BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > F87 M2/M2C Future Classics?

08-30-2019, 12:18 PM   #23
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueF87M2 View Post
The question is not if they will be collectible , but if they will turn out in future classics ! Because you can keep a BMW M2 and in 20 yrs you can just have 500miles - and that yes , thats a collectible , its the first gen M2 with low milage .

As well , the e46 m3 can be considered as a future classic since it was a special car , the 85k pieces that was sold doesnt change that. As well the F87M2 had a production figures around 14K which again is just fine . The original E30M3 had more ! Ofc if you add the Competition and Cs etc it will be more , but they are different animals too. Each one is special.
Exactly. Jaguar didn't limit production of the E-Type. It was a huge hit for them. Nobody is going to sit here and tell me an E-Type isn't a classic car. Same with the 240Z and the Lotus Elan.

Again, we're talking about nostalgia here. Nobody is going to be nostalgic for a thing they'd never heard of back in the day.

Collectibility and future value are a totally different thing. I think the M2 and the M2C will hold their value relatively well compared to other cars of the era (as performance cars often do) but its unlikely they will every be worth more than they were new when adjusted for inflation.

Still, 30 years from now, any enthusiast who sees an M2 is going to look at it and think "That's fuckin rad, cool to still see the old classics still on the road." Just like I do, every time i see an E30 M3.
Appreciate 1
F87EVO4031.00
      08-30-2019, 12:52 PM   #24
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 CS (6MT)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
Quote:
The question is not if they will be collectible , but if they will turn out in future classics ! Because you can keep a BMW M2 and in 20 yrs you can just have 500miles - and that yes , thats a collectible , its the first gen M2 with low milage .

As well , the e46 m3 can be considered as a future classic since it was a special car , the 85k pieces that was sold doesnt change that. As well the F87M2 had a production figures around 14K which again is just fine . The original E30M3 had more ! Ofc if you add the Competition and Cs etc it will be more , but they are different animals too. Each one is special.
Exactly. Jaguar didn't limit production of the E-Type. It was a huge hit for them. Nobody is going to sit here and tell me an E-Type isn't a classic car. Same with the 240Z and the Lotus Elan.

Again, we're talking about nostalgia here. Nobody is going to be nostalgic for a thing they'd never heard of back in the day.

Collectibility and future value are a totally different thing. I think the M2 and the M2C will hold their value relatively well compared to other cars of the era (as performance cars often do) but its unlikely they will every be worth more than they were new when adjusted for inflation.

Still, 30 years from now, any enthusiast who sees an M2 is going to look at it and think "That's fuckin rad, cool to still see the old classics still on the road." Just like I do, every time i see an E30 M3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
Quote:

Exactly , but i think that especially the M2 will rise up in value just like the E30 when all cars will become electric. Its common sense , as well the F8X will rise up .
Moflow2484.50
      08-30-2019, 01:55 PM   #25
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

ask vin diesel to put the m2 in a fast and furious movie..haha. That movie and being able to hit 1000whp is one of the reasons the a80 supra became so popular after they stopped making it.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 04:02 PM   #26
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TemjinX2 View Post
ask vin diesel to put the m2 in a fast and furious movie..haha. That movie and being able to hit 1000whp is one of the reasons the a80 supra became so popular after they stopped making it.
Quote:
Lol , you re comparing a supra 1000whp with an M2 ? You must be joking , by the way 1000 times the M2 than the supra , 1000whp may think is fun , not for me . Try on getting some sideways and control it as well , balance 0 ! As well the supra was really overestimated , because they can tune it 2000 hp? The numbers are only for papers . E30 M3 with only 200hp is much more fun , and is as well a future classic, the supra instead is just a 1/4 mile beast.
Moflow2484.50
      08-30-2019, 04:11 PM   #27
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

Quote:
Lol , you re comparing a supra 1000whp with an M2 ? You must be joking , by the way 1000 times the M2 than the supra , 1000whp may think is fun , not for me . Try on getting some sideways and control it as well , balance 0 ! As well the supra was really overestimated , because they can tune it 2000 hp? The numbers are only for papers . E30 M3 with only 200hp is much more fun , and is as well a future classic, the supra instead is just a 1/4 mile beast.
i'm saying some of the reasons why the supra became iconic because it was one of the first engines to break the 1000whp barrier and its been the hero car in famous car movies.

