BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > ► APEX Forged Wheels ARC-8R & EC-7R

08-23-2019, 11:54 PM   #23
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Expert@ApexRaceParts

Just seeking a bit of clarity. The deleted thread alluded to new styles being added to the forged line. What I don't understand does this mean new styles or existing apex styles being offered in forged.

I'm asking because the M2C fitment is preorder from about Q4 but would be great to understand if new designs will be released around this period. It would be disappointing if you are one of the preorders and a new style is released that may be more appealing to the buyer.
      08-26-2019, 10:26 AM   #24
PilotxERAU
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR RIZK View Post
Expert@ApexRaceParts

Just seeking a bit of clarity. The deleted thread alluded to new styles being added to the forged line. What I don't understand does this mean new styles or existing apex styles being offered in forged.

I'm asking because the M2C fitment is preorder from about Q4 but would be great to understand if new designs will be released around this period. It would be disappointing if you are one of the preorders and a new style is released that may be more appealing to the buyer.
Show us the new designs!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 05:39 PM   #25
Expert@ApexWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: M3

Quote:
Expert@ApexRaceParts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotxERAU View Post
Show us the new designs!!!
I apologize for the lack of clarity in my previous update post. When I mentioned the "new designs and finishes", I was referring specifically to the EC-7R and ARC-8R designs in the Brushed Clear and Polished finishes.

As for the Q4 preorders, the wheel designs and finish options will be the same as they are now. No new additions in that regard.

-Geirsen
      08-30-2019, 06:26 PM   #26
Expert@ApexWheels
Rep

Hi Everyone,

We have just updated the original post with two brand new EC-7R and ARC-8R videos. These videos include new on-car footage for both wheel designs, showcasing the new wheels in various lighting conditions and angles. These videos are definitely worth a watch, especially if you have been craving to see some more content involving the new forged wheel designs.

Enjoy!

-Geirsen
      08-31-2019, 01:27 AM   #27
PilotxERAU
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expert@ApexRaceParts View Post
Hi Everyone,

We have just updated the original post with two brand new EC-7R and ARC-8R videos. These videos include new on-car footage for both wheel designs, showcasing the new wheels in various lighting conditions and angles. These videos are definitely worth a watch, especially if you have been craving to see some more content involving the new forged wheel designs.

Enjoy!

-Geirsen
Very nice. Keep the content coming! 👍🏼
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 03:05 PM   #28
Expert@ApexWheels
Rep

We have clearance, Clarence.

Our original flow formed ARC-8 was our first wheel design, and utilizes an older barrel profile that can have compromised brake clearance with certain BBK setups. With the forged ARC-8R, we took everything we learned from the original ARC-8 and applied it to the ground-up development of our all-new profiles and dies. This resulted in a tremendous increase in brake clearance when compared to the flow formed design, with an inner barrel that can clear all the way up to the colossal 380mm Brembo BBK with ease.

To learn more about the obstacles we faced when developing these zero-compromise barrel profiles and dies, along with how we worked to overcome them, please feel free to check out our blog post that dives deep into the topic of forged wheel brake clearances.
https://www.apexraceparts.com/blog/w...ar-big-brakes/

To help showcase some of the new ARC-8R features in action, our friend Kurt (@lsrteg) brought out his incredibly clean and seriously well-equipped E46 M3 for a photoshoot. Sitting on a set of 18x10” ET25 ARC-8R forged wheels finished in Brushed Clear, this E46 M3 had us picking our jaws up off the floor. Just look at how the all-new ARC-8R barrels completely dwarf the massive 355mm Stoptech calipers!

If you would like to read more about Kurt’s E46 M3, please feel free to check out our blog feature on his car, complete with a full build breakdown.

https://www.apexraceparts.com/blog/b...forged-wheels/

-Geirsen
      09-04-2019, 07:04 PM   #29
twintiga
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Great news! Any chance there will be 18 inch clearance for the M2c?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 11:15 AM   #30
Expert@ApexWheels
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by twintiga View Post
Great news! Any chance there will be 18 inch clearance for the M2c?
Thanks for the post! Because the US-market M2C comes standard with the 2NH brake package (400mm front rotors, 380mm rear rotors, compared to 380mm/370mm of standard M2), it will unfortunately always require 19" wheels, at least on the front.

To combat this, there some aftermarket brake setups that can be used which allow 18" wheels to fit on a US-market M2C. (See info on the AP Racing kit here: https://www.essexparts.com/news-blog...m2-competition)

Many non-US markets did not receive the big brakes as standard, so it's still possible to run 18" wheels on those configurations.

--Dylan
      09-13-2019, 03:59 PM   #31
Expert@ApexWheels
Rep

Tires are only as effective as the wheels they are mounted on.

You can buy the stickiest tire on the market, but if the grip level exceeds that of the tire’s bead, you’ll end up with a tire that slips around the wheel. Under hard braking and acceleration, this slippage can cause unwanted wheel rotation within the tire. This rotation can upset the tire’s overall balance, as the wheel weights have shifted from their original position. For those who have to drive home from the track and commute to work the next day, a vibration or wobble through the steering wheel could potentially be felt due to this imbalance. In a situation such as this, the affected wheels and tires would require rebalancing to fix the issue.

At APEX, we are at the track and on the forums, placing ourselves at the center of discussion for topics such as these. While wheel knurling isn’t a new and groundbreaking concept, we saw an opportunity to improve upon it from our previous designs, in a way that best supports the constantly growing demand for more grip. Some wheel manufacturers add knurling simply to include it in their list of “features”. However, it is clear this “feature” can be lacking in performance when the knurled edges are smoothed over by a layer of slick glossy paint, effectively reducing the functionality of the knurling.

