BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Apple Carplay topics

09-04-2019, 09:28 PM   #991
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
Huh. I guess my Carplay will die tomorrow on my car's 1-year birthday. I never ended up liking it, so I've just been using iDrive and a big USB stick with lots of FLAC files. Perhaps I should have spent some more time with it before it expired, but too late now. :-)
+1

Have a 256GB mini flash drive with entire lossless music library connected to the USB. Works flawlessly, plays instantly, displays all playlist, tracks, artist, etc. including album art. Tried CarPlay for a few days and didn't like how it took over the entire console and didn't really provide any additional functionality that I needed. Turned it off and never looked back.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      09-04-2019, 10:33 PM   #992
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoracin View Post
I haven't driven mine in a while...I wonder if mine's dead too. Haha

Curious...when would be the 1 year anniversary for ED ones?

- built by end of July 2018
- started paying for car around Aug 2018
- ED pick up in Sept 2018
- VPC in Oct 2018
- USA pick up in Nov 2108

I feel like Carplay didn't work in Europe, but I can't remember for sure.

What do yall think?
It's the effective date of your delivery in Munich.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 10:38 PM   #993
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
Is carplay subscription based? I do not think mine is. I paid for carplay on my option list back in September 2018. How do I know if my carplay is subscription based?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 10:44 PM   #994
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Count your blessing, Wireless CarPlay in BMWs sucks.

It constantly drops the APPs or has problems connecting, upon start-up and this is on various BMWs including one with the newest iDrive 7 software (07/2019).

I own all Apple products, so I'm not bias toward them but facts is facts; BMW needs to put that technology back in give oven because it's not done yet.

I would pay $80 a year to have it removed - good riddance CarPlay. ✌🏻
It's been flawless for me. By far better than any USB CarPlay I have used in several other brands. I have maybe one issue connecting in 1.5 years of ownership. I wonder what they would have done differently in the latest iDrive to make it less reliable.
Appreciate 5
cptobvious2531.50
Davil6333.50
LGWGN249.50
BlkSVT388.50
filet.M2c782.50
      09-05-2019, 03:19 AM   #995
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Quote:

It constantly drops the APPs or has problems connecting, upon start-up and this is on various BMWs including one with the newest iDrive 7 software (07/2019).

I own all Apple products, so I'm not bias toward them but facts is facts; BMW needs to put that technology back in give oven because it's not done yet.

It's been flawless for me. By far better than any USB CarPlay I have used in several other brands. I have maybe one issue connecting in 1.5 years of ownership. I wonder what they would have done differently in the latest iDrive to make it less reliable.
I wish I had the same experience as you did, as I'm an Apple fanatic and would of love to rave about it but I have to be honest with myself.

I like to consider myself pretty tech-savvy but in my experience, BMW's version of CP is buggy and is not as seamless as all of Apple's ecosystem I'm accustom to; which is 'Set & Forget.' However, BMW's CP always requires some sort of manual intervention to get it up and running again or get the devices to "handshake."

It's not so much the software design but the method of operation; which connects through WI-Fi instead of a hardwire.

I'm positive the WiFi/Bluetooth integration is responsible for the connection issues mentioned simply because I've used wired CarPlay in a Cadillac CTS, Toyota Prius and my friend's Alfa Romeo, all wired and works flawlessly.

The fact that Apple is constantly revising its phone software and related APPs, yet BMW integration i-level remains stagnant, I'm sure doesn't exactly help in getting the devices to sync properly.

So it's not so much CarPlay, per se, but it's method of connection sometimes has a mind of its own and choose to pain/unpair, on its own terms.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 06:49 AM   #996
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Same for me. It’s absolutey superb. Don’t even take the iPhone out of my pocket. I bought a lifetime subscription after the one month trial.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 07:34 AM   #997
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I wish I had the same experience as you did, as I'm an Apple fanatic and would of love to rave about it but I have to be honest with myself.

