BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Why replace the 788m wheels

09-12-2019, 11:35 AM   #1
lollygagging
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Garage List
Why replace the 788m wheels

I am new here and was really wondering something about the stock 788m wheels on the M2 Competition.

If the stock wheels are forged, why do some wish to replace them with cheaper non-forged wheels?
Is it because they can find some a bit lighter or mainly because of looks?

I am in a situation where I think the stock wheels look pretty good but want to get a second set of wheels. I have a couple options here since I want to use winter tires since I'm in NE but also would like to track the car a few times a year.

So I am wondering... should I use the stock wheels in the summer and for tracking and look for a decent but cheaper pair of wheels for winter.
Or should I use the stock wheels for winter then get a second set of wheels for the summer that can also work for the track.

I like the price and look of the Apex Ec7 wheels and I was thinking I could maybe get a set of wider summer performance tires for them, and a set of track tires as well.
Then I started wondering though would I want to track with those over the stock forged wheels?

I really don't know too much about this and can count the number of times I've tracked in my life on one hand.

I'm basically looking for some input from others that need 3 different sets of tires for summer street, winter, and summer track and possibilities of doing that with 2 sets of wheels and for which use of the stock wheels might be best.

Any guidance is appreciated.

Last edited by lollygagging; 09-12-2019 at 04:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 05:52 PM   #2
PilotxERAU
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollygagging View Post
I am new here and was really wondering something about the stock 788m wheels on the M2 Competition.

If the stock wheels are forged, why do some wish to replace them with cheaper non-forged wheels?
Is it because they can find some a bit lighter or mainly because of looks?

I am in a situation where I think the stock wheels look pretty good but want to get a second set of wheels. I have a couple options here since I want to use winter tires since I'm in NE but also would like to track the car a few times a year.

So I am wondering... should I use the stock wheels in the summer and for tracking and look for a decent but cheaper pair of wheels for winter.
Or should I use the stock wheels for winter then get a second set of wheels for the summer that can also work for the track.

I like the price and look of the Apex Ec7 wheels and I was thinking I could maybe get a set of wider summer performance tires for them, and a set of track tires as well.
Then I started wondering though would I want to track with those over the stock forged wheels?

I really don't know too much about this and can count the number of times I've tracked in my life on one hand.

I'm basically looking for some input from others that need 3 different sets of tires for summer street, winter, and summer track and possibilities of doing that with 2 sets of wheels and for which use of the stock wheels might be best.

Any guidance is appreciated.
They are bricks man. 24 and change and 26 and change for weights. Everyone is different some just want looks and some want purpose. For me it is purpose and going with a lightweight forged wheel that can support fatter tires is the main reason.
Appreciate 0