For our new ARC-8R and EC-7R wheels, we wanted to focus on reducing unwanted tire slippage as much as we could. The knurling pattern on these new forged wheels is specifically designed to maintain the highest amount of grip we could achieve with the bead of the tire. On top of that, we ensured that the knurled edge of the wheel is completely protected during the painting process. This leaves us with a sharp and deep toothed knurling, that isn’t compromised by the manufacturing process in any way whatsoever.

-Geirsen
      09-13-2019, 05:32 PM   #32
PilotxERAU
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Tires are only as effective as the wheels they are mounted on.

You can buy the stickiest tire on the market, but if the grip level exceeds that of the tire’s bead, you’ll end up with a tire that slips around the wheel. Under hard braking and acceleration, this slippage can cause unwanted wheel rotation within the tire. This rotation can upset the tire’s overall balance, as the wheel weights have shifted from their original position. For those who have to drive home from the track and commute to work the next day, a vibration or wobble through the steering wheel could potentially be felt due to this imbalance. In a situation such as this, the affected wheels and tires would require rebalancing to fix the issue.

At APEX, we are at the track and on the forums, placing ourselves at the center of discussion for topics such as these. While wheel knurling isn’t a new and groundbreaking concept, we saw an opportunity to improve upon it from our previous designs, in a way that best supports the constantly growing demand for more grip. Some wheel manufacturers add knurling simply to include it in their list of “features”. However, it is clear this “feature” can be lacking in performance when the knurled edges are smoothed over by a layer of slick glossy paint, effectively reducing the functionality of the knurling.

For our new ARC-8R and EC-7R wheels, we wanted to focus on reducing unwanted tire slippage as much as we could. The knurling pattern on these new forged wheels is specifically designed to maintain the highest amount of grip we could achieve with the bead of the tire. On top of that, we ensured that the knurled edge of the wheel is completely protected during the painting process. This leaves us with a sharp and deep toothed knurling, that isn’t compromised by the manufacturing process in any way whatsoever.

-Geirsen
Another reason you guys will get my continued business and one that sets you apart from the posers.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 01:14 PM   #33
Proctor750
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3

What is the projected dollar per wheel difference in the recently released flow formed EC7's in M2 competition fitment and the upcoming forged variant?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 04:41 PM   #34
Expert@ApexWheels
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proctor750 View Post
What is the projected dollar per wheel difference in the recently released flow formed EC7's in M2 competition fitment and the upcoming forged variant?
Thanks for the post! Pricing info will be announced as we get closer to launching the next group buy for these sizes as many details are still being worked out.

--Dylan
      09-17-2019, 05:06 PM   #35
Expert@ApexWheels
Rep

Our friend Chris (@chrisreardon91) dropped by the shop with his purpose-built E46 M3 track car to get a taste of what the forged EC-7R has to offer. With a 18x10” ET25 square setup wrapped in 275/35-18 Toyo Proxes R888R tires, these Brushed Clear EC-7R wheels not only look the part, but they also provide some serious functionality out on the track as well.

To learn more about Chris’s E46 M3, along with a full break down of his build, please feel free to visit our feature on his car here: https://www.apexraceparts.com/blog/b...forged-wheels/

09-17-2019, 08:21 PM   #36
Chronumn
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Garage List
Sorry if this was clarified in the top post. Will the ARC-8R fit on the M2 comp in 19" sizing?

Instagram: Chirard
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 10:56 AM   #37
PilotxERAU
First Lieutenant
Rep

The meat up front
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 01:12 AM   #38
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronumn View Post
Sorry if this was clarified in the top post. Will the ARC-8R fit on the M2 comp in 19" sizing?
My understanding is they are designed to clear the Competitions 2NH BBKs
      09-19-2019, 07:04 AM   #39
PilotxERAU
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
My understanding is they are designed to clear the Competitions 2NH BBKs
Yes sir.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 05:57 PM   #40
Expert@ApexWheels
Rep

Finished in Satin Black, these 18” ARC-8R forged wheels compliment this Sakhir Orange F82 M4 with a tasteful, yet menacing aesthetic. While our original flow formed 18” ARC-8 wheels lack the barrel clearance necessary to clear the standard brakes on the F8X M3/4, our forged 18” ARC-8R wheels have a new and improved barrel profile, allowing them to clear all the way up to the 380mm Brembo BBK with ease.

09-19-2019, 10:10 PM   #41
PilotxERAU
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Finished in Satin Black, these 18” ARC-8R forged wheels compliment this Sakhir Orange F82 M4 with a tasteful, yet menacing aesthetic. While our original flow formed 18” ARC-8 wheels lack the barrel clearance necessary to clear the standard brakes on the F8X M3/4, our forged 18” ARC-8R wheels have a new and improved barrel profile, allowing them to clear all the way up to the 380mm Brembo BBK with ease.

Keep it comin!
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2019, 05:08 PM   #42
Expert@ApexWheels
Rep

From the classic and boxy E36, to the modern and aggressive F80. The EC-7R can compliment just about any generation of M3.

09-26-2019, 04:40 AM   #43
PilotxERAU
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
From the classic and boxy E36, to the modern and aggressive F80. The EC-7R can compliment just about any generation of M3.

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 09:05 AM   #44
DOMs335D
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1991 318is; 2017 M2

Garage List
1991 BMW 318is  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW 335is  [0.00]
I don't even know why I look elsewhere for rims anymore. I already have a set of 18" EC7's for the track but I have to say these are a step above. Do you have a timeframe when the 19"s will be delivered if we pre-order in Q4?
Appreciate 0