BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Replaced steering wheel using warranty

08-03-2020, 08:01 PM   #23
gmhl10
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Not a M2 CS

Dealers don't check with BMW before approving the warranty typically. If they have to normally do that, sometimes, you're looking at days before you get an approval and that would back up so many other warranty work too. Technician diagnoses (or rather looks at the issue, in your case) and the service advisor and/or manager makes the call based on what is normal and abnormal wear in this case. After the job is done, the repair order is handed to the warranty clerk to submit the claim. In that instance, BMW will approve/deny or ask for more proof like the part itself or whatnot. But, you are right about if the dealership gets denied the warranty claim, that's not on you. That's why you got so lucky!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 02:41 PM   #24
Shahaf2911
Private
Israel
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhl10 View Post
Dealers don't check with BMW before approving the warranty typically. If they have to normally do that, sometimes, you're looking at days before you get an approval and that would back up so many other warranty work too. Technician diagnoses (or rather looks at the issue, in your case) and the service advisor and/or manager makes the call based on what is normal and abnormal wear in this case. After the job is done, the repair order is handed to the warranty clerk to submit the claim. In that instance, BMW will approve/deny or ask for more proof like the part itself or whatnot. But, you are right about if the dealership gets denied the warranty claim, that's not on you. That's why you got so lucky!
You might be right, but as far as I'm aware of on how they work in my county, which is just -1 hours difference in time zones, so it's less of an issue when it comes for getting an approval for things under warranty, i can't say that you're wrong as what you say does seem logical to work this way but it can also be not the only way they work (meaning different countries different procedures).
I will surely be looking in to it a bit more to know and understand better how things work exactly (because I might be wrong but I'm pretty positive on what I'm saying)
Appreciate 1
gmhl10384.50
      08-04-2020, 08:21 PM   #25
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Leather conditioners don't work on Dakota leather seats. They are sealed with a coating so nothing actually makes contact with the leather itself. If you pour water on the seat you'll see it bead up and just sit there because it doesn't get absorbed. Best thing to use on the seats is just cleaner.

Steering wheel and (I think) 6spd shift knob are nappa which should take conditioner. My steering wheel doesn't look too bad at 35k miles but the top of my shift knob is pretty bad.
Appreciate 3
chris7197273.00
Poochie9099.00
      08-04-2020, 08:51 PM   #26
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
Fedorov

'Shiny' is oil and dirt accumulation . . . try the Leatherique and you will get that matte finish and grip back.

///AVM
I am not entirely sure that it's only oil and dirt. A lot of matte products in high-contact areas will turn shiny because friction over time has essentially smoothed it to a shine. Quite common with textured plastics.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 09:09 PM   #27
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
Fedorov

'Shiny' is oil and dirt accumulation . . . try the Leatherique and you will get that matte finish and grip back.

///AVM
I am not entirely sure that it's only oil and dirt. A lot of matte products in high-contact areas will turn shiny because friction over time has essentially smoothed it to a shine. Quite common with textured plastics.
Quite possible Chris, but I've seen Leatherique bring a lot of leather back from the dead.

At the end of the day, we are talking about $50 to give Leatherique a try . . . versus what I'm guessing is about $1K for a new steering wheel.

Not a lot to lose by giving Leatherique a shot.

///AVM
Appreciate 2
chris7197273.00
      11-20-2020, 05:11 PM   #28
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
My Steering Wheel is being replaced after 30,000 miles due to white specs showing through the leather. BMW would not approve the warranty, my Dealer picked up the cost.
      11-20-2020, 06:07 PM   #29
stulio2181
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief1richard View Post
My Steering Wheel is being replaced after 30,000 miles due to white specs showing through the leather. BMW would not approve the warranty, my Dealer picked up the cost.
I had the white specs as well. Cleaned them off no problem. Not trying to discount your issue. I've got the MP wheel, so I also have the alcentara to deal with, but with regular maintenance it stands up. But not 100%. It's a pain in the ass.

The steering wheel is the highest touch point. Easily the most susceptible to wear and tear. Don't lube up before driving. Just my two cents.
Appreciate 1