BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > UK > Considering a M2 Comp...

09-07-2020, 05:43 AM   #1
TD444
Registered
Rep
Drives: Porsche

Considering a M2 Comp...

Hello all,

Newbie on here - first time post...

I am considering a M2 Comp - coming from a Porsche Macan... I may be mad in the head but I am sure all on here could be biased...
I am what you would call middle aged and have 2 young kids (6 & 1 year old) so any info on anyone having baby seats in the back also helpful.

Anything i should be considering on a purchase? It is likely to be new...
Both the M packs are noted, but anything else?

What are everyones thoughts on bigger brakes?

I suppose the big question is the gearbox - Manual or DCT? I am undecided and wanted a few thoughts from the owners out there..
I have watched many YouTube videos but not any the wiser as yet...

Looking forward to some thoughts...

Cheers
T
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 12:29 PM   #2
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
Hello there.

Well regards space in the rear, you will certainly fit a child seat, there is isofix and ample enough room, particularly behind the passenger seat.

Regards spec I'm probably the wrong person to comment as my M2C has every optional extra apart from M drivers pack.

Personally I think the big brakes are a must. Many will disagree, but for me, with having HS paint I think they compliment the car perfectly and are massive. This in itself can have a downfall in that there have been instances of small stones getting stuck and scoring alloys, etc. I personally haven't experienced this over 26k miles in the car.

I think the 2 packs plus BBK is a good spec.

Mines also a DCT as I'm mostly over manuals now in this type of car, when being used as my daily driver. It's really your preference.

if there's anything particular you'd like to know about the car just let me know.
Lotus Emira (on order)
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 05:45 AM   #3
TD444
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazC View Post
Hello there.

Well regards space in the rear, you will certainly fit a child seat, there is isofix and ample enough room, particularly behind the passenger seat.

Regards spec I'm probably the wrong person to comment as my M2C has every optional extra apart from M drivers pack.

Personally I think the big brakes are a must. Many will disagree, but for me, with having HS paint I think they compliment the car perfectly and are massive. This in itself can have a downfall in that there have been instances of small stones getting stuck and scoring alloys, etc. I personally haven't experienced this over 26k miles in the car.

Mines also a DCT as I'm mostly over manuals now in this type of car, when being used as my daily driver. It's really your preference.

if there's anything particular you'd like to know about the car just let me know.
Thanks for the reply - good to hear i can get some child seats in - might not be very often but needed just in case...
I see many have the 2 packs added mainly, i would aim to do same...
I do like the brakes, i have heard issues on them and even BMW are saying they are not needed / worth it but the do look good - cannot argue there...

What about servicing costs - what are they like? Has anyone added any carbon parts or the new M2 CS wheels in matt gold? I see they are expensive but wondering if there are any UK places that would have offers on...

Cheers
T
Hard to know on the g/box - i like the idea of a manual but the DCT may be best for this car - need to drive both to know which is hard as manuals are rare..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 01:15 PM   #4
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD444 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DazC View Post
Hello there.

Thanks for the reply - good to hear i can get some child seats in - might not be very often but needed just in case...
I see many have the 2 packs added mainly, i would aim to do same...
I do like the brakes, i have heard issues on them and even BMW are saying they are not needed / worth it but the do look good - cannot argue there...

What about servicing costs - what are they like? Has anyone added any carbon parts or the new M2 CS wheels in matt gold? I see they are expensive but wondering if there are any UK places that would have offers on...

Cheers
T
Hard to know on the g/box - i like the idea of a manual but the DCT may be best for this car - need to drive both to know which is hard as manuals are rare..
Servicing is in line with other M cars.

My RIS was free as included in the cars price. Think it's £200 odd.

My first oil service was around £250.

First major service is around £800+ I believe.

Cotswold BMW normally sell the Mperformance wheels and carbon parts at a reasonable price.

There's also Facebook groups for M2 and M2 Comp that are worthwhile joining.
Lotus Emira (on order)
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 02:19 AM   #5
TD444
Registered
Rep

Thanks...got my first drive yesterday and it was great, just have a decision to make now...lol

That said i really do like the CS wheels and carbon parts....I am sure genuine parts are expensive, what about aftermarket ones? Who is the best at a reasonable price?

I guess wheels are only going to come from BMW direct? I do see a few new sets on eBay with tyres for ~3.5k....is that the best I can hope for?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 03:20 AM   #6
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD444 View Post
Thanks...got my first drive yesterday and it was great, just have a decision to make now...lol

That said i really do like the CS wheels and carbon parts....I am sure genuine parts are expensive, what about aftermarket ones? Who is the best at a reasonable price?

I guess wheels are only going to come from BMW direct? I do see a few new sets on eBay with tyres for ~3.5k....is that the best I can hope for?
On wheels, I personally avoid 'copy' wheels. So either genuine or a reputable brand's like BBS, OZ, etc (which are also high price). M763 are a great wheel design and weight, so you can't really get a better OEM option. They do come up for sale used, but because of desirability they aren't massively cheaper considering tyre condition, etc.

Carbon parts, there are many copycats out there. Quality is a minefield.
Appreciate 0