BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Selling an M2 in the Winter

01-16-2024, 05:19 AM   #1
m2compred5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Comp

Selling an M2 in the Winter

Do you think most M2 comp buyers will be sitting on the side lines during the winter. I have to post mine for sale, and am thinking winter may not be that bad for the sale of an M2 as its many peoples primary car. Wish it was spring, I would be OK waiting if I thought the market would be a little stronger
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 07:51 AM   #2
tbaig
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None

Where are you located?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 09:18 AM   #3
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2compred5 View Post
Do you think most M2 comp buyers will be sitting on the side lines during the winter. I have to post mine for sale, and am thinking winter may not be that bad for the sale of an M2 as its many peoples primary car. Wish it was spring, I would be OK waiting if I thought the market would be a little stronger
You should read this article: https://www.progressive.com/answers/...-to-buy-a-car/
      01-16-2024, 11:46 AM   #4
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Do you drive it in the snow, or is it off the road right now? If driven, does it have all-seasons or snow tires on?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 12:16 PM   #5
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Any time of year is the right time of year if you're made your FS ad properly, which is vastly more important than time of year.

1. Remove every mod you possibly can from the car.
2. Address any issues it may have.
3. Take proper FS pix (you'll need help if you're not a photographer)
4. Do your research on general values and be reasonable on the price.
5. Win.

Remember that presentation is everything in sales. Everything.

Remember that people don't buy M2's with their wallets, they buy them with their hearts. Make them dream of owning it with the pictures and you'll be miles ahead of the game.
Appreciate 2
jefe2000740.50
M3R12168.50
      01-16-2024, 12:46 PM   #6
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
As a buyer it would be the best time for me for the reasons you mentioned. Demand is low. As a seller, I'd leave it up until you find the right buyer
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 02:33 PM   #7
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i, 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
Any time of year is the right time of year if you're made your FS ad properly, which is vastly more important than time of year.

1. Remove every mod you possibly can from the car.
2. Address any issues it may have.
3. Take proper FS pix (you'll need help if you're not a photographer)
4. Do your research on general values and be reasonable on the price.
5. Win.

Remember that presentation is everything in sales. Everything.

Remember that people don't buy M2's with their wallets, they buy them with their hearts. Make them dream of owning it with the pictures and you'll be miles ahead of the game.
Sadly these basics are often overlooked. Also be very transparent about things like condition (dings, scratches, rash, etc), I never believe people when they say "showroom condition" on a car that's a few years old with actual miles on it.

That being said I just moved from CT and winter time cars like that sit around, and then you have weather impacting someone's ability to see and test drive the car. As a seller I don't think I'd let someone test drive my car in CT if the car was on summer tires and it was 20 degrees out; flipside as a buyer I wouldn't want to buy a car private party that I didn't test drive.
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50
      01-16-2024, 03:11 PM   #8
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by carchrism5 View Post
That being said I just moved from CT and winter time cars like that sit around, and then you have weather impacting someone's ability to see and test drive the car. As a seller I don't think I'd let someone test drive my car in CT if the car was on summer tires and it was 20 degrees out; flipside as a buyer I wouldn't want to buy a car private party that I didn't test drive.
I'm amazed at how many people buy cars these days, sight unseen, from all manner of states without ever having considered driving it.

I think you and I are old-school with that way of thinking. These days it comes down to presentation for most buyers I think.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 05:21 AM   #9
m2compred5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaig View Post
Where are you located?
I am in Connecticut
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 05:23 AM   #10
m2compred5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Do you drive it in the snow, or is it off the road right now? If driven, does it have all-seasons or snow tires on?
I dont drive it in the snow, but i did drive it in the winter on clear days. right now I only have summer tires for it
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 05:27 AM   #11
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT

you really have nothing to lose by listing it in the winter, if someone comes and gives you what you want for it, it goes, if not, it sits until spring when you were gonna list it anyway.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 06:45 AM   #12
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
I dont drive it in the snow, but i did drive it in the winter on clear days. right now I only have summer tires for it
I'd list it as others have suggested, but with a clear notice that you won't let it go for test drives unless bare pavement (for me, I'd want an agreed upon buying price if it 'passes' and a deposit in hand, while I ride shotgun). Remember that if you try to push on summer tires in the cold (as is common during a test drive), they are prone to cracking/chunking.

