BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Geico Mechanical Breakdown Insurance vs BMW tire/wheel insurance

11-16-2020, 09:36 PM   #1
Brokenbones
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2c and S2000

Geico Mechanical Breakdown Insurance vs BMW tire/wheel insurance

Hi
i drive the wonderfully smooth roads of NYC and am replacing my s2000 with a M2c. Dealer wants to sell me a tire/wheel insurance, don’t know price yet, but I’ll likely have geico MBI. I understand Geico MBI doesn’t cover tire damage, but sounds like it covers wheels, does anyone know?

If it does and I usually use tire rack so am covered by their tire coverage, easy to use and very helpful reps, then I’m not sure the BMW insurance will be worth it especially since I have aftermarket winters(betting BMW won’t cover those)... any opinions? Used to hear that BMW wheels bent easily but that was years ago.

Thanks for any input.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 12:00 AM   #2
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

The wheels on the M2C are forged, so it’ll take quite a bit more force to bend those wheels. I’m not sure if MBI will cover that or just the regular insurance. I got MBI and ended up declining all BMW insurance policies.

Welcome by the way. There are weirdly a lot of former S2K owners that went with the M2C. I previously had an AP1 Silverstone Metallic. Fantastic car and it’s the only car I regretted selling!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 01:19 AM   #3
JggyM2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

I say keep the s2k and add on the M2c, way to go if possible!!!
      11-17-2020, 08:43 AM   #4
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

read the terms and conditions of both and you'll know. Otherwise it's just anecdotal.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 09:41 AM   #5
Hingle Mccringleberry
Private
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C

Not sure if Geico’s mechanical breakdown coverage will cover wheels or not, but it doesn’t kick in until the original manufacturer’s warranty expires...

I think it only covers “breakdown” including electronic things like the radio. I think wheel damage would qualify as traumatic typically...

I have the coverage on all of my vehicles BTW

Last edited by Hingle Mccringleberry; 11-17-2020 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: Adding info
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 11:33 AM   #6
wavyyyy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
2023 bmw m3 6mt  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hingle Mccringleberry View Post
Not sure if Geico’s mechanical breakdown coverage will cover wheels or not, but it doesn’t kick in until the original manufacturer’s warranty expires...

I think it only covers “breakdown” including electronic things like the radio. I think wheel damage would qualify as traumatic typically...

It runs concurrently with factory warranty actually.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 06:02 PM   #7
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
The wheels on the M2C are forged, so it’ll take quite a bit more force to bend those wheels.
I'm not sure that's true. Forged wheels would be stronger if all else is equal, but normally that means they use less material to achieve that lighter weight. I don't know that the rigidity is any greater than a BMW OEM cast wheel.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 10:29 PM   #8
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
I'm not sure that's true. Forged wheels would be stronger if all else is equal, but normally that means they use less material to achieve that lighter weight. I don't know that the rigidity is any greater than a BMW OEM cast wheel.
General rule is cast wheels crack/break and forged bend. Forged are generally stronger and lighter.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 12:07 AM   #9
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got f1? View Post
General rule is cast wheels crack/break and forged bend. Forged are generally stronger and lighter.
Again, I am not sure that is true. The reason they are lighter is because they are able to use less material to achieve the same strength. There is no free lunch. If the wheels were the same weight, then I am sure the forged wheel would be stronger. A design that is aggressively weight-optimized is not necessarily stronger. I will stand corrected if an expert can inform us.

https://www.apexraceparts.com/blog/f...t-mean-strong/
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 12:19 PM   #10
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Again, I am not sure that is true. The reason they are lighter is because they are able to use less material to achieve the same strength. There is no free lunch. If the wheels were the same weight, then I am sure the forged wheel would be stronger. A design that is aggressively weight-optimized is not necessarily stronger. I will stand corrected if an expert can inform us.

https://www.apexraceparts.com/blog/f...t-mean-strong/
I hear what you are saying and you're not wrong, but let's look at it from a perhaps a different scenario. Let's say your run over a road hazard like a fairly substantial pothole. The impact point on the wheel is likely to be fairly small. The rim lip will absorb most of that impact. In a forged wheel there is more material compressed into that area which makes it less brittle. A cast wheel is far more porous, contains greater volumes of air, and will be more prone to cracking. You are correct in that the advantage of forged wheels is less weight, but typically the majority of the weight reduction comes from the spoke design, center bore, versus the wheel barrel. Of course there is going to variants in wheel design so you are definitely correct in that a 25 lbs cast wheel might be stronger than a 20 lb forged wheel, especially if there is less material around the barrel and rim lip. Hard to say without crash testing both back to back. Point is, lots of variables at play.

But in regards to the 788M wheel on the M2c, it's still a fairly weighty wheel at around 25 lbs front and 26 lbs rear (if I remember correctly). Compared to a wheel like the 763M or BBS FIR which around closer to 20 lbs. I think the strength is there, but not so confident that I'll run into potholes to test the theory.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      11-19-2020, 12:42 PM   #11
Sublime00
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokenbones View Post
Hi
i drive the wonderfully smooth roads of NYC and am replacing my s2000 with a M2c. Dealer wants to sell me a tire/wheel insurance, don’t know price yet, but I’ll likely have geico MBI. I understand Geico MBI doesn’t cover tire damage, but sounds like it covers wheels, does anyone know?

