BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Car was hit while parked - Advice needed

07-05-2019, 09:06 PM   #1
EstorilM
Cars, beer, hiking
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Car was hit while parked - Advice needed

Hopefully this is ok to post in General.

My car was hit while I was parked yesterday. I don't know exactly when it happened, as I noticed it later in the day. It could have been at a couple places I had parked. Based on the damage, I think I can get 90% out with some compound and a RO polisher. However, it did go through the paint in a couple spots.
I've tried doing a bit of research but still have a few questions.

1. Is this salvageable with some polishing and touch up paint?
2. I have under-insured motorist coverage, so my policy should cover this with a $300 deductible (Located in WA). Is it worth reporting to insurance? Will this show up on a vehicle history report?
3. I have read conflicting articles/posts that you need to file a police report in order to collect under-insured motorist. Anyone have experience with this?

Note: I am planning on being completely transparent with whatever happens during selling. I am mostly worried about a generic car accident report on a carfax that will turn away 90% of buyers (even with pics).

Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 09:50 PM   #2
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Do you mean the nail polish type touch-up paint? In my experience, touch-up paint is bad. It's always bumpy and uneven. It also neglects adding a clear coat over the paint. Yours would have to be resprayed. It doesn't seem to me it would need to be blended into the trunk or quarter panels though. Due to the right angle where the bumper bends into the trunk. That angle reflects light different as is, so it's kinda a cut-off point for blending.

2. I have under-insured motorist coverage, so my policy should cover this with a $300 deductible (Located in WA). Is it worth reporting to insurance? Will this show up on a vehicle history report?

Get an estimate and see if it's worth trying to get insurance to cover it. In my state, Pennsylvania, uninsured/underinsured motorist only covers medical bills though. It's comprehensive that would cover a hit and run. As for it showing up on the vehicle's history report, I don't know. Someone hit me in Sept 2018, costing over $20k in damages, and that's not in my car's history.

3. I have read conflicting articles/posts that you need to file a police report in order to collect under-insured motorist. Anyone have experience with this?

I don't see a negative in filing a police report. Better safe than sorry. I did have insurance trouble 5 years ago because I didn't get a police report, but I don't remember exactly why it was an issue. A driver pulled out of a parking garage and t-boned my car. Cop was around the corner and stopped to see everything was okay. Driver and I exchanged insurance information, and the cop said a police report wasn't needed. So I didn't ask him to make one. And I remember their was a problem with their insurance not wanting to pay because I didn't have a report. I think the driver wasn't answering their insurance's phone calls, so their insurance company didn't believe they hit me since there was no report. I ended up taking them to court and winning. But I'm not sure that situation is relevant to you since you don't know who hit you and would be claiming on your own policy.
Appreciate 1
EstorilM367.00
      07-05-2019, 09:58 PM   #3
EstorilM
Cars, beer, hiking
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post

Do you mean the nail polish type touch-up paint? In my experience, touch-up paint is bad. It's always bumpy and uneven. It also neglects adding a clear coat over the paint. Yours would have to be resprayed. It doesn't seem to me it would need to be blended into the trunk or quarter panels though. Due to the right angle where the bumper bends into the trunk. That angle reflects light different as is, so it's kinda a cut-off point for blending.

Get an estimate and see if it's worth trying to get insurance to cover it. In my state, Pennsylvania, uninsured/underinsured motorist only covers medical bills though. It's comprehensive that would cover a hit and run. As for it showing up on the vehicle's history report, I don't know. Someone hit me in Sept 2018, costing over $20k in damages, and that's not in my car's history.

I don't see a negative in filing a police report. Better safe than sorry. I did have insurance trouble 5 years ago because I didn't get a police report, but I don't remember exactly why it was an issue. A driver pulled out of a parking garage and t-boned my car. Cop was around the corner and stopped to see everything was okay. Driver and I exchanged insurance information, and the cop said a police report wasn't needed. So I didn't ask him to make one. And I remember their was a problem with their insurance not wanting to pay because I didn't have a report. I think the driver wasn't answering their insurance's phone calls, so their insurance company didn't believe they hit me since there was no report. I ended up taking them to court and winning. But I'm not sure that situation is relevant to you since you don't know who hit you and would be claiming on your own policy.

Thanks for the info! I figured touch up paint would be unlikely. In WA state at least, under-insured motorist property damage will cover damage to your car from a hit and run (deductible is $300).
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 10:06 PM   #4
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Where in Washington are you? If you are in the Seattle area, try Holman Body and Repair. Reasonable priced and excellent work.

https://www.auto-repair-seattle.shop/
Appreciate 1
EstorilM367.00
      07-05-2019, 10:10 PM   #5
EstorilM
Cars, beer, hiking
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Where in Washington are you? If you are in the Seattle area, try Holman Body and Repair. Reasonable priced and excellent work.

https://www.auto-repair-seattle.shop/
Thank you! I'll check them out.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 06:14 AM   #6
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
United_States
Rep
Drives: Truck

About 5 years ago my car was hit in a similar fashion and I did go through my insurance for an uninsured motorist and was required to file a police report. I don’t believe it showed up on the Carfax.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 08:43 AM   #7
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Also check out Haury’s if you go through insurance. Haury’s is a BMW certified shop and a BMWCCA sponsor. https://www.hauryscollision.com/
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 09:39 AM   #8
//M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post

Work in insurance in NY.

