BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Electrical gremlins

09-02-2019, 10:53 AM   #1
TMR013
Opus Angelus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2 Coupe

Electrical gremlins

So have started recently having some electrical/electronic gremlins appear lately. The only issue I had seen to this point was Apple Car play temporarily losing it's mind and my phone connections. But easily fixed with a reset.

Was driving down the road not long ago and was going the change lanes to the right, hit my blinker and all the sudden got an error alarm that the right blinker failed. I was like huh?? But before I could really do anything the alarm cleared, and I tried the right blinker, no issue. Then yesterday some idiot decided to change lanes while I was right next to him. I slammed brakes and hit the horn. Good thing I had the brakes cause the horn didn't work. Tried it a minute later, and nothing. Then Last night I'm driving out and decide to try the horn again, works fine.

Car just passed 20K miles. Absolutely no issues otherwise. Beginning to wonder if I bought a Ford.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 02:50 PM   #2
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Lots of us have had the right turn signal malfunction. https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1518790
Appreciate 1
ried791.50
      09-02-2019, 03:34 PM   #3
tranck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpine White BMW M2

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Lots of us have had the right turn signal malfunction. https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1518790
I've had both left and right fast turn signals - bet most everyone will have eventually - my car - 46K miles now.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 04:09 PM   #4
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
I've had both left and right fast turn signals - bet most everyone will have eventually - my car - 46K miles now.
Why I like this forum, owners noting issues (comparing notes)

Off topic: I care about this car, no smoking no eating and very careful with coffee, takes a long time for this car to warm up or I never cared as much on my past vehicles?!?! how long at idle is ok? 10 min then slowly driving until oil is happy?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 10:45 PM   #5
Slowphiveo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Heritage Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEfan508 View Post
Why I like this forum, owners noting issues (comparing notes)

Off topic: I care about this car, no smoking no eating and very careful with coffee, takes a long time for this car to warm up or I never cared as much on my past vehicles?!?! how long at idle is ok? 10 min then slowly driving until oil is happy?
You are fine after a few mins honestly. As long as you aren't bouncing off your rev limiter constantly, which is not great for the car if done repeatedly, regardless of how warmed up it is...
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 10:56 PM   #6
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowphiveo View Post
You are fine after a few mins honestly. As long as you aren't bouncing off your rev limiter constantly, which is not great for the car if done repeatedly, regardless of how warmed up it is...
Is it better for the car to warm up idling for a few minutes? I always thought we should just start up and go.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 11:40 PM   #7
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Topic hijack sorry-

keeping the car @ idle in economy mode does seem to help it warm up a bit faster in my observation

takes 10 min driving to budge the needle on the oil temp, do I really need to wait that long before 5k rpm?

My other trucks and nice car leases in the past: I literally never cared about warming up before driving hard but this M2 with a break in service and such a expensive engine makes me want to baby it to much I think?!?!

Example, always had a car wash unlimited pass, this car is hand wash only
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 10:18 AM   #8
Slowphiveo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Heritage Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMK View Post
Is it better for the car to warm up idling for a few minutes? I always thought we should just start up and go.
It really depends on several factors...has the car been sitting a while, is the temperature below freezing? Generally speaking a modern car does not need to be "warmed up". That. Being said, the first 30 seconds or so that oil is being circulated around and may be kind of super viscous especially if it's cold outside...so I like to let it sit at least a minute in the cold weather before I drive it. Anything more than that is really overkill.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 11:51 AM   #9
963mw
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

I've changed 8 taillights due to the turn signal malfunction. Both sides.