BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Track Forum General Chit Chat

09-24-2023, 12:59 PM   #1123
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymoose View Post
Take him out in mine. After he feels my suspension he’s gonna want a set of nitrons
I’ll have the guys bring a set up with them in the trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
7a/7b in this image. Not sure what it's called now. It was over by the auto museum so that's what it was called years ago.
Ok cool - that looks like a fun corner particularly the exit
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2023, 01:07 PM   #1124
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Ok cool - that looks like a fun corner particularly the exit
Yeah, you basically turn it into a straight by going over the curb, then the last right hander was off camber. But there was a spot near the curb that was a little low and your front right wheel would kinda hook into it and sling the weight to the outside wheels. If you hit it right you could carry a lot of speed. It's a weird looking turn though. There's a lot more runout room than it looks going into it. Such an amazing track.
      09-24-2023, 01:27 PM   #1125
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Which turn number is Museum?

Ok that is what I figured. You do feel the car recovers at the crest of the hills? Doesn't unload too much? Not sure if I'm bringing one with a passenger seat yet but if I do also welcome to ride along anytime. Always great to have someone familiar with the track in the car.
It’s very very brief, and it recovers quickly. Load shifts towards the rear as you power up and it take the crest of T4 well. Same thing happens again between 12 & 13. The track compression bottoms it but it recovers quickly. If I’m on a scorcher it’s nearly maxed though through apex of 13.

That 13-15 section is deceivingly up hill and you can stay on throttle. Great place to catch the GT3s as that’s a weak spot for em. They also struggle with the T2 carusel so that’s a great place to press.

Laying in bed rn resting between session. I’m spoiled.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2023, 01:55 PM   #1126
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeStripes View Post
It’s very very brief, and it recovers quickly. Load shifts towards the rear as you power up and it take the crest of T4 well. Same thing happens again between 12 & 13. The track compression bottoms it but it recovers quickly. If I’m on a scorcher it’s nearly maxed though through apex of 13.

That 13-15 section is deceivingly up hill and you can stay on throttle. Great place to catch the GT3s as that’s a weak spot for em. They also struggle with the T2 carusel so that’s a great place to press.

Laying in bed rn resting between session. I’m spoiled.
Argh well I'll likely be in a GT3 so I'll have to make sure I run away from Anonymoose everywhere else so he can't catch me through there

You have a place there at the track???
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2023, 02:09 PM   #1127
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Argh well I'll likely be in a GT3 so I'll have to make sure I run away from Anonymoose everywhere else so he can't catch me through there

You have a place there at the track???
sounds like fun

My place isn’t on campus but nearby enough that when I get a big enough gap between sessions and the crew ain’t hanging out I’ll run home to rest. I’m ruined with this setup.

I want to run Road Atlanta or VIR but I slept in till 8:15AM today and still had time to gas up and get coffee before rolling up for a 9:00AM session. Hang out in air conditioned race tower with TVs playing football. Feels like a private country club experience without the fees.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2023, 02:54 PM   #1128
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
sounds like fun

My place isn’t on campus but nearby enough that when I get a big enough gap between sessions and the crew ain’t hanging out I’ll run home to rest. I’m ruined with this setup.

I want to run Road Atlanta or VIR but I slept in till 8:15AM today and still had time to gas up and get coffee before rolling up for a 9:00AM session. Hang out in air conditioned race tower with TVs playing football. Feels like a private country club experience without the fees.
Yeah that sounds pretty awesome! Any hotel recs for the area?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2023, 03:43 PM   #1129
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep

There is a Hampton Inn that’s the go-to as it’s across the street. It’s fine. The only thing that’s nice nice is further away than you probably want.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2023, 03:55 PM   #1130
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
There is a Hampton Inn that’s the go-to as it’s across the street. It’s fine. The only thing that’s nice nice is further away than you probably want.
Perfect - thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2023, 06:45 PM   #1131
jwr9152
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Thanks for the input. Happy to extend some southern hospitality when you’re ready to come.

The M2C is modified as well but stock power. Rubber, weight reduction, suspension and APs. Mine is BM3 S291 and he’s got the legs on me, but just bareeeely. Pure500 and ethanol should address that though.