Claim would be through collision not comp, almost certainly. Comp can be explained as anything that's not a collision with the exception of animals and a *moving object* on the road so a flying tire or piece falling off a car, if you hit a non moving object in the road it's collision.

Quite a few insurance companies do not report accident damage particularly if it's a low amount. The Police report is by far the most common way it makes it to the Carfax. I wouldn't file a police report.

With where it is on the bumper a decent shop should be able to keep the base coat far enough away that blending isn't required and then they would do full clear on the bumper (won't effect color match)

As stated touch-up paint isn't a great solution it will reduce appearance but you definitely will still be able to see it and as stated it wont come out even with the rest of the paint.

Personally I would pay out of pocket, without blending you should be able to get it fixed for 400-500 maybe 600 for a higher end shop.

Good luck.
Appreciate 1
Got f1?679.50
      07-06-2019, 11:12 AM   #9
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Work in insurance in NY.

Claim would be through collision not comp, almost certainly. Comp can be explained as anything that's not a collision with the exception of animals and a *moving object* on the road so a flying tire or piece falling off a car, if you hit a non moving object in the road it's collision.

Quite a few insurance companies do not report accident damage particularly if it's a low amount. The Police report is by far the most common way it makes it to the Carfax. I wouldn't file a police report.

With where it is on the bumper a decent shop should be able to keep the base coat far enough away that blending isn't required and then they would do full clear on the bumper (won't effect color match)

As stated touch-up paint isn't a great solution it will reduce appearance but you definitely will still be able to see it and as stated it wont come out even with the rest of the paint.

Personally I would pay out of pocket, without blending you should be able to get it fixed for 400-500 maybe 600 for a higher end shop.

Good luck.
You're right, it's collision. I was confusing it with something else.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 11:49 AM   #10
junx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Id get a quote on the cost to fix first without reporting to your ins. I'd file a police report just to be safe. Im guessing that they'll see it's clearly vehicle to vehicle contact based on paint transfer, so they shouldn't assess as a liable collision. The police report should at least help you legitimize your claim as being H&R/unidentified.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 01:57 PM   #11
WILDSTYL
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT AW

That's unfortunate!

I personally wouldn't go through insurance for such little damage. I also wouldn't file a police report as that can also show on a Carfax. Only file a police report if you plan to file an insurance claim.

Find a shop that does S.M.A.R.T. Repair (Small To Medium Area Repair Technique) where they blend into the panel.

Most of the paint transfer will come off / buff out, as for the heavy scuffs / chipped paint you could attempt the repair yourself.

See the bumper scuff repair I did on my G35, and I had no prior body work experience.

For All Pics of Repair Click here

Check out the video tutorial How to fix a scratch & stone chip with spray cans from customspraymods on YouTube, lots more tutorials on his channel.

Name:  Bumper Scuff Small.jpg
Views: 1396
Size:  534.9 KB

Name:  Bumper Scuff Fixed.jpg
Views: 1397
Size:  107.2 KB
      07-07-2019, 03:05 PM   #12
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDSTYL View Post
That's unfortunate!

I personally wouldn't go through insurance for such little damage. I also wouldn't file a police report as that can also show on a Carfax. Only file a police report if you plan to file an insurance claim.

Find a shop that does S.M.A.R.T. Repair (Small To Medium Area Repair Technique) where they blend into the panel.

Most of the paint transfer will come off / buff out, as for the heavy scuffs / chipped paint you could attempt the repair yourself.

See the bumper scuff repair I did on my G35, and I had no prior body work experience.

For All Pics of Repair Click here

Check out the video tutorial How to fix a scratch & stone chip with spray cans from customspraymods on YouTube, lots more tutorials on his channel.

Attachment 2093896

Attachment 2093897
Holman Body that I recommended does do S.M.A.R.T. Repair.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 09:09 AM   #13
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

I don't know why people freak out so much on something like this being on Carfax. It's an M2 not a rare collector car. Most prospective buyers only want to ensure the car they are looking at hasn't been in a major collision or multiple collisions as a bumper repaint is not going to scare away most prospective buyers. I would get estimates and if the repair is considerably more than your deductible take it to one of the better shops in your area and get a good job done.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 10:25 AM   #14
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

That's a basic repaint. Nothing more.
      07-08-2019, 11:01 AM   #15
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

its up to your insurance to add it to the car fax...it'll probably be flagged as damaged under the carfax but not a accident.

It'll probably $600-800 to repaint...i would just repaint it and install ppf later.

similar thing happened to my ex's civic...but i had ppf installed on her bumper. The ppf ate it but protected the paint.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 09:19 PM   #16
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Enough good advice above. Just keep the picture so you can show perspective buyers the damage. Plastic bumper covers (front and back) are becoming consumables. Anything that even touches them has the potential to require a repair. That spot-blend work will probably cost $600 - 800 depending on the shop (as noted above). With a good shop, you'll never notice the difference.

Sorry to see, though...I know it hurts.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 03:18 AM   #17
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Well, maybe there was an upside to the guy who reversed into the front of my then 2 month old M2 doing so with 'some vigour', as he couldn't claim he didn't realise...

No to the touch up paint. The plastic might also be split around the lower impact point as it appears to have been folded around the end of the bumper carrier. This is fixable too, but the bumper skin probably needs to come off to do it.

Maybe consider just buying a new bumper skin in the correct colour from BMW as the labour to fix the existing damage properly is going to be quite a lot more than than to just replace the bumper skin.

HTH
Appreciate 0