11-16-2020, 04:53 PM   #1
GFEA
@333m2c
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c f87 S55

Garage List
Tack Build - M2C

Been following the threads for a while and Excited to finally start my own. It'll be a long process as I am self funding this track build.

Here's the plan:

Purchases a used 2020 Bmw M2c (dct) last week

The build will be entirely track oriented. The goal is to have this thing be a dream on the track. But since I can't afford to have two cars it will also be a daily driver.

The first hurdle was with BM3 Bootmod as the DME was locked by BMW. Needless to say, the DME is already taken out of the car and being shipped to pro-tunign freaks in Ontario today for them to unlock it and send it back. (Side note, they were incredible on the customer service side of things so far for this process.)

Stryker Performance in Orange County will be doing a lot of the work. Thanks Sam!

The first step in the build is:
- Stage 1 BM3 tune
- AFE Intake
- Macht Schnell wheel spacers (15mm front / 12 mm back)
- SS brake lines (Spiegler)
- Motul 660 brake fluid
- Ferodo DS1.11 pads (only for when on track)

Next steps are entirely dependent on what I can afford at any given time but the plan is:
- MCS 3 way suspension
- AP Brake kit
- Charge pipes, intercooler, downpipes, full cat less exhaust

Here's why I'm making the Thread:

- Really looking for input and feedback on getting the car track ready, the car may go to a meet or two but that's not it's purpose. I've never built a track car before and the only thing I've ever raced is go-karts for 10 years.

Enjoy the progress and open to feedback!
Attached Images

Last edited by GFEA; 11-16-2020 at 05:16 PM..
Appreciate 3
Fabb228.50
ebisu81079.50
      11-16-2020, 09:49 PM   #2
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Appreciate your dedicated focus. I see you have karting experience. I assume you're speaking about HPDE regarding your track/street build? If so, why not just start with track pads, fluids, tires, and camber. Unless your planning on wheel to wheel racing or time attack, why invest so much more until you have the M2C sorted out on the track and get a better feel for it in relatively stock form. If you're an advanced track driver, I can see the power and other upgrades to maximize your advanced skills. If your are, then by all means disregard my question and go for all the modifications to increase your driving limits.

I have a few years of HPDE experience but been out of it for a few years now. Personally, I believe it's difficult to make the M2C a true track weapon unless it sheds some serious weight. That would then entail roll cage, rear set delete, additional unsprung weight gains, etc., all of which take it away from comfort/convenience of driving it as a DD as well. I assume you're an advanced driver and thought these things out already. If so looking forward to seeing how your build turns out.
      11-16-2020, 11:08 PM   #3
Fabb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageMadness View Post
Appreciate your dedicated focus. I see you have karting experience. I assume you're speaking about HPDE regarding your track/street build? If so, why not just start with track pads, fluids, tires, and camber. Unless your planning on wheel to wheel racing or time attack, why invest so much more until you have the M2C sorted out on the track and get a better feel for it in relatively stock form. If you're an advanced track driver, I can see the power and other upgrades to maximize your advanced skills. If your are, then by all means disregard my question and go for all the modifications to increase your driving limits.

I have a few years of HPDE experience but been out of it for a few years now. Personally, I believe it's difficult to make the M2C a true track weapon unless it sheds some serious weight. That would then entail roll cage, rear set delete, additional unsprung weight gains, etc., all of which take it away from comfort/convenience of driving it as a DD as well. I assume you're an advanced driver and thought these things out already. If so looking forward to seeing how your build turns out.
Kinda agree with some of your points here. My initial track mods includes brake pads, SRF fluid, camber plates and cup2 tires. I tracked stock form for two days to get a good feel of the car.

But imo let the man have fun with his car. not here to judge the tune and spacer
      11-16-2020, 11:37 PM   #4
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabb View Post
Quote:

Kinda agree with some of your points here. My initial track mods includes brake pads, SRF fluid, camber plates and cup2 tires. I tracked stock form for two days to get a good feel of the car.