He’s an instructor that competes in time attack with years more experience so I’m not sour about the 1s delta. He towed my dumb ass to a new PB so it’s all good

What does bother me is that despite generating the same or more lateral G he’s not having the issue on the MPerf KWs…
So I think I'm the M2C in question. Not an instructor, just do a lot of TT. I don't have the right mindset to be an instructor.
My solution is always go faster stupid. LOL First track day in the M2. For setup it has AP 9660 in front with 3.12 pads, m- performance coilovers. Ran them in the BMW street setting Sunday and track setting Saturday. Not sure of the ride height. Ran out of time to corner balance it, so I just set the rear as low as it would go and eyeballed the front. Going to try and get it corner balanced before Nationals if I can. Ground control camber plates with 3.2 camber with zero toe. Rear spl toe links with 2.3 camber and 1/16 toe in. Hotchkis front sway bar. Stock rear brakes and pads. Apex wheels with 275/30/18 in front and 295/30/18 in rear. No rubbing and the car handled curbs much better then my GT4 in either setting. Not sure if you are rubbing 295/30 or 295/35.
Be happy to try and answer any questions to help figure out your issues.
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2023, 08:22 PM   #1132
Anonymoose
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Well crap now the pressure is on. I need to bring some fast tires apparently.

ThreeStripes being close to the track is nice. I sold my Tesla and picked up a small RV so I could have AC during our dreadful summers
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2023, 08:43 PM   #1133
jwr9152
Private
Rep

Quote:
Well crap now the pressure is on. I need to bring some fast tires apparently.

ThreeStripes being close to the track is nice. I sold my Tesla and picked up a small RV so I could have AC during our dreadful summers
Won't be a problem. Saw your Road Atlanta video. 157 down the back straight, that thing is a rocket ship.

Wish I could be there to see you guys run.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2023, 08:56 PM   #1134
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwr9152 View Post
So I think I'm the M2C in question. Not an instructor, just do a lot of TT. I don't have the right mindset to be an instructor.
Ah my bad. Either way, grateful for you sharing some of your experience. Respect the shit out of your ability to turn a 1:35.8 in a new platform like this.

Yeah it’s weird. It’s not rubbing fender liner at all up front. It has in the rear on driver side but that happened before I was bottoming out the shock. It self cleared back there so now it’s just shock running out of travel.

I wasn’t bottoming out on the back side of the tunnel before T13 until I was sub :41 so that’s fairly new Lol.

I’m really happy with the TCK otherwise. The car does daily duty 4 days a week, is really balanced on track at the limit, and generally handles the curbs there well. If I could keep it from bottoming out, I wouldn’t change a thing other than more driver mod.

Last edited by ThreeStripes; 09-24-2023 at 09:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2023, 09:22 PM   #1135
jwr9152
Private
Rep

Quote:
Ah my bad. Either way, grateful for you sharing some of your experience. Respect the shit out of your ability to turn a 1:35.8 in a new platform like this.

Yeah it’s weird. It’s not rubbing fender liner at all up front. It has in the rear on driver side but that happened before I was bottoming out the shock. It self cleared back there so now it’s just shock running out of travel.

I wasn’t bottoming out on the back side of the tunnel before T13 until I was sub :41 so that’s fairly new Lol.

I’m really happy with the TCK otherwise. The car does daily duty 4 days a week, is really balanced on track at the limit, and generally handles the curbs there well. If I could keep it from bottoming out, I wouldn’t change a thing other than more driver mod.
No problem. Hope you get it figured out.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 12:59 PM   #1136
Anonymoose
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Won't be a problem. Saw your Road Atlanta video. 157 down the back straight, that thing is a rocket ship.

I think I had 162-163 in the run if I hadn’t let up. This was my 4th time here and I didn’t have a front splitter yet so the car felt light because when you’re going fast enough that bend at the end of the back straight becomes a turn.

Look at my off throttle and not wot. https://youtu.be/tgIRMGOkVPA?feature=shared
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 01:07 PM   #1137
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
No problem. Hope you get it figured out.
Are you running the M2 as a dedicated track car? I go in for an alignment with my updated suspension parts and wheels. Trying to determine if I want an alignment that I stick with for DD and Track. Or having the shop set it up so I can quickly adjust the camber plates between track events. I'll run up to -2.5 degrees and accept the tire wear, but that might be giving up a bit more cornering fun at the track.

I swap pads anyway, so adjusting the camber plates is only a few more minutes.