Just my opinion, but I think that the longer the new M2's are out, the more nostalgia (and demand) will grow for the F87s, especially if the dealers keep it up with the ADMs and uncertain allocations (all that 'this is the last ICE car you'll ever see' doesn't hurt either). Don't get nerved-out into taking a lowball offer just because there aren't many winter buyers in CT.
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2024, 08:54 AM   #13
tbaig
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
I'd list it as others have suggested, but with a clear notice that you won't let it go for test drives unless bare pavement (for me, I'd want an agreed upon buying price if it 'passes' and a deposit in hand, while I ride shotgun). Remember that if you try to push on summer tires in the cold (as is common during a test drive), they are prone to cracking/chunking.

Just my opinion, but I think that the longer the new M2's are out, the more nostalgia (and demand) will grow for the F87s, especially if the dealers keep it up with the ADMs and uncertain allocations (all that 'this is the last ICE car you'll ever see' doesn't hurt either). Don't get nerved-out into taking a lowball offer just because there aren't many winter buyers in CT.
That’s not true anymore. You can get a G87 at a discount and used ones are sitting on dealer lots. The market is different than the last few years.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 09:48 AM   #14
murderspice
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
That’s not true anymore. You can get a G87 at a discount and used ones are sitting on dealer lots. The market is different than the last few years.
Yes but the g87 is ugly as hell, ridiculously expensive for a small 2 door car, and is waay more car than your average consumer is interested in. It also got lukewarm praise compared to the ‘zomg, best bmw ever made’ praise the f87 got. Hell, chris harris wouldnt even put a review out for it until nearly a year after it came out. For reference, he picked up the 992 gt3rs *from the factory* and even did the break in miles on camera. Things you are excited about typically get put before other things you are less excited about, imo.

If I recall, Europe got a disproportionate number of f87s compared to the US, meaning its not exactly a common car over here. Not sure about the OG/C split for North America.
      01-18-2024, 09:50 AM   #15
tbaig
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by murderspice View Post
Yes but the g87 is ugly as hell, ridiculously expensive for a small 2 door car, and is waay more car than your average consumer is interested in. It also got lukewarm praise compared to the ‘zomg, best bmw ever made’ praise the f87 got. Hell, chris harris wouldnt even put a review out for it until nearly a year after it came out. For reference, he picked up the 992 gt3rs *from the factory* and even did the break in miles on camera. Things you are excited about typically get put before other things you are less excited about, imo.

If I recall, Europe got a disproportionate number of f87s compared to the US, meaning its not exactly a common car over here. Not sure about the OG/C split for North America.
The more I am watching or reading about the G87 the more I think sentiment is changing. Chris Harris raved about the new M2 in his review. And a lot of people who owned the prior gen say great things.
Styling is subjective but I agree with you that the F87 is the better looking car.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 10:03 AM   #16
murderspice
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
The more I am watching or reading about the G87 the more I think sentiment is changing. Chris Harris raved about the new M2 in his review. And a lot of people who owned the prior gen say great things.
Styling is subjective but I agree with you that the F87 is the better looking car.
In no objective way do I consider it a bad car. Subjectively, though? I wouldn’t be surprised if they released a convertible version.
      01-18-2024, 04:49 PM   #17
dead.pixel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
There are definitely more casual sports car buyers as the weather warms up. It’s not very exciting to buy something you can’t drive and enjoy immediately.

In warmer climates, this is a non-issue, so I would try to open up your pool of potential buyers to the whole country.

Have you thought about putting it up for auction on Cars and Bids or Bring A Trailer?
Appreciate 0