just get them when they do.
Appreciate 1
mhanism277.00
      05-19-2019, 01:40 PM   #228
jwan5998
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
The problem is that dealerships like to overpromise which usually results in under delivering. I can't speak on the validity of that document that was posted about parts arriving May 27th, but it looks highly suspect - something the dealer drew up just to give something to the customer to keep them "informed". BMW bulletins and information sheets arrive on proper letterhead/format and rarely give specific dates because they can't control logistics/supplier of parts especially when this stop recall affects many vehicle models and VIN's.

There is a reason why there was never a specific date for the Takata airbag recall to be performed - BMW was just sending airbags when they could. Audi has the same problem with fixing diesel models. There is no ETA of parts, they just get them when they do.
I thought you also were informed that the part will be available by the end of May, Is that still true?
Appreciate 1
mhanism277.00
      05-19-2019, 01:47 PM   #229
mhanism
Captain
United_States
Rep

I've also read and heard that some dealers have confirmed the 5/27 date without the notice... so hopefully the end of May period holds true...
MY14 335i M Sport (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 02:12 PM   #230
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I thought you also were informed that the part will be available by the end of May, Is that still true?
From the Service Bulletin, yes but there is no specific date. I just don't want people hanging on to the May 27th date from that document that was posted and thinking it's accurate. As far as BMW Canada (and I would assume BMW NA as well) is concerned and what they have released, it's an end-of-May ETA for parts being shipped.

I few people are already fed up with the process and how it is being handled so far so I want to be clear and relay as accurate of information I can. I do not know exactly when the stop delivery was relayed to dealerships but it was in May so there's a good chance that dealerships aren't aware of it and could have been mixed in with I would assume other service bulletins they must receive daily.
Appreciate 1
mhanism277.00
      05-19-2019, 02:14 PM   #231
jwan5998
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhanism View Post
I've also read and heard that some dealers have confirmed the 5/27 date without the notice... so hopefully the end of May period holds true...
Thank you buddy, you really calm me down (better than the dealer)
Message me whenever you come to Boston, I will buy you a drink and hopefully give you a ride with my new car after they fix the recall ah
Appreciate 1
mhanism277.00
      05-19-2019, 02:20 PM   #232
mhanism
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhanism View Post
Thank you buddy, you really calm me down (better than the dealer)
Message me whenever you come to Boston, I will buy you a drink and hopefully give you a ride with my new car after they fix the recall ah
No worries bro! We're all in the same boat and want our cars to be fixed and in our garages, where they belong. I think we'll know more as this week progresses, it's only Sunday.

And yes, thanks for the offer! I'm in the Bay Area, California if you're ever around!

Hopefully in a few weeks, we can all look back at this thread and have a chuckle.
MY14 335i M Sport (Sold)
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2019, 03:20 PM   #233
jwan5998
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
From the Service Bulletin, yes but there is no specific date. I just don't want people hanging on to the May 27th date from that document that was posted and thinking it's accurate. As far as BMW Canada (and I would assume BMW NA as well) is concerned and what they have released, it's an end-of-May ETA for parts being shipped.

I few people are already fed up with the process and how it is being handled so far so I want to be clear and relay as accurate of information I can. I do not know exactly when the stop delivery was relayed to dealerships but it was in May so there's a good chance that dealerships aren't aware of it and could have been mixed in with I would assume other service bulletins they must receive daily.
Do you use this site https://www.bmwtis.com tong the Technical Service Bulletin? Looks like I need to pay 30 dollars per day for the information . LMAO
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 03:26 PM   #234
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Do you use this site https://www.bmwtis.com tong the Technical Service Bulletin? Looks like I need to pay 30 dollars per day for the information . LMAO
I do not.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 08:03 PM   #235
BMWCompact
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I've been checking the NHTSA site every few days for my inbound M2C and my upcoming Performance Center delivery. So far, my M2C hadn't been impacted ... then ... I checked the NHTSA site a few minutes ago ... bad news.

Number of Open Recalls: 1

Summary: Knee Air Bag: The driver and/or front passenger knee air bag(s) may not have been produced to specifications.

Recall Status: Recall INCOMPLETE. Remedy not yet available.

This will be my third BMW in a row with a recall. I had the Takata steering wheel airbag recall on my '13 128i, a recall for the instrument cluster software update on my '18 M2, and now this recall, which I suppose may push out my Performance Center delivery. Sigh.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 08:05 PM   #236
phantom7835
Professional Nostalgist
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCompact View Post
I've been checking the NHTSA site every few days for my inbound M2C and my upcoming Performance Center delivery. So far, my M2C hadn't been impacted ... then ... I checked the NHTSA site a few minutes ago ... bad news.

Summary: Knee Air Bag: The driver and/or front passenger knee air bag(s) may not have been produced to specifications.

This will be my third BMW in a row with a recall. I had the Takata steering wheel airbag recall on my '13 128i, a recall for the instrument cluster software update on my '18 M2, and now this recall, which I suppose may push out my Performance Center delivery. Sigh.
BMW canceled my performance center delivery because they don't think there will be room in the schedule this summer to reschedule all of the impacted cars
2002 325i/5, Tiag - sold
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 08:06 PM   #237
jwan5998
Private
Rep

Quote:

I feel your pain, buddy.
We all going to talking to dealer tomorrow, Please let us know if you have any updates from your CA. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 08:07 PM   #238
jwan5998
Private
Rep

Quote:
BMW canceled my performance center delivery because they don't think there will be room in the schedule this summer to reschedule all of the impacted cars
I am happy as long as I can pick up my car. I do not really care about performance center at this point, very frustrating
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 08:08 PM   #239
BMWCompact
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
How can BMW just cancel Performance Center delivery? I realize that we're not paying extra for it ... but how can they justify that?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 08:09 PM   #240
phantom7835
Professional Nostalgist
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
How can BMW just cancel Performance Center delivery? I realize that we're not paying extra for it ... but how can they justify that?
your guess is as good as mine

One of the many things I'll be bringing up tomorrow as why I'm justified in canceling the car
2002 325i/5, Tiag - sold
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 08:27 PM   #241
BMWCompact
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
your guess is as good as mine

One of the many things I'll be bringing up tomorrow as why I'm justified in canceling the car
You're really going to cancel your order? That's a shame ... the M2C (and the M2 before it!) is really a lot of fun ... right size ... nice performance. I'm disappointed about the recall ... but what else is there for $60k similar in performance?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 09:32 PM   #242
mhanism
Captain
United_States
Rep

I think there's a lot of overreaction going on. Sure the recall sucks, but shit happens. Let's see how this and next week plays out and if the end of May target holds true. BMW and all of the dealerships have every reason to expedite a fix ASAP.
MY14 335i M Sport (Sold)
Appreciate 0