similar to buillt mustang and steven mcqueen for baby boomers.

i'm not saying hitting 1000whp is a requirement.

anyways it was a joke.
Appreciate 1
F87EVO4031.00
      08-30-2019, 04:23 PM   #28
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
i'm saying some of the reasons why the supra became iconic because it was one of the first engines to break the 1000whp barrier and its been the hero car in famous car movies.

anyways it was a joke.
Quote:
Quote:

anyways it was a joke.
I know its a joke buddy , the only thing that matters to me as i have the f87 og m2 is the engine , from a point , its special since they have reworked and make it last for hard driving , as well the sound is nice , but my thought really are on the CS , which ofc i find it as a marketing car , since there are few changes to the comp , ofc if you compare it with the og , there is a whole new engine , so rather taking the comp for the engine , why not waiting for the cs which yes its limited production model. The thing is , ill get a big punch if they release in 2021 an M2CSL ... as you know , the CSL is the one to have in terms of performance and exclusivity . But on the other hand all those models , have the code F87 which is that why the M2 is great. Never track the car , just street fun . But i dont think the OG will be the shit car because of the engiNe , 1m had a tuned n54 as well , and the engine wasnt the problem. Logic says to me that , the og cant be a sh*t car since is the first ever M2, so many reviewers lost their minds with that , jeremy clarkson etc. im really thinking the CS tho , but i dont want a mini m4 ... the og for me has more character instead for the same bulge , engine , and styling etc... really im a fan of the engine, but yes , the CS isnt that special as the CSL ... that was made me thinking . As well , the OG production was just for 2 years and 14k were produced , the E30 M3 had around 20k . And the current M4 has more than 85k produced . Yes the M2 continues with the comp but that is not the same , engine , grills , front end , interior etc. but in the end , after many years , what will be remembered is not the comp or cs , it will be the damn F87 chassis.
      08-30-2019, 04:45 PM   #29
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
I don't think so because I think the next gen m2 will do everything this generation m2 does with the exception of non digital gauges and DCT option. The g series m2 will still be rwd and 6 speed MT option, so what would make the F generation so special? Why is it unique in some way? Unless the G series car drives horribly.
Exactly!

For a vehicle to be a classic, it must possess something unique to the segment. The M2 is basically a parts-bin vehicle.

The next gen M2 will overshadow F-series in every way because BMW treat its development and gestation like the M4, by better preparing it for its projected demand. Maybe even throw in some Individual options.

I was so happy when I heard they were putting the M4 motor in the M2 with the Competition but after I was done playing with all the tech in the new G series, I've decided I'm going to hold out for the next get M2.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 05:09 PM   #30
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
I don't think so because I think the next gen m2 will do everything this generation m2 does with the exception of non digital gauges and DCT option. The g series m2 will still be rwd and 6 speed MT option, so what would make the F generation so special? Why is it unique in some way? Unless the G series car drives horribly.
Exactly!

For a vehicle to be a classic, it must possess something unique to the segment. The M2 is basically a parts-bin vehicle.

The next gen M2 will overshadow F-series in every way because BMW treat its development and gestation like the M4, by better preparing it for its projected demand. Maybe even throw in some Individual options.

I was so happy when I heard they were putting the M4 motor in the M2 with the Competition but after I was done playing with all the tech in the new G series, I've decided I'm going to hold out for the next get M2.
Quote:
Quote:
Exactly!

