BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Ohlins vs M Coilovers.

10-28-2017, 04:19 PM   #23
Saanen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM 6SPD, VW e Golf (DD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by just blaze View Post
Looking forward to your review! thanks!
This is a two part review(edited 4/21)...I had a set of Ohlins installed yesterday with lower spring ratings 80/160N/mm (vs standard 90/190N/mm) and set them at 17 clicks or medium firm (ie 1-5 for track; 5-10 for canyons; 15+ for street). My first impression is they are awesome and at the current settings feel very OEM as far as firmness; but the car feels more planted. When hitting a bump the car is far less 'bouncy' and settles right back in without nearly as much rebound.
So it was a big expense for only a distinct improvement in handling characteristics...but it is hard to improve on what I think is already an excellent handling suspension. I will write another review in a couple of weeks once I have really pushed it both at 17 clicks and again set on a very firm 5 click setting and hit the local back road run.
I suspect the real gains will be when it is set on 5 clicks and I hit the track. But so far I am quite happy I made the move.

Last edited by Saanen; 04-22-2018 at 08:52 AM..
Appreciate 5
M2taz81.50
geogerf115.50
emargul204.50
bmwv107.50
Drew41561.50
      11-03-2017, 10:55 AM   #24
M2taz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanen View Post
This is a two part review...I had a set of Ohlins installed yesterday with lower spring ratings 80/160N/mm (vs standard 90/190N/mm) and set them at 15 clicks or medium soft (ie 1-5 for track; 5-10 for canyons; 10-15+ for street). My first impression is they are awesome and at the current settings feel very OEM as far as firmness; but the car feels more planted. When hitting a bump the car is far less 'bouncy' and settles right back in without nearly as much rebound.
So it was a big expense for only a small to medium* improvement in handling characteristics...but it is hard to improve on what I think is already an excellent handling suspension. I will write another review in a couple of weeks once I have really pushed it both at 15 clicks and again set on a firm 5 click setting and hit the local back road run.
I suspect the real gains will be when it is set on 5 clicks and I hit the track. But so far I am quite happy I made the move.
Thanks for providing your impressions! I have the same setup sitting in my garage waiting to be installed next week. What you described is exactly what I'm also looking for in a suspension so sounds perfect! Keep us posted with further reviews and settings.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 01:09 PM   #25
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Even a car like the M2 it shouldn't be hard to take off 2 seconds or more with a properly installed and setup high quality coilover kit. Some drivers are much faster on softer rates and don't see any gains with higher rates.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 09:47 PM   #26
M2taz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
This is a two part review...I had a set of Ohlins installed yesterday with lower spring ratings 80/160N/mm (vs standard 90/190N/mm) and set them at 15 clicks or medium soft (ie 1-5 for track; 5-10 for canyons; 10-15+ for street). My first impression is they are awesome and at the current settings feel very OEM as far as firmness; but the car feels more planted. When hitting a bump the car is far less 'bouncy' and settles right back in without nearly as much rebound.
So it was a big expense for only a small to medium* improvement in handling characteristics...but it is hard to improve on what I think is already an excellent handling suspension. I will write another review in a couple of weeks once I have really pushed it both at 15 clicks and again set on a firm 5 click setting and hit the local back road run.
I just got my Ohlin's installed but still messing with ride hight, what was yours stock and currently? The shop said to give it a few days and drive it around first to let things settle. I forgot to take the stock measurements but know Ohlin stated 10mm lower.

Other than that I'm liking the improvements but haven't been able to really test them out. They're set to 12 clicks
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 07:42 PM   #27
Saanen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

My ride height was dropped by 1 cm as spec'd, I did not write down the exact measurements as the car was also corner balanced; but it is definitely a little lower. I am thoroughly enjoying the adjustability....great to be able to go from super stiff ready for the track to slightly firm, (edited)not quite as soft as stock...no matter what setting these dampers really are superior and nearly eliminate any bounce which used to happen with any bigger bumps or road undulations.

