BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Ohlins R&T with Ground Control Plates Experiences

04-10-2023, 12:08 PM   #1
DrChase
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Ohlins R&T with Ground Control Plates Experiences

Hello all! I'm running OEM suspension with ground control camber plates and loving the camber on track, even with the minor NVH introduced up front by the bearings of the plates. Looking at going to coilovers for street and track use (about six to 10 track events a year). Anyone have good experiences pairing the Ohlins R&T (especially with Swift springs, like those fitted by 3DM) with Ground Control plates? I've heard of bad experiences, but want to make sure I'm not missing out on a great option. I'm already cool with the minor NVH of the ground control plates on a stock suspension setup, but I really don't want to introduce any more than the current NVH levels. I am willing to go with M Performance coilovers as backup option, since I'm not looking for much lower ride height and I want a moderate spring rate and damping for dual purpose use. Just partial toward Ohlins if I can make it work. Thanks for sharing your experiences!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 01:23 PM   #2
imperfectluck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 20' F87

I can maybe chime in here from the perspective of picking up my car with GC camber plates already installed (previous owner installed them and never went down the rabbit hole as the plates themselves I noticed never had markings moving it from the neutral starting point) on a stock suspension car. Compared to Millway, the GC do have more NVH though my perspective is biased as I’ve never had a chance to hear the difference from stock. I noticed when swapping from PSS to PS4S though I had a “wow this is much nicer” kind of tolerance so of course tires play their role also.

Decided to go with the R/T with Öhlins default spring rate as a starting point and adjust if I felt that I needed stiffer springs. It’s only started warming up in the north east so haven’t had time to do any canyon runs but I do enjoy compared to KW how quickly I can get under the car on all four corners and turn the adjustment knobs I’d say makes it worth the time saved from the KW V3 I came from on my F30.

Mine are currently at 15 clicks on the street although tires and their sidewall play a roll here as when I was on my Alpin 5 winter tires at 17 clicks, I would cringe a bit taking certain road imperfections though now a bit stiffer with the PS4S I said to myself what a difference tire compound makes.

A bit long winded but everyone’s perspective is different just sharing my own and I think you’d certainly enjoy the R/T for your purposes. Can’t comment much on the Swift springs unfortunately but the default F: 90N R: 190N hasn’t had me complaining on these NYC roads.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 02:09 PM   #3
projekt-
Cruisin'
Rep
Drives: '19 LBB M2C 6MT

If you don't mind the NVH you should be fine. Many run Ohlins+camber plates on the forum and use it for double duty.

I personally have 3DM's Ohlin setup (with stock tops), but I'm 90% street/spirited driving/canyon; not really track. I've dialed in my setup for my use and I personally love it.

warrenw has/had Ohlins and tracked with it plenty. He may be a good person to contact for his experience on track.
Appreciate 1
usc33562.00
      04-11-2023, 12:06 PM   #4
DadVibes
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 CS

Garage List
I'm using Ohlins R&T with GC camber plates and absolutely love the combo. As expected, there is some additional NVH with the setup. But nothing that negatively impacts the experience. At a reasonable ride height with damping set on the softer side, it's an extremely pleasant ride that's less harsh than the stock dampers w/Vorshlag plates, while also being notably more compliant over typical road deviations. In fact, with softer damping settings, it feels less harsh than my wife's CX-5.

When I head up to do some canyon carving, I'll quickly change the damping settings to be on the firmer side to improve cornering. As you'd imagine, depending on how much you want to tighten the dials, the ride can get very firm. However, even in the recommended track setting, NVH remains lower than I initially anticipated it would. Granted, I've only ever gone that extreme once.

When I bought the car, it already had Vorshlag camber plates installed. I switched to GC plates when the Ohlins were installed, simply because the Vorshlag adapter plates to accommodate the narrower coilover springs were back ordered for an unknown amount of time.

I can't say I noticed any perceivable increase in NVH, going from the Vorshlags/stock struts to GC/Ohlins combo and I'd go this route again in a heartbeat.
Attached Images

Last edited by DadVibes; 04-11-2023 at 12:15 PM..
Appreciate 2
      04-11-2023, 12:17 PM   #5
projekt-
Cruisin'
Rep
Drives: '19 LBB M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadVibes View Post
I'm using Ohlins R&T with GC camber plates and absolutely love the combo. As expected, there is some additional NVH with the setup. But nothing that negatively impacts the experience. At a reasonable ride height with damping set on the softer side, it's an extremely pleasant ride that's less harsh than the stock dampers w/Vorshlag plates, while also being notably more compliant over typical road deviations. In fact, with softer damping settings, it feels less harsh than my wife's CX-5.

When I head up to do some canyon carving, I'll quickly change the damping settings to be on the firmer side to improve cornering. As you'd imagine, depending on how much you want to tighten the dials, the ride can get very firm. However, even in the recommended track setting, NVH remains lower than I initially anticipated it would. Granted, I've only ever gone that extreme once.

When I bought the car, it already had Vorshlag camber plates installed. I switched to GC plates when the Ohlins were installed, simply because the Vorshlag adapter plates to accommodate the narrower coilover springs were back ordered for an unknown amount of time.

I can't say I noticed any perceivable increase in NVH, going from the Vorshlags/stock struts to GC/Ohlins combo and I'd go this route again in a heartbeat.
Out of curiosity, what are you dampening (clicks) settings for your area/roads? I know this is subjective and really depends on your area. I've always wondered compared what people ran as opposed to my area.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 12:28 PM   #6
DadVibes
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by projekt- View Post
Out of curiosity, what are you dampening (clicks) settings for your area/roads? I know this is subjective and really depends on your area. I've always wondered compared what people ran as opposed to my area.
After testing with all sorts of variations, I've settled on:

17 clicks (all around) for standard driving
12 clicks (all around) for the canyons
      04-11-2023, 01:25 PM   #7
DrChase
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Awesome feedback on the Ohlins, DadVibes! Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2023, 04:00 PM   #8
jbalabas
Private
Rep
Drives: f82

I've got the R&T on my f82. I started on running softer on the street and stiffer on the track. As time went on I drive less and less on the street, just a few hours to the track. I now use 5 clicks from full close as my reference and starting point. Fairly rough at low speeds but fine on the hiway
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 10:14 AM   #9
N54B30A
Captain
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2021 HS M2C

I ran vorsclags on my e92 and had to rebuild the bearing twice in 50k miles. Any camber plate is adding another wear item and nvh. One of the only solutions to adding camber without nvh is to run the camber correction kit from the f80 which is an oem part and brings front camber to around 2 degrees but it is not adjustable, it essentially shifts the bottom of the shock slightly more outward.