Understood about the thing that BMW treated the Original M2 as a parts bin vehicle just like the 1M. I also get it that BMW treated the M2 just like a mini M4 so they could sell and see that demand . Those were my thoughts first on getting the M2 Comp or the CS , because they make it less special for me , all those are marketing , they could put that engine from
The begining , even detuned , but yes i see it as they did it intentionally and putted the "special" n55 and grills etc . 2 years production only . The CS is even getting the m4 cs hood bulge , engine , styling , seats , everything !! Why the M5/6 has different mirrors and engine etc than the M3/4? The comp and Cs , is just a mini M4 , that made me thinking the original is more special . Remember the 1M , was the same recipe except 1 year production than 2 years , 6500 pieces sold , instead of 14000 the og M2 , but hey the M2 was their first ever 2 series M product , its not like a 5th gen M3 ...they made it this way , in order to keep their first M2 more special than the upcoming "marketing" models, the last old school kidney grills etc . Yes i was thinking on getting the top of the line F87 which seems to be the CS , but who knows , CSL might come , and that will be a serious car ... it def deserves it the M2 to get a csl model. As for the G87 , who knows how will it be ? What engine will have , might that will live in the shadow of M3/4 (flagships) . If it gets bigger? Remember what happened to the E30 and E36 ? Who knows , i really hope BMW will continue creating history on the Next M2 , but as you can see , they advertise and treat the M3/4 as THE car to own ( photos , dtm , power, development) . The e9X M3 was kinda close to this as well , but yeah the 1M was damn better , not just from the limited production, but because of that car recipe , sometimes building a car from a parts-bin is better.
Poochie9104.50
nachob2314.00
Ikester192124.00
      08-30-2019, 05:27 PM   #31
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
maybe in 20-30yrs when everything is electric. Mostly like the ones that came in manual.
Agree mostly the manuals have any chance of classic status in 10-20 years .
Appreciate 1
TemjinX2520.50
      08-30-2019, 05:49 PM   #32
D22M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Not a real M Car

I’m in for Gxx M2 with a B58 twinspool
turbo engine
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 06:49 PM   #33
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Not at all. The M2 is just a good car, it's not a GT3 or something. I think the list of current-era cars that will be highly sought-after 30 years from now is extremely small.

A turbo car with EPS that 1M owners already complain about being numb is not going to do it.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 06:55 PM   #34
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Exactly!

I guess it will be the last M2 built in Germany though, lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 07:03 PM   #35
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Exactly!

I guess it will be the last M2 built in Germany though, lol.
There's still that elephant in the room..

However, I'm not despaired; it's still BMW GmbH where the R&D would be done in the homeland and I'm sure they could properly train the locals to assemble a vehicle or operate a conveyor belt.

So the sprit of the brand should remain intact, one would assume..
Appreciate 1
tranck500.50
      08-30-2019, 07:36 PM   #36
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Everyone 13-21 year old now that can't afford fun cars will buy them 20 years from now...

For me it's e39 M5, 97 Supra and 1993 454 SS pickup (my childhood crushes)

$15k-$25k I can get my pick in normal to good condition

Brother in law searched for his 1st crush, a 1988 mustang GT 190 hp lol, pure ass of a car but he loves it, had it shipped from Miami to NYC

I'm keeping my M2 forever, bought it with my teen son, traveled to Munich the whole 9 yards, it'll be worth $15k in 20 years @ max but I'm ok with that
Appreciate 2
tranck500.50
TemjinX2520.50
      08-31-2019, 01:08 AM   #37
Ikester19
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix; F30 328i msport

Garage List
2018 330i LCI  [0.00]
2020 G20 M340ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Exactly!

Parts bin! Many car manufacturers use some of the same parts across a range of their vehicles so I don't think that has anything to do with a car being a classic or unique, the 1M is an example of this.

There is always going to be new tech and upgrades in 'the next' model so if you wait for that you will be waiting forever. I say just buy what you like now and enjoy it for what it is. To me the M2 is just a fantastic car and yes there is a M2 comp which is arguably 'better' and a M2 CS around the corner which will be even 'better'. But I enjoy my OG M2 for what it is and I am grateful for being able to own an M car even if it's not the latest and greatest!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 01:17 AM   #38
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikester19 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Exactly!

Parts bin! Many car manufacturers use some of the same parts across a range of their vehicles so I don't think that has anything to do with a car being a classic or unique, the 1M is an example of this.