Last edited by Saanen; 04-22-2018 at 08:48 AM..
Appreciate 1
dcmac438.50
      03-07-2018, 08:25 PM   #28
tjmark
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
My ride height was dropped by 1 cm as spec'd, I did not write down the exact measurements as the car was also corner balanced; but it is definitely a little lower. I am thoroughly enjoying the adjustability....great to be able to go from super stiff ready for the track to slightly softer, more plush that stock...no matter what setting these dampers really are superior and nearly eliminate any bounce which used to happen with any bigger bumps or road undulations.
I wanted to ask you how you felt about the Ohlins. I just bought a car and really am not enjoying the stock suspension. The bunchiness is driving me nuts, almost making me sea sick. In fact I've already considered trading the car in. I'm hopeful that your suspension set up might help me enjoy the car? You can reach me at thadmarkham@yahoo.com
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 08:15 PM   #29
Saanen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm not certain, but I suspect running 70N/mm front and 140N/mm rear would make it slightly softer than stock and way more settled in the bumps...

At the softest setting my set up is slightly stiffer than stock, but far more settled in the bumps....which really was an upgrade for driving back roads...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 06:00 AM   #30
Bt12
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5,2018 m2, 2018 x1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmark View Post
I wanted to ask you how you felt about the Ohlins. I just bought a car and really am not enjoying the stock suspension. The bunchiness is driving me nuts, almost making me sea sick. In fact I've already considered trading the car in. I'm hopeful that your suspension set up might help me enjoy the car? You can reach me at thadmarkham@yahoo.com
I don’t know how it gets better for you bro.... sorry to hear. Stock is less rough. Having greater Feedback is great for enthusiast but most people would hate it
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 12:54 AM   #31
Saanen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just sharing my observations after my first track day as a newbie....in a word AWESOME!!!! the Ohlins and suspension geometry are really extraordinary!!!...even given my lack of experience (or skill) my car felt so at home on the track, so settled and unflappable....dominant!!!
Now I am torn as to any next steps(besides signing up for more track days!!!)...think I will go for the Apex 18"squared setup and see if I can maintain the track prowess and get a tiny bit more comfort on the street....hmmm, vs trying the 70/140 Nmm spring set I am contemplating....anyone out there running Ohlins with 70/140Nmm?
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2018, 03:06 PM   #32
just blaze
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Alpine White

Quote:
Just sharing my observations after my first track day as a newbie....in a word AWESOME!!!! the Ohlins and suspension geometry are really extraordinary!!!...even given my lack of experience (or skill) my car felt so at home on the track, so settled and unflappable....dominant!!!
Now I am torn as to any next steps(besides signing up for more track days!!!)...think I will go for the Apex 18"squared setup and see if I can maintain the track prowess and get a tiny bit more comfort on the street....hmmm, vs trying the 70/140 Nmm spring set I am contemplating....anyone out there running Ohlins with 70/140Nmm?
That's awesome Saanen Did you adjust the Ohlins through different setting during different sessions? Also, did you go with stock brake pads? How did your stock tires hold up? Planning on going to the track in the next 2 months.
      04-12-2018, 07:44 PM   #33
Saanen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by just blaze View Post
That's awesome Saanen Did you adjust the Ohlins through different setting during different sessions? Also, did you go with stock brake pads? How did your stock tires hold up? Planning on going to the track in the next 2 months.
I was learning so much about the cars dynamics I left it at 3 clicks (pretty dang firm)the entire time. I went with stock pads for my first day as I figured Sears Point is primarily a turn track and not much opportunity to overheat the brakes, and I am still not pushing the limits...just gradually tip toeing up toward he limits which are fairly high....
I think I put 3,000+ miles of wear on them in one afternoon!!!!...I am already starting my savings account for new pads ( I am torn between a dual purpose pad ie Ferodo DS2500 vs a track pad is Pagid 29) and some track wheels ie apex 9.5 18" square set up....

You have to get your beast on the track, it is really at home on the track...a total blast!!!!
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2018, 07:18 PM   #34
bmwv
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i Manual, M2 LBB DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
So how is the undesteer oversreer balance on the car with the 80 160 springs?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 11:03 PM   #35
nomade30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 M2, 91 325, 05 DMAX

From a non track experienced person that drives a shit load of awesome cars for work:

I installed my standard rate spring ohlins kit, and I can't explain how well the shocks work on the road. Sure the ride is a little bit stiffer, but it's not unbearable like most coil overs. I very happy I went with ohlins over just springs and shocks. For the amount of driving I do on the freeway I might change the rear springs to be a notch softer, but I'll wait until I can get some good canyon drives in and see how it feels. Is there a good documented thread about fender height and bump steer? I only set the ohlins to be 0.75" lower, which I think is the perfect height for me. I was also concerned about bump steer that I have experienced in previous BMW's from going too low.

