BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Handbrake not working after pad change

08-05-2019, 03:02 PM   #1
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 DCT, 2012

Handbrake not working after pad change

Hi,

Weird one this - I changed the pads all round to Endless MX72 pads and the the handbrake was engaged at the time of the work. Immediately afterwards though, the hand brake is now rubbish and doesn't stop the car enough on a slight slope and the car rolls back - it only works properly when it's really pulled up crazy high.

I have followed the handbrake adjustment instructions (e.g. adjusting the star adjuster inside the disc/hub), but it hasn't made any difference.

Bit stumped as I didn't do anything to the handbrake mechanism when changing the disc caliper pads.

Anyone else had a similar experience? Any ideas what it might be?

Thanks,
Graham.

Last edited by widetyres; 08-05-2019 at 03:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 04:08 PM   #2
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

AFAIK the parking brake is separate from the pads.

Did you compress the tensioner below the handbrake?

Here's a detailed tutorial https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=655621 - I think it should be applicable since the rear brake looks pretty similar.

My parking brake is rubbish too, but I think it's always been like that (only gotten worse over time). It could never hold itself on any significant incline, I've always had to put it in gear. I may consider doing this myself or just bringing it up next time I'm due for service.

Last edited by eeyang92; 08-06-2019 at 04:44 PM..
Appreciate 2
widetyres279.00
Matt Devo296.50
      08-06-2019, 04:41 PM   #3
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyang92 View Post
AFAIK the parking brake is separate from the pads.

Did you compress the tensioner below the handbrake?

Here's a detailed tutorial https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=655621 - I think it should be applicable since the rear brake looks pretty similar.

My parking brake is rubbish too, but I think it's always been like that (only gotten worse over time). It could never hold itself on any significant include, I've always had to put it in gear. I may consider doing this myself or just bringing it up next time I'm due for service.
The handbrake pushes an inner set of drum brake pads against the inside of rotor hub.

I'd pull a wheel and rotor to see what's going on. If nothing obvious, I would adjust the parking brake using the rear adjustment until you can just put the rotor back on and do the same for the other side then adjust the parking brake pads on both sides and handbrake.
Appreciate 1
widetyres279.00
      08-07-2019, 12:08 PM   #4
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

This is strange. I’ve changed all 4 sets of pads 4 times now between track days and daily driving without any impact on park brake. I keep my parking brake engages when I change rear pads also.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 03:12 PM   #5
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I did the adjustment again but ignored the officially recommended number of clicks to slacken off the adjuster and did it up until the brake was just catching and then backed it off two clicks.

On another forum I also saw mentioned that it was important to do the adjustment at least twice and to use the handbrake in between a few times to ensure it all settled - that seemed to do the trick - it's much better now. 😀

I think to be honest it was just coincidence with the pad change - it gets parked everyday on a slope so the handbrake is pulled up quite a bit on a daily basis (also left in gear) - I guess it simply chose that day to become slackened enough to be noticeable.

Cheers for the inputs!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 07:02 AM   #6
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

It twigged what happened here as I pulled up the other day - after the pad swap, I did the bedding in procedure and then parked up on the drive - as it is on a slope, I put on the handbrake. However, the discs would have been super hot!!!

School boy error! - it must have melted the handbrake shoes a bit, hence the immediate loss of handbrake function after the pad swap.

Live and learn (although TBH I should have thought about this before given I know not to use the handbrake after a track day session)! Doh!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 10:39 AM   #7
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Doh! Easy to forget in your driveway tho.
Appreciate 0