There is always going to be new tech and upgrades in 'the next' model so if you wait for that you will be waiting forever. I say just buy what you like now and enjoy it for what it is. To me the M2 is just a fantastic car and yes there is a M2 comp which is arguably 'better' and a M2 CS around the corner which will be even 'better'. But I enjoy my OG M2 for what it is and I am grateful for being able to own an M car even if it's not the latest and greatest!
Not disputing that the M2 is not a great car, it the one of the best modern BMWs money can buy.

However, I sincerely doubt in 10 - 20 years it would be considered a "classic." It's a mass-produced M car, which really didn't break new ground expect for its bite-size.

I swore up and down that my favorite M car the V8 NA E92 M3 would have a long, fruitful legacy but now you purchase one for 20k and make it your hoopty. So there's that..

Not a dig at any model, merely calling it like I see it, based on history.
Appreciate 2
chris7197334.00
tranck500.50
      08-31-2019, 07:53 AM   #39
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

Go look on AutoTrader (classics site) for cars that are 30+ years old. Whether or not you consider them to be classics or collectible, examples of "desirable" cars are commanding good money. Often more than their original cost. Cars that fall into this category were cars that were acknowledged to be standouts for their time period, either due to performance or some other factor (appearance in movies, etc).

Having been through an exhaustive search for a good 2019-2020 manual transmission sports car in our current timeframe, and coming to the realization that 1) there aren't very many compelling choices, and 2) the M2C is actually at the top end of the list, I would be confident that in 30 years, good examples of the manual transmission M2C will fetch solid $$. I doubt they will be considered a classic or a collectible, but I am sure they will be desirable.

Most of these cars go through typical depreciation in the short term, and only start to increase back up after 20 years or so (this is very general). It may take 30+ years before they creep back up into the really desirable range.
Appreciate 1
MDuckie93.00
      08-31-2019, 09:11 AM   #40
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Most become collectable when they depreciates enough that the young enthusiast can afford to wrench on them as a good starting platform. A cult following begins, and prices rise. Then there are a few examples of this niche that were kept in very good condition. They fetch a premium. The cult ages and the higher cost premium examples are still attainable by the avg Joe older enthusiast. They splurge to have this "gem" in their garage. It's supply and demand. Create a demand, supply is naturally diminished due to age with culled heard, and prices rise. I don't believe any of your run of the mill versions are immediate collector pieces. The low run special versions will just be ultra rare if the cult begins to desire the model you have. And fetch an even higher premium.

skier219
Appreciate 2
F87EVO4031.00
TemjinX2520.50
      08-31-2019, 05:09 PM   #41
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
DCT compared to any electric will seem slow. The manual offers a different kind of driving experience that electric cannot since there are no manual electrics other then one boutique electric company offering manual electric corvettes. 30yrs from now a basic electric car will seem faster then any gas car, so people will be driving gas cars more for the experience rather then performance.
Mechanical pocket & wrist watches ('timepieces' if it got a rather expensive price-tag): doomed to go extinct because of smartphones and computers showing the exact time.

Oh wait, most of us still wear those things (sometimes also for reasons unrelated to knowing the time).
nachob2314.00
      08-31-2019, 06:20 PM   #42
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by particulardude View Post
it's commonly known but worth noting here - the desirability of a 'classic' car is driven by the lust of the next generation when they come of age and have the buying power when a particular car becomes a classic

NEfan5082658.50
      08-31-2019, 07:43 PM   #43
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Since car ownership and caring about cars continues to decline among those under 25, I would not make a bet any current BMW is going to be worth a thing in 30 years. First Tesla might be worth more .
Appreciate 1
F87EVO4031.00
      09-01-2019, 01:43 AM   #44
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quote:
DCT compared to any electric will seem slow. The manual offers a different kind of driving experience that electric cannot since there are no manual electrics other then one boutique electric company offering manual electric corvettes. 30yrs from now a basic electric car will seem faster then any gas car, so people will be driving gas cars more for the experience rather then performance.
Mechanical pocket & wrist watches ('timepieces' if it got a rather expensive price-tag): doomed to go extinct because of smartphones and computers showing the exact time.

Oh wait, most of us still wear those things (sometimes also for reasons unrelated to knowing the time).
Oh man , your answers are always world class!!