Also I would recommend anyone going with the ohlins kit to order an extra set of front shock dust protectors as the rears don't really fit well, but the fronts on the rear fit perfect but require some prying to get on the shock.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 08:40 AM   #36
Saanen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

It seems relatively unchanged; still just a bit of oversteer ...I assume there is some adjustability if needed; but at this point a wee bit of oversteer works well for me as I am not really spending much time at the limits....on that point, mind you it was my first time at the track but the first half of the day I thought I was close to the limit only to realize later in the day I was nowhere close. This car is really amazing, as my lap time went down I started realizing just how stable it was and that I could push substantially higher with good control.
More track time...and an Apex 18" x 9.5" square set up are in my future!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 04:36 PM   #37
Bazgab
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

My Ohlins are on the way, can't wait to install them. I have the Ohlin springs at the default spring rates and a set of Swift springs (80 N/mm front and 160 N/mm rear) coming with them. I am going to run the Swift springs first to see how I like them.

Also ordered some Vorshlag camber plates so that I don't have to worry about that in the future.
      04-30-2018, 04:37 PM   #38
Yiruna
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, C63s, 718 Cayman GT4

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazgab View Post
My Ohlins are on the way, can't wait to install them. I have the Ohlin springs at the default spring rates and a set of Swift springs (80 N/mm front and 160 N/mm rear) coming with them. I am going to run the Swift springs first to see how I like them.

Also ordered some Vorshlag camber plates so that I don't have to worry about that in the future.
Good choice on the springs and camber plates. Tried and true combo
      05-01-2018, 10:27 AM   #39
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY18 X3 M40i, MY18 M3 ZCP

My Ohlins experience

Installed my R&T along with GC camber plates (2.6 camber at the front and 1.6 ish stock at the rear) about 3 weeks ago with corner balancing close to 50/50 diagonal. (I believe it was 49.87)
Spring rates are Ohlins' recommended rates 90 N/mm front and 190 N/mm rear.

Never had it softened but only driven with 5 clicks front and the rear.
Man.. it rides hard but it will get you great cornering so it gives you the confidence. I personally don't mind riding hard on street (it is my DD as well), but it is more important for me to have agile handling and cornering even just rolling daily bases.
I thought I was going to put aftermarket sway bar + toe links, but I don't think I need them. However, things could be different after my track experience.
I haven't tracked mine and will be tracking on the last week of May. I will post another review after one full day 6 hours sessions (Will need to mount new FMIC).

Have a friend around my area who had same spring rates but 20 clicks all around. He said that the ride is "noticeably" better on bumpy uneven payment that we have in Toronto, Canada. Controls better above potholes and softer than stock but still have good cornering and better launch grip as rear will have more traction due to softer damper setting.

Had Contis at my delivery so changed tires to MPS4S (255F/ 275R) and certainly they all deliver great traction and just enough for M2 to deliver its power to the ground.

Contis + stock suspension gave 1+2 gear (6MT) wheel spin until 2nd gear goes above 5k rpm (traction light on all the way). Current setup basically reduces such wheel spin and experiencing also blink of spin at 1st gear until about 4k rpm. No spin in gear transition from 1 to 2 and steadily delivers the toque to the ground at 2nd gear regardless what rpm you are hitting.

Yes, roll was there with stock setup at some aggressive cornering and I can simply tell the roll isn't much issue anymore. I did some maneuver test at empty parking lot (like you see one of the cone test you may have seen from different youtube video clips) and YES it does deliver you the great balance.
One thing I am not sure about is long high speed cornering at track sessions and autocross. Rolling at high G numbers with high speed won't be just simply solved by having harder damper setting. This is only my question that I currently have. Solution? As I mentioned, I will be (if I still think it is needed) putting anti-roll sway bar and toe links.
You can set more neutral cornering if you don't like over-steer that nature of our F87 has, you can lose your damper clicks at the rear (or tighten the front clicks) or setting your sway bar setting differently. But this depends on your driving behavior. Finding the perfect setting for me will be another fun journey.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 3
Bazgab132.00
Yiruna393.50
Saanen180.50
      08-20-2018, 02:52 PM   #40
crispy tofu
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alscks0414 View Post
Installed my R&T along with GC camber plates (2.6 camber at the front and 1.6 ish stock at the rear) about 3 weeks ago with corner balancing close to 50/50 diagonal. (I believe it was 49.87)
Spring rates are Ohlins' recommended rates 90 N/mm front and 190 N/mm rear.

