BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > How to avoid fried amp when tinting?

09-02-2019, 11:47 AM   #1
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
How to avoid fried amp when tinting?

Planning on having my windows tinted. Over the last couple years I've read about many people getting their amps wet as a result of tint applicator fluid dripping down the rear windshield and getting the amp in the trunk wet, causing a short out and thus requiring replacement. Obviously I'd like to avoid this. Have any of you guys taken any precautions when getting your windows tinted, or did you just roll the dice and hope nothing would happen?
Appreciate 1
      09-02-2019, 12:00 PM   #2
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

I thought about removing the trunk carpeting and covering the amp with a towel, but instead I just mentioned it to the manager of the shop. He said they've tinted a number of M2s and never had a problem, and was surprised to learn of this.

I had no problems with my amp (just had my "new to me" OG M2 tinted in July).
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 12:15 PM   #3
Professor MSP
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Planning on having my windows tinted. Over the last couple years I've read about many people getting their amps wet as a result of tint applicator fluid dripping down the rear windshield and getting the amp in the trunk wet, causing a short out and thus requiring replacement. Obviously I'd like to avoid this. Have any of you guys taken any precautions when getting your windows tinted, or did you just roll the dice and hope nothing would happen?
I share your concern. When I take any of my cars in to be tinted, I (i) speak with the shop manager, expressing my concerns, (ii) speak with the chap who is going to do the tinting, and (iii) bring a pile of towels with me, microfiber and otherwise, to show them how serious I am about things not going awry.

Hope that helps.
      09-08-2019, 05:37 AM   #4
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

I'm not sure about the AMPs but I remember there was a Comfort Access Module, right adjacent the rear window, that a body shop had gotten wet and I had to replace to tune of $400. I figure they detailed my car during or after the body repair, with a power washer, which shorted out the module.

I suggest you get a blueprint of your vehicle, identify all the vulnerable parts and tape them from any water seepage.

It's anal but you can't always depend on the cheap laborers, in the tint shop, to secure your vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 11:16 AM   #5
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

I tinted my car myself, and forgot about this prior to doing the work... I remembered half way through and quickly pulled the trunk liner off and removed the amp, which was, as many have said, soaking wet.

I took the covers off and dried it out the best I could and it's been fine for the 18 months since, but it does concern me.

The amp is directly at the point where any excess water WILL hit it. Any installer who doesn't actually remove it before doing the work IS going to be getting it wet, and just because they've never had any reported issues just means they've been lucky, or BMW has been kind and paid out on warranty claims even though it's not their fault.

andrewc89, you've done enough DIY work yourself. I'd highly suggest that you just remove the amp and ASD before you take your car in. While you're at it, remove the rear trim, seats and shelf under the window to give your installers better access for a better job. Remove it all yourself and put it all back in yourself and you'll be happy knowing what was damaged and what wasn't.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 2
AndrewC198910929.50
///M TOWN16235.00