BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > What could have caused this?

06-18-2019, 02:22 PM   #1
paupypaup
Rep
Drives: '18 M2

What could have caused this?

I had a mobile dent repair come to my house and work a scrape on the lower part of the fender on my LBB M2. They matched the color and fixed the affected area pretty well but when they put the clear coat on, the area under the headlights didn’t take the clear coat well - it looked to have ripples as it dried (this is about a foot and a half above where the scrape was).

The repair guy offered to come back in a couple days and buff the clear coat out and he did. However, I left the car at home while he worked on it, and when I came back I saw a “line” going across the lip under the headlight.

Now I call this a line instead of a crack or scratch as I can’t tell exactly what it is. When I run my finger across it I feel a bump - almost as if it’s an uneven layer of clear coat. The mobile repair guys begrudgingly agreed to come back and fix it but they deny that it was their technician that caused it.

My guess is that the tech just buffed the outer lip and missed the inner area but in case it wasn’t the tech’s fault, can anyone tell me what may have caused this?

View post on imgur.com
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 08:35 PM   #2
kfscoll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 MG M2 6MT, ‘15 MW X3 35i

I wonder if they masked off the headlights so the buffer wouldn’t touch them and they accidentally put masking tape on that section of the bumper. When they pulled the tape off, it left that line between the newly-buffed section and the section the tape covered.

Just a guess.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 10:53 PM   #3
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

I would have guessed crack. Happened to my s2000 when it got in an accident.
Appreciate 0