BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Is PPF on Rear 1/4 panel in Fornt of Wheels Std at Delivery

07-06-2019, 03:00 PM   #23
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got f1? View Post
Yep. I will also yellow a bit over time because of the glue used at the factory. Aftermarket solutions don't use a glue so no yellowing. Also a bit bigger so more protection. dirt on the edges is unfortunately unavoidable. It can be cleaned gently.
My factory PPF did not yellow in 3 years and I had no reason to believe it would. It also looks much better (shape) than other "custom" solution.
No way does it look better than custom. Mine is almost invisible. The oem version looked like the car has a strange scratch.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 03:47 PM   #24
ZeroFx
Major
Rep
Drives: M4x

Quote:
My factory PPF did not yellow in 3 years and I had no reason to believe it would. It also looks much better (shape) than other "custom" solution.
what have you been smokin?

The standard ppf is shit. No way does it look better
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 05:21 PM   #25
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
No way does it look better than custom. Mine is almost invisible. The oem version looked like the car has a strange scratch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroFx View Post
what have you been smokin?

The standard ppf is shit. No way does it look better
What I mean is the OE version has a shape vs. some generic line across the top. Unless a person lives in a dry, rocky environment, I personally don't see a need to change it. I also don't wrap my entire car.

Posting generic the factory PPF "will yellow" is complete FUD and only trying to scare people into purchasing some other brand. Now I'm by no means an expert but I only know of three "brands" 3M, Suntek and XPEL. Highly doubt BMW isn't using one of them.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 02:02 AM   #26
ZeroFx
Major
Rep
Drives: M4x

Quote:
What I mean is the OE version has a shape vs. some generic line across the top. Unless a person lives in a dry, rocky environment, I personally don't see a need to change it. I also don't wrap my entire car.

Posting generic the factory PPF "will yellow" is complete FUD and only trying to scare people into purchasing some other brand. Now I'm by no means an expert but I only know of three "brands" 3M, Suntek and XPEL. Highly doubt BMW isn't using one of them.
That factory ppf is already yellow. You can see It on HS or AW.

Go Google what happens to that rear arch on all m2s. The rocks hit higher than the ppf. It also doesn't protect any of the rocker where it flairs either and that is also a rock magnet.
Appreciate 1
Kankles1484.50
      07-07-2019, 08:37 AM   #27
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

My AW M2C OEM stone guards yellow up in 3 weeks. Even worst was those black dirt along the yellow stone guards edge...

Got rid of them with full PPF and now it's beautiful
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 09:43 AM   #28
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:

The likely hood that the OEM piece will yellow on lighter colors, AW and HS, is great. It by no means looks as good as any of the top three. Sure it may be manufactured by one of them, but the quality is not on par with what the consumer buys from an installer. You appear to be happy with yours and that is great. The coverage in that area is not enough. Driving habits and road surfaces can exacerbate the likely hood of damage, however, it is likely a matter of time before the paint gets affected there from any road. Hard cornering and surface elevation will pepper that area. It does not take a rocky road to cause the issue. My LCI and current M2C were affected. I chose to have a larger custom piece created for the latter. Other and older Ms and Porsches are no different.

Last edited by devo; 07-07-2019 at 10:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 02:48 PM   #29
clt_m2
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurostrokemd View Post
On my first drive home I already got a rock chip 2 inches above the stock PPF, which is a high risk area on the wider hips. I had the installer remove the original and put a custom piece up to the seam extending to tail light.
I have heard quite a few people do this. Did it turn out great? I am maybe a bit overly concerned you can see the line too clearly and it will make it look ugly and should just kick out the whatever extra cost to take it all the way up. Car is M2C in Sunset Orange. Let me know folks! I asked my installer to do the same and picking the car up this Sat but maybe I have time to change my mind.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 05:32 AM   #30
Infamus
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
So silly question anybody know the part number for the OEM PPF?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 08:15 AM   #31
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamus View Post
So silly question anybody know the part number for the OEM PPF?
24 Left protection foil 1 51148070591
24 Right protection foil 1 51148070592

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_8672

M2C and M2 use the same foil.
      05-29-2020, 03:43 AM   #32
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bavarian Milk Wagon

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Go Google what happens to that rear arch on all m2s. The rocks hit higher than the ppf. It also doesn't protect any of the rocker where it flairs either and that is also a rock magnet.
Yup, or go look at an E46 M3...my arches were gnarly after 160k miles
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 01:00 AM   #33
JggyM2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kankles View Post
Quote:
Quote:

yeh man. PPF or bust. If there is a need to keep pit from rock chips, must PPF as the loves to pick up rocks and chip them along the lower side sill/skirt and along the rockers.
      06-02-2020, 10:38 AM   #34
JggyM2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Is PPF on Rear 1/4 panel in Fornt of Wheels Std at Delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kankles View Post
Quote:
Quote:

yeh man. PPF or bust. If there is a need to keep the body from rock chips, must PPF as it loves to pick up rocks and chip along the lower side sill/skirt and along the rockers.