CSR front sway, Turner rear toe links, SPL front LCA, solid bushing in front tension arm. 295-30-18 square.
      09-25-2023, 01:52 PM   #1138
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Are you running the M2 as a dedicated track car? I go in for an alignment with my updated suspension parts and wheels. Trying to determine if I want an alignment that I stick with for DD and Track. Or having the shop set it up so I can quickly adjust the camber plates between track events. I'll run up to -2.5 degrees and accept the tire wear, but that might be giving up a bit more cornering fun at the track.

CSR front sway, Turner rear toe links, SPL front LCA, solid bushing in front tension arm. 295-30-18 square.
If you are willing to do it I would set it up to where you can quickly adjust back & forth. Best of both worlds. There is some info on the boards about good setups utilizing this but if can't find it I can shoot you some specs.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 02:04 PM   #1139
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:

Likely pushing 165 to 170 depending on aero load on the back at full bore - that car screams for sure. Don't think the HP will be quite as much help at Barber but definitely won't hurt! Going to be all about how quickly get up to speed on a new track and keeping the tires happy. The car should have a lot in it - but do the drivers?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 02:31 PM   #1140
jwr9152
Private
Rep

Quote:
I think I had 162-163 in the run if I hadn’t let up. This was my 4th time here and I didn’t have a front splitter yet so the car felt light because when you’re going fast enough that bend at the end of the back straight becomes a turn.

Look at my off throttle and not wot. https://youtu.be/tgIRMGOkVPA?feature=shared
Haha. I didn't even notice the off throttle. Unbelievable how fast your car is. Can't imagine. I've driven a ZL1 1LE there before and could only hit about 153-155.

Here is my last time there in my GT4.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 02:35 PM   #1141
jwr9152
Private
Rep

Quote:

No not a dedicated track car. I drive it around town quite a bit, and I drove it 4 1/2 hours to Barber with a roof rack with a basket and my two rear track wheels/tires on the roof. LOL. I think toe is the big thing. With zero toe in the front the car isn't darty and don't get a lot of inside shoulder wear.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 02:40 PM   #1142
Anonymoose
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Haha. I didn't even notice the off throttle. Unbelievable how fast your car is. Can't imagine. I've driven a ZL1 1LE there before and could only hit about 153-155.

Here is my last time there in my GT4.
That lap was smoking for 200 tw. I went back a few weeks ago and beat the PB on Continental ECF so seat time there is paying off. Previously had 275/35/18 CRS with no real aero upfront. Turn 12 still gets me I need to fully commit.

Here is the 1:37.02 run. I fiddlefarted from 12 and saw the checkered so I wasnt WOT but I think that could have been a 1:36 run easy.

I am also still pretty chunk. Car/Driver/Gas is around 3600lbs. OG Shark built a crazy fast car. I just need to live up to its potential.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 02:50 PM   #1143
jwr9152
Private
Rep

Quote:
Likely pushing 165 to 170 depending on aero load on the back at full bore - that car screams for sure. Don't think the HP will be quite as much help at Barber but definitely won't hurt! Going to be all about how quickly get up to speed on a new track and keeping the tires happy. The car should have a lot in it - but do the drivers?
You guys will kill it. I don't have many laps there either, and it's probably my weakest track that I visit. Left a lot of time out there with too many mistakes, but for the first drive in a new car I'll take it. Be happy to help if you have any questions about lines in certain corners. I actually know them, though you can't tell from the video. Haha. Museum, the kink, and 12-13 is where a lot of time is made or lost.

Love to see video.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 02:58 PM   #1144
jwr9152
Private
Rep

Quote:
That lap was smoking for 200 tw. I went back a few weeks ago and beat the PB on Continental ECF so seat time there is paying off. Previously had 275/35/18 CRS with no real aero upfront. Turn 12 still gets me I need to fully commit.

Here is the 1:37.02 run. I fiddlefarted from 12 and saw the checkered so I wasnt WOT but I think that could have been a 1:36 run easy.

I am also still pretty chunk. Car/Driver/Gas is around 3600lbs. OG Shark built a crazy fast car. I just need to live up to its potential.
That's awesome. I'm just sitting here giggling like a kid every time I watch your speed on the back straight. That is bad ass to know these car can be that fast. Yeah I think easy 1:36 if not faster. Road Atlanta is my favorite track. Just so much fun, and if turn 12 doesn't scare you, then there is something wrong with you. Haha.

Have you every sent a video into the guys at Blayze? They really helped me find some more time.
Appreciate 0