If it does and I usually use tire rack so am covered by their tire coverage, easy to use and very helpful reps, then I’m not sure the BMW insurance will be worth it especially since I have aftermarket winters(betting BMW won’t cover those)... any opinions? Used to hear that BMW wheels bent easily but that was years ago.

Thanks for any input.
I called Geico.

MBI doesn't cover wheel damage. If you make a claim it'll go through your comprehensive insurance and you'll have to pay deductible
Appreciate 1
pz6193278.50
      11-19-2020, 05:16 PM   #12
Brokenbones
Private First Class
Rep

Damn. Thanks for checking. Was gonna call tonight after work.

Dealer coverage is 2800 for 5 years. Thinking that’s a bit steep as even ps4s are 350 or so... but hopefully don’t crack a wheel, then just insurance deductible. Guess I’ll have to start driving like I’m driving ms daisy...

Don’t believe that all forged wheels are stronger, just probably on balance stronger for the weight, but most forged wheels aim for light weight...

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by Brokenbones; 11-20-2020 at 05:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 05:59 PM   #13
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokenbones View Post

Dealer coverage is 2800 for 5 years. Thinking that's a bit steep as even ps4s are 350 or so... but hopefully don't crack a wheel, then just insurance deductible. Guess I'll have to start driving like I'm driving ms daisy...

Don't believe that all forged wheels are stronger, just probably on balance stronger for the weight, but most forged wheels aim for light weight...

Thanks guys!
Don't bother, I put money on it that you have a better chance of totaling your car, before you crack or bend an OEM forged wheel. And I drive in NYC, where most of the roads resembles a post war-torn Gaza Strip.

From personal experience, I spun around a turn, lost control and slammed smack-dab into a curb, destroying the side skirts and most of the suspension control arms.. The only thing that held up strong was the OEM forged wheel, without much of a nick. I was extremely impressed with its durability and have no doubt that they can survive the Armageddon.

Forged wheels are 3x stronger and 25% lighter than a cast wheel. The only drawbacks to them is the high cost but they are like so worth it..

Our version of glass-smooth roads:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 06:13 PM   #14
Brokenbones
Private First Class
Rep

Agreed and damn those roads are mint, glassy smooth. I’ll put it towards ppf as will be my daily year round driver. And yes ppf’s a whole other bag of squirmy worms...
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 11:03 AM   #15
Hingle Mccringleberry
Private
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavyyyy View Post
I recognize that you have to purchase the coverage on your policy as the original owner, before you have owned for 15 months, and before the car has clocked 15k miles, but the extended coverage provided by the policy does not start until the expiration of the original factory warranty. I don't think that qualifies as dual coverage running concurrently...
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 11:28 AM   #16
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Not sure if Geico's mechanical breakdown coverage will cover wheels or not, but it doesn't kick in until the original manufacturer's warranty expires...

I think it only covers "breakdown" including electronic things like the radio. I think wheel damage would qualify as traumatic typically...

Quote:
I recognize that you have to purchase the coverage on your policy as the original owner, before you have owned for 15 months, and before the car has clocked 15k miles, but the extended coverage provided by the policy does not start until the expiration of the original factory warranty. I don't think that qualifies as dual coverage running concurrently...
The Geico MBI is coverage is active simultaneously, even when your factory warranty is available.

So say the dealer denies your claim for some BS reason, Geico MBI would kick in and pick up the bill, minus the deductible.. In the insurance world this is called a "Secondary Coverage"...

In fact, the deductible is cheaper while your factory warranty is still active.

I have it, they paid for thousands of dollars of repairs - it's certainly worth every single penny it cost..

However, this would not covered wheel damage, as a result of physical damage. That falls under your "Collision" coverage and is considered an at-fault incident.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 02:37 PM   #17
Hingle Mccringleberry
Private
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
The Geico MBI is coverage is active simultaneously, even when your factory warranty is available.

So say the dealer denies your claim for some BS reason, Geico MBI would kick in and pick up the bill, minus the deductible.. In the insurance world this is called a "Secondary Coverage"...

I have it, they paid for thousands of dollars of repairs - it's certainly worth every single penny it cost..

However, this would not covered wheel damage, as a result of physical damage. That falls under your "Collision" coverage and is considered an at-fault incident.
I read the policy documents and I stand corrected! Anybody have any examples of how the manufacturer warranty would be denied but Geico would pick up the slack? Does anybody think a tune, with or without hardware changes, would void the Geico MBI during the manufacturer warranty period? I have the Carbahn tune and bought the warranty with it to cover catastrophic failure (crank hub) during the OEM warranty period, but now wondering if I should have just depended on the Geico coverage to fix the car. I think out of the OEM warranty period, I would likely just take the car to the shop that installed the tune if it had a major mechanical issue, in order to submit to Geico if I was between the 4th-7th years and 50k-100k miles of ownership.

