BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Coils + 295's = Putting M2C power down?

08-26-2019, 09:17 AM   #1
automotiveaperture
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Frozen Black M3

Coils + 295's = Putting M2C power down?

Hi Everyone,

Recently got to take part in the M Town Tour and tried out the M2C, X3M C, and M5C, what a cool experience BMW put on

Anyway, loved the M5 and M2 but the M2 is the one I find myself thinking about most by far, reminded me a lot of a 991.2 C2S I drove earlier this year as far as driving dynamics and it looks incredible.

I noticed though that it was a struggle to put the power down without even touching MDM (breaking news I know lol) so was just wondering for those of you fortunate enough to own the M2C and start modding it, has adding a set of coilovers and 285/295 rear tires made a noticeable difference in added traction? Especially with so many tunes available to add more power, let alone the pure turbos setup, curious if those power adds are viable.

For perspective, I enjoy that accelerative punch so much and totally agree the car doesn't need more power, but the blast up to street speeds that's a bit disorienting is my jam and I'm not looking to track it much if at all, just have an incredibly fun daily. I've hunted around the forums but haven't seen any direct setup reviews of coils tires and more power and if it hooks, please point me there if I missed it.

Thanks for your input!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 12:32 PM   #2
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

A 911 will always have better traction than other RWD cars due to where the engine is (mid-engined race models aside). Wider tyres are good in corners but less help off the line. The coil-overs are also aimed at something other than traffic light grand prix.

HTH
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2019, 01:42 PM   #3
automotiveaperture
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
A 911 will always have better traction than other RWD cars due to where the engine is (mid-engined race models aside). Wider tyres are good in corners but less help off the line. The coil-overs are also aimed at something other than traffic light grand prix.

HTH
Interesting, thank you for the feedback, I would have thought another 30mm would be more helpful in conjunction with proper suspension modifications for quick acceleration with little drama. I've never heard "stop light Grand Prix" haha I love it. I'm not a street racer by any means, just enjoy the feel of a car that can put its power down and throw me back a bit, rather than dancing all over the place haha.

My comparison to the 911 C2S was mainly around the solid feeling of the car and lack of slop/play when quickly changing direction, felt "all of once piece" which I was really impressed with. Prices being equal I think the M2C might still be my choice as it was a real blast.

As far as the rear engine benefit to traction you're spot on, I had the opportunity to try a 991.2 GT3 a few months ago, absolutely incredible, best car I've ever driven, but driving the M2C also helped put things in perspective. The GT3 is the better car in pretty much every quantifiable way but the M2C is an incredible bang for buck. For 100k less it is a very viable fun/weekend or daily car.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 02:05 AM   #4
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Get grippier tyres instead of going wider

Get Michelin Cup 2 or Yokoharma A052 or Bridgestone RE71R
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2019, 06:52 AM   #5
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Top tip - even with oem MPSS 265 rear tyres - reduce rear camber from ~-2deg to nearer -1.5deg and helps a huge amount with traction [straight lines] and corner grip !!!

Hopefully photo below should help show change in contact patch:-

- original scrub line @~-2deg, being inboard;
- newest scrub line c/o -1.5 deg, upto the edge of the tyre tread.
Attached Images

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2019, 07:50 AM   #6
automotiveaperture
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Top tip - even with oem MPSS 265 rear tyres - reduce rear camber from ~-2deg to nearer -1.5deg and helps a huge amount with traction [straight lines] and corner grip !!!

Hopefully photo below should help show change in contact patch:-

- original scrub line @~-2deg, being inboard;
- newest scrub line c/o -1.5 deg, upto the edge of the tyre tread.
Appreciate the feedback Bee Pee, thank you. A half degree of camber looks like it puts another inch of tire on the ground, that's great, thanks for the photo!

Assuming that is your setup, how did you come across that camber adjustment solution? This paired with some Cup 2's or similar as Karmic mentioned ( ) sound like a solid performance upgrade without getting the coilovers. I have a longer commute so with high mileage probably wouldn't go as aggressive as Cup 2's unless I got it as a weekend car primarily, have PS4S's on my e92 M3 and really like those, would be a great performance daily tire for the M2C
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 08:03 AM   #7
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by automotiveaperture View Post
Appreciate the feedback Bee Pee, thank you. A half degree of camber looks like it puts another inch of tire on the ground, that's great, thanks for the photo!

Assuming that is your setup, how did you come across that camber adjustment solution? This paired with some Cup 2's or similar as Karmic mentioned ( ) sound like a solid performance upgrade without getting the coilovers. I have a longer commute so with high mileage probably wouldn't go as aggressive as Cup 2's unless I got it as a weekend car primarily, have PS4S's on my e92 M3 and really like those, would be a great performance daily tire for the M2C
Yes its my car. Any alignment shop should be able to set rear camber on stock M2C. Rear camber and toe are adjusted via eccentric bolts.

FWIW, try the cheap fixes 1st ie I'd suggest driving it for awhile as-is then asking yr local alignment shop for:-

front:-
- camber/castor - n/a as this fixed/non-adjustable
- toe-in set to just above zero but less than 0.05deg.

Rear:-
- rear camber -1.5deg
- rear toe-in set to ~ 0.05deg.

See how the above set up feels compared to original setup....

PS - @GreatWhiteM2 on here had -2deg+ on rear of his stg 1 M2C with 245/265 Pirelli Trofeo R's - great for track not ideal for bumpy A&B roads here in the UK. He took the car back to get less rear camber dialled and made a big difference to getting 500/500 power/torques down to the ground !

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 2
      08-30-2019, 08:20 AM   #8
automotiveaperture
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Very informative details, thank you! I'll note these settings.

Good to know, I wouldn't be going above 500 hp/tq for quite some time if ever, that's an incredible amount of power to be put down through 265's wow, I could easily spin my 265 Continentals on the M3 with half that torque haha, the 275 PS4S's hook amazing now though.
Appreciate 0