BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > BMW soft update - fucked the steering

04-23-2019, 02:00 AM   #45
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Houbi View Post
Steering is as good as it ever was, it didn‘t change a single bit through the latest updates

(And I am SUPER sensitive to steering feel...)
After my break in service I swear the steering had more road feel. And yes, I checked tyre pressures. My car was a July build though and to be honest my only minor complaint with the car was that it could use a little more steering feel. I now find it just about perfect. I can feel the road through the wheel but not enough to be annoying. It also explains to some extent how some reviewers complained about road feel and later ones praised it.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 09:53 AM   #46
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Houbi View Post
Steering is as good as it ever was, it didn‘t change a single bit through the latest updates

(And I am SUPER sensitive to steering feel...)
After my break in service I swear the steering had more road feel. And yes, I checked tyre pressures. My car was a July build though and to be honest my only minor complaint with the car was that it could use a little more steering feel. I now find it just about perfect. I can feel the road through the wheel but not enough to be annoying. It also explains to some extent how some reviewers complained about road feel and later ones praised it.
I'm having similar issue. Dealer found nothing and suspension is intact. Steering is loose on-center and not as tight as it used to be.

I only did that 1,200 service and they did some update to the differential.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 10:01 PM   #47
MartyE12345
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp AW, S2000

I just stumbled upon this thread, I’m pretty sure I have the first production M2C, I bought it last August. I went in for the yearly service and there were no software updates or anything. Why are people getting asked to updates and mine hasn’t and it was like a June 2018 build? Is it a regional thing? anyone else in the US have an update performed? Not complaining just curious.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 04:40 AM   #48
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

EU cars are getting updated a lot.

Don't know about US cars.

Depends on dealer really. Do they want to spend the time on it if they don't have to?

They plug the car in and it says "updates available" - their choice unless they are marked as compulsory.

In the UK in June they wanted to update mine but when i pressed them for details they said they were quality enhancements and only recommended not actually compulsory. Mines an Oct 18 build so i know the updates would have included the OBD lockout and these steering issues too.

So i said no thanks not today I'll look into it and get back to you.

Last edited by doughboy; 08-17-2019 at 04:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 07:26 AM   #49
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyE12345 View Post
I just stumbled upon this thread, I’m pretty sure I have the first production M2C, I bought it last August. I went in for the yearly service and there were no software updates or anything. Why are people getting asked to updates and mine hasn’t and it was like a June 2018 build? Is it a regional thing? anyone else in the US have an update performed? Not complaining just curious.
BMW will update the car if there is a problem, or the user wants to spend the $$ to have it done. -otherwise BMW will not update the car.

I haven't had any issues, and I think we may be on the same istep version.

Go here at list your istep version:

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1638904
      09-10-2019, 08:16 PM   #50
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

Did anyone find the issue with the issue with steering play?

My alignment and everything is good. I got it checked but still have a play in steering when going 60 mph or above.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 12:20 AM   #51
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckybadger View Post

My alignment and everything is good. I got it checked but still have a play in steering when going 60 mph or above.
Anyone figured this out?

When I drive slow the steering feels good. But when I start driving above 35 mph, I notice the on center is loose / disconnected half inch both towards left and right, there seems to be slight slack in the steering.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 06:02 AM   #52
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

What mode do you use?

When you say "slack" are you saying some mechanical play which gives slop in the movement between steering wheel and actual wheels? This would be present at all speeds including stationary and would probably be noisy and very noticeable.

OR do you mean when driving there is a sensation of poor vehicle response to the about-centre position?

