A418t81
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Ever changing fleet

Garage List
2013 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windshieldfarmer View Post
Exotic???! I think not. This is a mass produced vehicle that has been in production for over three years. If BMW can’t support product repair in a timely manner it’s a big problem. My IX has been out of commission for 3 plus weeks waiting for a replacement coolant valve, now expected April 2nd. I like the IX, but this is wholly unacceptable. They have enough parts to continue building them but can’t support repairs. I certainly can understand OPs frustration….and wish him the best of luck.
Mass production and length of production has absolutely zero impact on that facts that this vehicle is built with atypical CFRP body structure for example, and is an EV which is still far from the average vehicle built by a legacy automaker.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 03:56 PM   #24
Rockdiamond
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW IX 50 2024

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinrf View Post
Not sure why so much hate for Tesla here? I’m equally like my iX and my Model S/X . Tesla service is actually pretty good to me. Scheduling service is easy in the app and SA is responsive in chat. Mobile tech came to my office to fix thing without disrupting my work.
I'm honestly glad you've had a good experience.
My perspective is based on my own experiences.
The car, after three years, was falling apart by the time I returned it.
Tesla raped us for $2k in return fees...so there's that too.......
I guess the lack of CS reps is endemic.
It's hard to get people on the phone in many companies.
However, car companies are generally better- they really need to be. The app is greart- but there are times you really need to speak to a human. In these cases, being forced to leave VM's, send emails and wait for responses is unacceptable. To me.
And Musk has proved himself to be very bad for business. I really feel for the employees. THey didn't cause this.
Appreciate 2
deutsch1004010.00
KRS_SN13647.50
      02-09-2024, 04:00 PM   #25
Barry123
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginuwine209 View Post
I respectfully say this because it needs to be said.

1. Take ownership and accountability for the mistake/ accident that you had. It was not BMW's fault that your car was damaged. It was yours.

2. Allow BMW to fix the problem. If it takes some extra time due to parts/ a certain process then stay on top of it, but let it be. Patience and not passive aggressive.

3. If BMW loses you from the brand they have lost a headache of a customer who took to the forum to disparage an otherwise really good vehicle. they lost someone who did not get their specific issue taken care on your timeline. You are not that special and not the only one who is in line for some kind of fix.
Yes, the fact I hit a rock was my fault. I'm not asking for a free fix.
Now I expect BMW to provide timely support for their product.

What is BMW's fault is not providing even barely acceptable customer support. As stated above several times, BMW is a luxury brand. Shop at Walmart, expect mediocre customer service. Shop at Nordstrom's, it's at a different level.

Since they continue to build cars, they have parts. Don't pull a "wham, bam, thank you ma'am" and drop the ball once they have your money from the car's purchase.
Appreciate 4
Xyz$12341.00
deutsch1004010.00
Bmwno6296.00
      02-09-2024, 04:18 PM   #26
Rockdiamond
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW IX 50 2024

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry123 View Post

What is BMW's fault is not providing even barely acceptable customer support. As stated above several times, BMW is a luxury brand. Shop at Walmart, expect mediocre customer service. Shop at Nordstrom's, it's at a different level.

Since they continue to build cars, they have parts. Don't pull a "wham, bam, thank you ma'am" and drop the ball once they have your money from the car's purchase.
It does suck- sorry you're going through this.
Did they give you a loaner at least?
Appreciate 1
deutsch1004010.00
      02-09-2024, 04:59 PM   #27
Ginuwine209
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW iX 50

Quote:

I completely understand and agree with making sure customer service is top notch. To me, customer service is good communication keeping the client in the loop with meaningful updates. It may not be as quick as I hope but setting solid expectations will help during this time. I hope you have a nice loaner for the time being at least.
2023 BMW iX50; 2023 BMW i435; 2018 BMW X5 35ixdrive - Jb4; 2018 530e M Sport Alpine White - AC Schnitzer; 2017 F80 ZCP Sakhir Orange - VF Engineering Hex (Sold); 2016 F82 ZCP Black Sapphire - VF Engineering Hex (sold); 2016 BMW i3 - "Tuned" - Coded (Sold)
Appreciate 1
deutsch1004010.00
      02-09-2024, 05:58 PM   #28
Barry123
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockdiamond View Post
It does suck- sorry you're going through this.
Did they give you a loaner at least?
Thanks.
No.
Appreciate 1
deutsch1004010.00
      02-09-2024, 06:54 PM   #29
Windshieldfarmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW IX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by A418t81 View Post
Mass production and length of production has absolutely zero impact on that facts that this vehicle is built with atypical CFRP body structure for example, and is an EV which is still far from the average vehicle built by a legacy automaker.
My issue is an unavailable coolant valve…not some earth shattering technology…a new version of this part is available and being used in new builds every day. Regarding the CFRP body, yes more sophisticated, but again the problem is parts availability. Seems to be a theme with BMW. I’m not a fanboy at this point.
Appreciate 2
deutsch1004010.00
Xyz$12341.00
      02-09-2024, 07:50 PM   #30
Tigershark321
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW iX