But imo let the man have fun with his car. not here to judge the tune and spacer
fair enough although he is asking for feedback.
      11-17-2020, 12:03 AM   #5
Fabb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
For sure we'll be getting along just fine! Love your sunset orange and clean garage haha.. Maybe I should start my own build page too
      11-17-2020, 12:11 AM   #6
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabb View Post
Quote:
For sure we'll be getting along just fine! Love your sunset orange and clean garage haha.. Maybe I should start my own build page too
Let's see that build.
      11-17-2020, 07:18 AM   #7
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

I agree with starting with fluid, pads, camber plates and grippier tires once the stock ones wear out.

I disagree that the M2C isn't or can't be a track weapon. Especially for beginner to intermediate HPDE level that wants to drive the car home.

I've done 5 track days now and 3 autocross events. With just a brake fluid upgrade, it holds up well on track and handles its weight just fine. I was significantly faster than most e36/e46 cars in my class and held my own with the big Corvettes and the like.

It won't compare to a full stripped, caged, track beast on slicks that the advanced group trailers to the track but that's not the point of getting the car to the track and enjoying it as is.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 12:31 PM   #8
GFEA
@333m2c
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Thank you for the feedback!

Despite having a lot of conceptual knowledge my practical knowledge in a car is limited, I'll admit that i expect the learning curve to be fairly straight forward but I'm likely being arrogant in that matter so I'll find out day 1 on track where I really stand.

Haven't really decided which route the car will go as far as competing, I don't have enough money to throw at it for it to be all to competitive so right now I'm just trying to have fun and live my dreams; but we'll see where it goes.

I totally agree with you, power will be the last focus here and brakes and suspension will be the first major upgrades after I get a feel for it stock.

The BM3 tune was more to be able to control the cpu and of course for fun. (In all transparency it was to flex over my m4 friends just a little but I doubt I'll be running stage 1 on track for at least a few sessions.

When I can afford to have two cars then I'll be thinking about cage, rear seat delete and all of those things I'm just not there in my life yet... unfortunately.

Brake pads (when on track), fluid, and brake lines will be going on as soon as they come in the mail!

Thank you!

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1805010
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2020, 12:43 PM   #9
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

I would install a crank hub solution if you are going to bump the power. Last thing you want is to grenade the motor.

Congrats on new ride!

Last edited by robertm; 11-18-2020 at 07:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 01:01 PM   #10
GFEA
@333m2c
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
I would install a crank hub solution if you are going to bump the power. Last thing you want it to grenade the motor.

Congrats on new ride!
Thank you! I'm ordering one now someone was DMing me about that last night and I was trippin'.

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 01:01 PM   #11
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFEA View Post
Quote:

Thank you for the feedback!

Despite having a lot of conceptual knowledge my practical knowledge in a car is limited, I'll admit that i expect the learning curve to be fairly straight forward but I'm likely being arrogant in that matter so I'll find out day 1 on track where I really stand.

Haven't really decided which route the car will go as far as competing, I don't have enough money to throw at it for it to be all to competitive so right now I'm just trying to have fun and live my dreams; but we'll see where it goes.

I totally agree with you, power will be the last focus here and brakes and suspension will be the first major upgrades after I get a feel for it stock.

The BM3 tune was more to be able to control the cpu and of course for fun. (In all transparency it was to flex over my m4 friends just a little but I doubt I'll be running stage 1 on track for at least a few sessions.

When I can afford to have two cars then I'll be thinking about cage, rear seat delete and all of those things I'm just not there in my life yet... unfortunately.

Brake pads (when on track), fluid, and brake lines will be going on as soon as they come in the mail!

Thank you!
sounds like a plan. if I was to do a street/track build I would do the following for HPDE track days. my focus would be initially pushing limits at stock levels and then progress methodically with some modifications that stretch my learning curve. just how my brain works and learns. anything beyond these mods would entail significant dollars, time, and track dedicated focus for the M2C. just not sure if my wallet could handle the price of consumables for the M2C. thats why I use S2000 at the track. any power upgrades would involve not just tuning solutions but also the crank hub modification along with extensive safety and weight loss modifications. at that point it's no longer a street/track build. ideal situation is to have 2 M2C's: one manual for DD and one DCT for track dedicated car.

