Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEfan508 View Post
Jealous of everyone that drives the car @ 100% I'm stuck in traffic morning, noon, night and fu***ng midnight traffic (construction) embarrassing just 1.9k miles since April

I hit 80 mph on the pike and I thought that was bad ass (5am no traffic yesterday)

I'm rethinking why I have a 400 hp bimmer here, a f150 to tackle potholes makes more sense

Haven't heard tire squeal, never lost the rear end because I drive around the city it's not practical or safe to have that kind of fun in BOSTON
The current trend down here is to drive 10-20km/h UNDER the speed limit. Probably so you can use your smart phone more safely whilst driving, because, as we all know, speed kills. Drives me insane.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 08:45 AM   #24
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEfan508 View Post
Jealous of everyone that drives the car @ 100% I'm stuck in traffic morning, noon, night and fu***ng midnight traffic (construction) embarrassing just 1.9k miles since April

I hit 80 mph on the pike and I thought that was bad ass (5am no traffic yesterday)

I'm rethinking why I have a 400 hp bimmer here, a f150 to tackle potholes makes more sense

Haven't heard tire squeal, never lost the rear end because I drive around the city it's not practical or safe to have that kind of fun in BOSTON
The current trend down here is to drive 10-20km/h UNDER the speed limit. Probably so you can use your smart phone more safely whilst driving, because, as we all know, speed kills. Drives me insane.
We have some beautiful back roads in New England that's not the problem it's SPEED, I want to open my car up but the liability of going 20 mph over our conservative speed limits here are getting to me

I don't know what 6th gear feels like...

Edit: I sound like a cry baby from venting, I will just enjoy the open road so much more now, 1st world problems, can't drive my bimmer fast because of traffic

Last edited by NEfan508; 09-04-2019 at 08:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 12:30 PM   #25
Proctor750
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3

I've wrung it's neck out and it's definitely a little twitchy but the E diff does wonders when you think you can't get away with something.
I don't use the mdm or whatever other electronic settings there are so can't comment on the behavior there (everything OFF set to button 2).
It's a car that definitely requires respect and time to really squeeze out the potential. Definitely fast enough to make it very difficult to achieve anywhere near 10/10ths without being on a track (not that anyone should ever drive 10/10ths on a public back road).

Straight line speed is irrelevant as it's all about the cornering for me. It did take some time to adjust from the E30 on/off switch steer with throttle driving style though.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 01:48 AM   #26
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
155ish on the autobahn yesterday and didn't even notice I hit the limiter until it just wouldn't accelerate anymore. It's the super buttoned up/stable. And when it comes to handling, just did the four Swiss pass loop today, yeah this car is solid.
Autobahn doesn't count. It's as smooth as glass. Not the same as driving on the roads in the States.

BMW's rebound damping tuning leaves much to be desired.
Disagree. Let me know again where you can go that fast in the states legally? I always forget. I also live in the Bay Area and there are plenty of highways in the US that are similarly smooth as glass, but sure. Even at legal speed limits or within 20 miles above it this car is solid. Test drove the M2C a few times before buying it getting up to ~100 mph on public roads and felt just as solid.

In the states, where you will go close to that fast is on a track, which, are paved pretty damn well. But, sure.

It's your opinion that it sucks, it's mine that it doesn't. Funny how opinions can be different huh? Doesn't mean I'm wrong.
I have to agree with TRZ. At 3am driving thru NM and AZ, I got up to 150 and the car was very unstable. 2018 M3. Not sure if it was the wind, but there wasn't much downforce, if any, at those speeds. Legalities aside, just providing another datapoint.
      09-05-2019, 05:18 PM   #27
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

I'm not BMW bashing in anyway, it's just the facts. BMW has excellent compression tuning, but their rebound tuning is not confident inspiring. Believe me, I was very sadden to learn this on my road trip back home from the dealership in my new M3.

It was my main motivation to spend $4K on Ohlin R&T coilovers.

I realize BMW has made a couple revisions to the stiffness of the M3 CS and the M2, but the basic shock tuning profile still is weak.
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 1
paliknight2191.50
      09-07-2019, 07:30 AM   #28
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
I'm not BMW bashing in anyway, it's just the facts. BMW has excellent compression tuning, but their rebound tuning is not confident inspiring. Believe me, I was very sadden to learn this on my road trip back home from the dealership in my new M3.

It was my main motivation to spend $4K on Ohlin R&T coilovers.

I realize BMW has made a couple revisions to the stiffness of the M3 CS and the M2, but the basic shock tuning profile still is weak.
Don’t know about the older models but you should probably drive a new one. Pretty much the perfect road suspension for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 11:43 PM   #29
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proctor750 View Post
I've wrung it's neck out and it's definitely a little twitchy but the E diff does wonders when you think you can't get away with something.
I don't use the mdm or whatever other electronic settings there are so can't comment on the behavior there (everything OFF set to button 2).
It's an electronically controlled mechanical LSD, not an E Diff(like they used in 135i Coupe years ago where electronic sensors do brake inputs to the inner rearwheel thus making the outer wheel turning faster mimicking a real mech lsd, afaik McLaren uses it like that ).

I only use all nannies off on driftdays (DOH) or sometimes in snowy/wet circumstances /on trackday etc. and when traffic etc allows it.

If you're not aware it will bite you but if you're familiar /experienced with it it's alright.

I drive 99/100% MDM irl.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 06:45 AM   #30
bplewis24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 LBB M2 Comp; Tesla Model3

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdss View Post
I've only had the car up to 140. but it seemed very stable and planted.
I hit 140mph for the first time the other day and it felt much more stable than my 335i did at 120mph (the top speed I've hit prior to the other day).

I can't really comment on cornering yet as the only time I was on the track I still had all of the nannies on. But I had a blast and it handled great :-)
      09-09-2019, 10:25 AM   #31
Proctor750
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
It's an electronically controlled mechanical LSD, not an E Diff(like they used in 135i Coupe years ago where electronic sensors do brake inputs to the inner rearwheel thus making the outer wheel turning faster mimicking a real mech lsd, afaik McLaren uses it like that ).

I only use all nannies off on driftdays (DOH) or sometimes in snowy/wet circumstances /on trackday etc. and when traffic etc allows it.

If you're not aware it will bite you but if you're familiar /experienced with it it's alright.

I drive 99/100% MDM irl.

Cheers
Robin
Ah thanks for the correction.
I am not up to date on the electronic stuff and am very analog. I only meant that the differential has a variable lockup which is controlled electronically vs a static setting of say 20% lockup.
In my other dinosaur cars we have to add clutches or play with ramp angles in the LSD unit to change the diff behavior.
Having an electronically controlled diff eliminates that and feels almost like a cheat code.
It hurts a little bit though to know that when not powered it's actually an open diff (spin the rear wheels next time you have it off the ground to see what I mean.)
Appreciate 0