BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Rattle on right side - 1/12/24 Update: BMW SIB 51 14 18

08-26-2021, 08:02 PM   #1
ADDONE
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M40i 2019 X5 2021 M2C

Rattle on right side - 1/12/24 Update: BMW SIB 51 14 18

I know this has been mentioned previously, but I sometimes hear a rattle from the right side when I drive over bumps. I recall people mentioning glove box fastener, windshield/A-pillar, or other possibilities. I'd like to draft an email to my service advisor, and, assuming it's true, let him know it's a known issue that BMW has solved. Before I contact him, Can anyone share evidence of a service bulletin, the possible culprit(s), and an actual successful fix? Thank you in advance!

1/12/24 Update: BMW Technical Service Bulletin SIB 51 14 18 performed by dealer. Part 51-13-8-209-642 installed. Technician’s Notes: “Road tested vehicle and checked for noise coming from passenger door. Duplicated customer concern. As per SIB 51 14 18 performed procedure. R&I passenger door vapor barrier and installed dampening foam on passenger door. Checked functionality of all door functions and rechecked for noise. Noise is no longer present after repair.”
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 10:07 PM   #2
Foggins
Restless
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C

Are you positive it’s coming from the interior? My first thought was the infamous pebbles stuck in the front wheel brake shield.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 08:15 AM   #3
ADDONE
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggins View Post
Are you positive it's coming from the interior? My first thought was the infamous pebbles stuck in the front wheel brake shield.
I'll add that to the list of possibilities. Thanks!
Appreciate 1
Foggins1334.50
      08-31-2021, 09:07 AM   #4
CptSL0W
Private
Rep
Drives: 17 WRX/21 M2C 6MT (Ordered)

I’ve been hearing a rattle as well on the passengers side coming from the cabin, but it’s the passenger seat belt hitting the pillar. Not sure what to do about that.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 10:31 AM   #5
.Slug
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSL0W View Post
I’ve been hearing a rattle as well on the passengers side coming from the cabin, but it’s the passenger seat belt hitting the pillar. Not sure what to do about that.
Small double sided velcro, soft side applied to seatbelt buckle. If you look at the female part of the buckle, BMW is already using soft side velcro to "cushion" that part of the seat belt against the center console. I'd take the same approach to the male part of the buckle. (Mine doesn't currently do this, but if it ever starts, I'll explore that as well). if its the metal part of the buckle hitting, use the velcro to attach that part of the seatbelt to the pillar when not in use. I'd use weak holding velcro so its easy to remove when your passenger wants to buckle up.

I have a small plastic on plastic creaking sound from the passenger side as well, but for me it sounds like its the door trims rubbing between each other. Pressure on the door trims makes it go away. I can't drive with my arm pushing on the door trim constantly, so its been a minor annoyance. Turning up the music pretty much solves it lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 10:35 AM   #6
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDONE View Post
I know this has been mentioned previously, but I sometimes hear a rattle from the right side when I drive over bumps. I recall people mentioning glove box fastener, windshield/A-pillar, or other possibilities. I'd like to draft an email to my service advisor, and, assuming it's true, let him know it's a known issue that BMW has solved. Before I contact him, Can anyone share evidence of a service bulletin, the possible culprit(s), and an actual successful fix? Thank you in advance!
I've had it since 2019, it either seemed more pronounced then or I've simply got used to it. I took it into the dealer and they couldn't fix it. This was again in 2019. If it has been solved by a bulletin, then that's great and i'll go in myself to get it done.
      09-01-2021, 06:56 PM   #7
Sublime00
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
I was hearing a right sided rattle that was more pronounced over bumps which at first I thought was a pebble in the wheel/caliper but was actually a bolt that holds the exhaust up. It kept getting loose, tightened it and applied loctite.
Appreciate 1
ADDONE230.00
      01-14-2024, 08:52 AM   #8
ADDONE
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
1/12/24 Update: BMW Technical Service Bulletin SIB 51 14 18 performed by dealer. Part 51-13-8-209-642 installed. Technician’s Notes: “Road tested vehicle and checked for noise coming from passenger door. Duplicated customer concern. As per SIB 51 14 18 performed procedure. R&I passenger door vapor barrier and installed dampening foam on passenger door. Checked functionality of all door functions and rechecked for noise. Noise is no longer present after repair.”
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00