Garage List
2024 BMW  [0.00]
I have been having issues with my own '24 iX after 1200 miles with the front doors buzzing and rattling at various and inconsistent intensities and so far what I have realized is BMW service departments don't want to attempt anything except low-ball bear minimum. 5th time my vehicle has been seen after 4 visits to where I leased the vehicle and this 1st visit is now with the other BMW dealership in town. If there is going to be some major part like a panel or door replacement taking months I'm most willing to request a "buy back" because I'm not putting up with a premium car and waiting out months of time.
Appreciate 2
      02-09-2024, 09:03 PM   #31
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
At the OP, I’m sorry but this post is just dripping with entitlement. You are bashing a brand for the actions of an authorised repairer. Who’s to say that the repairer isn’t trying to cover their own lack of knowledge or that they forgot to order the part in the first place. IX is far from a mass produced car like a 3-series for instance. Many parts are unique to IX and won’t be stockpiled like the mass-market model counterparts. My IX needs a replacement passenger seatbelt buckle. It’s taken more than a month to get what is arguably the most commonly used part in a car, but I don’t go bleating about it. Nor about the fact that software bugs currently have my car sitting at my BMW dealer for almost a week.

You are creating a heavily biased view of a global brand based on your single, small experience.

What exactly did you expect to happen by posting this? Would BMW suddenly sit up and take notice (in your view of things)? Honestly, just take a breath and let the repairer do their job.

Last edited by hugo_nz; 02-09-2024 at 09:25 PM..
Appreciate 5
LVBMW1471.00
Paladin15589.00
KRS_SN13647.50
      02-09-2024, 11:15 PM   #32
therealkenc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Oxide Grey iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_nz View Post
At the OP, I’m sorry but this post is just dripping with entitlement. You are bashing a brand for the actions of an authorised repairer. Who’s to say that the repairer isn’t trying to cover their own lack of knowledge or that they forgot to order the part in the first place. IX is far from a mass produced car like a 3-series for instance. Many parts are unique to IX and won’t be stockpiled like the mass-market model counterparts. My IX needs a replacement passenger seatbelt buckle. It’s taken more than a month to get what is arguably the most commonly used part in a car, but I don’t go bleating about it. Nor about the fact that software bugs currently have my car sitting at my BMW dealer for almost a week.

You are creating a heavily biased view of a global brand based on your single, small experience.

What exactly did you expect to happen by posting this? Would BMW suddenly sit up and take notice (in your view of things)? Honestly, just take a breath and let the repairer do their job.
You have a point, but I do think it’s BMW’s responsibility to ensure that its authorized dealers/repair shops are up to snuff in terms of service quality and competency, and to ensure parts availability for every model that it sells, regardless of sales volume. BMW’s dealership and service network ARE an integral part of its brand and reputation.

Everyone’s circumstance is quite unique, so perhaps to OP this is a much bigger inconvenience than it is to someone else who, say, has multiple cars or gets loaners etc. OP’s venting may not get him anywhere with the situation, but I can empathize with his disappointment and frustration.
Appreciate 3
LVBMW1471.00
deutsch1004010.00
      02-10-2024, 12:01 AM   #33
LVBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60 '23 Tesla Model Y-P

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealkenc View Post
You have a point, but I do think it’s BMW’s responsibility to ensure that its authorized dealers/repair shops are up to snuff in terms of service quality and competency, and to ensure parts availability for every model that it sells, regardless of sales volume. BMW’s dealership and service network ARE an integral part of its brand and reputation.