Never had it softened but only driven with 5 clicks front and the rear.
Man.. it rides hard but it will get you great cornering so it gives you the confidence. I personally don't mind riding hard on street (it is my DD as well), but it is more important for me to have agile handling and cornering even just rolling daily bases.
I thought I was going to put aftermarket sway bar + toe links, but I don't think I need them. However, things could be different after my track experience.
I haven't tracked mine and will be tracking on the last week of May. I will post another review after one full day 6 hours sessions (Will need to mount new FMIC).

Have a friend around my area who had same spring rates but 20 clicks all around. He said that the ride is "noticeably" better on bumpy uneven payment that we have in Toronto, Canada. Controls better above potholes and softer than stock but still have good cornering and better launch grip as rear will have more traction due to softer damper setting.

Had Contis at my delivery so changed tires to MPS4S (255F/ 275R) and certainly they all deliver great traction and just enough for M2 to deliver its power to the ground.

Contis + stock suspension gave 1+2 gear (6MT) wheel spin until 2nd gear goes above 5k rpm (traction light on all the way). Current setup basically reduces such wheel spin and experiencing also blink of spin at 1st gear until about 4k rpm. No spin in gear transition from 1 to 2 and steadily delivers the toque to the ground at 2nd gear regardless what rpm you are hitting.

Yes, roll was there with stock setup at some aggressive cornering and I can simply tell the roll isn't much issue anymore. I did some maneuver test at empty parking lot (like you see one of the cone test you may have seen from different youtube video clips) and YES it does deliver you the great balance.
One thing I am not sure about is long high speed cornering at track sessions and autocross. Rolling at high G numbers with high speed won't be just simply solved by having harder damper setting. This is only my question that I currently have. Solution? As I mentioned, I will be (if I still think it is needed) putting anti-roll sway bar and toe links.
You can set more neutral cornering if you don't like over-steer that nature of our F87 has, you can lose your damper clicks at the rear (or tighten the front clicks) or setting your sway bar setting differently. But this depends on your driving behavior. Finding the perfect setting for me will be another fun journey.

Hope this helps!
How do you access the damper adjustment for the rear shocks? Did you have to tear out the trunk carpet liner?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 04:00 PM   #41
eatingpizzainthef87rules
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM55 View Post
How do you access the damper adjustment for the rear shocks? Did you have to tear out the trunk carpet liner?
Ohlins damping adjustment is at the bottom, you can reach it by kneeling and reaching under the car
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 10:25 AM   #42
Blip Bavarian
salivator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 GT4, 14 X5 V8 & 91 E30 LS1

I've read elsewhere that the Ohlins R&T require rebuilds every 15k miles. Is this the case with the M2 setup? A bit much for a "street" setup. Seems to be the only downside to this kit, if true.
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2018, 06:42 PM   #43
crispy tofu
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatingpizzainthef87rules View Post
Ohlins damping adjustment is at the bottom, you can reach it by kneeling and reaching under the car
Edit: thanks. found confirmation on this thread too:
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1485758

Last edited by crispy tofu; 09-03-2018 at 04:37 PM.. Reason: found confirmation on other thread
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 07:49 PM   #44
gsrbri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blip Bavarian View Post
I've read elsewhere that the Ohlins R&T require rebuilds every 15k miles. Is this the case with the M2 setup? A bit much for a "street" setup. Seems to be the only downside to this kit, if true.
Where did you hear about the Ohlins rebuild interval? Definitely not the R&T model

I suppose if you race the car, or run 15+ events per year, that may be the case. However, I would suggest monitoring the tubes/reservoir and address as necessary.

I'd estimate you could run them for a long time if just street driving
Appreciate 0