BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Hit a parked car

08-24-2023, 01:30 PM   #1
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
Hit a parked car

I am so frustrated with myself. I feel more bad for the car and that it got me as an owner than I do for myself, lol. It does not deserve this mistreatment.

I hit a street-parked car as I was making a tight turn (which I make daily since 2017 so was not concentrated heavily on making the turn). The damage does NOT look good - it is on a panel which as far as I can tell goes all the way to the tail lights and then wraps back up and around the B and A pillar all the way to the hood.

I don't know why I'm posting here. I guess I'm just looking for comments on how bad this is likely to be. I think what I'm most nervous about is the color matching especially on a panel this huge. I've seen posts on here about color matching gone wrong and while I usually have a hard time being able to tell, I can see most others agree with OPs yet OP has a hard time getting it fixed. "Thankfully" I know a few friends who are maybe more detail oriented than me and will be able to tell a mis-match.

I am in the Seattle area and have already researched several body shops:

1. https://pacificautobody.net/ - I came here last time I needed work done. What am embarrasing thing to even type out. Anyways as far as I can tell they did a great job, but I don't see them recommended frequently on bimmerpost

2. http://www.rnrauto.com/ - RnR frequently gets mentioned here

3. https://www.queencityautorebuild.com/ - also saw it mentioned here

4. https://hauryscollision.com/ - BMW DIY Guy said the owner is a big bmw guy, track instructor etc and he'd take it here if he ever needed body work done.

So over the next 1-2 weeks I'll try to get quotes from some of these guys. Ughhh.

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 07:58 PM   #2
(K)
Captain
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT (R.I.P.)

That looks painful. Hope you get it sorted out to be good as new!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 08:31 PM   #3
c0riolis
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 DCT

Try to find a reputable PDR shop and ask them what they think. Some of them are true wizards and can make badly bent panels (even worse than yours) look 100%.

The paint is damaged so you will need to get this repainted regardless but if you manage to save the panel via PDR the body shop should be able to just repaint the damaged area and blend within the panel instead of repainting the whole rear quarter panel and blend with the adjacent panels.

Also, if you do need to get the panel replaced, they have to grind all the welds to remove it and then weld a new one, so it is a lot of work.

A good body shop should be able to match/blend the paint well enough that you cannot tell it has been repainted so do not worry too much, you can make it look as good as new .

Cheers!

Last edited by c0riolis; 08-24-2023 at 08:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2023, 12:50 PM   #4
NWest
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Sorry this happened- suuucks. I took my old 335i to Queen City and they did excellent work, definitely get a est from them.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2023, 04:09 PM   #5
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

I don’t think that’s a PDR candidate. Too many sharp creases in different directions. However I believe the panel is savable, a good body shop will be able to pull it out enough to work with it. The key is finding a body shop willing to put the work in…most just want to bolt or weld new panels in right off the bat.
Appreciate 1
Got f1?681.00
      08-25-2023, 04:14 PM   #6
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by c0riolis View Post
Try to find a reputable PDR shop and ask them what they think.
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2023, 07:17 PM   #7
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

I don't think it will be a problem fixing that. Please post back with pics of repair. I bet you won't be able to tell when it's finished. I'd be more concerned about the paint matching HS to the other panels, but I don't think that's an issue for a good body shop.
      08-25-2023, 07:37 PM   #8
MarlboroM2C
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
  [10.00]
2021 BMW  [10.00]
Following this post to learn about the paint matching for a color like Hockenheim. Best wishes, Im sure it will work out.

Hockenheim is so complex and beautiful. struggled with BSM because of the gold within that color was tough to match when to looked to paint an after market piece. How to get or create those colors, yipes.
      08-26-2023, 02:04 PM   #9
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Well this seems like it’s gonna take a while. I’ve only been able to speak to 2 shops so far and they can’t take me in for an estimate until October and the work is unlikely to start before January 😮

Still need to contact a few more.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2023, 08:42 AM   #10
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

seems like auto shops are super busy, be it collision on mechanics.

I think they will have this looking as good as new though, as far as paint match they will blend it in nicely. Do make sure you wait a few months before putting the PPF back on.

Shit happens to everyone
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2023, 08:47 AM   #11
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

1. If you'll spend 2 minutes buffing that out it'll bother you a lot less. Most of it will come right off.
2. HHS is NOT difficult to match, so no worries.
3. You do NOT need a new quarter panel, this can easily be fixed.
4. Take it to a good shop, pay the money, don't cheap out. Make sure when they blend that they clear the entire panel to every edge, no fading (which any reputable shop would do).

5. Don't beat yourself up over this, the fact that you admitted it is punishment enough. We have all been in or WILL BE in a situation where we do something stupid, don't let it bother you.

I have done paintwork for more than 30 years, if you have any questions, just DM me.

