BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > Modify M235i, or save toward M2 upgrade?

04-26-2019, 08:03 AM   #1
sevenmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB f87 M2

Modify M235i, or save toward M2 upgrade?

Help me here, guys. I currently drive an auto M235i, and I'm daydreaming of (AKA obsessing over) a manual OG M2, ideally an LCI with a sunroof in LBB. I can't find one anywhere near me to test drive (I live in the Nashville area and have been looking for months), and am going back and forth between either slowly modding my current car while paying it off aggressively, or just focusing on the pay off and planning to swap out to an M2. My biggest concerns are the (reportedly) harsher ride and decreased fuel economy (my preferred gas station isn't convenient, and I fill up every 5-6 days as it is).

Current mods on the m235i are light, just 15mm spacers all round, coding, and a few light cosmetic mods from the previous owner. If I were to put money into it, I would probably go the route of dinan springs + ride kit, LSD, converted m2 exhaust + diffuser, cp, dp, ic, and bm3 flash, more or less in that order.

Brain tells me that those mods + the price of my current car = m2 territory, and heart says that it wants instant gratification and is annoyed that it can't test drive an M2.

Help!

My car history to date for context:

VW mkV R32 DSG - fast but a bit boring. Loved the size.

94 NA Miata manual with last and modified suspension - loved that car, still regret selling it.

Mazda protege5 manual, modified suspension - meh... Wasn't mad when the engine blew

Scion fr-s manual, stock - loved the feel of the car, just wished it had more power. Sideways everywhere. Awful stereo.

Fiesta ST, manual - fun, but just couldn't love the fwd layout. Also felt really... cheaply made. I miss Android auto though.

M235i auto, mods described in the OP - love my car, but definitely feel the lack of an LSD; the FR-S and Miata spoiled me. I also really miss manual. Don't love the floaty characteristics of the suspension in traction and comfort modes, and don't love the heavy steering in sport mode for daily driving (traction is my go-to). Wish the exhaust sounded like sport+ mode all the time. Wish the back end didn't look so... not good. Love the front end. Hate having to guess which gear I'm in when driving hard and shifting manually. Never feel 100% sure of what the car is going to do when diving into a corner or making a quick left turn at a light when in manual if I don't have time to look down and double-check what gear I'm in. Hate downshifting to second unintentionally.

Also, my wife much prefers riding in the m235i over the fiesta primarily because it is more comfortable, and more supple. I worry that an M2 might be too harsh to take her on road trips with. My car is my daily and is also our long distance missile. The fiesta ST was awful in that regard.

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 09:47 AM   #2
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I went from an M235i to an M2. I didn’t find much difference is ride quality. There is significant difference in handling and acceleration. Gas mileage is only 1-2 mpg less.

I definable like the M2 better than the M235i and I am glad I made the change.

By the way, my M2 is my daily driver.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2019, 10:03 AM   #3
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Well, I wanted a Porsche before the M2. But I knew I would eventually want to mod whatever car I had. So, including mods, the Porsche would've been a wayyy more expensive acquisition. So, if you're the guy that likes modding and always wants more, may be better to stick with the m235i.

It's a unique modded sick m235i vs a stock m2

I would rather go with the sick modded car, cause it's more personal and custom to me.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2019, 10:24 AM   #4
sevenmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Well, I wanted a Porsche before the M2. But I knew I would eventually want to mod whatever car I had. So, including mods, the Porsche would've been a wayyy more expensive acquisition. So, if you're the guy that likes modding and always wants more, may be better to stick with the m235i.

It's a unique modded sick m235i vs a stock m2

I would rather go with the sick modded car, cause it's more personal and custom to me.
I definitely like modding, but want to mod a car that I'm going to keep for a long time. I've been switching cars every 1-2 years, and it's time for that to change. What changes have you made to your M2?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 10:41 AM   #5
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

What would be the price delta to trade up to an M2?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 10:49 AM   #6
sevenmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
What would be the price delta to trade up to an M2?
Realistically, probably in the region of $10 - 15k USD (financed).
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 11:10 AM   #7
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

I would say the same thing to an OG M2 owner trying to mod their car to M2C potentials. If you are trying to modify a lower spec car to the potential of a higher spec version you are always better off just selling and upgrading the car. Always! Over the years I have seen so many people spend thousands over thousands on base cars when they would have saved themselves a lot of money upgrading to the top model.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2019, 11:59 AM   #8
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Yea the upgrades on the m2 vs m240i are better base to workon if keeping car for a long time

Whether you should get a m2 or m2c woukd depend on what your looking for / preferences
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2019, 12:40 PM   #9
sevenmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
Yea the upgrades on the m2 vs m240i are better base to workon if keeping car for a long time

Whether you should get a m2 or m2c woukd depend on what your looking for / preferences
I'm 99% sure that I would prefer the OG M2. More power would be nice, but not a deal-breaker; the 235 feels plenty fast in stock from already for the way I drive. The sound of the S55 doesn't appeal to me, and that's a big draw in that direction. I've never been a big fan of the comp wheels, and it looks like the steering updates can be coded into the OG M2, so that's a moot point as well. The CF strut brace is pretty, but looks like there are aftermarket options.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 12:52 PM   #10
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep

The big brakes are nice on the m2c, the cf brace is nice, the seats are aesthetically nicer, the side mirrors are proper m mirrors,

The m2c does have its benefits if your going into this from scratch
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2019, 01:42 PM   #11
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
The big brakes are nice on the m2c, the cf brace is nice, the seats are aesthetically nicer, the side mirrors are proper m mirrors,

Yeah there's no point in buying an OG M2 if you are going to do stuff like spend $2k for the M2C M mirrors.
Appreciate 2
Poochie9103.00
      04-26-2019, 02:18 PM   #12
sevenmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Yeah there's no point in buying an OG M2 if you are going to do stuff like spend $2k for the M2C M mirrors.
Very true. I'm not really concerned about the M mirrors. Bigger brakes, not sure, but I don't think so. I like the 235 seats a lot, so would be happy to have them in an M2.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 02:23 PM   #13
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Quote:

You can get the AutoID ones for $400 and they are ostensibly the same, minus the LED turn signal. Easier to install as well.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2019, 03:29 PM   #14
magha
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 AW 6 spd

just get the OG m2 and the an FMIC, CP & DP with the BM3 and you're all set. work on cosmetic stuff later or whichever order you prefer.

also the cp,ic,dp and bm3 from your m235 would work on the m2 as well assuming that's an EWG N55 in your 235

18 M2 6 Spd AW - VRSF DP / CP & Race FMIC, ER TIC & GFB DV+ with BM3 Stage 2
Retired 09 135 JB4 G5 ISO w/BEF, N54 Tuning Performance DPs, BMS DCI, ER Charge Pipe
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2019, 03:32 PM   #15
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenmarc View Post
Help me here, guys. I currently drive an auto M235i, and I'm daydreaming of (AKA obsessing over) a manual OG M2, ideally an LCI with a sunroof in LBB. I can't find one anywhere near me to test drive (I live in the Nashville area and have been looking for months), and am going back and forth between either slowly modding my current car while paying it off aggressively, or just focusing on the pay off and planning to swap out to an M2. My biggest concerns are the (reportedly) harsher ride and decreased fuel economy (my preferred gas station isn't convenient, and I fill up every 5-6 days as it is).

Current mods on the m235i are light, just 15mm spacers all round, coding, and a few light cosmetic mods from the previous owner. If I were to put money into it, I would probably go the route of dinan springs + ride kit, LSD, converted m2 exhaust + diffuser, cp, dp, ic, and bm3 flash, more or less in that order.

Brain tells me that those mods + the price of my current car = m2 territory, and heart says that it wants instant gratification and is annoyed that it can't test drive an M2.

Help!

My car history to date for context:

VW mkV R32 DSG - fast but a bit boring. Loved the size.

94 NA Miata manual with last and modified suspension - loved that car, still regret selling it.

Mazda protege5 manual, modified suspension - meh... Wasn't mad when the engine blew

Scion fr-s manual, stock - loved the feel of the car, just wished it had more power. Sideways everywhere. Awful stereo.

Fiesta ST, manual - fun, but just couldn't love the fwd layout. Also felt really... cheaply made. I miss Android auto though.

M235i auto, mods described in the OP - love my car, but definitely feel the lack of an LSD; the FR-S and Miata spoiled me. I also really miss manual. Don't love the floaty characteristics of the suspension in traction and comfort modes, and don't love the heavy steering in sport mode for daily driving (traction is my go-to). Wish the exhaust sounded like sport+ mode all the time. Wish the back end didn't look so... not good. Love the front end. Hate having to guess which gear I'm in when driving hard and shifting manually. Never feel 100% sure of what the car is going to do when diving into a corner or making a quick left turn at a light when in manual if I don't have time to look down and double-check what gear I'm in. Hate downshifting to second unintentionally.

Also, my wife much prefers riding in the m235i over the fiesta primarily because it is more comfortable, and more supple. I worry that an M2 might be too harsh to take her on road trips with. My car is my daily and is also our long distance missile. The fiesta ST was awful in that regard.

If you had manual m235i I say keep
It but if auto fughgetaboutit! Get the real manual. FDAT. Every car in the future will be automatic. Get a manual while you can or you will be kicking yourself when they are not available.
Appreciate 2
Poochie9103.00
      04-26-2019, 04:28 PM   #16
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep

Youll def need to upgrade the charge pipe from stock
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2019, 04:42 PM   #17
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenmarc View Post
Get a manual while you can or you will be kicking yourself when they are not available.

Thought about it many times over the endless auto vs manual threads and I've concluded that I would even take a manual 230i over an automatic M2.

No criticism to those that prefer a DCT or can't drive a manual but a clutch-controllable vehicle is soo much more fun to drive than a car that's just involves steering a wheel like it's a boat in water.

