BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Struck massive metal jack

09-12-2019, 07:45 AM   #1
armyof1one1
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Struck massive metal jack

On my way to work this morning on a major interchange between two highways in Boston I ran over a metal jack that got lodged under the front of my car. I didn't see it as the vehicles in front of me drove right over it

The cars in front of me and I were not going very fast and I only dragged it a few feet I think. A tow truck had to come to lift up my front end as the M2 has no jack and it was unsafe anyway.

I'm going to thoroughly inspect when I have time but I'm not familiar with engine components in this area where it struck and can't see with the cowl there. Anything I should look out for? I want to make sure I feel safe on the track...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 09:27 AM   #2
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I would take my M2 to the dealer and have them check that no suspension components got bent or if there is any other damage. Sorry to hear about your bad luck hitting the jack.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 09:30 AM   #3
CTSean
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LCI BSM MT M2

This is not a professional opinion but, based on where and how it looks like you hit it, I don't think it would have done much of anything, besides the obvious scraping of the aluminum skidplate (I know it's probably technically not a skip plate)

The area above the end of the threaded rod is all covered in panel, so if it did kick up into the undercarriage, you should see evidence on that panel. Likewise, if it were to have been more sideways when you hit it so that it could hit the suspension arms, you'd likely see obvious damage - like the skidplate shows.

EDIT - I do agree with the suggestion of getting it up on a lift and inspected though
Appreciate 2
ried791.50
      09-12-2019, 04:12 PM   #4
GerardzM
First Lieutenant
Rep

No S55 in your future...that could have ended badly!

Based on the provided pictures I do believe the best case scenario played out, that stiffening plate did its job and protected the important stuff.

Of course do still lift the car and inspect the entire underside.
Keep us posted if you find anything.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 06:59 PM   #5
armyof1one1
Rep

Thanks all. Someone pointed out that it looks like a scaffold piece and I agree.

Nonetheless I'm going to put on ramps this weekend and remove the plate for inspection and may also have a dealer look as well. Will let you know if I find any damage.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 10:28 PM   #6
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

From what I can see it probably didn't do any damage (could have been a lot worse). Surprised you needed a tow truck for that -- I bet you could have driven up on a couple scraps of wood with the front tires and got enough clearance to slide it out.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 06:18 AM   #7
1mm2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Lucky you weren't in an M2C.

The oil cooler damage could have been ugly.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 08:17 AM   #8
armyof1one1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
From what I can see it probably didn't do any damage (could have been a lot worse). Surprised you needed a tow truck for that -- I bet you could have driven up on a couple scraps of wood with the front tires and got enough clearance to slide it out.
The tow truck was called by the state police. Agreed I could have solved for it if it wasn't such a dangerous high volume interchange during rush hour.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 08:34 AM   #9
DarthFader
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2, 135i, F23 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyof1one1 View Post
Thanks all. Someone pointed out that it looks like a scaffold piece and I agree.

Nonetheless I'm going to put on ramps this weekend and remove the plate for inspection and may also have a dealer look as well. Will let you know if I find any damage.
FYI, in case you weren't aware, I believe the stiffening plate uses stretch bolts and in theory should be replaced once removed. I know people re-use them though.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 10:58 AM   #10
armyof1one1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthFader View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyof1one1 View Post

FYI, in case you weren't aware, I believe the stiffening plate uses stretch bolts and in theory should be replaced once removed. I know people re-use them though.
Thanks for the heads up. I'm about to leave BMW service and thankfully no damage after a thorough inspection so that's a big relief
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 01:40 PM   #11
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Also check whether the limited slip differential case (featuring the hallmark 'cooling fins') was not hit by the obstacle.
      09-14-2019, 10:37 AM   #12
TMR013
Opus Angelus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2 Coupe

Looks like you may have been lucky. I had a similar situation with my 135 and an errant block of concrete. But that ripped open my tranny pan.

Get it checked out.
Appreciate 0