Initially:
- camber plates with more neg camber upfront
- SS brake lines
- track pads
- 200 tread tires
- HBP brake fluid
- stock tune and suspension
- corner balance and alignment
- lots of seat time (achieve comfort with slip angle)

After first or second HPDE season:
- coilover setup or cheaper option is just springs (eliminate progressive rear spring)
- maybe sway bar setup
- some mild aero to build on faster splits
- corner balance and alignment

love what you said about flexing the stage 1 tune over your M3 friends.....nice.

shoot video and post on the track page and I'm sure you will get some great feedback from others who have serious track builds in play.
      11-17-2020, 06:58 PM   #12
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

I would recommend to skip the following

* Charge pipes, intercooler, downpipes, full cat less exhaust

For a budgetary track car, engine longevity is most crucial, a CS tune is probably at the level that I feel is comfortable without having to rebuild the short block every 30k or come across an engine overheating issue on a steamy hot day. For a casual track car a stage 1 tune is probably ok but not for endurance tracking...Have a glance at the running cost of the M4 GT4 should give you an idea of the funds involved in running a serious track car.

https://www.bmw-motorsport.com/conte...8005604328.pdf

I would suggest getting a set of wider forged wheels to house wider R/slick tyres...9.5 front and 10.5 rear at a minimum...the stock 245/265 setup is too small and your tyres will overheat and get torn up easily. If you are keeping the stock BBK, a 265/295 30 19 is a good start and just off the top of my head, the new Michelin Cup 2 connect, Pirelli Trofeo R and Toyo R888R range have tyres in those sizes. Better yet, get AP/Alcon BBK and go back to 18 and you have every size available from all the tyre manufacturers.

The M2 is naturally tail happy when getting on power and the front weight bias also promotes understeer, so spend money on aero to increase high speed traction on all four wheels.

Last edited by Karmic Man; 11-17-2020 at 07:21 PM..
Appreciate 1
Fabb228.50
      11-18-2020, 12:57 PM   #13
GFEA
@333m2c
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
I would recommend to skip the following

* Charge pipes, intercooler, downpipes, full cat less exhaust

For a budgetary track car, engine longevity is most crucial, a CS tune is probably at the level that I feel is comfortable without having to rebuild the short block every 30k or come across an engine overheating issue on a steamy hot day. For a casual track car a stage 1 tune is probably ok but not for endurance tracking...Have a glance at the running cost of the M4 GT4 should give you an idea of the funds involved in running a serious track car.

https://www.bmw-motorsport.com/conte...8005604328.pdf

I would suggest getting a set of wider forged wheels to house wider R/slick tyres...9.5 front and 10.5 rear at a minimum...the stock 245/265 setup is too small and your tyres will overheat and get torn up easily. If you are keeping the stock BBK, a 265/295 30 19 is a good start and just off the top of my head, the new Michelin Cup 2 connect, Pirelli Trofeo R and Toyo R888R range have tyres in those sizes. Better yet, get AP/Alcon BBK and go back to 18 and you have every size available from all the tyre manufacturers.

The M2 is naturally tail happy when getting on power and the front weight bias also promotes understeer, so spend money on aero to increase high speed traction on all four wheels.
Thank You! Really helpful I appreciate it.

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 03:50 PM   #14
GFEA
@333m2c
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Ya'll been a ton of help!

Updates:
- Pro Tuning Freaks is unlocking the DME tomorrow then sending it back (Stay tuned for if this worked)

Here's what's going on likely this week:
- Ferodo DS1.11 Pads (when on track)
- AFE Magnum Stage 2 intake
- Bm3 stage 1 tune (For off track until I'm comfortable on track)
- Wheel spacers (Gonna try the 15mm and we will see if that fits)
- Tow Hooks etc
- Spiegel SS brake lines
- Motul 660 brake fluid
-Vargas tt Crank bolt capture

Currently looking towards:

Coil overs / camber kit #1
(Torn b/t Kw club sport or MCS) - Don't really want to upgrade them again later so I'm willing to invest in this

Then dedicated set of wheels and tires #2
-18" Apex Ec-7 (10" / 11") (10"/10) (9.5" / 10.5") Are all possible combos still torn here on which route to go
- Not sure on which tires yet

*There's also a really good chance I'll be ordering a Milltek Cat-back exhaust and a vrsf downpipe because I'm single and it's cool as hell lets face it.