I like to consider myself pretty tech-savvy but in my experience, BMW's version of CP is buggy and is not as seamless as all of Apple's ecosystem I'm accustom to; which is 'Set & Forget.' However, BMW's CP always requires some sort of manual intervention to get it up and running again or get the devices to "handshake."

It's not so much the software design but the mention of operation; which connects through WI-Fi instead of a hardwire.

I'm positive the WiFi/Bluetooth integration is responsible for the connection issues mentioned simply because I've used wired CarPlay in a Cadillac CTS, Toyota Prius and my friend's Alfa Romeo, all wired and works flawlessly.

The fact that Apple is constantly revising its phone software and related APPs, yet BMW integration i-level remains static, I'm sure doesn't exactly help in getting the devices to sync properly.

So it's not so much CarPlay, pre se, but it's method of connection sometimes has a mind of its own and choose to pain/unpair, on its own terms.
The only time I've ever had a problem is when I've put the phone in Airplane mode or have turned off BT or WiFi for some reason.

Jumping between the M2 and X4 has been flawless, picking up where I have left off.

The M2C is acting a bit strange not displaying the previous iDrive screen but I haven't determined a pattern, so I can't ask service to check it. Either way it's a BMW ConnectedDrive drive issue not Apple CarPlay.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 08:46 AM   #998
BlacMacJac
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW '20 M2C

Quote:
It's not so much the software design but the method of operation; which connects through WI-Fi instead of a hardwire.

The fact that Apple is constantly revising its phone software and related APPs, yet BMW integration i-level remains stagnant, I'm sure doesn't exactly help in getting the devices to sync properly.

So it's not so much CarPlay, pre se, but it's method of connection sometimes has a mind of its own and choose to pain/unpair, on its own terms.
Interesting perspective. My '20 has been utterly flawless, and if I have a complaint it's with a specific app and not the platform. Tidal, for example, seems to not like to load music if another audio based app is currently playing. But not in reverse.

As someone who's been in the app development business I find the wireless CP to be a really fascinating solution to what generally is the 1st-world hassle of having to plug in the iPhone. It also explains why there is yet to be a Android Auto and, frankly, I have no idea how they'll accomplish it without a TON of consistency issues.

Now, what I do find clunky is the confusing UI between the iDrive software and CarPlay. Having two disparate platforms working inside the same system is a janky UX to say the least. If I want to use CP, it would be great if you could "mute" all the other stuff, or vice versa, and simplify the experience. Another issue is my own shortcoming - I don't like fingerprint smudged screens, so I rarely use touch screen, but also get frustrated using a wheel to get thru menu structures.

I have debated purchasing the file that allows you to go single screen for CarPlay, but I also want to see in the coming weeks how iOS13 appears and operates before I do that.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      09-05-2019, 12:32 PM   #999
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

I picked up my car about a week and a half ago and i'm not really very impressed with Apple CarPlay.

It's a little slow and laggy and I hate how it only takes up like 2/3rds of the screen. I thought i'd never use the built in navigation, since google maps on my phone tends to be pretty good, but the map being small and not projecting into the instrument cluster makes it feel inferior. The car's built in nav has been pretty accurate so far as well.

I'm 90 percent sure i wont be renewing, especially since you can still listen to music/podcasts via bluetooth. The car has an internal hard drive that should be able to fit most of my music anyway. If I need more storage, i'll just buy a low profile flash drive (so it doesn't break off) and then leave it plugged in all the time.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 03:57 PM   #1000
heli_ben
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C on order...

I have car play, but don't use it after trying both approaches back to back.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 06:41 PM   #1001
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
I picked up my car about a week and a half ago and i'm not really very impressed with Apple CarPlay.

It's a little slow and laggy and I hate how it only takes up like 2/3rds of the screen. I thought i'd never use the built in navigation, since google maps on my phone tends to be pretty good, but the map being small and not projecting into the instrument cluster makes it feel inferior. The car's built in nav has been pretty accurate so far as well.