The only vehicle I would prefer in an automatic is a cruiser like maybe a big body Benz, any BMW SUV or maybe a RR so I could admire the Skylight while I'm rolling
Appreciate 2
nachob2312.00
      04-26-2019, 04:57 PM   #18
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by magha View Post
just get the OG m2 and the an FMIC, CP & DP with the BM3 and you're all set. work on cosmetic stuff later or whichever order you prefer.

also the cp,ic,dp and bm3 from your m235 would work on the m2 as well assuming that's an EWG N55 in your 235
Good point. He could upgrade the m235i then if he's still not happy he can swap to a m2.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 05:39 PM   #19
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Ok, I will have a different perspective than most.

I would keep the M235i, mod it how you like, enjoy it, pay it off, then get the G87 M2 when it comes out.

This is an M2 forum so you will get biased opinions. I had an M235i and IMO it's not the slouch most on this forum make it out to be.

My story is, I really wanted an M2 form the beginning, but settled for a M235i, got a Focus RS, before finally getting a M2.

Long story short, in my first scenario, I should have listened to others on this forum and just got an M2 in 2016. Second scenario, I should have kept my M235i once I had it, with the mods I had done to it. I had the Dinan springs, intake, exhaust and resonator delete. Some wouldn't believe it, but the combination of all those things really changed the characteristics of the car in a positive way IMO. Reading the things you are going to do with the car, I think you would really like it.

I also had a staggered set of MPSS tires with VMR wheels for the summer and swapped them out during winter months with the stock runflats. I also ran spacers with the stock tire set after installing the Dinan springs. The M2 does ride a little stiffer than the M235i, but it's not that drastic from my experience.

On a side note; The Focus RS was a really fun car also. If I were rich I'd kept it along with the M2.

Having said all that, I love my M2 and it's no joke. It's more planted & tighter when pushed compared to my M235i, and more fun to drive. It also looks nicer and more aggressive, which goes without saying. I did one HPDE in my M235i and it was really fun. For regular people with not a lot of track experience, these modern BMWs really do a lot of electronic trickery in the background to save you, even in a M235i with an open diff. BMW sets these cars up well for the everyday person.

I can't imagine what driving my M2 at Road Atlanta will be like. I'm almost scared I'll have too much confidence because how much the car can seemingly take. The M2 is so bad-a$$, that it doesn't feel that much different than my Focus RS did, which is AWD. It in fact feels more planted and has less body roll.
Appreciate 3
Poochie9103.00
Bobby P88.50
      04-26-2019, 06:01 PM   #20
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet View Post

I would keep the M235i, mod it how you like, enjoy it, pay it off, then get the G87 M2 when it comes out.

This is an M2 forum so you will get biased opinions. I had an M235i and IMO it's not the slouch most on this forum make it out to be.

My story is, I really wanted an M2 form the beginning, but settled for a M235i, got a Focus RS, before finally getting a M2.

Long story short, in my first scenario, I should have listened to others on this forum and just got an M2 in 2016. Second scenario, I should have kept my M235i once I had it, with the mods I had done to it. I had the Dinan springs, intake, exhaust and resonator delete. Some wouldn't believe it, but the combination of all those things really changed the characteristics of the car in a positive way IMO. Reading the things you are going to do with the car, I think you would really like it.

I also had a staggered set of MPSS tires with VMR wheels for the summer and swapped them out during winter months with the stock runflats. I also ran spacers with the stock tire set after installing the Dinan springs. The M2 does ride a little stiffer than the M235i, but it's not that drastic from my experience.

On a side note; The Focus RS was a really fun car also. If I were rich I'd kept it along with the M2.

Having said all that, I love my M2 and it's no joke. It's more planted & tighter when pushed compared to my M235i, and more fun to drive. It also looks nicer and more aggressive, which goes without saying. I did one HPDE in my M235i and it was really fun. For regular people with not a lot of track experience, these modern BMWs really do a lot of electronic trickery in the background to save you, even in a M235i with an open diff. BMW sets these cars up well for the everyday person.

I can't imagine what driving my M2 at Road Atlanta will be like. I'm almost scared I'll have too much confidence because how much the car can seemingly take. The M2 is so bad-a$$, that it doesn't feel that much different than my Focus RS did, which is AWD. It in fact feels more planted and has less body roll.
Great perspective. Folks here act like the designated M vehicle can run circles around their standard BMW vehicles, which is not even close to true. Just check any verses YouTube video to confirm this fact.

What really handicaps most standard BMW as oppose to their M counterpart, such as the 340/240i, is the intentional lack of a mechanical LSD and smaller sized rear wheels.

Throw on a mechanical LSD and some bigger wheels on any equivalent-powered BMW to level the playing field and I bet any standard vehicle would handle just as good.

I love the M designed vehicles but when you break them down to a science, they're practically just standard BMW that where emphasized with some components skewed towards hard-core driving or track usage, which is overkill for most owners who only daily drive their vehicle here and there.
Appreciate 2
qnet681.50
      04-26-2019, 09:23 PM   #21
sevenmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet View Post

Fair points, and probably a lot wiser in the long run.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 10:00 PM   #22
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Depends on what you want to do with it. If you want to take it to the track the M2 suspension, power and differential will pay off nicely over the M235i. If your not going to the track and you like the M235i I would probably stick with it but not mod it. Modding cars is a great way to burn money because modded cars don't demand a premium whatsoever.
Appreciate 0