Aero Parts #4
- Still having a really hard time understanding why some of these aero parts are so fucking expensive and what the best route to go on front splitter and things are

After that I'll be selling my body and worldly possessions for an AP racing brake kit #5

The goals to be on track by December 12th or 13th for Speed Ventures at Willow Springs

Big shout out to @strykerperformance. If you're in OC or LA look up Sam, he's a ledged.

Last edited by GFEA; 11-18-2020 at 04:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 04:39 PM   #15
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep

With 18" wheels you'll have to buy the BBK sooner than later as smaller diameter wheels don't fit over tht stock brakes. SOW is so much fun for sure.
      11-18-2020, 05:12 PM   #16
GFEA
@333m2c
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
With 18" wheels you'll have to buy the BBK sooner than later as smaller diameter wheels don't fit over tht stock brakes. SOW is so much fun for sure.
Dammit that's terrible news. Ty.

And yes I've driven SOW in a kart multiple times but never in a car so I'm excited.

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 05:36 PM   #17
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Dammit that's terrible news. Ty.

And yes I've driven SOW in a kart multiple times but never in a car so I'm excited.
why do you want 12mm spacers for the track? with lowered suspension you don't need that much spacer especially of you get non-conical coilover springs as you won't encounter any inside rubbing with those springs. also why not conisder a complete coilover system with camber plates like TC Kline. many consider his setup to be track tested as he develops and tests them with his M2. appropriate camber and corner balance will save your tires and brakes considerably over successive track sessions. not to mention how it will impact handling.
      11-18-2020, 06:29 PM   #18
GFEA
@333m2c
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
why do you want 12mm spacers for the track? with lowered suspension you don't need that much spacer especially of you get non-conical coilover springs as you won't encounter any inside rubbing with those springs. also why not conisder a complete coilover system with camber plates like TC Kline. many consider his setup to be track tested as he develops and tests them with his M2. appropriate camber and corner balance will save your tires and brakes considerably over successive track sessions. not to mention how it will impact handling.
The 12 / 15mm set up was entirely a result of me doing my own homework but looking back it was likely a cosmetic suggestion and not a performance one. I have no issue with holding off on spacers, going smaller, or returning them.
- Really the reason I made this thread. Navigating the difference between track performance upgrades and cosmetic upgrades has been pretty tough for me.

And Ty for the coil over suggestion! I haven't made up my mind yet so I'll look into that one.

Appreciate 1
      11-18-2020, 07:09 PM   #19
Fabb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The 12 / 15mm set up was entirely a result of me doing my own homework but looking back it was likely a cosmetic suggestion and not a performance one. I have no issue with holding off on spacers, going smaller, or returning them.
- Really the reason I made this thread. Navigating the difference between track performance upgrades and cosmetic upgrades has been pretty tough for me.

And Ty for the coil over suggestion! I haven't made up my mind yet so I'll look into that one.
Nobody gets it right the first time so I think you're doing great

Definitely put the camber plates with alignment on the top of your list before next trackday unless you hate money and want to trash your tires in the first day.. I do know someone in bay area is selling his MCS 1way with GC camber plates for 3.8k so if you need plug PM me lol
      11-18-2020, 08:36 PM   #20
ebisu8
Dom
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Comp

Congrats on this and I look forward to seeing the journey!
      11-20-2020, 07:11 AM   #21
beMtroubleYou
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C '18

Garage List
2018 M2C  [0.00]
Why spacers tho
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 01:24 PM   #22
GFEA
@333m2c
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beMtroubleYou View Post
Why spacers tho
Returning them it was a stupid purchase. Still figuring this out.

Appreciate 0