I'm 90 percent sure i wont be renewing, especially since you can still listen to music/podcasts via bluetooth. The car has an internal hard drive that should be able to fit most of my music anyway. If I need more storage, i'll just buy a low profile flash drive (so it doesn't break off) and then leave it plugged in all the time.
What generation iPhone? If it's lagging it's the phone and not CarPlay or iDrive as older iPhones struggle with this.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 07:57 PM   #1002
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
What generation iPhone? If it's lagging it's the phone and not CarPlay or iDrive as older iPhones struggle with this.
Its an 8S i believe. To be clear, we're not talking about MAJOR lag here, just like a second and a half or so between when i hit play and when the music comes on. I could deal with it if there was no alternative and i'd just get used to it and move on.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 03:59 PM   #1003
Chopper731
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

I have an iPhone X and have had a pretty good experience with CarPlay.
cptobvious2531.50
      09-07-2019, 05:59 PM   #1004
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
Quote:
Its an 8S i believe. To be clear, we're not talking about MAJOR lag here, just like a second and a half or so between when i hit play and when the music comes on. I could deal with it if there was no alternative and i'd just get used to it and move on.
I'm running ios13 beta and no lag. Maybe with the new software update to ios13 coming next week, it will be better?
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 02:19 PM   #1005
filet.M2c
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2c / mach e

I have not experienced any connection issues using wireless carplay in my M2c, though there is an obvious drop in sound quality. What is annoying is you can't plug into USB and use that as the audio source when carplay is active.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 03:40 PM   #1006
TXSurfer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Ok been running iOS 13 beta for awhile now and I can definitely say CarPlay was worth the money. I just realized I can control my garage door through my car now!! I have never actually paid attention to since I'm usually in music app jamming out. Apparently it pops up on home screen when your location gets close to home.
Attached Images

09-09-2019, 11:08 AM   #1007
SpartanGA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4 Comp F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSurfer View Post
Ok been running iOS 13 beta for awhile now and I can definitely say CarPlay was worth the money. I just realized I can control my garage door through my car now!! I have never actually paid attention to since I'm usually in music app jamming out. Apparently it pops up on home screen when your location gets close to home.
What system is your garage door setup. I have a sears app, but its certainly not HomeKit capable.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 11:08 AM   #1008
McPurrs
The deuce gets loose
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 BSM 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
IMHO, Siri is nowhere near as accurate as Google assistant. I hear my friends repeating things over and over to get Siri to understand. My Google assistant rarely gets it wrong. The Google maps integration is superior with the assistant as well.
So you have friends that do not know how to use Siri, and you know how to use Google assistant..that is what it boils down to. Siri is very useful to use if you know the commands and quirks of it.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 11:12 AM   #1009
SpartanGA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4 Comp F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPurrs View Post
So you have friends that do not know how to use Siri, and you know how to use Google assistant..that is what it boils down to. Siri is very useful to use if you know the commands and quirks of it.
I have to agree Siri is behind Google and Alexa.

Simple questions like what was the Notre Dame football score last night. Siri started giving some NFL stats. Alexa told me who they played, the score and who they play next.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 05:26 PM   #1010
TXSurfer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanGA View Post
Quote:
What system is your garage door setup. I have a sears app, but its certainly not HomeKit capable.
I use chamberlain myQ with HomeKit bridge.
      09-12-2019, 10:11 AM   #1011
tul
Rep
Drives: F31/F36

Garage List
2012 BMW F31  [0.00]
2019 BMW F36  [0.00]
i dont have this option in esys,
tried some pszdatas, and it doesnt show, any idea?

Hu_nbt> 3000hmi> carplay_fullscreen
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 08:32 AM   #1012
SumBMWGuy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: A German Car

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanGA View Post
Quote:
I use chamberlain myQ with HomeKit bridge.
I have a Chamberlain MyQ as well. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for this. Thanks for pointing it out.
Appreciate 0