Everyone’s circumstance is quite unique, so perhaps to OP this is a much bigger inconvenience than it is to someone else who, say, has multiple cars or gets loaners etc. OP’s venting may not get him anywhere with the situation, but I can empathize with his disappointment and frustration.
I can see both sides, but I think it's bizarre to swear off an entire brand because it's taking three months to get a part for a repair. It took five months for me, and I didn't say I would never buy an Acura (Japanese luxury brand) again (I probably won't, but for other reasons). And to suggest that every authorized BMW repair center should be able to immediately put their hands on any possible replacement part for every vehicle in every configuration that's currently in production is kind of unreasonable. Many of these parts have to arrive on a boat from Germany like our vehicles, and we all know how long that took. As you see from many other posts, many vehicle manufacturers are facing the same types of issues - luxury brand or not. I do agree that BMW has a lot of work to do in the communication department as many have experienced (stop sales with vague/unknown resolutions that we are forced to find out about through forums like this since the "Genius" people seem to have no idea).
Appreciate 4
deutsch1004010.00
karmakal118.50
Paladin15589.00
      02-10-2024, 01:40 AM   #34
A418t81
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Ever changing fleet

Garage List
2013 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windshieldfarmer View Post
My issue is an unavailable coolant valve…not some earth shattering technology…a new version of this part is available and being used in new builds every day. Regarding the CFRP body, yes more sophisticated, but again the problem is parts availability. Seems to be a theme with BMW. I’m not a fanboy at this point.
Right, and my original post wasn’t written for you.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 08:16 AM   #35
Barry123
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVBMW View Post
I can see both sides, but I think it's bizarre to swear off an entire brand because it's taking three months to get a part for a repair.
Why would I continue to support a company that treats its customers poorly? And yes, not making replacement parts readily available is poor support. This is why I didn't buy a second Tesla - my Model S was out of service 6 months waiting for a replacement air shock.

Unlike hugo, and some others, I don't drink BMW Koolaid. It's just a car.

Fool me once shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.
Appreciate 2
deutsch1004010.00
Xyz$12341.00
      02-10-2024, 08:43 AM   #36
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
In 2021, it took a year to get the parts to replace my headliner in my X5. Big job, like replacing the carbon fiber shell. One. Year. I'm guessing this would have been a few weeks if the parts had come from Spartanburg. Where there wasn't a war next door, where all my suppliers were located. But it wasn't. So I understood. Very likely the same thing would have happened with an Audi built in Ingolstadt, or a Mercedes built in Stuttgart (and not Tuscaloosa). So the world sucks, and it's awful. Car manufacturers, many or most of them, for good or ill (mostly ill, IMO), have gone over to the Japanese "zero-inventory," "just in time" model, the theory being that you'll just make a part when needed, and not have capital laying around a warehouse floor - parts they have are going into cars they're building. It's a good theory, not supported by real world events in recent memory. If you want fast, buy Detroit, although Fords waiting for badges became a thing in 2022:

Appreciate 1
deutsch1004010.00
      02-10-2024, 08:50 AM   #37
NomoTesla
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockdiamond View Post
When I first got the Model Y is was so cool! The acceleration, the farts...so many toys.
My first electric car. The app! Don't look too closely at body panels and things.
And at the time the guy who was supposedly responsible for all this was pretty cool.
Fast forward 3 years.
MUCK ELON FUSK
Now, the car shakes - you really can't drive over 70mph.
Yes, the Supercharger network is amazing but the company itself?
There is no way to get a human on the phone.
Not at a dealer or the corporate.
I'm so glad not to have to deal with that car- or the company again. BMW? Always has been amazing to deal with. YMMV
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinrf View Post
Not sure why so much hate for Tesla here? I’m equally like my iX and my Model S/X . Tesla service is actually pretty good to me. Scheduling service is easy in the app and SA is responsive in chat. Mobile tech came to my office to fix thing without disrupting my work.
Keep it up Rockdiamond! I agree with everything! lol
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 08:52 AM   #38
NomoTesla
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

Quote:
Why would I continue to support a company that treats its customers poorly? And yes, not making replacement parts readily available is poor support. This is why I didn't buy a second Tesla - my Model S was out of service 6 months waiting for a replacement air shock.

Unlike hugo, and some others, I don't drink BMW Koolaid. It's just a car.

