BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M2C 2NH Brake Pads (track duty)

08-18-2019, 02:19 PM   #1
COChris
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2C

Hey, I'm looking for some feedback from anyone who has run more track oriented pads for a basic DE. Last time out with the M2C, I did experience manageable fade with Castro's SRF and stock pads. I was able to get the same level of fade on a canyon drive recently.

Anyone try Ferodo 2500 pads at the track? If they're just a little better than the stock pads in that situation then it's manageable for me.

Otherwise I'm looking at running stock pads on the street and Carbotech pads at the track (recommendations welcome on which Carbotech to run in this car).

I'm probably only doing 10 laps at a time on a 2 mile course, just for fun with the BMW club.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 07:54 AM   #2
jritt@essex
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: e90 335i, NSX, 997.2, 987.1

You may want to try the Ferodo DS1.11 compound. You can see lots of info on them here: https://www.essexparts.com/brake-pads/ferodo-brake-pads

The DS1.11 is the most popular compound we supply with our Essex/AP Racing Brake Kits. Just about everyone who tries them comes back for more. They hold up a long time, they have great control/modulation, and they're easier on discs than most other race pads. They also don't typically have the vibration and judder issues that other brands have, and they're easy to bed-in. We have tons of clients with GT3, Z06, M3, etc. running these successfully on tracks all over the country. They're great for cars of similar profile to the M2(C). We have never heard of anyone fading them on any car, and that's on cars with 800+ HP. We've run them on our brake dyno past 1600 degrees F with no fade.

Front= https://www.essexparts.com/ferodo-fc...111-brake-pads

Rear= https://www.essexparts.com/ferodo-ds1-11-brake-pads524

They are in stock and ready to ship today.

They DS2500 is going to be considerably better than stock, and it's unlikely that you'll be able to fade them on the track. We've also pounded them on the dyno with no fade, and there's no way you'd ever fade them in a canyon run. The big difference between the DS1.11 and DS2500 at track temps however will be wear. If you run the DS2500 super hot for extended time periods, they'll wear considerably faster than the DS1.11. Then again, they don't cost as much as the DS1.11, so your miles per dollar ratio may be not horribly different with these two compounds (too many variable to predict).

In terms of 'streetability', the DS2500 offers the manners of a typical road pad, despite being fare more capable overall. They don't really make much noise, and they won't devour your discs. The DS1.11 will make a lot more noise on the road and will dust more.

There are a lot of factors involved, but the DS2500 may do the trick for you. What tires are you running and what tracks are you running?

The other great thing about the DS2500 and DS1.11 is that they are made from the same core materials, so they can be swapped back and forth on the same discs without worrying about cross-contamination, judder, etc. You can bed the DS1.11 in, run them at the track,then throw the DS2500 in for road use. We have tons of clients doing this.

So...a strategy for you could be to first try the DS2500. If they get the job done on the track and wear is acceptable, problem solved. If you'd like to get a little more wear on the track, or if you want a little more bite, bring a set of DS1.11 into the mix for track use only.

Here are the DS2500 pads for your M2C:

Front= https://www.essexparts.com/ferodo-ds2500-brake-pads750

Rear= https://www.essexparts.com/ferodo-ds2500-brake-pads522

Thanks, and let us know if you have any other questions.
Appreciate 2
COChris888.50
Endeav388.50
      08-19-2019, 09:08 AM   #3
COChris
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jritt@essex View Post
You may want to try the Ferodo DS1.11 compound. You can see lots of info on them here: https://www.essexparts.com/brake-pads/ferodo-brake-pads

There are a lot of factors involved, but the DS2500 may do the trick for you. What tires are you running and what tracks are you running?

Thanks, and let us know if you have any other questions.
Right now I'm still on the OEM Pilot Super sports. Thanks for the great tips!

Update: ordered the DS2500s F/R and will report back how they do at the DE.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 01:37 PM   #4
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

I second the 1.11 recommendation. I used them on my M4 track car and they were excellent! I even kept them on whenever I drove the car on the street and there was little to no noise.
      08-26-2019, 02:21 PM   #5
mcgarnigle
Private First Class
Rep

I have carbotech xp20 front and xp12 rear. Bought them pre-bedded. Instructor group speeds.

Zero fade, tremendous bite, lots of feel. Best pads I've used thus far (I used to swear by pfc01/11).

$650 for the set direct from carbotech.
Appreciate 0