Have you driven another M2C? I'd be pushing the dealer for a quick drive in a used one to see if it was the same.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 07:30 AM   #53
MikeM2UK
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C 2019

Mine is a 2018 model and I hate the steering
it feels like bump steer although i have had the allignment check and its fine.
the car will drive straight on motorway but iny imperfection in the road will turn the steering wheel.
if you gently hold the steering wheel the feedback i get is like the front wheels are constantly moving from left to right and you feel the pressure of the rack in the steering.
then on occasion with larger bumps in the road you can feel a lot of pressure against the steering wheel and it makes you think your going to vere to one side or another thats why it feels like a bump steer problem. it doesnt give me much confidence in the car which scares me if i really let it loose and end up in a ditch. I thought about scrub radius but after investigation the car is set to zero. My software version is F020-19-11-520.
i have driven the M2 along a specific road near me and the steering is all over the place due to the uneven road, took out the wifes SLK and it drives smooth with no deviation.
I appreciate the difference between hydraulic and electric steering but it should never be that bad. Got to the point when i thought of selling the M2 but it would put me too much out of pocket. The local BMW dealers are wankers as i didnt buy it from them they dont seem interested in helping so looking for a quality independant.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 07:58 AM   #54
Dutch Devotion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80M3 - M2 comp ETA 14.10.2019

I exactly know what you mean with that steering feedback that could be interpreted as bumpsteer, which it clearly isn't.

I even had my rack checked wether it was loose as that provides exactly the same feeling.......and the better the tarmac the more pronounced the problem surfaces.

MPE coil overs + 763M + Cup2 tires = this feeling likes parts start to fall from the car.

If you drive it like you stole it, you do not feel it, so drive it fast I would like to advise LOL
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 02:49 AM   #55
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 DCT, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckybadger View Post

What is your alignment set to? For the most responsive drive, you need to run the fronts parallel (e.g. zero toe) - a dealer/tyre shop probably won't set it up this way unless you specifically request it.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 02:59 AM   #56
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Devotion View Post
I exactly know what you mean with that steering feedback that could be interpreted as bumpsteer, which it clearly isn't.

I even had my rack checked wether it was loose as that provides exactly the same feeling.......and the better the tarmac the more pronounced the problem surfaces.

MPE coil overs + 763M + Cup2 tires = this feeling likes parts start to fall from the car.

If you drive it like you stole it, you do not feel it, so drive it fast I would like to advise LOL
Cup 2 or MPSS tyres will transmit alot more road feedback than other tyres. If it bothers you, the MPS4S will be significantly smoother.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 03:06 AM   #57
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM2UK View Post
Mine is a 2018 model and I hate the steering
it feels like bump steer although i have had the allignment check and its fine.
the car will drive straight on motorway but iny imperfection in the road will turn the steering wheel.
if you gently hold the steering wheel the feedback i get is like the front wheels are constantly moving from left to right and you feel the pressure of the rack in the steering.
then on occasion with larger bumps in the road you can feel a lot of pressure against the steering wheel and it makes you think your going to vere to one side or another thats why it feels like a bump steer problem. it doesnt give me much confidence in the car which scares me if i really let it loose and end up in a ditch. I thought about scrub radius but after investigation the car is set to zero. My software version is F020-19-11-520.
i have driven the M2 along a specific road near me and the steering is all over the place due to the uneven road, took out the wifes SLK and it drives smooth with no deviation.
I appreciate the difference between hydraulic and electric steering but it should never be that bad. Got to the point when i thought of selling the M2 but it would put me too much out of pocket. The local BMW dealers are wankers as i didnt buy it from them they dont seem interested in helping so looking for a quality independant.
I expect that you car is fine - this is the sporty steering feel that many like, including myself. Many of us code the steering to GTS settings to get even more feedback through the steering wheel.

As mentioned above, MPS4S will be significantly smoother with less steering feel.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 03:45 AM   #58
MikeM2UK
Rep

Just watched this

Any opinions?

If the link doesn’t work it’s from a channel called Thic Whips and called ‘I FLASHED MY M2 WITH THOR’
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 01:44 PM   #59
MikeM2UK
Rep

Have had THOR installed now for a couple of weeks and notice a massive difference with the steering. Have tried it with CS mode and GTS mode and find them very similar. CS has a firmer all-round steering and feels better out of the curves than GTS but that has a softer but still firm on the steering and a little less grip out of the curves.
My personal preference is CS it just feels more seeted to the road, not quite sure how to explain it fully but it gives you absolute confidence that the car will hold when you get a heavy foot. If you know what I mean.
Overall for those like me that don’t like the factory steering setup I believe THOR will improve your love for the M2.
Appreciate 0