6. BONUS: you can replace that terrible PPF with good stuff. Consider doing the entire panel...on both sides.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2023, 09:23 AM   #12
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
1. If you'll spend 2 minutes buffing that out it'll bother you a lot less. Most of it will come right off.
2. HHS is NOT difficult to match, so no worries.
3. You do NOT need a new quarter panel, this can easily be fixed.
4. Take it to a good shop, pay the money, don't cheap out. Make sure when they blend that they clear the entire panel to every edge, no fading (which any reputable shop would do).

5. Don't beat yourself up over this, the fact that you admitted it is punishment enough. We have all been in or WILL BE in a situation where we do something stupid, don't let it bother you.

I have done paintwork for more than 30 years, if you have any questions, just DM me.

6. BONUS: you can replace that terrible PPF with good stuff. Consider doing the entire panel...on both sides.
Good advice. You'd be surprised how much of the blemish will clear up with a bit of buffing compound.

Yes, body shops are packed. 45 to 60 day wait around here. You may want to ask them about the cash price vs insurance. My guess is sub 3k cash price.

In my area we a couple of really great caliber collision centers. None of the auto dealerships do their own work. They outsource locally, so you can't find which shops are doing higher end work. As most shops are independent it comes down to the skills of the onsite folks. Word of mouth and reviews are what I used to pinpoint a location.
      09-01-2023, 10:51 PM   #13
MSH_
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C

for what it's worth here's a recent thread on Rennlist for Body shops in Seattle..
Bottom line--> Haury's and Queen city look like the go-to's. One shop recommended in Portland if you are willing to make the drive....

https://rennlist.com/forums/west-us-...dy-repair.html
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 01:49 PM   #14
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I’ve gotten 2/3 estimates back and they’re both around 5k. Wasn’t sure what to expect but can’t say I’m too surprised.

Queen City told me the color is tricky and they’d repaint the entire undamaged passenger side door to help with the color matching. Makes me nervous to get so much of the car re-painted but the shop has great reviews and many nice Porsches were there so I’m sure they’d do a good job. Still…ugh.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2023, 06:11 PM   #15
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I wouldn’t use Queen City. My friends M3 was repaired there and after a few years the repair area was a different color than the rest of the body. I have had good luck with Haury’s. They are very involved with the local BMWCCA chapter and give 5% off to BMWCCA members. You can also try R N R in Bellevue. http://www.rnrauto.com/
      10-30-2023, 01:09 PM   #16
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the tip DanG. Do you have first hand experience with RNR or know anyone that does?

I got estimates back now from RNR, Queen City and Haury's.

RNR and Queen City were both 5k.

Haury's is 13k.

<thinking-or-confused face emoji>

Last edited by ESB; 10-30-2023 at 01:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 02:26 PM   #17
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Haury’s quoted me $6k+ for spraying a front and rear bumper when I called them out about their FU price they ghosted me. Fantastic customer service .

QC is great, they had me come in and showed me different test sprays. Cost me $2.5k all said and done.

Having said all that, a good shop should get you a match that’s very close and would blend it in to any connecting panels. Don’t be afraid to push back if the color isn’t acceptable to you.
      10-30-2023, 03:17 PM   #18
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESB View Post
Thanks for the tip DanG. Do you have first hand experience with RNR or know anyone that does?

Haury's is 13k.

I am afraid that I have used R N R before. They did a great job. They are the go to shop for BMW Bellevue.
      10-30-2023, 03:23 PM   #19
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:

Haury's is 13k.

I guess I am a little confused. At the quoted price I am surprised that you are not going through your insurance. If you are going through insurance it doesn’t matter what the quoted price is. The body shop will negotiate a price with the insurance carrier. I would then take it to Haury’s first or R N R second.
      11-01-2023, 02:19 PM   #20
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Let us know what you decide to do.
      11-06-2023, 04:58 PM   #21
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I was initially undecided but yeah I’m going to go through insurance. I just filed my claim.

Isn’t there some risk that the insurance and body shop fail to agree on a price and I’m stuck paying the diffeence? I’m okay with that for the shops that gave me 5-7k estimates but Haury’s was in another planet and I’m not sure if that’s a risk I’d be comfortable signing up for with them.

So I think I’m deciding between RNR and Pacific Auto Body. Pacific Auto Body doesn’t get mentioned frequently but BMW Seattle sends them their cars and they did good work for me in the past.
Appreciate 1
DanG10660.50
      11-06-2023, 05:05 PM   #22
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
I was initially undecided but yeah I’m going to go through insurance. I just filed my claim.

Isn’t there some risk that the insurance and body shop fail to agree on a price and I’m stuck paying the diffeence? I’m okay with that for the shops that gave me 5-7k estimates but Haury’s was in another planet and I’m not sure if that’s a risk I’d be comfortable signing up for with them.

So I think I’m deciding between RNR and Pacific Auto Body. Pacific Auto Body doesn’t get mentioned frequently but BMW Seattle sends them their cars and they did good work for me in the past.
You will know before repairs begin what will be covered. Haury’s is excellent in getting insurance companies to cover the cost of their repairs. They also will only use OEM parts. I never had to pay anything other than my deductible at Haury’s.