Fool me once shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.
You may get some traction by posting about this on Twitter. Tweet BMW and make the issue public. Put them on the spot! I do find it strange reading all the posts here about this part needing to be ordered from Germany, that part being on backorder, etc. That's crap from a brand like BMW! Teslas take a long time to repair because Tesla is incompetent at managing anything more than a lunch line. Generally I'd say folks in this forum expect more and that's why they bought a BMW.
Appreciate 2
      02-11-2024, 03:28 PM   #39
SouthFLGuy
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW iX

I think dealers can sour you on the entire experience. BMW builds amazing cars, but my dealer is pretty bad. I wouldn't go as far to say this is an entitlement post - but when you pay upwards of $100K the whole network should be ready.
Appreciate 4
      02-11-2024, 04:27 PM   #40
Bmwno6
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW iX50, 2024 BMW X5

When you pay over $100K for a car from a reputable premium manufacturer you expect premium service. There is a difference in expectations when you are at a premium hotel or premium retail store vs. a mass market one. I have not had major issues, but the ones I had, show that the roll out of the car was poorly planned and poorly executed and still is. It is a shame because it is a pretty good car but god help me if I have a minor technical issue that requires parts to be replaced.
Appreciate 4
      02-11-2024, 05:20 PM   #41
ssingh1975
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '24 BMW IX, Jeep Gladiator

I love our IX but my truck is the choice for longer road trips and any severe winter driving.

And this is also my 1st EV and I'm glad I leased it as while I love driving it and the tech, I'd rather get a hybrid gasser instead. I'm just not sold on EV yet...regardless of manufacturer.

One of my major beef is lack of public charging infrastructure unlike Tesla superchargers. I've had average experience with public charging with Electrifying America. But home charging is really good, especially since I get discounted charging rates from 12 midnight to 6am.

And one of the other things that concern me is the glasstop roof. I've had a small rock bounce off it and I literally thought it was gonna shatter. It was fine afterwards but now I'm treating the IX like a mall queen.
Appreciate 1
deutsch1004010.00
      02-12-2024, 10:38 AM   #42
deutsch100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i7 60, XM, M3 Comp, 911 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssingh1975 View Post
And one of the other things that concern me is the glasstop roof. I've had a small rock bounce off it and I literally thought it was gonna shatter. It was fine afterwards but now I'm treating the IX like a mall queen.
THIS! The iX seats and the fragile (and unnecessary) all glass roof are the 2 reasons I traded my really great iX for the new i5. Just knowing one rock can cause a near $20k repair and put my iX out of service for months made me, in all honestly, begin to fear taking my iX out of the garage. Living in So Cal, we need our car as public transportation is dismal. I cannot be afraid of using my car
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2024, 03:59 PM   #43
Ginuwine209
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW iX 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssingh1975 View Post
I love our IX but my truck is the choice for longer road trips and any severe winter driving.

And this is also my 1st EV and I'm glad I leased it as while I love driving it and the tech, I'd rather get a hybrid gasser instead. I'm just not sold on EV yet...regardless of manufacturer.

One of my major beef is lack of public charging infrastructure unlike Tesla superchargers. I've had average experience with public charging with Electrifying America. But home charging is really good, especially since I get discounted charging rates from 12 midnight to 6am.

You make a good point With the charging infrastructure. Keep in mind, Tesla will be opening up their network to all manufacturers, including BMW by 2025.
2023 BMW iX50; 2023 BMW i435; 2018 BMW X5 35ixdrive - Jb4; 2018 530e M Sport Alpine White - AC Schnitzer; 2017 F80 ZCP Sakhir Orange - VF Engineering Hex (Sold); 2016 F82 ZCP Black Sapphire - VF Engineering Hex (sold); 2016 BMW i3 - "Tuned" - Coded (Sold)
Appreciate 2
      02-12-2024, 11:46 PM   #44
ickyfehmleh
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW iX xDrive50

Quote:
I find it totally unacceptable that a premium brand, at a premium price, treats customers so poorly, holding my car to the parts department. Way to establish brand loyalty BMW!

Never had issues with Japanese cars. Guess the next one will be one of them.
Oh boy.

My car was at the dealership for 99 days during which time the dealership refused to respond to emails and phone calls for 25 of those days. I had to troll BMW on Twitter to get any sort of response. When the dealership finally admitted it was a warranty issue, BMW effectively told me to go pick up my car -- they refused to discuss a buyback or any sort of compensation for the 3 months I had been paying for a vehicle I couldn't use due to a manufacturing defect.

To top it all off, the dealership billed me for work they didn't complete and lost my vehicle registration.
Appreciate 0