I don't see in the policy documents, at least for NC, that they specify mechanical breakdown secondary to installation of an aftermarket part or software would void the Geico MBI warranty, only repairs necessitated by abuse, negligence, and regular wear and tear are seemingly not covered, along with the aftermarket parts themselves. Just curious. I may be wrong, as the incorrect statements I've written above prove that I don't read very good...
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 03:07 PM   #18
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Not sure if Geico's mechanical breakdown coverage will cover wheels or not, but it doesn't kick in until the original manufacturer's warranty expires...

I think it only covers "breakdown" including electronic things like the radio. I think wheel damage would qualify as traumatic typically...

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I read the policy documents and I stand corrected! Anybody have any examples of how the manufacturer warranty would be denied but Geico would pick up the slack? Does anybody think a tune, with or without hardware changes, would void the Geico MBI during the manufacturer warranty period? I have the Carbahn tune and bought the warranty with it to cover catastrophic failure (crank hub) during the OEM warranty period, but now wondering if I should have just depended on the Geico coverage to fix the car. I think out of the OEM warranty period, I would likely just take the car to the shop that installed the tune if it had a major mechanical issue, in order to submit to Geico if I was between the 4th-7th years and 50k-100k miles of ownership.

I don't see in the policy documents, at least for NC, that they specify mechanical breakdown secondary to installation of an aftermarket part or software would void the Geico MBI warranty, only repairs necessitated by abuse, negligence, and regular wear and tear are seemingly not covered, along with the aftermarket parts themselves. Just curious. I may be wrong, as the incorrect statements I've written above prove that I don't read very good...
I mean, I pretty much spelled it out to you, with examples and what not, so I'm not sure why there is still any confusion.

You have an active factory warranty; cool, you get stuff fixed for free.

Being that you also have active Geico MBI coverage, doesn't mean it's not valid or you have to wait until the factory warranty to expires before it can be used.

It's just that you have to go through the factory warranty first and then if they say no, for whatever reason or the factory coverage expires, whichever comes first, then Geico will pay.

And long story short, Geico they don't care about mods; their adjuster just verify the defect with the shop, maybe take some photos of vehicle or signs of mechanical breakdown and write a check, same as any other typical Geico insurance claim.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 04:03 PM   #19
Hingle Mccringleberry
Private
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
I mean, I pretty much spelled it out to you, with examples and what not, so I'm not sure why there is still any confusion.

You have an active factory warranty; cool, you get stuff fixed for free.

Being that you also have active Geico MBI coverage, doesn't mean it's not valid or you have to wait until the factory warranty to expires before it can be used.

It's just that you have to go through the factory warranty first and then if they say no, for whatever reason or the factory coverage expires, whichever comes first, then Geico will pay.

And long story short, Geico they don't care about mods; their adjuster just verify the defect with the shop, maybe take some photos of vehicle or signs of mechanical breakdown and write a check, same as any other typical Geico insurance claim.
You did not provide any specific examples of when MBI may provide secondary coverage during the OEM warranty period. You said "So say the dealer denies your claim for some BS reason, Geico MBI would kick in and pick up the bill, minus the deductible.." , and then said "I have it, they paid for thousands of dollars of repairs - it's certainly worth every single penny it cost.." I don't exactly think either of those statements are providing any specifics.

I kind of may have answered my own question in my response about Geico MBI covering if the OEM warranty is void bc of aftermarket mods. I'm honestly just surprised that if this is the case, it's not more well known!

I was honestly curious if anyone has been denied OEM new car warranty coverage by BMW if they have abided by all of the rules set forth in the warranty? ie. no tune/aftermarket parts, no abuse, no neglect
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 05:25 PM   #20
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You did not provide any specific examples of when MBI may provide secondary coverage during the OEM warranty period. You said "So say the dealer denies your claim for some BS reason, Geico MBI would kick in and pick up the bill, minus the deductible.." , and then said "I have it, they paid for thousands of dollars of repairs - it's certainly worth every single penny it cost.." I don't exactly think either of those statements are providing any specifics.

I kind of may have answered my own question in my response about Geico MBI covering if the OEM warranty is void bc of aftermarket mods. I'm honestly just surprised that if this is the case, it's not more well known!

I was honestly curious if anyone has been denied OEM new car warranty coverage by BMW if they have abided by all of the rules set forth in the warranty? ie. no tune/aftermarket parts, no abuse, no neglect
If you didn't tamper with the vehicle and everything is kosher, as far as physical damage goes; then yes, the factory warranty will cover any defects, without any hassle and you wouldn't need Geico MBI.

However, let's say you have/had some mods that the dealer somehow arbitrarily connected the defect to, since they frown upon most changes to the vehicle and refuse to fix it under the factory coverage, then you can use Geico's MBI and they will more than likely pay, since their standards for "modifications" are much more liberal, as oppose to the dealer/BMW's stringent criteria.
Appreciate 0