BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Holding Launch Control

08-29-2019, 07:48 PM   #1
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Holding Launch Control

In a normal automatic car with a torque converter, you cannot hold your your brake and gas at the same time for an extended period of time because the torque converter will heat up too much to cause damage.

However, does the same thing apply to our M2's with DCT? Does it wear out the clutch if I hold the car in launch mode at 3500 rpm or it is just like revving a car in neutral and will not cause damage?

Also, I know the car runs cooler in Sport than Comfort, but is there a difference in cooling between Sport and Sport+? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 08:23 PM   #2
Dec540
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

It should be like holding a manual at the same revs with the clutch in. It depends how you define an 'extended period of time' because having higher revs without airflow will damage the car if done for long enough.
Appreciate 1
MetalMK228.50
      08-29-2019, 09:39 PM   #3
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMK View Post
In a normal automatic car with a torque converter, you cannot hold your your brake and gas at the same time for an extended period of time because the torque converter will heat up too much to cause damage.

However, does the same thing apply to our M2's with DCT? Does it wear out the clutch if I hold the car in launch mode at 3500 rpm or it is just like revving a car in neutral and will not cause damage?

Also, I know the car runs cooler in Sport than Comfort, but is there a difference in cooling between Sport and Sport+? Thanks
Cooling on Sport and Sport + are the same.

Screw Launch control.

I just hammer it.
      08-30-2019, 10:53 AM   #4
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:

I heard you're not supposed to launch that way on the DCT, but I don't recall why it's bad.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 11:05 AM   #5
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
I heard you're not supposed to launch that way on the DCT, but I don't recall why it's bad.
Hmmm that's weird because launch control comes from factory, when you hold brake and gas down at the same time it shows a flag telling you launch mode is ready.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 01:41 PM   #6
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:
Hmmm that's weird because launch control comes from factory, when you hold brake and gas down at the same time it shows a flag telling you launch mode is ready.
That's where engine speed can be adjusted with cruise control for actual programmed launch control mode.

I thought you were talking about a brake torque launch?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 02:52 PM   #7
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
That's where engine speed can be adjusted with cruise control for actual programmed launch control mode.

I thought you were talking about a brake torque launch?
I was referring to the launch control mode, the title says "holding launch control".

Anyways, is it bad to keep the car in launch mode for some time without actually launching the car?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 05:45 PM   #8
O Haiii
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Toyota Tercel

No
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 12:43 AM   #9
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

I always thought it stopped after holding it for a certain period of time. But I don't know now, didn't see anything in the manual about that.

I do see in the manual that you have to drive at least 6 miles before it becomes available, and that it will become unavailable if the transmission gets too hot. Giving a yellow or red transmission warning light depending on it's temp. And that the red transmission light puts you into limp mode and you should pull over and let the car cool off.

In my experience, I believe I've had it become unavailable after activating it 2-3 times in a row before without actually launching, but never had a tranny light come on.

Personally, I don't see a reason or a problem with holding it for more than 20 seconds (if it allows you to). Can't think of a situation you'd want to hold it for more than a couple seconds, to be honest.

Best way to answer your question though is to try it out yourself. Hold it for 5 seconds, then stop and see if a tranny light comes on. If not, do it for 10secs and see. If not, then 20secs. And so forth. The car has failsafes to prevent damage from overheating the transmission, so it'll be okay.
Appreciate 1
MetalMK228.50